BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cricket - England V South Africa

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
got my ashes tickets for edgbaston next year.

Muhahahahahahahaha

hahahhahahhahahaha

Whats that 0-5 you say? Shushh

Flopsy... C'mon, lets wait till you do the tour of India first, eh? ;)

Btw - I'll be at Lords and the Oval again.

EDIT: My Australian 'weak' links for the next Ashes;

Brad Haddin - I have seen him play in two of his three tests (I was at Antigua and Barbados, so do I know) and I don't rate him, but he is the best we have in the long form of the game. He is a good domestic cricketer, but not really at test level.

Midge Johnson - Decent left arm quick, but not the best IMO. It will be interesting to see how he gets on in the new season, now that he has moved to WA from QLD. Personally, I would give Bracken another try, but I have been saying that for years. Oh, and Lillee loves the bugger.

Mike Hussey - Great batsmen, but seems to have lost quite a bit of form of late (both in ODI's & tests). IMO, He played horribly in WI, but as they always say 'form is temporary, class is permanent'.

Spinning options - Beau is okay (SLA, chinamen), but has a lot of development to do in the next year and did get punished on some occasions in the two tests I witnessed. Next, is Cullen and maybe Bailey - both have gone totally 'off' the boil. Heal, might be in contention also - This area is very weak, IMO. Symonds and Michael 'Pup' Clarke, can both assist, but not as frontline bowlers.

There is talk that Watson may figure as the fourth Australian pacemen in the line-up, now that he has solved his consistent injury problems. He was told to cut down on the 'upper body' gym sessions and concentrate more on fitness - seems to have worked.. so far.

My current Aus squad, for the Ashes (and not in order);

1. Jaques

2. Hayden

3. Punter

4. Pup

5. Hodgey (very underrated and unlucky by selection)

6. Mr Cricket

7. Symonds

8. Watson

7. Haddo

8. Binger Lee

9. Midge Johnson

10. McGrath MkII

11. Casson (spin)

12. Bracken

13. Cullen (spin)

14. Bailey (spin)

15. Katich (biggest liability in the field and should never be placed in the slip cordon)

16. D Hussey

(no doubt, the selectors will probably replace some of mine above, with either Rogers, Marsh, Noffke, Bollinger and/or Hilfenhaus)

EDIT: spelling mistake

Good to see! All chipped in well IMO (although Broad was unusually expensive compared to the others). To bowl the Safa's out at 9/91 is brilliant.

Early days, but looking very good.

Strange comment from an Aussie, thought you would've liked to see England get a walloping?

they wont let you back if you aren't carefull. :) Batting wise i think aus are as strong as ever, but will be another year older, how will they cope with a 5 match series with a few back to back? I think injuries will begin to take their toll. As for bowling, you're nowhere near as strong without warne and mcgrath and lee and clarke are another year older. Can they cope with the schedule?

I think the likes of Ponting, Clark etc. will just do enough to edge them ahead. No doubt Hussey and the others who are out of form will suddenly regain it just in time too. I reckon it'll be about 2-1 to Australia. Strauss and Bell are not mentally tough enough, and Pietersen will get a bit over excited and play loose shots. Freddy is in dire form with the bat too.

they wont let you back if you aren't carefull. :) Batting wise i think aus are as strong as ever, but will be another year older, how will they cope with a 5 match series with a few back to back? I think injuries will begin to take their toll. As for bowling, you're nowhere near as strong without warne and mcgrath and lee and clarke are another year older. Can they cope with the schedule?

On injury front, we should be fine, as no football games will be allowed to played on the eve of a test (i.e McGrath in '05). ;)

Lee is now the leader of the pace attack and has assumed that mantle very well. Stu Clark should be a danger and has plenty of understanding of English pitches. My real main worry, is the third pacemen and the spinner's slot. As mentioned above, our cupboard is bare! :(

Regarding the spinners, we are worse than dire at the moment IMHO.. I think Englands bowling will be the key to the whole series. On form, you will cause absolute havoc!

Although as always, the Aussies will be fired for this one, as it is away from home.

Amazing to see the vacuum where Pie boy Warne used to be if that is the case. Been a long time since England could say they had better spinners than Australia. Hopefully now you lot will know the pain of putting up with someone of the standard of Ashley Giles for a few years.

Amazing to see the vacuum where Pie boy Warne used to be if that is the case. Been a long time since England could say they had better spinners than Australia. Hopefully now you lot will know the pain of putting up with someone of the standard of Ashley Giles for a few years.

Agreed, but don't forget we also lost Stuart MacGill recently, with his retirement from internationals (he was and is the fourth fastest bowler in test history to reach 200 wickets - that stat is inclusive of both pace and spin catergories! ....and that was also in Warne's 14 year shadow)

When on the rare occasion that MacGill and Warne did bowl together in the same team, MacGilla Gorilla had the better figures in every way (averge, economy and strike rate)

IMO, I dont think anyone could be as bad a 'wheelie bin' Giles, in the spin dept! ;)

EDIT: Sidenote - MacGill was never loved by the selectors, the public nor the team players. In fact when on O/S tour's, nobody would share a room with him! In fact he was considered a complete and utter prick by most! Very driven in self believe, but socially inept.

Certainly McGill was born at the wrong time. Got to admire his taste in wines though

As for Haddin, perhaps he could have made it as a batsman a few years back, but he's losing his touch as a keeper. Look out for Ronchi, he can hit a ball, has a great eye. It must be the clear air in WA.

Moises Henriques is a prospect. This coming season in Australia should show who's up for it. They'll all be wanting to impress.

Always thought Clark was overlooked for the daftest of reasons. It was said that he had to wait so long to get into the team because he was 'too much like McGrath'. I'm sorry? Too much like one of the best pace bowlers of all time?

Isn't there a Sri Lankan spinner called Menndis who is expected to be a future great?

Moises Henriques is a prospect. This coming season in Australia should show who's up for it. They'll all be wanting to impress.

Brilliant player Dave.. well worth a mention, but maybe too young for the next Ashes? He played extremely well in the games at the recent 'Emerging u19 tournament!

Very, very good all rounder ...and he is Portugese!

Always thought Clark was overlooked for the daftest of reasons. It was said that he had to wait so long to get into the team because he was 'too much like McGrath'. I'm sorry? Too much like one of the best pace bowlers of all time?

Isn't there a Sri Lankan spinner called Menndis who is expected to be a future great?

Yep both him and Murali kicked the crap out of Inida in SL.

Ripped them apart in the 1st and 3rd tests! Havent seen him bowl, but have read the reports and sounds very menacing.

Brilliant player Dave.. well worth a mention, but maybe too young for the next Ashes? He played extremely well in the games at the recent 'Emerging u19 tournament!

Very, very good all rounder ...and he is Portugese!

Yep both him and Murali kicked the crap out of Inida in SL.

Ripped them apart in the 1st and 3rd tests! Havent seen him bowl, but have read the reports and sounds very menacing.

Good, anyone who puts the boot into India is a good guy in my books. From the steamrollering of the Singh/Symonds incident to the current demands to make the whole cricket agenda revolve around them and their IPL, the BCCI are a terrible bunch. The ICC are a joke for letting themselves be bullied and cajoled by a lesser organisation, and should not give an inch over issues like the ICL players' eligability and TV rights. The BCCI are bullies and should be removed from cricket along with Zimbabwe.

Good, anyone who puts the boot into India is a good guy in my books. From the steamrollering of the Singh/Symonds incident to the current demands to make the whole cricket agenda revolve around them and their IPL, the BCCI are a terrible bunch. The ICC are a joke for letting themselves be bullied and cajoled by a lesser organisation, and should not give an inch over issues like the ICL players' eligability and TV rights. The BCCI are bullies and should be removed from cricket along with Zimbabwe.

Here, here!

The BCCI are a total bunch of barsteward ######!! Makes my blood boil what they are doing to the game. As you quite rightly pointed out Billy, the ICC need to take some of the blame, for being totally spineless.. :angry:

Strange comment from an Aussie, thought you would've liked to see England get a walloping?

I went to the First Test and had a great time. I've been to a couple of county games as well. There is just something 'different' about English cricket that I like.

Were taking the Ashes back as long as we don't have to many injuries, that's where my money's going anyway.

In all honesty I think its going to be close. Australia have the better team but then we are more used to the pitches and can hopefully get the reverse swing going again which caused them so many problems again. We have all the crowd behind us with the barmy army going mental which can really help inspire some performances out there.

I don't think there will be any walkover games, it'll be a draw or go either way depending on one test. My money's on England but that's more to do with optimisim and pride than a guarantee.

Looking forward to the Ashes- I have a few questons for any aussie posters

Who will open for you: Surely even the great Hayden can't carry on as an opener at 38 years old. Jaques & Hayden WILL open. Back-up to these two are Simon Katich & Chris Rogers - Although, Shane Watson has been mooted for an opener's position, whether this is likely, who knows at the moment...

Is haddan your only serious choice as WK - Firstly, its HADDIN & Secondly, Yes he is first choice at the moment. Note, Dave Birch has already mentioned the other in his post (over the page) - Luke Ronchi is a potential candidate (IMO, he is more of an ODI man at the moment)

Finally who will be your front-line spinner & how good are they? Read over the page and pay attention please!

Looking forward to the Ashes- I have a few questons for any aussie posters

Who will open for you: Surely even the great Hayden can't carry on as an opener at 38 years old

Is haddan your only serious choice as WK

Finally who will be your front-line spinner & how good are they?

The spin department is a bit bare (perhaps "inexperienced" is a better word) at the moment, but I've no doubt that there'll be someone tweaking it in the ashes test.

One of the strengths of the Aussie side is that they are a settled side. The team doesn't get chopped and changed in the manner that the England side does. They work for each other.

I expect Ronchi to go as a backup keeper.

This ashes will be Hayden's swansong I feel.

As an aside, I was talking to the president of our local cricket club last sunday. Their player registrations are up on last year, and you can bet, after next years ashes, they'll be up again. Cricket Australia have set up a great coaching regime throughout the country and fund it well.

After watching him bowl against the Indians (who are masters of playing spin) I am going to stick my neck & say that this guy will become the worlds premier spinner in the next couple of years. He bowls ‘leggies’, ‘wrong uns’, ‘flippers’& ‘off-breaks. And is virtually impossible to pick- yes batsmen will pick him a little better when they have seen more of him but he is an absolute joy to watch.

Whilst we are on the subject of spin- does anyone reckon Rashid may get a bowl in India. Apart from Monty- who else is their the selectors may consider ( please don’t say Swann)

On sale already ?

I'm really chuffed about Lancashire not being a venue :angry:

already, for Warwickshire Members, (plus at £60 instead of £75 - well worth the £140 it cost me this season)

and Old Trafford not being a venue is a travesty, especially as its Sophia gardens that got it not a smaller established test ground like Durham or even the Rose Bowl.

However if we stuff them in Cardiff then it was the greatest idea ever

Archived