BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Press Conference Today

Interesting - I hope the people calling him all the names under the sun for not attending feel a bit daft if that is the case.

I'll admit I was questioning his commitment to managing at the time, and wondered why we gave him the job. All seems alot clearer now.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kamy100

Williams also said that Ince was genuinely excited when he was told he had got the Job on Sunday and he signed the contract etc. It does appear that Rovers have been very thorough and a decision was made once they had covered all bases.

He was very nervous. He'll need to sharpen up his media skills. Mind you Hughes was never 'must watch' in his interviews.

Good to see he has a sense of humour - we might need it!

He said he was proud to be in the premier league. He even referred to Rovers as 'we' - always a good start.

He confirmed Ray Matthias will be his assistant and wants a first team coach with premier league experience (at least I think that's what he said).

I labelled this appointment a disaster on Sunday and I stand by that...

...but now is the time to forget who it might have been and get behind who it is - that is Paul Ince and he has my backing.

Paul Ince's Blue 'n' White Army!!

Not the best press conference I have seen as he was obviously extremely nervous, and the bottom 3 joke was cringeworthy, but the nerves are understandable and it is his ability to coach and manage that concerns me, not his ability to woo the press.

In contrast we could have had Steve McLaren's smug grin sat next to JW today, telling everyone what they wanted to hear in a smooth, media savvy style...give me Inceys nerves anyday - if anything it shows that he appreciates what a big move he has made and how much he reveres it, rather than being big headed as some would make out...

Ince seemed extremely nervous at the start of the interview but grew into it as it went on.

John Williams spoke really well about Ince and the Club throughout.

Key points: Doing his UEFA badges within a specified time period is a strict condition of his contract, not just a "I'll try and do it if I can" etc. As regards that course in Wales last week he apparently got in touch with his mate Ian Rush to arrange something quickly, but he is actually doing his badges with the English FA and they made it clear it had to be with them.

Wants to build on the great legacy Hughes left and aim for top six and Europe every year.

Wants to keep hold of his best players and will be speaking to all his players including Bentley and RSC when they return from holiday. Sounds like he will be relying on Brad Friedel to fill him in on things a bit, knowing him from Liverpool.

The press flogged the first "Black British Premiership manager" thing to within an inch of its life when really as Hasta said a while back it's far more significant that we've taken the plunge in appointing an up and coming English manager from the lower leagues instead of importing a.n. other foreign manager.

Interesting - I hope the people calling him all the names under the sun for not attending feel a bit daft if that is the case.

I think we all know that the chief of the lynch mob will admit no such thing.

I think a few said at the time that it was astonishing the amount of flak he was getting based on a bit of hearsay with no evidence as to his reason for not attending.

Two very important and exciting points. At least he seems to have ambition. Bring on the good times

Wants to build on the great legacy Hughes left and aim for top six and Europe every year.

Wants to keep hold of his best players and will be speaking to all his players including Bentley and RSC when they return from holiday. Sounds like he will be relying on Brad Friedel to fill him in on things a bit, knowing him from Liverpool.

I think Brad will be great to talk to with reagrds to inside information, where to strengthen and so on. Brad knows his stuff.

I thought he came across quite well, he seems to be not taking it for granted that because he were a good player that he deserves to be at the top of management so quickly like a lot of people would think. I were not too keen on the appointment but after seeing how enthusiastic he came across and how happy JW looked with the appointment, i think we maybe could be in for a good season. I trust JW to appoint who he feels can take us forward and so bring on the season!

Will get all the details of what it was really like because my daughter went to the press conference. Wasn't sure I should let her because of managers getting sacked soon after she attends their press conferences, but Mark Hughes lasted 2 or 3 years after she went to his so I decided perhaps it's only other teams managers she has that effect on.

You lot take the bloody biscuit when have I ever said that he sounded stupid? I was referring to the nerves.

Sorry, I assumed you were and I was writing that when you posted your first clarification.

Sounds positive then (I'm at work and trusting you all to describe it to me). I think Bentley might be a lot cause, but you never know, we might get one more year out of him. Tbh, not too fussed either way as long as it is sorted out quickly.

Keeping Roque is vital unless Ince turns out to be MH mkII in the transfer market.

I just tried to listen to a bit of an Ince interview on the BBC website, he was asked whether he felt extra expectation to perform since he was the first Black English manager in the Premiership. The start of his answer went...

"Erm...yeah course I do, y'know...y'know, and I'm excited about it, y'know obviously, people like Johnny Barnes 'n that..."

I couldn't handle it after that. It might sound alright in League Two, but you expect a little bit more class for a Premiership manager. What a complete contrast to the last two managers we've had. I can't think of any top Premiership managers (except maybe 'Arry) who can't formulate a decent sentence.

Interview is here if anyone is interested: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7471285.stm

I think we all know that the chief of the lynch mob will admit no such thing.

I think a few said at the time that it was astonishing the amount of flak he was getting based on a bit of hearsay with no evidence as to his reason for not attending.

Nicko will not like being referred to as chief of the lynch mob I shouldn't think. What is it about you mancs that has to needle him so much?

Hmmmmm..... So if we are to believe his excuse then we need to dig a little deeper...

1. Who booked him in to observe the course and why knowing that it was completely pointless?

2. Why were the guys at Aberystwth not given even a courtesy call to say that he wasn't going to attend? Damned bad form that...... and I'm sure that we or he will still get a bill for the day. If we pay it then imo we are guilty as charged.

3. When did BRFC / Ince find out that the course was unacceptable to the English FA? I understood the requirement to be a UEFA stipulation, so I would imagine that the Welsh FA would be quite acceptable to them.

If 3 is the case then can anybody else smell more than a whiff of bullsh1t?

btw just noticed Alan Nixon has raised and answered some of these issues here...

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=629749

Manc (apologies MR :rolleyes: ) ..... Do you believe everything that you hear? Take a good tip from me to help you through life... Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. You must have come down with the last shower of rain. :rolleyes::P

Archived