BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nickos (newer) Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Potential signings...I don't think too many of the managerial short list would have been experts on Premier League signings. That will be hard for the new guy. He might need a very good chief scout.

Timing...If Rovers ay it's Mondya that will be to take their soundings first. As I understand it they don't need approval to do it, but could face a protest or complaint if they do. I would imagine John Williams wants to be sure that does not happen.

It's a unique one in many ways, so you can see why it takes a bit of time to get it right.

I cannot believe that when someone of the calibre of Michael Laudrup shows an interest in this club, we pass up the option for Paul Ince. It's amazing that someone of his repuation is even linked to our small club! Unless it was rediculous financial demands, as people have said, to be its a no brainer. This is Michael Laudrup! one of the greatest players of his generation, universally respected and acclaimed...i can't understand it.

Paul Ince may have interviewed well, but what has he done really? He got MK Dons promoted when probably most managers with a bit of skill could have, and has no coaching badges, and as Nicko said, showed no interest in gaining them. Who will he work with? who will he sign? who will want to stay with him in charge?

Granted the appointment of Hughes was similar, but who is to say that because it worked for him it will for Ince. The success could be carried on, or Ince, and rovers along with him could crash and burn.

Cynical post I know, and granted I don't know the ins and outs of the situation....

I just can't help feeling that the opportunity to really show some ambition has been passed up on what I and I'm sure many see as a massive gamble.

worried, concerned, and flabbergasted all spring to mind

Ince over Laudrup...the mind still boggles.

This is something we will look back on and regret.

I have trusted JW religously in the past but this really does worry me!

I just feel Ince may be the "easy" option and a cheaper one at that!I may be wrong

but i really cant see his backroom staff being upto premiership standard!

BUT..............if he does get the job he will get my support 100% just like anyone

else at the Rovers!

made up if ince gets it ! Baffled as to exactly what this qualification actually means, surely your not going to be any better or different with or without a piece of paper....is it just a way of uefa generating money. Does this mean unless supervised u can't go on the training ground, is it some sort of health and safety style joke.....ambramovich picks the chelsea team so does he need it? F^^^ off uefa

I just feel Ince may be the "easy" option and a cheaper one at that!I may be wrong

BUT..............if he does get the job he will get my support 100% just like anyone

else at the Rovers!

Apparently JW doesnt know that much about football even though he's excellent at running the club. I'm worried this is showing through here.

made up if ince gets it ! Baffled as to exactly what this qualification actually means, surely your not going to be any better or different with or without a piece of paper....is it just a way of uefa generating money. Does this mean unless supervised u can't go on the training ground, is it some sort of health and safety style joke.....ambramovich picks the chelsea team so does he need it? F^^^ off uefa

My thoughts more or less.

He doesn't need training. He has played under some brilliant managers.

Do you think Brian Clough would have taken the course?

My thoughts more or less.

He doesn't need training. He has played under some brilliant managers.

Do you think Brian Clough would have taken the course?

It's hardly that much trouble, it's the fact he thinks he's above it that is worrying.

Brian Clough proved himself with some amazing achievements, Ince hasnt done that yet and so is not much better or worse than anyone else who takes the course.

Potential signings...I don't think too many of the managerial short list would have been experts on Premier League signings. That will be hard for the new guy. He might need a very good chief scout.

Timing...If Rovers ay it's Mondya that will be to take their soundings first. As I understand it they don't need approval to do it, but could face a protest or complaint if they do. I would imagine John Williams wants to be sure that does not happen.

It's a unique one in many ways, so you can see why it takes a bit of time to get it right.

Good that you are back Nicko. 88 users on your thread & its 23:36, quality stuff.

Long weekend coming up I can see, bound to be more twists & turns, this has not been straightforward at all!!

Even if the board were being tight gits, it would probably be cheaper and more cost efficient to choose Laudrup:

No compensation.

No compensation for any backroom staff.

May add a few on the gate (arguably best player of the 90's).

Has had success at other clubs of our size (less chance of falling and losing place money).

Along with the bonuses of:

Ability to attract higher calibre of players, especially from abroad.

Globally respected - players will respect him and want to play for him.

Even if the board were being tight gits, it would probably be cheaper and more cost efficient to choose Laudrup:

No compensation.

No compensation for any backroom staff.

May add a few on the gate (arguably best player of the 90's).

Has had success at other clubs of our size (less chance of falling and losing place money).

Along with the bonuses of:

Ability to attract higher calibre of players, especially from abroad.

Globally respected - players will respect him and want to play for him.

Why do you assume that this has just been missed by the board?

They didn't get to where they are now by missing this kind of stuff

What would you have done?

It's a difficult one that;s for sure but to be honest I think 'theposter' who made his comments is big enough to take a bit of flak, especially some of the stuff that was just daft and to be fair would have expected it. I think a short ban was maybe right and had to be expected, not sure about public flogging but maybe a poll to decide?

It's good to see Nicko back anyway and all's well but i'm sure he'd accept he will get flak occasionally although i think it was done in the wrong way but not with nasty intentions.

Quotes on Laudrup:

* Romário: "The best player I have ever played with and the 4th best in the history of the game together with Zidane."

* Raúl: "The best I have ever played with."

* Zamorano: "Un genio!", "The reason why I make so many goals, is Laudrup."

* Cruyff: "One of the most difficult players I have worked with. When he gives 80-90% he is still by far the best, but I want 100%, and he rarely does that."

* Maradona: "One of the greatest ever."

* Platini: "One of the biggest talents ever. The best in the world on the training pitch, but never used his talent to its full during matches."

* Guardiola: "The best player in the world, I can't believe he hasn't won the title as best player."

* Beckenbauer: "Pelé was the best in the 60's, Cruyff in the 70's, Maradona in the 80's and Laudrup in the 90's."

else at the Rovers!

With all the coaching badge shenanigans he's not the easy option and there's also considerable doubt as to whether he's cheaper than Laudrup.

His detractors might just have to face up to the fact that JW actually thinks he's the best.

What Nicko said about reminding him of MH struck a chord with me - one of the reasons I've been so supportive on this board.

given 99.9% of footballers are100% motivated by money unless we had Mugabe Bin Laden in charge who really thinks its the manager who sways players to sign in the real world! If we had zidane as manager and zola as assistant bentley would still sod off and santas head would still be turned by united!!!!

given 99.9% of footballers people are 100% motivated by money unless we had Mugabe Bin Laden in charge who really thinks its the manager who sways players to sign in the real world! If we had zidane as manager and zola as assistant bentley would still sod off and santas head would still be turned by united!!!!

My guess is either:

a) The Rovers board dont see a takeover happening and expect Paul Ince to be a manager for the future, they will be able to hold onto longer then Laudrup

B) Laudrups Spanish clause was something they couldn't get around

c) Paul Ince has secretely inherited 1 billion pounds and has secretely told the Rovers board Blackburn are just the club he wants to invest in? :lol:

Seriously though, Nicko, can you see a name like Mike Newell coming into help Paul Ince on the Rovers/fans/signings side.

I heard that whilst Alan Shearer was being talked too, Mike Newell was writing up a list of players Rovers should look at signing if he was signed up as Shearer's No.2

He would be a good option anyway, but if Paul Ince's No.2 is coming with him i don't think Newell is a likely candidate?

Finally, wouldn't Ince need to bring a bigger staff with him to Rovers...?

Quotes on Laudrup:

* Beckenbauer: "Pelé was the best in the 60's, Cruyff in the 70's, Maradona in the 80's and Laudrup in the 90's."

I don't think Pele and Maradona have been big sucesses in management... Laudrup was a top player, but does John Williams think he would be the best candidate for the Rovers, having interviewed and then (possibly) discounted him then probably not. A world class player does not automatically make a world class manager.

Archived