BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Don't Sell Friedel!

QUOTE (thenodrog @ Jul 28 2008, 01:25 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah congrats Incey. It's quite obvious that Hughes and O'Neill are just stupid gits. rolleyes.gif

Teams backed by mega-bucks owners like City and Villa can happily spend £2.5 million and not be worried that they won't see any money on that return. It's completely different for us, and safeguarding our goalkeeping future in the long term for £1 million is excellent business. Robinson has all the natural ability a top goalkeeper needs just like Brad did, there's no reason Robinson can't go on to be one of the best keepers this club has had as well.

Sorry to pick you out LeChuck cos it could have been many but the suggestions are now that Paul Robinson may be allowed to tear up his contract and leave for nothing. If that is the case than as many suspected at the time bringing him in for Brad was one bloody terrible move by the club at the insistence of that effin numpty Paul Ince (lest we forget through our misty eyed nostalgia that was down to Saint John Williams). It's highly probable that Kean/Anderson would have binned him for nefarious reasons pdq once they were in control but as far as the playing side is concerned no one can now be in any doubt that we were left much much weaker between the sticks.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to pick you out LeChuck cos it could have been many but the suggestions are now that Paul Robinson may be allowed to tear up his contract and leave for nothing. If that is the case than as many suspected at the time bringing him in for Brad was one bloody terrible move by the club at the insistence of that effin numpty Paul Ince (lest we forget through our misty eyed nostalgia that was down to Saint John Williams). It's highly probable that Kean/Anderson would have binned him for nefarious reasons pdq once they were in control but as far as the playing side is concerned no one can now be in any doubt that we were left much much weaker between the sticks.

No problem, I got that one totally wrong. With the tone of the post I think I deserve to be pulled up on it as well!

I'd always been a big fan of Robinson prior to his arrival at Ewood. He was a top PL goalkeeper and England number one for many years, and there seems to be no reasonable explanation why he's declined so dramatically. I don't think any of us anticipated Brad contuining into 2013 at the time either.

No doubt Robinson has been a very poor signing though, made even worse by the fact that Brad was let go at the same.

At the time, the decision made sense. An ageing Brad Friedel that was replaced by former England number 1, Paul Robinson who is also a lot younger.

I didn't think Brad had this long left in him and I can only assume this was the case with Williams and co. when they made the decision to let him go. Another factor was that Ince and Brad did not get along with each other, since their Liverpool days (it is reported), hence making the decision to let him go easier.

Robinson hasn't turned out to be the keeper he was once made out to be. I think on this, no blame can be put on Williams/Ince for letting him go. There was an element of risk associated with this transfer, just like any other. We seemed to have been on the wrong end of one under the Williams era, but let's not forget the numerous gems he helped unearth along with the respected managers.

To be fair to Robbo, under Allardyce (in his full season here) i thought there were people shouting for an England recall?

Then look at the other managers in charge of Rovers in his time here: Ince, Kean & Berg. Where we have been dreadful and his confidence probably took a hammering.

You can tell we are near the end when people start dredging up old threads to see who got things most wrong 2 and a half years ago.

Sorry, don't let me spoil a good witch hunt.

Same with the hindsight thread.

Robinson hasn't turned out to be the keeper he was once made out to be.

It's so strange how much has declined. He was an excellent goalkeeper in his twenties, he wouldn't have played over 100 games for Spurs and gotten 41 England caps if he wasn't a at least a very good goalkeeper.

Goalkeepers are usually pretty reliable in terms of sustaining a level of performance. To go from a top PL goalkeeper to a substandard Championship one at an age where he should be in his prime is pretty unheard of I'd say. He hasn't had any major injuries and doesn't seem to have any Mark Bosnich-esque personnel problems that could explain it.

We've turn pretty well at turning round the declining careers of players at bigger clubs but Robbo seems to be one that has failed.

No problem, I got that one totally wrong. With the tone of the post I think I deserve to be pulled up on it as well!

I'd always been a big fan of Robinson prior to his arrival at Ewood. He was a top PL goalkeeper and England number one for many years, and there seems to be no reasonable explanation why he's declined so dramatically. I don't think any of us anticipated Brad contuining into 2013 at the time either.

No doubt Robinson has been a very poor signing though, made even worse by the fact that Brad was let go at the same.

If only all posters were this magnanimous! However I do think you made some valid points at the time. Hindsight is a wonderul thing!

• Backroom

I wouldn't say Robinson has been a very bad signing. Until Allardyce left he was OK. Not spectacular, but good enough for us. It was only when Kean came in that he seemed to seriously lose fitness (as did most of the team to be fair) and start to struggle faced with his own physical limitations and the embarrassment of a defence in front of him (and yes, even Samba and Nelsen played poorly under Kean - mostly due to lack of protection from midfield).

Personally, I can't believe the stick Robinson is getting.

Friedel wanted to leave - we needed to replace him. We got Robinson who in my opinion, has done a great job for us.

Granted, he wasn't always at his best this season, but think back to the Burnley game. I find it ridiculous that he seems to be the one player who is taking the brunt of the blame for our substandard season so far. We aren't scoring enough goals (at home in particular), we have a midfield with no heart, or bite, and a woeful defence. Robinson always looked to me like he wanted to play, and when we lost, it seemed to hurt him. We have the likes of Rochina, farting around, running up his own rear end giving the ball to the opposition more often than not. We have Dann, who thinks he is Beckham on the ball, and can't defend to save his life. Murphy seems to be struggling to get to grips with what colour shirt his new team mates play in, Olsson can't be arsed, and most of the rest are pretty clueless too.

Why Robinson is made out to be a 48 stone liability baffles me. And the claims he can't organise his defence are astonishing - he's about the only player we have who is ever vocal.

As an aside, I imagine he is furious with the way Bobby Mimms was treated - he has spoken before about the great respect he had for Bobby, and as a keeper, he's obviously going to have more contact with him than any other members of the staff. Manager included.

I think Jake Kean has a fine future ahead of him, but we have seen so many times with promising young keepers, he needs developing and nurturing carefully to ensure his potential is reached.

Good luck in the future Robbo. Be sad to see you go.

Confidence, motivation and fitness are the only thing that halted Robinson from carrying on his form from his twenties. The international own goal was the starting point if I recall correctly. Less of these issues and some obvious luck, Paul could have been a 100 cap England keeper (if not for the emergence of Joe Hart)

He then spent some time on the sidelines at Spurs and I believe that these initial factors combined with his obvious extra weight led to his cut price move to us. A good alternative, but it would be incredibly difficult for any keeper to follow Friedel at Ewood.

He was solid when we had organisation but since Sam left he has struggled with wingers constantly being allowed to get balls into the box and an overall defensive incompetence. Again, his motivation could be questioned; not for his reasons for enjoying Blackburn Rovers, but more so the constant conceding of goals. His motions to the crowd at the crown ground pre season showed this - 2 minutes before he bundled the ball into his own net. Concentration is utmost for any keeper.

His performance at Turf this season showed he is still top drawer with the added intensity and motivation, and he will at least be fondly remembered for foiling Burnleys best chance of a victory over us in years.

Still, one of the best distributors of a ball I have seen - and can still play a part if he improves. Definitely a great mentor for Kean.

Personally, I can't believe the stick Robinson is getting.

Friedel wanted to leave - we needed to replace him. We got Robinson who in my opinion, has done a great job for us.

Granted, he wasn't always at his best this season, but think back to the Burnley game. I find it ridiculous that he seems to be the one player who is taking the brunt of the blame for our substandard season so far. We aren't scoring enough goals (at home in particular), we have a midfield with no heart, or bite, and a woeful defence. Robinson always looked to me like he wanted to play, and when we lost, it seemed to hurt him. We have the likes of Rochina, farting around, running up his own rear end giving the ball to the opposition more often than not. We have Dann, who thinks he is Beckham on the ball, and can't defend to save his life. Murphy seems to be struggling to get to grips with what colour shirt his new team mates play in, Olsson can't be arsed, and most of the rest are pretty clueless too.

Why Robinson is made out to be a 48 stone liability baffles me. And the claims he can't organise his defence are astonishing - he's about the only player we have who is ever vocal.

As an aside, I imagine he is furious with the way Bobby Mimms was treated - he has spoken before about the great respect he had for Bobby, and as a keeper, he's obviously going to have more contact with him than any other members of the staff. Manager included.

I think Jake Kean has a fine future ahead of him, but we have seen so many times with promising young keepers, he needs developing and nurturing carefully to ensure his potential is reached.

Good luck in the future Robbo. Be sad to see you go.

+100

Archived