BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Don't Sell Friedel!

Been out of touch for a few days. Can someone clarify this, is Brad Friedel up for sale?

If so I think Ince is really sticking his neck out a long, long way.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm removing this post as I've just heard from someone who I consider a damn sight more reliable than a tabloid journalist. I shall sit back and wait and see what happens.

Paul

It's all so murky at the moment.

I can't see for the life of me why any manager would want to come in and get shut of one of the most reliable keepers in the country. Ince knows it probably weakens the team, causing disharmony in the squad and causes major disharmony in the stands. So why would he want to get rid?

On the other hand Brad has constantly said how happy he is at Ewood and how he wants to see his career out here. He knows is under very little pressure. He's well paid, his spot is secure and he's adored by the fans. Would he really want to risk his career petering out unhappily just for a bit more cash for 2 years elsewhere.

I can't see why either party would want this situation to develop but something seems to be afoot.

Friedel has been, in many peoples' eyes, the best goalkeeper in the history of the club.
That is indeed a very bold statement to make, and it set me off to do some serious thinking and objective analysis of all the keepers I have seen playing for Rovers since 1946 when we had a very good keeper in George Marks, right through to today. There have been quite a number of outstanding keepers in Rovers colours during all that time, but I honestly can't think of one that has been either better in terms of form, or better in terms of consistency than big Brad. He has also clearly demonstrated his genuine feelings and affection for our club, and to sell him now in his twilight years would be a real kick in the teeth for Brad. And IMO he above all our players, does NOT deserve that.

That is indeed a very bold statement to make, and it set me off to do some serious thinking and objective analysis of all the keepers I have seen playing for Rovers since 1946 when we had a very good keeper in George Marks, right through to today. There have been quite a number of outstanding keepers in Rovers colours during all that time, but I honestly can't think of one that has been either better in terms of form, or better in terms of consistency than big Brad. He has also clearly demonstrated his genuine feelings and affection for our club, and to sell him now in his twilight years would be a real kick in the teeth for Brad. And IMO he above all our players, does NOT deserve that.

Yep, I can't say that from personal knowledge as I'm only 22, but I've spoken to several who have been supporting for as long as yourself who have thought the same. I remember even back in 2002 when I was doing voluntary work at a hospice in Blackburn an 85 year old chap who had been a Rovers fan all his life thought Brad was the best we'd ever had back then.

You must be joking,

Barton, Blacklaw ,Jones

Only kidding, been going down since 64/65.

He is the undisputed CHAMPION of ewood park. :rover::rover:

I'm removing this post as I've just heard from someone who I consider a damn sight more reliable than a tabloid journalist. I shall sit back and wait and see what happens.

Paul

Ah come on Paul, share and share alike! :rover:

I was just watching some old news from Rovers World. I saw some clips from the unveiling of Ince. I think I may have discovered why Brad wants out. Ince was showing off a Rovers shirt with his name on it and the number ONE! No wonder he wants to leave if the manager is taking his number and first team place. Personally I think goalkeepers should be at least 6 foot tall. :D

p.s. I really hope Brad doesn't leave, he's a legend!

I can't believe that there is even a question mark over Friedal's future at the club. He has been our best and most consistent player for the last couple of seasons. Unless we are going to replace him with either Shay Given or Peter Cech, the only keepers in the league who are on a par with him, then I don't see the point. Anyone else would make the team weaker. Rumors like this worry me and make me question Ince's judgment before he has even started.

I can't believe that there is even a question mark over Friedal's future at the club. He has been our best and most consistent player for the last couple of seasons. Unless we are going to replace him with either Shay Given or Peter Cech, the only keepers in the league who are on a par with him, then I don't see the point. Anyone else would make the team weaker. Rumors like this worry me and make me question Ince's judgment before he has even started.

Have a look at Nicko's thread. The 'selling Brad' stories are not Ince's desire to get rid (unless you subscribe to Theno's conspiracy theory).

Absolutely. This is a situation that has been foisted on Ince. He desperately wants Brad to stay, as do John Williams, the Board, the fans, and anybody else connected to Rovers.

Please, give Ince a break.

Absolutely. This is a situation that has been foisted on Ince. He desperately wants Brad to stay, as do John Williams, the Board, the fans, and anybody else connected to Rovers.

Please, give Ince a break.

Ince should give himself a break and tell Brad, - no go.

It isn't always that simple, Den.

Would Brad be able to buy out his contract?

If we offer Friedel the same package then I'm sure he'll stay, the issue seems to be the sheer size of the contract offered by Villa. If this article is true then it says we could match the offer but won't. But if we're prepared to offer Robbie Fowler a contract then why can't we just up Brad's wage instead?!

It isn't always that simple, Den.

Would Brad be able to buy out his contract?

Not sure Mum. Taking this from a link I posted earlier, I would say no, because hasn't he recently signed a new contract?

But, more controversially, any player aged 28 or over can also now terminate his contract so long as he has served two years of its duration.

Also Nicko says the player must tell the club within days of the season end, that he intends to leave.

If we offer Friedel the same package then I'm sure he'll stay, the issue seems to be the sheer size of the contract offered by Villa. If this article is true then it says we could match the offer but won't. But if we're prepared to offer Robbie Fowler a contract then why can't we just up Brad's wage instead?!

Why should we up every players wages when they claim to have a recieved a better offer? There must be a time to say, "no we can't match that offer, but for the good of the club you must remain with us for one more season"?

Why should we up every players wages when they claim to have a recieved a better offer? There must be a time to say, "no we can't match that offer, but for the good of the club you must remain with us for one more season"?

I'm not saying we should up every player, but Friedel isn't just every player. This is a crucial season for us and it's absolutely vital that we have Brad on board. The article implies it's an offer we can match, and I'd much rather we spent that portion of the wage bill on hanging onto one of our best players than signing some past it striker, even if he does pass the fitness tests.

I'm not saying we should up every player, but Friedel isn't just every player. This is a crucial season for us and it's absolutely vital that we have Brad on board. The article implies it's an offer we can match, and I'd much rather we spent that portion of the wage bill on hanging onto one of our best players than signing some past it striker, even if he does pass the fitness tests.

I agree, well said

I've no facts but I rather suspect otherwise mum.

Archived