BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Logo

Just found this while looking through google....Nice redesign of our crest by this guy named Steve Haslip http://www.stevehaslip.com/

blackburn.jpg

This is what he says on his site:

Blackburn Rovers FC logo

Again, created under the guidance of Milton Glaser. The task this time was to redesign a logo. I chose Blackburn Rovers FC (an English football club). I gave the club back its traditional colours and changed the more illustrative Tudor rose on the left to the more traditional and recognisable one.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fernhurstblue

Yes you are right THE GULL ..... it just used to be a red rose with BRFC underneath ..... prior to that it used to be the town coat of arms, and prior to that ..... well i'm not sure :)

I am sure that our logo changed in the 80's didn't it?

At the 1960 cup final, the badge was the towns motif/shield (3 bees, a horn and what looks like a bird).

Then in the 70s (still got my first shirt - it now fits my 4 year old daughter) it changed to a single, plain raditional rose, similar to the topics redesign, with B.F.F.C. in a script font below it

In 1970-71 it changed to the design we know today, although this was (very) slightly modified in the 90s.

At the 1960 cup final, the badge was the towns motif/shield (3 bees, a horn and what looks like a bird).

Then in the 70s (still got my first shirt - it now fits my 4 year old daughter) it changed to a single, plain raditional rose, similar to the topics redesign, with B.F.F.C. in a script font below it

In 1990-91 it changed to the design we know today, although this was (very) slightly modified in the 90s.

We've had the current badge for considerably longer than that. It's just that we weren't using it on the shirts.

We've had the current badge for considerably longer than that. It's just that we weren't using it on the shirts.

Your right. What a prat I am, sorry doctorryan, it was ment to say 1970 - 71 (not 1990-91).

I've got some club literature before 1970 which uses the town crest on it's letterheadings/programmes and then everything changed from 70ish - The first programme I've got with the logo we know today is Blackburn Rovers v Liverpool 1971

DATE 31/07/71 1971-1972 (and it was 2p).

I don't like it.

The blue and white halves behind the rose doesn't work for me, particularly in relation to the blue band which makes up the circle.

Also, the year 1875 should not be removed.

I like it myself, although I agree 1875 should be incorporated. Also, I would like to see whether the dull yellow trimming would look better as a shade of red.

EDIT: I can see how the halves in relation to the blue band doesn't work for some, although I like the halves being incorporated into the badge.

It's a tidy attempt.

Our badge is everything a football badge should be; symbolic, easy on the eye, uncluttered and with a bit of latin thrown in for good measure. Name of club, year formed etc, what more do you want? It is modern looking yet shows the club's traditional background. Show me a better club badge.

However, unless I have missed something, shouldn't this site have a proper logo/badge? It could be similar to the official one, but different enough to avoid copyright issues, and maybe we could have a bit of latin of our own ie an appropriate phrase, plus the sites date of inception? Would be a good marketing move as well if badges or other stuff are done in the future, or even a massive flag with some cool artwork, Kop style or like they have in Italy with the various supporters groups...

Design a badge/crest competition anyone?

I have the Rothmans book for 1969-70 and our badge is a shield split into quarters, blue and white with BRSC within.

That was the old supporters club badge, it was one of the only bits of club merchandise you could get in the 60's.

Our badge is everything a football badge should be; symbolic, easy on the eye, uncluttered and with a bit of latin thrown in for good measure. Name of club, year formed etc, what more do you want? It is modern looking yet shows the club's traditional background. Show me a better club badge.

However, unless I have missed something, shouldn't this site have a proper logo/badge? It could be similar to the official one, but different enough to avoid copyright issues, and maybe we could have a bit of latin of our own ie an appropriate phrase, plus the sites date of inception? Would be a good marketing move as well if badges or other stuff are done in the future, or even a massive flag with some cool artwork, Kop style or like they have in Italy with the various supporters groups...

Design a badge/crest competition anyone?

An elderly man shaking his fist derisively in the direction of the pitch?

Very traditional. Very Blackburn Rovers.

Warms my heart just to think of it...

;-)

Yes, the shield was the Supporters club badge which Rothmans were using.

The town crest was on the Cup Final shirts and the tudor rose went onto the shirts in the early '70s.

The Rovers club badge was designed in the late '60's. It appears in blue in the club's letter heading from about that time and the colour version was on the sign board erected over the old Nuttal Street entrance in the very early '70s. It didn't make it onto the shirts until knitting technology had advanced enough for it not to have to be hand darned on.

I think the best change of badge would have to be Arsenals, there old badge was shocking, with the stars everywhere.

You must be joking pal,Arsenal's change was one of the most shocking '@#/?isations' of a traditional club badge ever along with Fulham.

arsenal_crest_b.gif

I pray to the gods they leave our unique, smart and traditional badge well alone.

Obviously Steve Haslip isn't suggesting we change our badge, clearly just a graphical designer showing off his talent. Having read people's opinion of our "traditional" badge I feel Steve deserves credit for how he has really caught the traditional"ity" pf the club by using the traditional Tudor rose in his new design. I like it. I can imagine it as an appropriate logo to appear on certain pieces of merchandise. Good find too sparkysrovers.

Archived