BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Formation?

I think we will play the tombola formation in the first half, the chicken bones will choose for the second half and last ten - if score allows it - play a brave tea leaves line-up.

Well, at least that's the impression some folk on here give when they talk of Ince & his staff.

Think it's a no-brainer he'll go one up top, so that's Santa or Marsellus Wallace Roberts.

Robbo in goal. Warnock & Simpson, two attack-minded full-backs. Nelsen & Samba, with Oojer covering for Nelly as Samba needs a commander alongside him.

One centre midfielder will be the new guy I'm sure, be it Annan, Castillio or whoever. Villanueva will at best be a sub, certainly for the early months I'd suggest.

Peds & Emerton if we don't get a right winger. Then any two from Dunn, Benedict, Vogel, or Reid (I'd even consider Judgey before Reidy); Dunny being my pick.

Can't really see Gally or the Axe figuring much. I've never really rated Reid, never seems confident in what's he doing in my book - rate Vogel more. If can work out how to get Benedict mobile & motivated then he'd play the 'loose' role in da hole.

That said, I reckon a key difference is that Ince will try to move players around in positions, tactically or by accident, to suit gameplan/subs. Such as MH playing Roque on right to snuff out Evra in United & Pompey games back end last season. Emerton no doubt will be another key player due to his versatility, feasibly could play in 3 different positions, right wing, back or centre mid. After all, he's arguably the fittest (health-wise!) and most athletic player down there I'd say? If Benedict has another can't be bothered season, Dunny - and hopefully eventually Villanueva - could take his spot as hole man.

Derbs will probably get a lot of bench time, with the odd start, as his pace is a great asset, though I don't think he's the right sider we need.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we will play the tombola formation in the first half, the chicken bones will choose for the second half and last ten - if score allows it - play a brave tea leaves line-up.

Well, at least that's the impression some folk on here give when they talk of Ince & his staff.

Glad you added the last line in I thought you used some football vocabulary that had passed me by.

so 4-1-4-1, I have to say I think we'd need pace on both flanks to have it work effectively you normally do, but Everton get by (Ince did say they where his blueprint). A variation of 4-5-1 is the way to go it means a sitter so Nelsen and Samba will have the protection that at times they so needed last year. Full backs can bomb on with cover offered by the required center half moving across and the sitter dropping into the back four. I do want to see a better fluidity of movement between playing positions, by this I mean wingers and midfielders swapping especially between the attacking midfielders and the lone front man.

We can quite easily switch to a 4-2-3-1 or even a 4-4-2 if needed, we'll have a better defensive base with 5 in the middle. We are quite lucky as we have players who can play a variety of positions already so once Ince gets them swapping round when we're attacking they'll be more comfortable and effective in those roles. That though will take a while to get through to them on the training pitch though.

I'd like us to go 4=4=2 against Breda.

Give Simpson, Ooijer, Samba and Warnock at the back with Zura getting a rum im place of Samba 2nd half, Emo, Dunn, Vogel and MGP with Judge getting a 2nd half run-out and RSC and Derbs up front.

That we give Ooijer and Vogel much needed match practise against relatively familiar opposition and see if RSC/Derbs is a pairing that might work.

but Everton get by (Ince did say they where his blueprint).

OMG! You're determined to turn me into a pitchforker LOL :rolleyes:

Did he really say that? Jeepers, I'm worried now. So we're

• going to be desperate for a takeover
  • lose our unsung hero/battling midfielder
  • lose our 'star' striker that got outed by Wenger 18 months ago as a diver,
  • have a media-friendly but ultimately useless chairman
  • have a board member who's best mates with an aging Hollywood star on growth hormones
  • need a new ground
  • not buy any new players
  • have an over-reliance on the only two players with skill in the side
  • come out with a trite name as 'the peoples club' simply as we're perenially in the shadow of a better side
  • play boring, limiting football with an over-reliance on effort
  • turn our club into a franchise and move to Burnley

I see now why people are concerned!!

Since I'm driving from Exeter for the Breda game, I want to see a few things:

1. starting 11 for everton

2. Formation for Everton

3. Villaneuva (he may have the pox stick him in a plastic bubble)

4. A win - with the petrol costs, I expect it :lol:

5. Ince - A Rally Cry, record it in advance play it on the big screens

6. Ince - give the Rovers fans a wave (we're the ones in blue and white, not gold)

That'll do for now.

Interesting comment by Ince on the Tugay article on the official rovers site that might give us a small idea on what formation or style of football we might play:

"It depends on what formation I want to play, there'll be formations where I'll have Tugay sitting there with two in front, but it depends on what team we are playing against. But the lad certainly has quality and it is certainly something I can use throughout the season."

http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/New...1359231,00.html

----------------Robinson

Emerton--Samba--Nelson--Warnock

-----------------Tugay/Vogal

Pennant(or new RM)---------Pederson

-----------------Villanueva

-----------Santa Cruz--McCarthy

Now that formation excites me quite a bit :D

----------------Robinson

Emerton--Samba--Nelson--Warnock

-----------------Tugay/Vogal

Pennant(or new RM)---------Pederson

-----------------Villanueva

-----------Santa Cruz--McCarthy

Now that formation excites me quite a bit :D

This is the best I've seen so far. Seems to me like a lot of people are counting McCarthy out this season. Like everyone else I am hoping that he does well but unlike quite a few people I actually believe that he will.

Interesting trying Emerton at the back, not sure Ince will actually move away from a 4-4-2 formation though. Can't wait to see Vilanueva in action.

Tugay/Vogel and Villanueva in centre midfield? Teams could just walk through us.

No-one in the Premiership plays a 4-4-2 diamond, and there are very, very good reasons for that. My confidence in Ince isn't great, but I'm sure even he's not daft enough to do it.

Tugay too old. Vogel not really very good. McCarthy couldn't care less.

Take those three out, move Emerton to centre mid., add Simpson, Annan and Dunn and we have the basis of a team. (Although I prefer Oojier or Zurab to Samba, but that is juast a personal opinion.)

• 4 weeks later...

Two choices for me depending on the type of game.

---------------------Roberts

-----Pedersen------Carlos------Cruz

---------------Grella-----Emerton

Warnock-----Nelsen----Samba----Simpson

--------------------Robinson

Or my current favourite - 4141:

--------------------Cruz

---Treacy---Carlos----Andrews----Dunn

--------------------Grella

Warnock----Nelsen---Samba---Emerton

------------------Robinson

I like your first one Joey, but I'd go with Santa Cruz up front and Dunn in his place. That would seem the most nicely balanced side, still lacking in pace but we simply don't have the personnel to resolve that right now.

I just can't see Cruz leading a line like that. He would keep on coming deep.

4231 is a great way to give Carlos the free role he needs.

Fair point, although he did very well there last season when we played that formation with Bentley in the hole and Dunn on the right. Maybe even Derbyshire on the right and Santa Cruz in the middle would work, and get those two to interchange. I just don't have any faith in Roberts when he gets a sight of goal, I'd be very worried if the majority of our chances were falling to him.

the lineup without a recognised rightwinger should be as follows

---------------Robinson------------

Emerton-----------Ooijer-----Nelsen-------Warnock

Pedersen-------------Grella---------Dunn-------Villanueva

----------------------Roberts-----------Cruz

OR

---------------------Robinson-----------

Emerton--------Ooijer-------Zurab--------Warnock

-------------------------Grella------------

Pedersen------- -Dunn------------Treacy

-------------------Villanueva-------------

--------------------Roque---------------

i've suggested before 3-3-2-2

Oijer.....Nelson/Samba..............Zurab

Emerton..............................Grella/Axe......................................Warnock

Villanueva Dunn/Pedersen/Treacy

Cruz Roberts/Derbyshire

I think this would help minimise our problem with our right side

well Carlos is purely left footed, and we know Gamst is a right footed player, or is comfortable with his right foot.

just a question, Treacy looks very promising, surely there must be a decent academy player who is just as capable down the right hand side.

is there one?

i've suggested before 3-3-2-2

Oijer.....Nelson/Samba..............Zurab

Emerton..............................Grella/Axe......................................Warnock

Villanueva Dunn/Pedersen/Treacy

Cruz Roberts/Derbyshire

I think this would help minimise our problem with our right side

I think you missed something there mate.. did you mean two from Dunn/Pederson/Treacy?

I agree with you think thats the only way forward atm although I would possibly be tempted by having two def midfielders..

======Oijer===Nelson/Samba===Zurab======

==Emerton=====Grella===Andrews=====Warnock==

==========Dunn===Villanueva============

==========Cruz===Roberts/Derbyshire=======

Why not bit of fun 4231 for me. Along with something different just for debate.

-----------------------Robbo--------------------

Emerton------Nelsen-------Monk------Warnock

----------------Grella-----Pedersen--------------

------------------(S)--------(B2B)----------------

---------Derbs---------Dunn--------Villa---------

------------------------RSC-----------------------

I still don't rate Emerton at Full back, but he would get up and down and Grells is there for cover. Sorry Samba the monk is reliable. Pedersen covers more ground than any other player in our team averaging 13Km a game, so sod it lets put him in the role that requires a serious engine. Derbs, dunn and Villa can all switch round bit like United do.

I think you missed something there mate.. did you mean two from Dunn/Pederson/Treacy?

I agree with you think thats the only way forward atm although I would possibly be tempted by having two def midfielders..

======Oijer===Nelson/Samba===Zurab======

==Emerton=====Grella===Andrews=====Warnock==

==========Dunn===Villanueva============

==========Cruz===Roberts/Derbyshire=======

No I think you missed something there, a Keeper???

Archived