BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon

And there's the rub. The first rule of Ladies tennis............. the fittest women always go out in the first week? :(

Anybody care to speculate why? The likes of Navratilova, Serena Williams, Betty Stove, BJK etc annually making it into the semi's in their days at the top suggests that having bolloxx must be a great asset for tennis.

'Cause they're built like fellas, should be called 'mixed singles'.

Reminds me of when Fatima Whitbread went to the doctors as she had hairs on her chest.

"How far down do they go" ? said the doctor

"right down to me d*ck" replied Fatima

For our younger viewers > _39288173_fatima1987_300x300.jpg

Anybody care to speculate why? The likes of Navratilova, Serena Williams, Betty Stove, BJK etc annually making it into the semi's in their days at the top suggests that having bolloxx must be a great asset for tennis.

A little cruel on Serena , Drog - she looks all woman to me .

Well , more than her bro.... sorry , sister , Venus , anyway .

Its because of the 'private members only' undercurrent that permeates through British sport.....Wimbledon is a classic example of this vile snobbery and the same with the top golf clubs and to some extent rugby and cricket 'institutions'.

The top facilities are only availiable to the wealthy and priviledged.

Wimbledon should remain that way. Do you think any old sod walks onto Roland Garros for a set in August?

Facilities in England are horrible, that's the big problem. Having grown up in the States and France I was amazed to go to University, make the tennis team at a school that is quite reputable when it comes to sports and invests heavily in facilities only to find that there were NO indoor courts and that many of the outdoor courts were cracked. You can't expect to produce great tennis players like that. Not only is it not good for your game, but it just doesn't inspire you. Almost every town in France will have a decent football pitch and tennis courts (usually including at least one indoor court). That's the secret to success. Private members club still exist in both the States and France and they are still where you find the very best facilities, that shouldn't really be the focus, the focus should be on the average. When the average tennis court is good, that is when you'll produce good tennis players. Is it any surprise that the last 3 good male tennis players from the UK were Henman (affluent upbringing), Rusedski (grew up abroad) and Murray (happened to have a mother who was a tennis coach).

Its because of the 'private members only' undercurrent that permeates through British sport.....Wimbledon is a classic example of this vile snobbery and the same with the top golf clubs and to some extent rugby and cricket 'institutions'.

I agree to you to some extent, but with cricket I feel it is one of the few sports that you get a true cross section of society and geography, public school, state school, northeners, west country bumpkins, oxbridge, more so than footy or rugger.

I'm afraid we simply live in a society where such facilities would not be treated with much respect by all classes of society . There's a massive problem in our society and until that's sorted out I don't blame people using private golf and tennis clubs . Why should everyone suffer from the yob culture ?

And there's the rub. The first rule of Ladies tennis............. the fittest women always go out in the first week? :(

Obviously the stronger a player is the more dangerous they can be if they're actually talented enough to keep it in play. Some of the "fitter" tennis players nowadays posses amazing power but this is more of a recent thing. For example, Sharapova has one of the cleanest, hardest shots on tour.

One speculation I'd make to answer your second paragraph is because I'm going to guess (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that you mainly watch Wimbledon (if you even really pay attention to tennis at all). Grass suits strong, aggresive players who can end points early. One of the most beautiful players in the world, Ana Ivanovic, won the French open because that favours the most consistent and clever players. It's generally only the most exceptional examples of crafty and subtle female players (Graff, Hingis) who could look good on grass when it's dominated by power.

Hearty congratulations to Venus Williams on beating Elena Dementieva to get to the final of Wimbledon.

I mean have you looked at Dementieva? She's gorgeous. How Venus managed to concentrate on her tennis with an erection is beyond me.

:lol:

Very disappointed it's an all Williams final, it's going to be more like an exhibition game.

Great match.

I'm not a huge fan of Nadal, obviously the best clay court player in the world and a very talented player, but I don't like the fist pumping and I don't even really like the grunting on virtually every shot, but he did deserve his win today. There's part of me that feels as if Federer had an extra gear that he sometimes went into, but was almost always in cruise control.

Guest Kamy100

Superb match and for once the hype was surpassed by the actual event.

Both players showed why they are the best 2 in the world, and showed why the likes of Murray are so far behind. High quality tennis and drama from start to end.

I was rooting for Roger but got to say that Rafa deserved the win just for the sheer amount of effort and intensity he showed.

With this and the Grand Prix it has been the perfect sporting day for me.

• 1 year later...

Archived