BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] An Evening With David Speedie 16/9/08 The Hordens

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry everyone been getting things ready for the great man.

Yes there are tickets left though my doorman will be accepting payment on the door.

Not sure exactly what time it starts but Speedo is arriving about 7.30.

I'll try and delay him till 8.30-9 before he starts.

I reckon he wont be for leaving anytime soon after his talk though !

Cheers and See you tonight

Brownie

Fantastic night Brownie, and you deserve every credit for taking the gamble - I hope you managed to cover the costs and maybe make a few quid on top. We'll certainly be back for the next one ...

Cheers Tris. appreciate that.

What a legend, he's just left and the time is after 3 oclock. Couldn't meet a nicer bloke, ask Gav and Debs.

I'm bolloxes and so was he, the last person to leave.

Any suggestions for the next one ?

It could be but he's gone missing !

As for Speedo, he stopped till 3 in the morning, was the last to leave.

Thanks to Rev, Tris Ste B Gav and Debs for supporting the evening.

Speedo snippets : Best player played with - Cowans.

Room mate was Lee Richardson who use to turn up to monday training still in his saturday night gear.

We were gonna sign |Rosenthal with Speedo but Speedo said if you sign him, I'm not coming !

The move from Rovers to Soton was interesting, how many times did he tell KK to F off ??

He made 750,000 out of his signing for and leaving Rovers

Best manager ever played under wa Dalglish

Worst was Don Mackay !

I'm sure everybody who went would agree he's a very very funny man, and he says he's so honoured that he can be considered a legend at a club he only had one season at. Is there any other such players ? I couldnt think of one.

Wish I could have gone and met him-Speedie is a Rovers legend. He captured the crowds imagination, his enthusiasm for the club and the cause, and the heroic efforts all season long set him apart. Three highlights-the Newcastle game, the play off final incident and most importantly the play off semi against Derby at Ewood when he rescued us from yet another year of failure at the final fence. He is exactly the type of player that is missing from Ewood now that could get bums on seats-a true hero.

Wish I could have gone and met him-Speedie is a Rovers legend. He captured the crowds imagination, his enthusiasm for the club and the cause, and the heroic efforts all season long set him apart. Three highlights-the Newcastle game, the play off final incident and most importantly the play off semi against Derby at Ewood when he rescued us from yet another year of failure at the final fence. He is exactly the type of player that is missing from Ewood now that could get bums on seats-a true hero.

Apparently the Newcastle fans were calling his wife a sl@g etc so thats why he did it. Said he realised a few years later they were right !

Doesnt like Geordies, says the only good thing about Newcastle was it leading to Scotland.

Had a great night, he was on top form. Really loved his time at Rovers and said he wanted to do the night to "give something back to the fans", rather than because he needed the money.

I chatted to him at the bar after and we did comment this sort of thing will never happen in the future as todays players are so far removed from the fans. Sad but true unfortunately. Great to reminisce though and well worth a fiver.

Thought the comments about the Burnley chairman were hilarious, as were the Mark Lawrenson/Le Saux gossip!

You got some stick about the wife too Brownie!

What a character Speedo is, every dressing room should have one!

I often wondered how he felt about being the makeweight in the deal that brought Shearer here and I'll expand a bit more on what he said.

He said he got called in to the office by King Kenny and after 22 goals in thirty odd games the previous season he thought he was getting a payrise!

Instead Kenny told him that they'd done a deal with Southampton for Shearer but Ian Branfoot (the Saints boss) wouldn't agree to it without Speedie going there. Speedie said his initial reaction was **** off! and he stormed out and there were apparently another three or four fruitless meetings at which no progress was made before Uncle Jack eventually had to intervene by saying "We don't want you to leave but here's a few bob!" :lol: (Which he said at his stage of his career made it too good financially to turn down)

So Speedie was saying he went to Southampton and on the first preseason tour he had a bust up with Terry Hurlock and said "I had to defend myself, so I broke his nose!" This landed him 12 hours in a prison cell and he said he was sat there with his head in his hands wondering how he'd managed to go from promotion with Rovers to sitting in a prison cell in Jersey within the space of 3 months!

I liked his response to how would he liked to have partnered Paul Dickov !

" He was sh!t and I was good, so No. Youre talking to a player who used to chip Steve Ogrizovic in five a side ! "

Also his response to

Are you less aggressive without your ginger hair ?

" Who f**kin asked that ?"

Archived