BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Best Films Of The Last Two Decades

Amores Perros is a belter. The most important film of the last two decades was made in 1968- 2001: A Space Odyssey. B)

I think it should be noted that Stanley Kubrick's films are pretty well represented in this thread.

One of the most important directors of 70-80's anyone?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
God I hate Kubrick

Pretentious crap from start to finish

Full Metal Jacket could have been a masterpiece if he had just finished the film at boot camp.

A Clockwork Orange

Barry Lyndon

The Shining

Full Metal Jacket

I feel that he added quite a lot to those two decades with these four films. The fact that he was not cranking movies out every year is testament to his dedication, he did write all four screenplays.

There is an air of pretension to some of his work but his character development is hard to match.

Full Metal Jacket would have been fine if ended at boot camp, the aim was to show how boot camp training did not equate to Vietnam combat. Finley drilled men soon became demoralized and sometimes downright savage. The book "Short Timers" had a lot more of the personal battles and thoughts that the movie could not express.

Eyes Wide Shut was a festering pile of crap that a dog wouldn't even eat, in my opinion and it is this film that is his worst even going back to 50's work.

2001: A Space Odyssey was again great in my opinion but suffered the fact that Arthur C Clark wanted much more than can be done on screen, the whole Monolith training human civilization all the way from the cave dwellers was hard to follow in the movie as was the star child rebirth at the end. The only way this could have been rectified is a large amount of writing added to the film itself., the first half hour would have had to look like much like a silent film.

It was made in 1968 and the space scenes are wonderful, the docking onto the space station and synchronized spinning was years ahead of its time. You can watch parts of archive "Skylab" mission footage and see that everything that is in that film about living in space is true real world.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) What needs to be said? Classic Soviet phobia. "Bodily fluids" :lol:

Lolita (1962) Was almost impossible to get released as it was made. Cut to ribbons and still caused an uproar.

The thin red line is a pile of pretentious crap. Dull and tiresome in the extreme. Only film ive ever fallen asleep at.

I just simply hate the movie.

Crimson tide is an excellent film

A big hit at my last duty station New London, CT for obvious reasons.

We did a poll and the results where out of the 14 boat captains that participated 11 would be with Gene and fire the missiles as ordered and three would be with Washington.

If anyone was wondering the demographics of this vote two were African American one Asian American and eleven caucasian, make of this what you will.

Think that shows how realistic the plot line could be.

A big hit at my last duty station New London, CT for obvious reasons.

We did a poll and the results where out of the 14 boat captains that participated 11 would be with Gene and fire the missiles as ordered and three would be with Washington.

If anyone was wondering the demographics of this vote two were African American one Asian American and eleven caucasian, make of this what you will.

Think that shows how realistic the plot line could be.

That's a terrifying result.

Downfall is a mesmerising film. The performance of Bruno Ganz is something else, he really *is* Uncle Adi. never seen anything like it, nor will I.

A step up from Bob 'oskins playing Khruschev.

and the bloke who plays Goebbels looks like Ryan Giggs.

You're right .....Goebbels does look like Giggs :)

I think we've yet to see the definitive Hitler . Ganz was very good but there's still something missing .

Can I add to the opposite end of the spectrum?

...one of the worst films I've ever seen; Mamma Mia! ...got dragged to see "it" by my girlfriend... it gets a little bearable nearer the end, but the first hour of the film... I think I'd rather have set myself on fire than watch that!

Some of the worst, over dramatic "acting" I've ever seen, too...

yeah, it's not a bad film, better than Under Siege anyway.

The only interesting and enjoyable part of "Under Siege" were the credits.

Stayed up til half two in the morning last night, just to watch apocalypse now....breathtaking stuff

Would you say it was THE best Vietnam film you have seen? The question is for everyone, if they would care to answer that is.

Shame the damn thing was made in 79 :(

That's a terrifying result.

I do believe there was a racial aspect to the result, as with everything in US politics.

But I know five of them were honest and made good reasons for it. If you are out of contact on a submarine after receiving and "Emergency Alert Message" you have to complete the assigned mission without risking the disclousure of your location, after the birds are away your position is known anyway so they can be disabled (maybe).

They say that, but I'd bet that they'd think long and bloody hard about it

You would think so but I was delivering a engineering report into combat on board one of the ships I was on during Kosovo. We had a flash target reset for missiles already prepped, verification was right so we fired BEFORE knowing what we were firing at, the first time we knew what the target was, was when we watched the Camera onboard the tomahawk enter the window and turned to fuz. These situations involve more snap judgment calls than the world knows about.

true, but there wasnt instant sun tan as the warhead and there wasnt a new message in clear saying - that's a really bad idea

Did you just watch that part again? :lol:

I get what you mean but just like that Ensign locked those engineers in the bilge bay, training is hard to completely ignore.

And knowing boat XO's they would have a pistol at the CO's head quicker than hell turning the key in an instant. Ambitious to the point of lunacy. :D

Apocolypse now

Best helicopter sequence ever filmed, so wish it wasn't 79.

Das Boot

I have been on subs and that is the best depiction I have ever seen of a submarine. They are small inside now (slept in the torpedo room), back then they were Tiny!

If you have not watched a foreign film watch this one,

Pulp Fiction

Probably one of the top five most mentioned here. The beginning of the rehabilitation of John Travolta's career.

Blade runner

The original cut or the extended?

I have been on subs and that is the best depiction I have ever seen of a submarine. They are small inside now (slept in the torpedo room), back then they were Tiny!

Agreed.I dont buy many DVD films but this one for me was a must.Originally viewed in England as hour long episodes the claustrophobic atmoshpere of that German sub and the sheer terror of its crew when those depth charges are going off is quite brilliantly portrayed.....the poor mad chief machanic plays a great part along with Prochnow.One of THE best films of its genre ever made.....I even watch it in German with English subtitles for sheer authenticity!

...And what a b'stard of an ending for the crew after all that! :(

Can I add to the opposite end of the spectrum?

...one of the worst films I've ever seen; Mamma Mia! ...got dragged to see "it" by my girlfriend... it gets a little bearable nearer the end, but the first hour of the film... I think I'd rather have set myself on fire than watch that!

Some of the worst, over dramatic "acting" I've ever seen, too...

'Santa with Muscles' starring Terry 'Hulk' Hogan. I enjoy films that are 'so bad they're good'. At the time it was in the top 10 worst films of all time on IMDB.com so I purchased it from the States as on ebay as, for some reason, it was never released in the UK. My friend and I lasted 37 minutes before we were crawling up the walls and stopped. A true endurance test for anyone who still has a VCR if they want to borrow it.

The list, which always makes me chuckle, is here

Actually I've just remembered 'Entity Force' from a bargain bin in Leeds :angry::angry:

Agreed.I dont buy many DVD films but this one for me was a must.Originally viewed in England as hour long episodes the claustrophobic atmoshpere of that German sub and the sheer terror of its crew when those depth charges are going off is quite brilliantly portrayed.....the poor mad chief machanic plays a great part along with Prochnow.One of THE best films of its genre ever made.....I even watch it in German with English subtitles for sheer authenticity!

It's a belter and utterly compelling from start to finish. Must be watched in German. The only films which should be watched dubbed are the mid 80s tragi-ninja flicks of Richard Harrison

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but LA Confidential is another great film from the past 2 decades. Watching it right now.

Edit: Great double feature with Silence of the Lambs tonight.

"Tell me Clarice, do you still hear the lambs screaming?"

Archived