BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Don't Sell Friedel!

I'm not sure about Friedel. You guys obviously rate him, but I think he's too old now. If Blackburn are selling, Ince obviously doesn't rate him. I also don't see why he would swap Blackburn for Villa. He is obviously loved by the Blackburn faithul, and is a bit of a hero. It could only be a money thing?

We are also after another young American goalkeeper - Brad Guzan - maybe Friedel is being brought in to be the number one for a couple of seasons, and help this guy settle, and teach him a few things etc?

Maybe the Robinson and Bent rumours in a swap for Bentley are true? I don't see why Blackburn would sell a goalkeeper for £2.5m, who you obviously think was one of the best goalkeepers of the prem last season. Who would you replace him with for that kind of money? So like I said, maybe Robbo is on his way? Who knows. Guess we'll soon find out.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't make sense, not for that kind of money. 2.5mil for a keeper of his calibre (regardless of age) is pittance frankely. though it would sicken me if it happened, considering how much he's given the club, how would cudicini sound as a replacement? if he's fit again that is... Robinson ain't the keeper brad is so that would be a step in the wrong direction

On April 14, 2006, Friedel extended his contract with Blackburn Rovers, stating his love for the club as a reason. Two years later, on February 5, 2008, he again signed an extension to his Rovers contract stating that "I am delighted to have extended the agreement. It was not a difficult decision to make. Blackburn Rovers is home to me. This is my club and I have a special affinity with it."

from wiki

Don't sell this man! :angry2:

So Freidal is not good enough for Ince yet City, Villa and even the Arse are vying for his signature!

Can someome tell the manager Friedel ket us in the league last season.

The rest of the team were woeful most of the time.

Well I was fairly happy with Ince coming but hes now signed Fowler, very underwhelmed with that. If he sell BF he could very well lose the crowd. Brads got a couple of years till he retires hes easily good enough to see out his career with us. One of the best keepers in the league still + seems a very important positive character in the dressing room.

:rover: cannot believe anyone at rovers would part with friedal,the guy is worth 15pts a season,ince might think he is old but as a keeper does age matter.as for fowler,the official website says he is going to germany,and has not signed :rolleyes: the guy has done nowt for years,ince may just be given his old mate a helping hand <_<:brfcsmilie:

Ok just to reitterate why it's stupid to sell Brad.

1) You cannot replace Brad with a better quality goal keeper for 2.5 million. Mainly because the guy is top class. He's been pretty much outstanding for us year on, year out.

2) Even if you could they'd only be a year or two younger, so what's the point. Invest the resources - time, energy, money - elsewhere, where it's actually needed.

3) Come to think of it, I can't see too many significantly younger keepers who have the potential to become as good as Friedel being available for that amount of money. Robinson (for example) is rumoured to be costing 3/4 million, so we'd be on a looser there.

4) Brad would be an excellent voice in support of Ince in the squad. Well respected by the entire team and knows Ince, would certainly help bridge the gap between the team and the manager.

5) Message to the players - our best players can go for the right price, we're a club looking to sell. Why bother staying - could really do our squad moral a world of hurt. Blimey we've enough players who want out as it is...

6) Message as a club - we've no ambition, we're happy and looking to sell our best players. Brad's also a pretty good spokesman and a great ambassador for the club.

7) Message to the fans. Top player, rovers legend, utterly loyal player, off as soon as Ince get's into the club. This isn't going to help Ince's popularity with the fans.

Even from taking just a hard nose financial point of view - with only quality and cost being factors, it seems that selling Brad is a daft idea. Who would we rather have (assuming we could get anyone) Van der Saar, Almunia - no way to either of them and they're the keepers at the big 4 clubs. Looking at the other premiership clubs outside of the top 4, there genuinely isn't a better keeper. I cannot think of a viable alternative that would leave rovers better off or in a similar state.

Cudiccini, not as good, certainly has no potential to improve - how much will they want for him?

Carson - way too expensive, not nearly as good as Friedel yet.

Robinson - a good manager could get him back to his best, but it's a risk and the fee would be more than what we recieve for Brad.

Joe Hart - young and english so price will be stupid - and he's not nearly as good as Brad.

I think part of the problem is that we get little media attention, which coupled with the focus being on Santa Cruz's goals, Pederson's wonder strikes, Bentley england and transfer saga, means that people can forget what a top class keeper Brad is.

Just shows how much you know about the game. Sour grapes thats all!

I would say you comparing the loss of Friedel to Bellamy and Neill going were more indicative of your lack of insight.

Has the memory of all the penalties he gave away been magically erased from your memory?!

He was good for us, but he was nowhere near as big a loss as Friedel would be. Like I said, it's not just to do with quality but the fact we could bring in a new left back and shuffle things around with Neill's departure. With Friedel's we can hardly do that.

Unless Robbie Fowler has added a new string to his bow lately...

If Ince is looking at getting in a younger goalie, fair enough (although we still have Brown, Fielding and Nielsen waiting in the wings). But I think it'd be better phasing in the younger goalie in over the next couple of years rather than kicking Friedel out straight away. Brad has been a revelation at Rovers and has kept us in games when we could've been well beat. Getting rid of Friedel now would do more harm than good.

I hope it's just a case of a couple of offers coming in but Rovers dismissing them. Some kind of press release from Rovers about the speculation, if its just that, would help in keeping us informed.

no player is bigger than the club, but I'm really struggling to find any positives if friedel leaves

he's one of the most honourable players in the whole league.

his contract was done over a cup of tea and a handshake.

he has genuine commitment to coaching - as per his coaching school in the US

he is the firm fans favorite

can't believe we're even contemplating it. i'd agree with Ince if he has made lots of mistakes last season and was showing signs of being finished. But he was the complete opposite last year - he was as immense as always.

Let's hope its just paper talk - OR that Tris is right and its brads choice. Because if its inces choice - he's showing a clear lack of judgement.

Archived