BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] So Who Will Be The New Doctor?

18 months to re-generate!!!! William Hartnell turned into Patrick Troughton and then into colour and Jon Pertwee in a jacksniff.

btw As essentially Dr Who is a childrens programme I certainly hope the new Dr Who isn't pimping around for Capt Jack in the new series..... no wonder the Time Lords died out is it? :rolleyes:

Also despite being 900 plus the Dr seemed quite happy to portray Cribbens as a feeble old knacker at 80. On top of that the new Doctor's priority was to frantically check that his regeneration had not turned him into a woman or a ginger! So thats homophobia, ageism, sexism and colour prejudice all knocked for six by the supposedly pc correct Beeb in one single episode of a childrens programme. Not a problem apparently but with our skewed slant on the world I'm sure all hell would have broken out if they'd included a mirror so that he could have a quick check to see that he'd avoided becoming a pakistani too. :rolleyes::lol:

I thought that as well - completely unnecessary and out of context.

Didn't notice at the time the other thing you mentioned but along with the completely gratuitous Captain Jack scene I thought the Beeb more than lived up to its usual PC slant, as is the case with most new programmes these days Donna married a person of different ethnic origin so that the storyline featured an extremely nice mixed race couple. In previous series Rose (Billie Piper) was in a similar relationship. In Torchwood two out of the four main characters are gay and are generally portrayed as being incredibly noble loyal and sensitive whereas the straight characters are more often than not portrayed as being weak fallible and bumbling.

The social conditioning aside, I thought the two part final programme was a huge disappointment. As someone who remembers the genuinely menacing Roger Delgado as the Master in the 70's, just couldn't adapt to John Simm as the master, he'll always be loveable Sam Tyler out of Life on Mars to me - and would actually have been a good choice as new doctor imo.

Very sorry to see David Tennent go - thought he was superb - as briefly was Christopher Ecclestone before that.

I suspect it will take me a long time if at all to adapt to the new guy - I'm guessing the Beeb had to save money when choosing the replacement.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit too young for that but 'The Prisoner'? Isn't that what "The Fugitive" (Harrison Ford) was based on?

Yep, don't remember it too well myself, slightly before my time but it was cheesy but enjoyable ITV rubbish from the 60's starring Patrick McGoohan?

Perhaps someone could give more detail. Don't know if the Fugitive was based on it.

18 months to re-generate!!!! William Hartnell turned into Patrick Troughton and then into colour and Jon Pertwee in a jacksniff.

btw As essentially Dr Who is a childrens programme I certainly hope the new Dr Who isn't pimping around for Capt Jack in the new series..... no wonder the Time Lords died out is it? :rolleyes:

Also despite being 900 plus the Dr seemed quite happy to portray Cribbens as a feeble old knacker at 80. On top of that the new Doctor's priority was to frantically check that his regeneration had not turned him into a woman or a ginger! So thats homophobia, ageism, sexism and colour prejudice all knocked for six by the supposedly pc correct Beeb in one single episode of a childrens programme. Not a problem apparently but with our skewed slant on the world I'm sure all hell would have broken out if they'd included a mirror so that he could have a quick check to see that he'd avoided becoming a pakistani too. :rolleyes::lol:

All very good except the Dr wants to be ginger. The Tennant character made a fuss about being dissapointed he wasn't ginger and I think Ecclestone's mentioned it aswell.

That double show was a bit pants though. All the hype about James Bond turning up in his red cloak and he was only in it for 5 mins. The first part was just setting the scene for the second with nothing much going on and then all the 'action' in the second part was rushed through to make room for a drawn-out goodbye Dave sequence.

Cribbins' character was also pretty pathetic. He was just a whiny old sod who I didn't give a toss about after sitting through two hours of him. It was like they were stuck between making him a sympathy character and giving him an action role.

And I don't like the look of that new kid either..... (moan, moan, moan).

Cribbins' character was also pretty pathetic. He was just a whiny old sod who I didn't give a toss about after sitting through two hours of him. It was like they were stuck between making him a sympathy character and giving him an action role.

I thought Bernard Cribbins' performance was the highlight of a poor story. Amazingly sprightly for his age.

(I always picture him arguing with Basil in Fawlty Towers wanting to reserve a channel on the Hotel TV "for the duration of a 2 hour televisual feast about the Native American Indians"

Or similar. And he wasn't that young then.

The film 'The Fugitive' was based on a TV series, surprisingly called 'The Fugitive'.

Co-incidentally we are watching the Film "The Fugitive" with Harrison Ford on ITV now.

The better half tells me that the TV series the fugitive starred David Janssen. Who I remember from "Harry O" fame subsequently.

She said the original TV series "went on and on for weeks" based on chasing a one armed man who shot his wife!

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Co-incidentally we are watching the Film "The Fugitive" with Harrison Ford on ITV now.

The better half tells me that the TV series the fugitive starred David Janssen. Who I remember from "Harry O" fame subsequently.

She said the original TV series "went on and on for weeks" based on chasing a one armed man who shot his wife!

:P

Yes. The final episode is one of the most watched TV episodes ever.

And it all was based off of the real life murder case of Dr Sam Sheppard.

As for the topic, just started watching Dr Who for the first time a few episodes before the end. He is very likable with quick wit. Horrible effects, but I think that helps make it enjoyable.

Archived