BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brad's Replacement

Ali Al-Habsi - Bolton keeper, would be a excellent choice to succeed Brad. One year left on his contract, second choice at Bolton, it'd make economic as well as football sense. Some his performances in the UEFA cup were tremendous and his track-record in Norway is positive.

A player on the up, unlike Robinson, who's suffering from Massimo Taibi'itis.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ali Al-Habsi - Bolton keeper, would be a excellent choice to succeed Brad. One year left on his contract, second choice at Bolton, it'd make economic as well as football sense. Some his performances in the UEFA cup were tremendous and his track-record in Norway is positive.

Good shout. But Bolton would probs try and screw us for all we had. Must be on Ince's radar...

James was pretty far from international class for large portions of that time and only in the last year or two has he looked good again...and surprise surprise he's kept Robinson out of the team.

James was low on confidence, just as Robinson is now.

James got a move to a new club, just like Robinson looks like doing now.

James rediscovered his form in a positive new environment where he was a major player in the side, just as Robinson could do now.

James got his England place back, just as Robinson will be desperate to do now.

I love parallelism.

Robinson has his best years ahead of him. Yes it's a risk but so is every signing - Rovers could end up with England's best goalkeeper here.

James rediscovered his form in a positive new environment where he was a major player in the side, just as Robinson could do now.

Nice summary there.

I love parallelism.

Once-great Spuds keeper makes a few high-profile blunders, moves to Blackburn to return to greatness. Remind you of anyone? :)

Robinson has his best years ahead of him. Yes it's a risk but so is every signing - Rovers could end up with England's best goalkeeper here.

With our record in signing keepers we've a damned good chance of that.

I would love Al Habsi to come to Rovers. Many Bolton fans who I know didn't really want Jussi to sign a new contract so he'd become no1 at the Reebok. BUt doesn't look like we have considered him :(

With our record in signing keepers we've a damned good chance of that.

Hadn't thought of it that way. Nobody I know wanted Flowers replaced by Filan, then Filan by Kelly, then Kelly by Friedel, but each one worked out well.

Nobody will be sadder to see Friedel go than me, but this is a big chance for him and for us. If we keep him for another two years, Robinson, Carson AND Green may all be unavailable. There's never been a better time to let Brad go.

I love parallelism.

Means nothing. Well..it means it's happened before, but they're two completely different players and that's all speculation. It could just as easily go from bad to worse for Robinson. Parallelism is a poor argument at best.

Even our record at signing keepers - what does that even mean?! Different people were behind each signing and its just pure good luck that we've done so well with keepers.

Hadn't thought of it that way. Nobody I know wanted Flowers replaced by Filan, then Filan by Kelly, then Kelly by Friedel, but each one worked out well.

Nobody will be sadder to see Friedel go than me, but this is a big chance for him and for us. If we keep him for another two years, Robinson, Carson AND Green may all be unavailable. There's never been a better time to let Brad go.

I never realised two out of form keepers and Robert Green were the only three goalkeepers in world football...

Means nothing. Well..it means it's happened before, but they're two completely different players and that's all speculation. It could just as easily go from bad to worse for Robinson. Parallelism is a poor argument at best.

Even our record at signing keepers - what does that even mean?! Different people were behind each signing and its just pure good luck that we've done so well with keepers.

You're right TGM forgive us for trying to look on the bright side. Of course the club's going down the pan. Pass the gin and painkillers!

Oh when is someone going to test my loyalty and offer me a £25,000 per week payrise. :rolleyes:

How are you in goal? :)

You're right TGM forgive us for trying to look on the bright side. Of course the club's going down the pan. Pass the gin and painkillers!

I never said the club was going down the pan, even if Bentley leaves this summer we could strengthen our midfield by signing Castillo, Villanueva and a replacement RM. But Friedel would be a big loss, and Robinson isnt an adequate replacement IMO. Why do we have to limit ourselves to English/Premier League keepers?

Nowhere near as big a loss as some are making out.

He was one of the top three keepers in the League last season, he was man of the match in a lot of our games last season...for the coming season he is a big loss. Sure he's getting old but Birmingham game apart he showed no real signs of decline.

I never said the club was going down the pan, even if Bentley leaves this summer we could strengthen our midfield by signing Castillo, Villanueva and a replacement RM. But Friedel would be a big loss, and Robinson isnt an adequate replacement IMO. Why do we have to limit ourselves to English/Premier League keepers?

If Spurs continue to yank our chains over Robinson we may well look overseas (if we're not already).

My son who trains at Rovers Academy was asking his coaches if Friedel was leaving they told him yes. He then asked who will replace him, they told my son that Paul Robinson was the front runner and if they cannot get him they would try and get Carlo Cudicini.

After my son told me I also asked a member of staff that I know, he told me Friedel was 99% leaving and Ince and the board are now preparing to bid for his replacement, he was reluctant to tell me who, but did say he would inform me next wk at my sons Training.

I will let you know more when I can.

My son who trains at Rovers Academy was asking his coaches if Friedel was leaving they told him yes. He then asked who will replace him, they told my son that Paul Robinson was the front runner and if they cannot get him they would try and get Carlo Cudicini.

After my son told me I also asked a member of staff that I know, he told me Friedel was 99% leaving and Ince and the board are now preparing to bid for his replacement, he was reluctant to tell me who, but did say he would inform me next wk at my sons Training.

I will let you know more when I can.

i think rovers should sack all these indiscreet staff who blab about signings. Keep it quiet till you're sure it's a done deal is the best motto.

Sorry I brought it up. I,ll be sure to mention to all concerned they know nothing.

everybody from fans to people who work with the club can voice there opinion.

Who is to say they haven't heard this from the very top.

because no one from the very top would speak to them about issues like that. I'm not doubting that they said that to you, but they could have come on here and read the various threads and then been able to say "Friedel looks like he will go, Robinson has been chosen as the replacement".

because no one from the very top would speak to them about issues like that. I'm not doubting that they said that to you, but they could have come on here and read the various threads and then been able to say "Friedel looks like he will go, Robinson has been chosen as the replacement".

like i said everybody can voice an opinion. no matter where it originated from and on what level.

Archived