BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mgp Best In The League

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to respond to a "debate" going on on another thread:

Wasn't it the case that Gamst was the subject of more newspaper column inches than the Norwegian Royalty, at one stage in his Rovers career?

So, he wasn't 'voted' more popular than the Royalty, as the oft-quoted phrase goes.

(Ah...the riveting discussions that go on here.)

Edit: I think the best way of explaining Gamst the footballer is this. He is like Freddy Ljungberg. When he's scoring goals and working hard, he's a useful addition. When the goals stop, he becomes a bit pointless. (It should be noted that the comparison with Ljungberg isn't perfect because the Swede had a fair amount of pace, so did offer more of a threat when running with the ball. Pedersen running with the ball is about as discomforting to a reasonable full back as a mild breeze).

Keep saying it, but MGP has to be played further forward than he was doing in his last season under Hughes. He was simply falling deeper and wider, for the past two seasons.

Hopefully, last weekend was a pointer that Ince has realised that's the way to get the best out of MGP.

Just to respond to a "debate" going on on another thread:

Wasn't it the case that Gamst was the subject of more newspaper column inches than the Norwegian Royalty, at one stage in his Rovers career?

So, he wasn't 'voted' more popular than the Royalty, as the oft-quoted phrase goes.

(Ah...the riveting discussions that go on here.)

Edit: I think the best way of explaining Gamst the footballer is this. He is like Freddy Ljungberg. When he's scoring goals and working hard, he's a useful addition. When the goals stop, he becomes a bit pointless. (It should be noted that the comparison with Ljungberg isn't perfect because the Swede had a fair amount of pace, so did offer more of a threat when running with the ball. Pedersen running with the ball is about as discomforting to a reasonable full back as a mild breeze).

I can see the simliarity with Ljungberg. Both good at making runs into the box and scoring. None of them very involved playingwise with ball. Ljungberg had pace, Gamst with aerial ability and set pieces.

Gamst probably described his form last season best himself: "65% rubbish", though a few might've increased the percentage. He gave a subcomment that there was a lot going on outside football, which might be related to his break up with his girlfriend. Anyway he should improve this season I'd think. Promising so far, which is good considering he usually struggles the first part and improves after new year.

Archived