BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brad's Replacement

It doesn't surprise me that Robinson has been linked and if we were being honest he is a decent keeper and does have a good reputation. I'm sure if it wasn't down to Friedel having to leave for this deal to go through, most fans would probably feel that Robinson for a few million is quite a decent purchase. However, when envisaging Brad in a Villa top, the news seems rather bad. Its quite similar to the Fowler situation at first when some fans thought he was coming in as a replacement rather than as a squad player (although obviously Brad may be leaving and Robinson will be considered first choice- which does make a difference!).

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robinson = replacing one of the best keepers in the league for an average one at best

Andrews = paying £1.5 million for a 27 year old not good enough for the Championship

Fowler = Utterly pointless.

personally id have robinson over brad

People have got on robinsons back BIG time, and that is why his head has gone down, at rovers he aint gonna be on the back pages of papers that are slagging him off.

And he will have the detirmination to become england number 1 again

(don't want us to sign Bullard). But if you like that clip, 3 guesses who your going to want us to sign next!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If he'd landed one after that run I'd be wanting his signature. Rovers have been weak in the "angry wee Scotsman" area since we sold Dickov - something the manager should be looking at :)

personally id have robinson over brad

People have got on robinsons back BIG time, and that is why his head has gone down, at rovers he aint gonna be on the back pages of papers that are slagging him off.

And he will have the detirmination to become england number 1 again

I don't agree about Robinson over Brad but you're bang on about our club's low profile offering him a good chance to get his career back on course.

what everyone remembers is that Unfortunately robinson made a few high-profile errors in high-profile games , well show me a keeper who hasn't , cech schmichel and seaman could at a time lay claim to being the best keeper in the world , but i bet we can all remember clangers they made , robinson needs games and confidence and he will be england no1 again , i am sure of it

Robinson = replacing one of the best keepers in the league for an average one at best

Andrews = paying £1.5 million for a 27 year old not good enough for the Championship

Fowler = Utterly pointless.

OMG. I'm so tired of the whining in here. I'm going to need another 4 weeks of vacation to get over the überpessimist which is on here! :angry2:

OMG. I'm so tired of the whining in here. I'm going to need another 4 weeks of vacation to get over the überpessimist which is on here! :angry2:

But beware when you return-it wouldn't be the same if we Rovers fans weren't at one extreme or the other.

It's not whining, it's called having an opinion. What are we supposed to do, happily praise Ince while he slowly dismantles our team and fills our squad with past it strikers and League Two nobodies?!

You know if i HAD to choose i would go with carson, hands down! To me hes more consistant and in my view a better keeper.

As for who i would choose if it were up to me i, I would see if we could offer that 4m to ManU for Foster. Get young keeper, lots of talent and would make a great replacement.

I really hope that Brad doenst leave but if he does I will be lots of sad and no matter who we get no one can hold a light to him and what he has done for our club! :(

It's not whining, it's called having an opinion. What are we supposed to do, happily praise Ince while he slowly dismantles our team and fills our squad with past it strikers and League Two nobodies?!

What did you do when Sparky signed:

Ryan Nelsen, a MLS nobody.

Santa Cruz a Bayern benchwarmer

McCarthy who people thought had already had his best years

Djorkaeff a past it midfielder

Actually I'm almost afraid to go away because, every time I do, someone important leaves Rovers recently. I actually still blame myself for the Mark Hughes's departure because a few weeks before it happened I was in the dressing room at Ewood, spotted a spelling mistake on the whiteboard and had to correct it. Typical teacher. Next thing I know, I go away for a week and, when I come back, Hughes is off.

What did you do when Sparky signed:

Ryan Nelsen, a MLS nobody.

Santa Cruz a Bayern benchwarmer

McCarthy who people thought had already had his best years

Djorkaeff a past it midfielder

Jesus. I cannot believe you are even comparing Santa Cruz, McCarthy and Djorkaeff with Keith Andrews. Words fail me. Two Champions League winners and one seasoned French international.

Nelsen - he may have been a nobody but he was picked in the MLS Best XI in two successive years. He hadn't even been given a chance at playing in English leagues so was an unknown, and he was scouted out independently. Andrews wasn't considered good enough for the Wolves side when they were in the Premier League or the Championship. And he is only getting bought as he's mates with Paul Ince.

Actually I'm almost afraid to go away because every time I do someone important leaves Rovers recently. I actually still blame myself for the Mark Hughes departure because a few weeks before it happenend I was in the dressing room at Ewood, spotted a spelling mistake on the whiteboard and had to correct it. Typical teahcer. Next thing i know, I go away for a week and when I come back Hughes is off.

Gumboots-as you are a poster I enjoy reading, please don't take this the wrong way-would you like to check your spellings!

Jesus. I cannot believe you are even comparing Santa Cruz, McCarthy and Djorkaeff with Keith Andrews. Words fail me. Two Champions League winners and one seasoned French international.

Nelsen - he may have been a nobody but he was picked in the MLS Best XI in two successive years. He hadn't even been given a chance at playing in English leagues so was an unknown, and he was scouted out independently. Andrews wasn't considered good enough for the Wolves side when they were in the Premier League or the Championship. And he is only getting bought as he's mates with Paul Ince.

I aint comparing them. Read it properly. All I was trying to say that we questioned Sparkys decision when he bought in the like of Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Djorkaeff and Nelsen but look how they turned out?

All im saying is give Ince a chance and who knows, Andrews could play a part in us getting in to Europe he may not, BUT, give him time to prove himself at our club!

I would go for Carson becuase he's still pretty young and he won't drop our season expections or our status in the prem like Robonson possible could do.

However iam sure if they got Robbo's confidence sorted then he could become a good keeper again

All I was trying to say that we questioned Sparkys decision when he bought in the like of Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Djorkaeff and Nelsen but look how they turned out?

I was actually really excited when we bought Benni and Santa.

I do agree with you though, we need to give Ince a chance......

I aint comparing them. Read it properly. All I was trying to say that we questioned Sparkys decision when he bought in the like of Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Djorkaeff and Nelsen but look how they turned out?

All im saying is give Ince a chance and who knows, Andrews could play a part in us getting in to Europe he may not, BUT, give him time to prove himself at our club!

The other element of criticism towards Ince is not only about who he is signing but how much he is paying.

Nelsen-free, Djorkaeff, out of contract-free. Benni-£2.5 mill? Santa Cruz- £3.5 approx.

Andrews-£1.5 mill?

He is a player who apparently has played in the division below us, but found success 2 divisions below that.

Ince is bringing him in for an area of the team that is not a priority to improve and as JW has consistently said, we only buy players to improve the team, not as squad players.

So, perhaps without realising it, PI is giving fans ammo to use against him if things go wrong.

Robinson by a country mile. He's a top keeper when on form, he just needs the confidence to play his best again.

Carson doesn't have the size to dominate like Robinson can and has never really looked solid for a sustained period. I think there are better options available to us than Carson, especially for the money he would cost.

Djorkaeff made all of three appearances for us.

And there wasn't anywhere near this kind of reaction for McCarthy and Santa. Most were happy, as I recall, with one or two questioning if they were past it. But they were players who had done it before at the very highest level. You might say you're not comparing them, but you are. Nelsen we bought on the cheap and noone knew anything about him. We know Andrews has failed before at the level below ours and isn't getting any younger. He's been given time to prove himself at clubs below our level, and he's failed. I'm sure he's an honest trier but that's not good enough.

By 'give Ince a chance' what do you mean? I'm not calling for his sacking already, that's giving him a chance. But I'm perfectly within my rights to voice my disapproval when he signs such utter dross. I mean what if he signed some 40 year old he once saw play on Corporation Park? Should we still say 'give Ince a chance, see how he does'?

Djorkaeff made all of three appearances for us.

And there wasn't anywhere near this kind of reaction for McCarthy and Santa. Most were happy, as I recall, with one or two questioning if they were past it. But they were players who had done it before at the very highest level. You might say you're not comparing them, but you are. Nelsen we bought on the cheap and noone knew anything about him. We know Andrews has failed before at the level below ours and isn't getting any younger. He's been given time to prove himself at clubs below our level, and he's failed. I'm sure he's an honest trier but that's not good enough.

By 'give Ince a chance' what do you mean? I'm not calling for his sacking already, that's giving him a chance. But I'm perfectly within my rights to voice my disapproval when he signs such utter dross. I mean what if he signed some 40 year old he once saw play on Corporation Park? Should we still say 'give Ince a chance, see how he does'?

Rovers gave a trial to a kid who bloody won a keepy up challenge for cryin out loud!

By giving Imnce a chance I mean let him have his first competitve games and IF we are under performing then slate him. Everyone questions managers in the transfer market. How do you think Villa fans are feeling right now about Brad Friedel. Paying £2.5million for a 37 yr old. Us Rovers fans know Friedel and we know that is a good/ish deal but other fans won't see it that way. They will laugh at Villa for paying a stupid price for him. Another thing is Santa Cruz and Benni would have cost a lot more in todays market. Prices for players have gone up and we all know that. I'm not trying to say Andrews is cheap in todays market, far from it. A deal under £1million should be ok for him and see how he does and if he does'nt do well then we haven't loss much have we?

So, perhaps without realising it, PI is giving fans ammo to use against him if things go wrong.

The problem is that fans are already using that "ammo" to attack Ince when nothing has even happened, let alone go wrong!

[/b]

Rovers gave a trial to a kid who bloody won a keepy up challenge for cryin out loud!

By giving Imnce a chance I mean let him have his first competitve games and IF we are under performing then slate him. Everyone questions managers in the transfer market. How do you think Villa fans are feeling right now about Brad Friedel. Paying £2.5million for a 37 yr old. Us Rovers fans know Friedel and we know that is a good/ish deal but other fans won't see it that way. They will laugh at Villa for paying a stupid price for him. Another thing is Santa Cruz and Benni would have cost a lot more in todays market. Prices for players have gone up and we all know that. I'm not trying to say Andrews is cheap in todays market, far from it. A deal under £1million should be ok for him and see how he does and if he does'nt do well then we haven't loss much have we?

The problem is that fans are already using that "ammo" to attack Ince when nothing has even happened, let alone go wrong!

A trial for a kid with possible promise and a £1.5 million signing for a 27 year old....

Villa would be paying £2.5 million for one of the best keepers in the League. Several Villa fans have come on here and said they hope it goes through. Friedel has performed brilliantly at exactly the same level as what Villa want him to perform him (ie the Premier League) at so for two seasons' worth of performances its still a good investment. I don't think anyone is laughing at Villa for going through with this.

And Santa Cruz and Benni costing more in todays market?! We bought Santa a year and Benni two years ago, I can guarantee you the market hasnt changed very much at all in the last year.

Andrews has spent time at clubs in the Championship, he even spent time at Wolves when they were relegation fodder in the Premier League, and he wasn't considered good enough time and time again. At 27, he's not getting any younger and is going to have to make a massive jump.

Like I said, if he was to sign some 40 year player off the park for a good amount of money, would you still expect us to sit back and take it and not say anything?!

Bottom line - we shouldn't be signing Andrews full stop. The fact we're paying so much for him is just salt in the wound, and the fact that Ince is already looking to 'bury' this news and pull the wool over the fans eyes is pretty shoddy behaviour.

Archived