BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Best Films Of The Last Two Decades

:D

I'll agree with New york, but LA as a dreadful film.

When was "The Running Man"?

Dreadful???!!!

''One eyed outlaw Snake Pliskin is sent to the future with one objective; To save the Presidents daughter..''

Need I say more, need I say more....

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dreadful???!!!

''One eyed outlaw Snake Pliskin is sent to the future with one objective; To save the Presidents daughter..''

Need I say more, need I say more....

It was classic cheese. I mean the star was Kurt Russell, that alone is worth the view.

The 2000 Australian one? If so this is one of the first movie on here that I have never seen.

Yep watch it bro its a true insight into the mind of a killer. This guys was mental. Forget Silence of the Lambs and all that 'pop psychobable' Mark Read chopped off peoples toes just because he wanted to see what happend. Very funny film aswell with Eric Banna in a role he was born to play.

For what it's worth, some of my favourite films are:

Goodfellas

Heat

The Saint

Layer Cake

The Matrix

Anchorman

The Rocky anthology

Also, I haven't yet got round to watching the Godfather, but am I right in thinking that not one person has mentioned it on this thread? That I find astounding.

Just as a bit of fun, the worst film that I've ever seen has got to be Notting Hill. I cannot describe how shockingly bad that film is.

Just as a bit of fun, the worst film that I've ever seen has got to be Notting Hill. I cannot describe how shockingly bad that film is.

That would be great as it is always nice to see comparisons.

I will have to chew the question over for that one though... so many spring to mind... so many contain Steven Seagal.

Surprised no-one has mentioned any foreign films yet, they all seem to be English.

Amores Perros, City of God and Life is Beautiful are three fantastic films for different reasons. Life is Beautiful in particular is a heartbreakingly beautiful film.

I know it's hard to define 'important', but culturally they are far more significant than a lot of the Hollywood films being mentioned.

Edit: I see City of God was mentioned a few pages back. :)

For what it's worth, some of my favourite films are:

Goodfellas

Heat

The Saint

Layer Cake

The Matrix

Anchorman

The Rocky anthology :unsure:

Also, I haven't yet got round to watching the Godfather, but am I right in thinking that not one person has mentioned it on this thread? That I find astounding.

That because it wasn't produced in the last two decades ( they were the 70's) & yes the godfather partI is greatest film ever produced. Brando at his best.

How about trainspotting, the mass press hysteria after that came out demonstrated that the press should always be taken with a large truckload of salt.

It does not glamourise heroin and drug use, in fact I think it would scare a lot of people from ever touching the damn stuff. Also the cot death scene is harrowing.

I enjoyed Notting Hill, it was silly romantic comedy.

Four weddings on the other hand..... I could throttle Andi McDowell "Is it raining? I hadnt noticed?" arrrrggggghhhh of course its bloody raining you whiny irritating american tit!

Quite a few mentions for Life is Beautiful (La Vite et belle) and I'll also join the praises for a very moving and ironically funny movie.

Difficult to pick the influential movies in the last 20 years without straying further back. Definitely Die Hard for Action, and Pulp Fiction for a new breed of black comedies.

Got to have Usual Suspects for the way the story was told and the ending which still has people debating over now. How many films since then have tried (with mixed success) to throw such a dramatic twist in the end.

They have the Naked Gun movies on TV over here right now. Definitely helped popularise the genre. The second one is hilarious. The guy who played Hector Savage did a brilliant job. Shame he quit movies after Unforgiven to become an artist.

How about trainspotting, the mass press hysteria after that came out demonstrated that the press should always be taken with a large truckload of salt.

There was an American politician who slagged it off something chronic ... then confessed he hadn't actually seen the film.

There was an American politician who slagged it off something chronic ... then confessed he hadn't actually seen the film.

You can say the same about most critics.

They have the Naked Gun movies on TV over here right now. Definitely helped popularise the genre. The second one is hilarious.

Seems to me that Mike Myers learned all he knows from Leslie Nielsen. Anyone else think that is the case? A case in point for my paper.

Surprised no-one has mentioned any foreign films yet, they all seem to be English.

I loved Joyeux Noël and Downfall but they are new. You should watch them if you haven't.

The Thin Red Line has to be my most hated film of the two decades. I wanted to sue for the amount of time I spent watching it, attempted murder.

Awful.

Nightmare on Elm Street 5 might be almost there with it.

The Thin Red Line has to be my most hated film of the two decades. I wanted to sue for the amount of time I spent watching it, attempted murder.

Awful.

It's far from exciting but it is an exquisite film and by far the most interesting take on the WWII genre of the past 20 years. Sure Saving Private Ryan is technically outstanding and very straight forward in its appeal but Malick's film is definitely the more adventurous. Visually, it's stunning and some of the acting on show is top drawer (Nick Nolte, John Travolta, Adrien Brody, Woody Harrelson, Jim Caviezel, Sean Penn and John Cusack are all excellent). Malick is clearly a loon though. Watch The New World to see how he turned a very interesting premise into one of the most unhinged cinematic experiences of recent years.

It's far from exciting but it is an exquisite film and by far the most interesting take on the WWII genre of the past 20 years. Sure Saving Private Ryan is technically outstanding and very straight forward in its appeal but Malick's film is definitely the more adventurous. Visually, it's stunning and some of the acting on show is top drawer (Nick Nolte, John Travolta, Adrien Brody, Woody Harrelson, Jim Caviezel, Sean Penn and John Cusack are all excellent). Malick is clearly a loon though. Watch The New World to see how he turned a very interesting premise into one of the most unhinged cinematic experiences of recent years.

I have to explain, the situation I was in when I saw that film destroyed it for me personally. The film and my situation is too intertwined, so it is personnel not professional, to my discredit.

Downfall is a mesmerising film. The performance of Bruno Ganz is something else, he really *is* Uncle Adi. never seen anything like it, nor will I.

A step up from Bob 'oskins playing Khruschev.

and the bloke who plays Goebbels looks like Ryan Giggs.

you've clearly never seen "Battlefield Earth" then, or "The Punisher" (the one with Dolph Lundgren) or that TV movie where a baby is in the back of a runaway car that's been stolen and a helipcopter lifts it to safety just missing a bridge. Or something. Terrible. "We gotta get that babby oudda there!"

Amores Perros, City of God and Life is Beautiful are three fantastic films for different reasons. Life is Beautiful in particular is a heartbreakingly beautiful film.

I know it's hard to define 'important', but culturally they are far more significant than a lot of the Hollywood films being mentioned.

Edit: I see City of God was mentioned a few pages back. :)

Amores Perros is a belter. The most important film of the last two decades was made in 1968- 2001: A Space Odyssey. B)

Archived