SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Formation?

...............Friedel

[new] Samba Nelsen Warnock

.........Castillo...Emerton

...Bentley Villanueva Pedersen

.............Santa Cruz

That's what I'd like to see anyway, I think it makes the best use of those players. I really hope we have Bert Mk3 next season, he looked great in centre midfield.

Makes a great deal of sense. It is good to see Dunn looking super fit already and it is an exciting prospect that players of the calibre of Dunn, Olssen, Ooijer, Zura, Reid, Tugay, McCarthy and Darbyshire are going to have to fight to win their way into the team- Roberts, Gallagher, Peter, Mokoena are looking longshots even to get onto the expanded list of subs.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh great. ANOTHER thread giving lists of players, some of whom we don't even have yet. Can we have a separate board for "pointless speculation about what formation we may use/what is our best ever team and for discussion about a new kit which SHOULD only be worn by footballers but will end up "adorning" the rather larger bellies of supporters!"

Maybe the topic should be renamed.

Look at who you could have had. :rolleyes:

I have always thought Pedersen would make a good forward, anyone?

I believe thats where he played at Tromst or whatever the club he started at was.. but he never really grew in stature or power to carry it off long term, and probably the reason he is one of the better headers of the ball playing in midfield.. lol

He may do well at inside left though if we played with one of those :)

Oh great. ANOTHER thread giving lists of players, some of whom we don't even have yet. Can we have a separate board for "pointless speculation about what formation we may use/what is our best ever team and for discussion about a new kit which SHOULD only be worn by footballers but will end up "adorning" the rather larger bellies of supporters!"

Thread was not really supposed to be a list of players my friend, but based on the positions of the players we have bid for.. e.g. Vil is a creative attacking midfielder who who tends to play a free role.. so just trying to work out what sort of formation ince is looking at based on his targets

Know what you mean though in jumping the gun.. but hey I do love to be optimistic after a poor beginning to the Summer..

I like quite a few other supports would love to know how what sort of formation Ince would use and how he would have us play..

I guess this is a football forum so why not chat about formations and how we play.. they are kind of important in the game

4-2-3-1 makes a lot of sense...

I am beginning to feel some excitement for the new season.

Now if we sign a quality right winger to replace Bentley I will be very happy cause I cant see Emerton being a success as a winger. I also cant see both a right winger and right back coming in, but one.

4-2-3-1 makes a lot of sense...

I am beginning to feel some excitement for the new season.

Now if we sign a quality right winger to replace Bentley I will be very happy cause I cant see Emerton being a success as a winger. I also cant see both a right winger and right back coming in, but one.

As I see the budget.. it should stand at 12mil (5m tv, 2m trust, 4m hughes, 1m sponsorship and other and thats after a cut for the club long term of 5m).. sell bentley and pay arse thats an extra 12m.. and if reports are right we are spending a max of 8m on Carlos and Caslte inc wages..

so 24m -8m = 16m - some for club again say 4m = 12m for RB and RW... We cant afford a 12m quid players wages so probably looking at a 4m Rb and a 8 M RW that should do the job?

Not quite.

Nicko suggested Rovers have a spending budget of £10m (I guess that will be around the cash surplus generated in 07/8), the Manager go-round netted £4m and the Trust has jumped back in with £3m.

How much is transfers and how much for wages is a moot point but Rovers were budgeting £40m on wages for o7/8 but it is worth mentioning that Bentley has been foregoing £30K a week for the last five months of the year by not signing his contract and we had no management for the whole of June (they'd been Thai taken away) so Rovers have saved more than £500K through having overly ambitious employees who prefer to be paid by someone else.

I really don't know how the club are going to account for these loan deals but I guess the most sensible thing to say is that £7m of the transfer fund is earmarked and that the loan fees are being treated in effect as wages which currently are being underspent against budget or were being underspent before today.

So arguably £10m of the £17m is left which will probably get reduced to around £8m when/if the Robinson/Friedel deals happen. That leaves up to £8m to be spent on transfers/wages without needing to sell.

If Bentley goes for £17m, £10m comes to the Rovers as explained by Nicko.

...............Friedel

[new] Samba Nelsen Warnock

.........Castillo...Emerton

...Bentley Villanueva Pedersen

.............Santa Cruz

That's what I'd like to see anyway, I think it makes the best use of those players. I really hope we have Bert Mk3 next season, he looked great in centre midfield.

I think thats spot on, exactly what i was thinking.

Bert looked great in the centre.

On paper it is looking very promising

From memory i seem to recall a few mentioning that PI favours a 4-5-1, but i'm hoping that Benni mk2 is with us this season and that he and Santa form a good partnership up front.. hence the following 4-3-1-2. (oh and much to Jan's dismay i have included the two south americans.. :D )

------------------Friedel

Bert------ Samba------- Nelson------ Warnock

Bentley------ -------- Castillo ----- MGP

---------------Villanueva

--------------Santa --- Benni

4-3-3 with the ball, 4-5-1 without the ball.

Hardly rocket science, this is how Chelsea played under Mourinho and Milan have played the way for years.

Well, there are different versions of it. We played last season with two defensive players (Vogel and Emerton) and three offensive midfielders (Bentley-Pedersen-Cruz). Chelsea play with just one holding midfielder (Makelele) and 4 attacking players. Manchester Utd play it with a rotating front three. Very versatile.

I would imagine, even though it is a new manager, we will stick withthe two holding players version if we use it at all. It is very stable, and allows masses of width.

friedel

new rb / nelsen / ooijer / warnock

castillo / emerton

villanueva

mccarthy / santa cruz / pedersen

the 2 holding midfielders give villanueva the licence to roam, while the front 3 swap around... i like htis formation, as long as it doesn't isolate the main forward. otherwise it's back to paul dickov chasing long balls...

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this last night and we seem to be getting closer to knowing what kind of team we'll be picking from next season. I'm convinced that we'll play some form of formation involving one main striker and four defenders, 4-2-3-1 still seems to make most sense with the kind of players Ince is buying. Attacking full-backs seem to a feature of this formation for most teams that use it, so Simpson would fit in as well.

...................Robinson

Simpson Nelsen Samba Warnock

............Emerton Annan

...Pennant Villanueva Pedersen

...............Santa Cruz

I've cheekily thrown Pennant in there, although we really have no idea who Ince is looking at. Still...it looks a nicely balanced side....the two holding players have terrific stamina and work rate, they could be a terrific shield for the forward players.

I agree with that. I think it is how we will line up, although Emerton and Annan will probably have competition from another defensive midfielder (Sable?). I also reckon we have a good chance of getting a bigger name wide player than Pennant with the money freed up, although possibly that could go on a striker.

One thing that occurs to me is: where is Reid going to fit in this? Dunn's ability to play across the attacking three midfielders probably means he will have a role as a sub, but Reid's days are looking numbered (and Tugay's move to coaching, and the Axe's long anticipated exit) if we really are going to sign 2 midfielders, a right back and a right winger in the next two weeks. There is just no place for him really...

------------------Robinson---------------------

--------------------------------------------------

--Osorio--Nelsen--Samba--Warnock---------

--Emerton--Vogel--Reid--Gamst Pedersen--

-------Villanueva-------------------------------

---------------------Santa Cruz----------------

Osorio is in there because I don't like the idea of playing Danny Simpson. If I could continue to have my way I'd put in a new central midfielder and a new right winger aswell, otherwise this looks pretty neat. Even if Villanueva is a bit to weak for the premiership (one of my main fears) we can replace him with Benni, Matt or Jase in a more traditional forward position. Looks solid.

------------------Robinson---------------------

--Osorio--Nelsen--Samba--Warnock---------

--Emerton--Vogel--Reid--Gamst Pedersen--

-------Villanueva-------------------------------

---------------------Santa Cruz----------------

Osorio is in there because I don't like the idea of playing Danny Simpson. If I could continue to have my way I'd put in a new central midfielder and a new right winger aswell, otherwise this looks pretty neat. Even if Villanueva is a bit to weak for the premiership (one of my main fears) we can replace him with Benni, Matt or Jase in a more traditional forward position. Looks solid.

I am afraid if you take Villanueva out of this team - it is not too dissimilar to last season - but in the absence of Bentley and Friedal actually weaker.

In the absence of signing a "star" player - we are putting a lot of emphasis on Villanueva reproducing his Chilean club form in the premiership.

I'd be very surprised if Ince followed on from where Hughes left off last season in regards to the 4-2-3-1 formation. It doesn't say much for Ince being is own man with his own ideas, especially as he's always played more traditional 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 formations during his managerial career.

As for the starting XI, well I'm not sure. I think he'll begin the season with a 4-5-1 with McCarthy and Vilenueva on the bench (the latter because he will need to be blooded into the team and the English game). The one thing I'm totally unsure on is where Emerton will fit in because I don't see him starting at right back and I full expect us to bring in a new right midfielder.

I'd be very surprised if Ince followed on from where Hughes left off last season in regards to the 4-2-3-1 formation. It doesn't say much for Ince being is own man with his own ideas, especially as he's always played more traditional 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 formations during his managerial career.

As for the starting XI, well I'm not sure. I think he'll begin the season with a 4-5-1 with McCarthy and Vilenueva on the bench (the latter because he will need to be blooded into the team and the English game). The one thing I'm totally unsure on is where Emerton will fit in because I don't see him starting at right back and I full expect us to bring in a new right midfielder.

I thought 4231 is how he played? Two defensive midfielders, two attacking wideplayers and a man off the striker as an attacking midfielder?

i think it will be like this:

-------------robinson-------------

---simpson--samba--nelson--warnock---

--------emerton-------annan-------

pennant----------------------pedersen---

-----------villanueva--------------

-------------------santa cruz----

4 -2-3-1

but with villanueva given the free role playing right behind santa cruz.

although im just putting pennant's name there as i would prefer him but we never know who incey will bring in.

i think this provides great balance on our team and alot of potential attacking flair.

Lets be realistic, Villanueva - youtube worldbeater or actual wrold beater - it is irrelevant at the moment.

He has chicken pox, has not been here long and probably isn't training, therefore he will be at least a month before he's up to the fitness levels, then theres the settling in period - ince really will have to make a quick decision because my money is on us not seeing much of him before christmas.

As for the team, the absence of this key cog in the team as I'm sure ince sees him will be filled by who? probaby the man he said 'pulled the strings' on saturday, Dunny, however in every interview Ince has only given hints about the formation in that he wants FAST GOOD CROSSERS ON THE WING and has talked about Roque and another up top so doubt he will only play one.

Archived