BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do You Approve Of The New Manager?

den

Paul Ince.  

580 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on the Paul Ince appointment?

• Devastated
    • Completely underwhelmed
    • Not sure, but initial feeling is disappointment
    • Prepared to wait and see
    • Might be good
    • Should work out OK
    • Very optimistic
    • Top man

He wasn't my first choice, or second, or third but we have to get behind him and let him give it his best shot. I have to say I absolutely loathed him as a player and we even burnt an effigy of him on our bonfire one year, but I used to hate Hughes in much the same way until he came to play for us, so I hope Ince can make me revise my opinion of him in the same way.

On the plus side he's enthusiastic so he's not going to rest on his laurels and he's going to want to be a winner. Let's face it, if he's a success he'll be off in 3 or 4 years so he'll use us to show that he's a real contender for the Old Trafford job when RFW finally crawls off back to hell. In the meantime he'll work hard to achieve success and make us compete. As for tactics, I can't say as I have no idea what his style of play is, but Hughes was hardly Sun Tzu and his tactics at Ewood over the last couple of seasons bordered on farcical at times.

As far as the transfer market goes, it's odds on Bentley is on his way so we can't lay the blame for that at Ince's door when it happens. Santa Cruz is also vulnerable if reports in the media are to be believed, so it would be harsh to blame him for that too. The days of Rovers splashing out £6 or £7 million on donkeys like Davies and Grabbi are gone and when Ince does eventually make a foray into the market he has to get his purchases approved by John Williams et al and there's no way they'll let him fritter money away. Williams is a very savvy man and I doubt very much he has left Ince in any doubt who The Guvnor really is when it comes to how the club spends its money.

The backroom team could be a problem, but I'm sure he has a few contacts and sometimes a mass clearout is a good thing. Let's just hope he doesn't employ Dean bloody Saunders.

The great bonus for me is Ince isn't McClaren or Allardyce. I know some saw the latter as a better option but I can't take any man seriously who sports a gold chain round his neck who isn't properly addressed as Mr Mayor.

Like it or not, we're stuck with him for a bit and you never know he just might be a good appointment. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and get behind him.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, can't agree with any of this-

Ince was part of a very successful United team, played for Liverpool and Inter, two huge huge clubs.

Ince has managed successfully at club level previously so has handled a budget before- something Hughes never did.

Matches dont come much bigger than the finals he won with United, the huge games in Italy, the England captaincy when we qualified for France 98.

Yes he is young and inexperienced in top flight managment but I would say this is a similar risk to that of the Hughes appointment. I think its the fact Ince has done things a different way by proving his man managment skils at a lower level first leads some to worry but- JW saw something in him and we are to be commended for taking another chance on a young manager.

Of course I reserve judgment but no one should be writing him off already!

Spot on. He's a name who has blooded himself in the lower leagues. I think he's got what it takes but is a very hard act to follow and it's easy to dismiss him straight off the bat but at least he's done something already, unlike other premiership players who fancy themselves as manager and who expect to jump in straight at the top. The board aren't stupid and we must have faith.

Utter rubbish, you could have used the most of the same description for Mark Hughes! Unlike Hughes he has actually won trophies as a club manager. If all the Rovers fans had the same depressing outlook I would really be praying for the club.

Cheer up misery guts :P

Was going to say almost the same thing. Hughes was less successful at the international level than Ince was last season.

That being said, as with Hughes, I think the key will be the coaching staff.

Theno - you the devastated one? :D

6th Den. Sooner the bstards gone the better.

See my sig 'Those whom the Gods seek to destroy they first make mad.......'

6 weeks ago I could NEVER have imagined this could be happening! A horrible man for anybody who doesn't remember he was a spitting, scowling, snarling individual. I've never felt sick to the stomach as I do now about any new rovers manager. Be afraid guys....The only comparable dismay at any appointment was when Maclaren got the England job and then about 90% of my opinion was bang on. http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=404993

Williams and the board must have gone for the cheapest option. The beginning of the end of the Walker years imo and I personally will hold no animosity to nor blame ANY player heading for the exit door. The poster who compared him to Mark Hughes must be addled.

Feeling extremely underwhelmed. I recall feeling in this manner when we appointed Souness. Underwhelmed, unexcited, and very unsure what to expect. Then souness slowly won me over with his eloquence (he always seemed to make sense, although the banging on about luck was tiring towards the end), his style of play, and the good results. I can only hope Ince does the same. The difference between then and now though, is that we were a big fish in a small Championship pond. We had the holy trinity of duff, dunn and jansen for souness to tap on. The current situation, we're a team punching above our weight. Hughes, with his superb eye for a player, application of scientific concept and all around good management has been able to make the best out of a difficult situation. This had doubtless been down not only to his good contacts, but also an understanding of the modern game and management concepts by him and his team, who are all well-qualified. My lack of confidence in Ince stems from my opinion that he does not exude that "brainy" air. Ince's team, if it is indeed to be Ray (have-you-ever-heard-of-him-before-last-week) Mathias, will be far inferior, at least on paper. (But hey, i come from a society where paper qualifications mean everything, so don't blame me for that view.) While both men exude an air of confidence, Ince has an unlikeable air of arrogance about him, forged on a reputation that was built in the late 80s and early 90s. Remember, he did not win a thing since he left Man U.

So, while i will still watch the games and support rovers wholeheartedly, (i did afterall, stay through the whole brian kidd affair :P), i am not thrilled. i dread a regression, in essence, i dread becoming a middlesbrough or fulham. For me, Ince's immediate priority would be to get two things right. First, his team - Ray Mathias and co will confirm the doubts, someone else would perhaps signal some hope. Secondly, his first signing. If it is really Andrews, and for 2m pounds, then I'm sorry, it would only be down hill from there.

I'm sorry if i'm reacting badly, but after the prospect of laudrup or HTC, and ince's failure to even show us respect by attending the welsh course as an observer, i cannot help but dread...

Laudrup played hardball with the club, didnt really want it and simply wanted to use us as a 1 year stepping stone - so glad we stayed clear of him

Bilic - too late for him, if he wanted it then he should of applied 2 weeks ago.

So ince is the best of the others - im happy! Give him a chance

Theno - I know where you are coming from (and agree a little bit), but he is a leader. Hence why he was captain of so many teams.

Apparently he has changed a bit since being a manager as well.

Laudrup played hardball with the club, didnt really want it and simply wanted to use us as a 1 year stepping stone - so glad we stayed clear of him

hah, and what do you think is going to happen if Ince somehow wins a game or two? The first managerial sacking and he'll be off to the likes of Fulham or Stoke. As Hughes has proved, it's all about the money, and we most definitely do not have enough of it.

Really unsure on this one. No real excitment in my blood at the mo. Do I think a sense of lightning striking twice for the board in appointing a promising yet inexperienced manager into the Prem. i hope he has the same affect as Hughes did. I have got no doubt that he is a good leader but I do wonder how he can handle the likes of McCarthy.

The thing which I have wondered would be the type of players which he could attract to the club. I remembered when Hughes first started with us, that I has doubts on what type of player he could bring to the club. In the end he proved me wrong with some great, CHEAP signings in the likes of bentley, Nelsen, Roque, warnock. Would Ince be able to do the same, and would he be able to attract star quality to the club.

I am now awaiting Bentley and Roque to leave, but I hope he can bring some players who could fulfill those roles.

Not being pesimistic for next season but i think it will be very much mid table mediocrity again.

Lets wait and see.

6th Den. Sooner the bstards gone the better.

See my sig 'Those whom the Gods seek to destroy they first make mad.......'

6 weeks ago I could NEVER have imagined this could be happening! A horrible man for anybody who doesn't remember he was a spitting, scowling, snarling individual. I've never felt sick to the stomach as I do now about any new rovers manager. Be afraid guys....The only comparable dismay at any appointment was when Maclaren got the England job and then about 90% of my opinion was bang on. http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=404993

Williams and the board must have gone for the cheapest option. The beginning of the end of the Walker years imo and I personally will hold no animosity to nor blame ANY player heading for the exit door. The poster who compared him to Mark Hughes must be addled.

Like you I think we all have our worries about him Theno but give him a chance FFS.I hated him as a player too but maybe,just maybe that snarling attitude he possessed made him a winner?

One thing is for sure, wishing such bad luck on OUR new manager aint going to help anyones cause

Anyway,we can always ship him off to Turf Morgue if matters look bad around Christmas time. :D:unsure::(

A great step forwards by Blackburn Rovers

Definitely worth it just for theno's posts. He is spitting feathers.

Ince is a born winner, I was quite disappointed when I head about the course fiasco, he went down in my estimation, but we will see what happens.

I think we will be a very combative team next year.

We will also increase our profile as being a club that is willing to take a chance on people if we think they are good enough

Ince is a born winner, I was quite disappointed when I head about the course fiasco, he went down in my estimation, but we will see what happens.

Going back to this Coaching Course thing - wasn't he just going to 'observe'? Have I remembered that right? If that was the case then it really was a weak token gesture at a very late stage. If it was looking like the decision was imminent to allow Ince a couple of years to get his badges then you can hardly blame him for not going. Probably had better things to do like come to an agreement with The Darkness to let him go, tap up Keith Andrews (who is just bound to be at Rovers next year isn't he - I'll believe it when I see it!), sort a house out etc

However he still should have let them know he wasn't going. Still he had a lot on his mind / couldn't be arsed - and who can blame him - he's just about to become manager of BLACKBURN ROVERS! The Greatest Team in Blackburn with Darwen!!!

I am happy myself. I have held the view that Ince may not be ready. I think the risk will be worth it though.

Some of the names mentioned would have been more exciting Fatih Terim and Laudrop (in that order). But lets look at what we have got ourselves.

Despite his lack of badges or whatever, Paul has decided to start in the right place in management he has had to prove himself and has done so very well at both ends of the spectrum. Unlike Alan Shearer who just sits on his arse playing at being a football manager with his mates. Ince is a real leader and the current players and futre player will see this and respect him. He's hungry for success and wants to prove himself in the big time. From what I have seen Ince has played as attractive football as he can with MK Dons add this to the steel he showed as a player and that could produce the football we like at Ewood.

All these people on here saying they don't like him because of how he played the game, or because he has a massive ego need to understand this man is managing our football club not marrying your sister.

Good on Rovers for appointing an up and coming manager who is not a cast off like Big Sam and McClaren. And dare I say it but appointing a british black man as a leader at a sports institution. This is going to give other black coaches confidence to progress and can only be a good thing.

Welcome aboard...Guvnor

Ince is a disgusting individual who cries the race card anytime something dosen't go his way. Arrogant as a player who talked the talk but couldn't walk the walk. Remember him always ducking out of big games and remember refusing to take a pen for England the coward. Couldn't be arsed to take his badges but walks into a premiership job, i hope we are struggling by christmas so we can get this calamity out! Cya later Roque and co i wouldnt want to play for this t//t.

Definatley won't be making an effort to get the money for a new st.

You lot who wish him good luck im shocked at you.

Ince is a disgusting individual who cries the race card anytime something dosen't go his way. Arrogant as a player who talked the talk but couldn't walk the walk. Remember him always ducking out of big games and remember refusing to take a pen for England the coward. Couldn't be arsed to take his badges but walks into a premiership job, i hope we are struggling by christmas so we can get this calamity out! Cya later Roque and co i wouldnt want to play for this t//t.

Mark Hughes and Souness were absolute saints in their playing careers.

I think Ince had a right to call the race card at upton park when having bananas thrown at him and monkey chants aimed at him.

Has the mountain air got to you? Not renewing your ST? Thats your choice but just confirms how fickle some fans are. Give the guy a chance.

Well boys and girls the choice has been made and thats that!

Imo definitely better then BFS or WWB.After the mainly drab bullyboy footy we have had over the last 9 years or so at least it would appear that Ince will try to play the game in a manner that most fans would like to see.

Give the guy a chance and lets see what happens.

For those of you that say at least Hughes was successful with wales,he only won 6 out of 26 games and didn`t win any of the last 10 games.

What's important to Rovers is to get someone who has had experience of coaching methods at the top level. Hughes had this and Ince has too.

JW must be confident that Ince will continue to build on the foundations which have been laid by the previous management. Only time will tell if he is up to the job.

Archived