BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Road Lay-out For Ewood Area?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've just read this thread for the first time in a while and have to chuckle at that Colin. You've obviously not read some of the posts.

Au contraire. I've read them.

Highway design & engineering and traffic flow modelling is one of those matters that, quite surprisingly, everyone has an honours degree in.

Add to this the image of that Harry Enfield character - the one who wore the white flat cap - and went round saying "'Ere you dont want to do it like thaaaaat, you want to do it like thiiiis."

Sums up this thread quite nicely.

Whilst it cost a princely sum of money, I think the new bridge looks very good. I had a similar problem to Lee the other day because I couldn't get from the Post Office to the lights by the old building by St Wilfrids but it's just a minor teething problem through not knowing the new road layout.

My one complaint about the bridge though is the ridiculous amount of space given on either side to cycle lanes. The lanes are cordoned off from the main traffic with big red markings. I know cycle lanes are very trendy and 'green' but it doesn't change the fact that hardly any bugger in Blackburn will use them. An extra lane on either side would have been much more useful - particularly when it comes to turning left onto Bolton Road where queuing traffic has only a small filter lane big enough for 2 vehicles.

Whilst it cost a princely sum of money, I think the new bridge looks very good. I had a similar problem to Lee the other day because I couldn't get from the Post Office to the lights by the old building by St Wilfrids but it's just a minor teething problem through not knowing the new road layout.

My one complaint about the bridge though is the ridiculous amount of space given on either side to cycle lanes. The lanes are cordoned off from the main traffic with big red markings. I know cycle lanes are very trendy and 'green' but it doesn't change the fact that hardly any bugger in Blackburn will use them. An extra lane on either side would have been much more useful - particularly when it comes to turning left onto Bolton Road where queuing traffic has only a small filter lane big enough for 2 vehicles.

I think the new bridge lay-out will be altered into 3 or 4 lanes once the Barbara Castle Way link road has been built.

Highway design & engineering and traffic flow modelling is one of those matters that, quite surprisingly, everyone has an honours degree in.

Spoken like a true petty bureaucrat , Colin ; arrogance with a distinct lack of common sense .

I take it you've never used the bridge yet ..... :rolleyes:

No doubt designed by the same twerps who paint a white line at great cost down a path designed for pedestrians (leaving barely enough room for said pedestrians let alone those with prams/children/dogs) and call it a cycle path.

The barmy scheme to spend millions of pounds to build bus lanes all over the A666 is a joke. The stated aim (in the leaflets they've published) is to reduce the average bus journey between Blackburn and Darwen from 31 minutes to 23 minutes. That's a quote from their garb.

Hardly worth all the hassle and expense, disruption to businesses and residents both during the roadworks and once their hair-brained scheme is up and running.

But what's even worse is that according to the current bus timetables - THE CURRENT TIMETABLED BUS SERVICE BETWEEN BLACKBURN AND DARWEN TAKES 24 MINUTES - not 31! It increases to 25 minutes in the evening peak!!

So which is it - are we presently being fobbed off with an unworkable bus timetable, or are these idiots going to blow tens of millions of quid of our council tax in order to reduce bus journeys by between 60 and 120 seconds!!!!?

Eirher way there's a train service which takes just 7 minutes between the same two points. If BwD have £50 million to throw away I suggest they throw it at the railway rather than the A666.

'cyclepath'? Isn't that someone with a psychological disorder? :rolleyes:

I'm tempted to say you should know, drog, but I'm a lady you see <_<;)

Tris, I hope the locals are making their points and feelings strongly felt.

Tris, I hope the locals are making their points and feelings strongly felt.

Rotary Club of Darwen have produced some yellow "NO BUS LANE" posters which are available from shops and businesses along the route, along with comment forms and a petition which can be signed.

Rotary Club of Darwen have produced some yellow "NO BUS LANE" posters which are available from shops and businesses along the route, along with comment forms and a petition which can be signed.

Tris given the balance of power within the council at the moment I'm sure that whatever Darwen wants Darwen will get and thats that! :)

Makes a refreshing change of course but will prob have hoisted poor old ES onto the prongs of a right old dilemma. ;)

Tris given the balance of power within the council at the moment I'm sure that whatever Darwen wants Darwen will get and thats that! :)

Makes a refreshing change of course but will prob have hoisted poor old ES onto the prongs of a right old dilemma. ;)

To be honest Theno the proposed scheme doesn't directly affect me one way or the other. I very rarely venture onto the A666 ... Roman Rd is far more convenient for me to get into town. My view is they are trying to create a trackless tram system. Other population centers seem to 'go-big' on tram systems ... so maybe it would be a good thing ... but then again if you are directly affected maybe not.

As for the representatives of the 'For Darwen' party that you allude to ... if they had a brain cell between them they would be dangerous

Tris, it'll make the bus services more reliable, not that I agree with it but thats why they do it. Plus they need to tick some government boxes to contine with funding, hence why you get those mini roundabouts installed in May.

As for Traffic Modelling, single junction and area wide, you lot all appear to be experts, why not apply for jobs with consultancies, the pays great.

But if you cant tell your TRANSYT from a PICADY, or a LINSIG2 from an ARCADY run, then to be honest its just moaning for moanings sake because you have no idea how the network or Junctions will work and whether it will actually improve it or not.

Tris ask the council what the impact on junctions will be, what the existing RFC is, and what the proposed RFC will be. Also ask for the delay per vehicle before and after.

As for the representatives of the 'For Darwen' party that you allude to ... if they had a brain cell between them they would be dangerous

Dont know their IQ ES and it's hardly relevant cos those 'FOR DARWEN' ers are the power behind the BwD throne and as a darrener you must applaud them for giving the people of Darwen a huge say in the direction and admin of your own town. And especially after being treated as second class citizens for so many years.

Power to the People!

To be honest Theno the proposed scheme doesn't directly affect me one way or the other. I very rarely venture onto the A666 ... Roman Rd is far more convenient for me to get into town. My view is they are trying to create a trackless tram system. Other population centers seem to 'go-big' on tram systems ... so maybe it would be a good thing ... but then again if you are directly affected maybe not.

Roman Road is our quickest way into Blackburn too ES. The problem with the A666 plans is that hundreds of others will be pushed away from their most direct route because it's been turned into a "trackless tram" as you put it. So we will all be "affected" even if not directly.

And Roman Road will bear the brunt, along with Goose House Lane - Lower Eccleshill Road - Lower Darwen - Branch Road (although the latter route will only land you at Ewood and into the daft plans for the triangle).

And let's be honest - if Darwen and Blackburn really needed this, we'd all be using the bus already wouldn't we?? But we're not, and we still won't once our money has been wasted.

Tris, it'll make the bus services more reliable, not that I agree with it but thats why they do it. Plus they need to tick some government boxes to contine with funding, hence why you get those mini roundabouts installed in May.

As for Traffic Modelling, single junction and area wide, you lot all appear to be experts, why not apply for jobs with consultancies, the pays great.

But if you cant tell your TRANSYT from a PICADY, or a LINSIG2 from an ARCADY run, then to be honest its just moaning for moanings sake because you have no idea how the network or Junctions will work and whether it will actually improve it or not.

Tris ask the council what the impact on junctions will be, what the existing RFC is, and what the proposed RFC will be. Also ask for the delay per vehicle before and after.

I don't care about any jargon, and I haven't claimed to have an understanding of any of that junction crap either.

But I can recognise a damn stupid idea and this is one - and what's more it's being peddled by complete idiots.

How can anyone take them seriously when they spend thousands of ££££ producing glossy handouts to support their plans, but they haven't even bothered to check the current bus timetable which they are supposed to be improving????

IT TAKES A TIMETABLED 24 MINUTES TODAY AND THEY WANT TO SPEND MILLIONS OF POUNDS - TO MAKE IT 23 MINUTES IN 2010. THEY ARE IDIOTS!

Dont know their IQ ES and it's hardly relevant cos those 'FOR DARWEN' ers are the power behind the BwD throne and as a darrener you must applaud them for giving the people of Darwen a huge say in the direction and admin of your own town. And especially after being treated as second class citizens for so many years.

Power to the People!

The best way to describe them is as a cross between Sinn Fein and the cast of 'A League of Gentlemen' ... their divisive agenda does nothing to promote the causes of BwD. They conned the 'prols' with their promises of a 'fan-daba-doosey' new Football Stadium via 'The Darrener' (their lowest common denominator appealing rag). Nowt but trouble the lot-of-em.

I don't care about any jargon, and I haven't claimed to have an understanding of any of that junction crap either.

its like calling a manhole ; a chamber . or a blackboard a chalkboard.its all balls and bulll ######

The best way to describe them is as a cross between Sinn Fein and the cast of 'A League of Gentlemen' ... their divisive agenda does nothing to promote the causes of BwD. They conned the 'prols' with their promises of a 'fan-daba-doosey' new Football Stadium via 'The Darrener' (their lowest common denominator appealing rag). Nowt but trouble the lot-of-em.

If you believe in the democratic system (which I do not) then the electorate can vote for whoever they choose, whether individuals like them or not. For Darwen cannot be any worse than the communists we have had in power in Blackburn for the last god knows how long.

By the cut of your jib, I think you need to join me in a fight to overthrow all elected government and install a benevolent dictatorship so we can actually get sensible things done.

But if you took five minutes to work out that jargon and the junction crap, then you could work out whether they are talking horse ###### or they have some method to thei madness. Complaining because you dont think its a good idea is fine, complaining because you know its a bad idea and can prove it means you'll beat it at the planning committee or at appeal.

Get your rotary club to request the Transport Assessment or the quantative data behind this scheme.

And Abbeywabbypuddingandpie, I never said I knew whats good for you - if you read what I'd said, I told you how to beat it. Or at least work out whether it is a reasonable suggestion But hey, POWER TO THE IGNORANT MASSES THROUGH THEM THE SYSTEM WILL NOT BE BEATEN

HUZZAH!!!

Use their system to beat them, Tris if you get a copy of the report i'll be happy to take a look and see whether its a total fudge or not

But I can recognise a damn stupid idea and this is one - and what's more it's being peddled by complete idiots.

How can anyone take them seriously when they spend thousands of ££££ producing glossy handouts to support their plans, but they haven't even bothered to check the current bus timetable which they are supposed to be improving????

IT TAKES A TIMETABLED 24 MINUTES TODAY AND THEY WANT TO SPEND MILLIONS OF POUNDS - TO MAKE IT 23 MINUTES IN 2010. THEY ARE IDIOTS!

I think you are the kind of person to turn up at a council meeting, and say just that.

Take my word for it - it is hilarious to watch the reactions when they realise you are correct (especially if you let them dig a big hole before it!)

I think you are the kind of person to turn up at a council meeting, and say just that.

Take my word for it - it is hilarious to watch the reactions when they realise you are correct (especially if you let them dig a big hole before it!)

25 years since I attended my one and only council meeting (and there is an executive decision making committee now) but I seem to rem that members of the public are not allowed to comment and are only able to observe.

If you believe in the democratic system (which I do not) then the electorate can vote for whoever they choose, whether individuals like them or not. For Darwen cannot be any worse than the communists we have had in power in Blackburn for the last god knows how long.

My (ex) 'communist' councilor was a salt of the earth character who listened-to and acted-on his constituents concerns. I have not seen 'hide nor hair' of my new 'Furry Darren' rep.

By the cut of your jib, I think you need to join me in a fight to overthrow all elected government ....

You couldn't be further from the truth I am a committed democrat.

....and install a benevolent dictatorship so we can actually get sensible things done.

Naive in the extreme .... remember one man's Solomon is another man's Stalin. Democracy for all it's perceived imperfections is the best we have got ... my problem is the ease with which the undemocratic media can push it's agenda ... but that is something we will just have to live with.

Archived