BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cricket - England V South Africa

Seen an interview with the Egbaston groundsman today who said he had been asked to prepare a pitch that will turn. As I said earlier in the thread it is probably our only chance.

Problem with doing this is the pitch cracks up and you get uneven bounce or it just turns out to be very very flat and a bore draw.

They might have picked an extra spinner if there wasn't so much criticism of the Headingley selection.

The forecast for Thursday and Friday isn't too clever either so my money's on the draw.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I seem to recall him getting a double hundred in a England shirt. Was displaced when Mark Butcher came back and hasn't played since. He is fat yes and probably just a very good county player.

You are correct (in 03 against the Windies IIRC), but then so did Jason Gillespie as a night watchman and he never played again for Aus... so dont read to much into it ;)

Nel is back I see... <_<

I can't understand why they've brought Collingwood back into the side. Surely Bopara or Shah would have been a better choice. Then again they could have stuck with Broad who's shown more form with the bat than Collingwood and would be a great threat with the ball.

Vaughan's place in the team is questionable now, he looks totally out of nick. Hopefully England's tail will wag again and get them upto a respectable total (anything above 300 would be good considering the bad start).

Very poor start again by England. Many cheap wickets given to the Safa's.. Lets hope the bowling attack can inflict some damage and restrict the Safa's first innings total.

Very impressed by Freddy's comeback and a long way to go in this test.

Well Freddie bowled brilliantly last night, good to see the bowlers follow up this morning and get them out fairly quickly.

Looking good when Pietersen got going, we had a chance of setting a good total and having a chance of winning the game until he tried one shot too many.

Cometh the moment, cometh the man, we need your batting now Mr Flintoff!! Anything above a 200 lead gives a chance, 300+ would be fantastic!

Come on Colly keep it going, can't believe we lost Ambrose so early this morning.

Sidebottom has done well to keep them out though and offer a supporting role.

Hopefully these two can stay together a while, a lead of over 300 would be fantastic, however if Colly goes now it could easily end up being less than 250.

Believe

ambrose was my fault, I switched TMS on just as the bowler was running in.

If, and its a big IF, we get to lunch, then we're going to have to try bloody hard to lose this game

Well we didn't quite make it too lunch but 281 is a decent total, it'll put them under a lot of pressure and if we can bowl well then were definitely in with a strong chance of winning this game.

South Africa are slight favourites at 4/6, with England 6/5, a draw at 16/1 can only surely happen if there is a lot of rain interuptions.

Oh by the way, my money is on England!!!!

Come on boys!

What we would have given for Stuart Broad right now....

To be fair if Broad had been playing Collingwood wouldn't have been. I for one was puzzled by the decision to pick Collingwood but a vital innings he's played for England.

Games well and truely in the balance a the moment. If Freddie comes on firing on all cylinders we've got a brilliant chance.

Tricky one to pick now, Safa's have plenty of time, but I think England will just shade this one, on the win. ;) (not jinxing things)

Collingwood has performed well (as he had too) & its a pity Ambrose hasn't stepped up to the plate again.

Whatever the outcome, the next XI will be difficult for Moores and the rest of the selectors.

Although I was not his biggest fan, congratulations to Mark Ramprakash. He has just got his 100th century whilst playing for Surrey against Yorkshire.

Some achievement, only the 25th player in the history of 1st class cricket to do it.

A good batsman who didn't quite make it at test level.

Simon??!!

Where the devil have you been for the past two years?

I have been around. Just got fed up with reading posts slagging off the Walkers and the manager/team etc so I gave up for a while.

Now I am back and nothing has changed! :rolleyes:

Archived