BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] City Breaks

I'm going to be biased and say Paris as I just don't think there is another city where you're able to do such a variety of things within such a relatively small city and in such a short space of time.

Other than that I've taken really great trips to Vienna and Geneva for short breaks.

I'm going to be biased and say Paris as I just don't think there is another city where you're able to do such a variety of things within such a relatively small city and in such a short space of time.

Other than that I've taken really great trips to Vienna and Geneva for short breaks.

Keil in October is very nice too. I can barely remember it but I am sure I had fun, I think I got a tattoo there.

Paris is cool ... instead of flying I'd get the train though, much nicer, although might increase the journey time a little.

Vienna -- been there, nice for a weekend if you want to get away from it all, not that much to see or do though. (Unless you've always had a hankering to see the Lippizanner horses, or visit Sigmund Freud's house). Geneva -- I'm currently living and working in Geneva. It's OK, bit like Vienna, nice for a quiet break. Not much nightlife to speak of, the lake and surrounding park's are nice, eating out is expensive (actually most things here are expensive ...), good place to buy a pricey watch.

Depends what you want really, Hughesy. There's plenty of places to go for a weekend.

I do like Lisbon, although Portugal is the most impoverished western european nation, I feel a bit guilty wandering around with a wallet full of cash.

Amsterdam and Prague are obvious, Rome is do-able. Turin, Trieste, Bremen, Lyon, and probably a few places in Poland worth looking into.

Found a deal for Prague, staying in Corinthia Towers for 3 nights - £250. Anyone been?

Paris - Iv heard its quite expensive there?

Also Uk city breaks if any are good? Someone said York is a nice place, with good nightlife? Anyone know?

Was looking at Barcelona but that seems the dearest option so far

Paris is an expensive city, but it depends on what you're planning on doing. You may pay slightly more for your hotel, but you'll save on travel costs usually and you can find plenty of relatively inexpensive things to do during the day.

I've been to Vienna, its a very quiet place, I think everyone buggered off when they found out I was going there. I preferred Madrid over Barcelona and Prague is very photogenic.

Gotta recommend Vilnius! Though it might involve a 9hr coach ride from Warsaw :D

How about Cork as somewhere closer to home?

I do like Lisbon, although Portugal is the most impoverished western european nation, I feel a bit guilty wandering around with a wallet full of cash.

Crikey I stayed just outside Lisbon and near Estoril at a place called Caiscais. You wouldn't have been troubled with a full wallet for long there.

What about Dublin?

My friends and I are planning a weekend/ week away February half term to celebrate my birthday (it's one I would rather not celebrate!)

I have been looking at a range of options - canary islands are good for sunshine and lounging about which is a tempting option. I have also been looking at cheap flights from Birmingham/ Coventry out to somewhere else! We have done Amsterdam to death (My brother lived there for two years and we went out loads), Then been to Barcelona, Prague and a couple of other city places between us - not that that matters we could return!

I have found flights to Dublin for 49p each way on Ryan Air for the dates we can go and with taxes it sill only works out about £49 both ways - which i was quite impressed with.

What is Dublin like? We don't want to go and get hammered for 5 days solid - we would like a chilled out holiday with stuff to do that is a bit of a change?

Anywhere else you would recommend?

Don't fancy Paris after Bryan told me it smelt of wee!!!

As for York that is one of the venues for the three hen nights I have next year - hope it is good!

Barca is good been a few times.

Dublin is good - but quite expensive. I.e. Vodka & Coke - 8 euros is normal.

Booked for York next weekend - il let you know if its any good. Think I migh go Prague and maybe Milan later in the year.

Booked for York next weekend - il let you know if its any good. Think I migh go Prague and maybe Milan later in the year.

Bellamy11 and I went to Milan a few years ago to watch the Milan derby, well worth a visit. If you want to visit the footy whilst you're there it is much cheaper compared to here. We stopped about a mile from the San Siro - not really in a 'tourist area' at all - but was very easy to get about using the Metro

I used to work in York on a regular basis so maybe my view is clouded, but I didn't think much of it to be honest.

You can do Dublin on the cheap but you have to go away from the tourist haunts, one of the reasons why I suggested Cork

Did you got o the museum taht recreates life in East berlin?

Apparently there's wardrobes full of ropey East German clothes for you to try on, and you can sit in a trabant and rev it up.

Cool. Shame i missed out on it.

The streets of Paris do indeed smell of wee, not my doing!

Did you got o the museum taht recreates life in East berlin?

Apparently there's wardrobes full of ropey East German clothes for you to try on, and you can sit in a trabant and rev it up.

Cool. Shame i missed out on it.

The streets of Paris do indeed smell of wee, not my doing!

Why go to the museum when Burnley's just up the road?

The sewers stink in Berlin too.

Strange fact: the doner kebab (as we knoe it) was invented in Berlin in 1971.

Yeah I knew that ... about the Doner Kebab. Wonder if it's because there's a lot of Turkish immigrants in Germany?

There's one absolutely enormous Irish Pub in Berlin, in the bottom of the Europa Centre.

Not sure about Berlin sewers, but the streets smelled OK.

Archived