BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Formation?

i've suggested before 3-3-2-

...........................Ooijer...............Nelsen.............Samba..............

...........Emerton.............................Grella......................................Warnock

...............................Villanueva.............................Dunn

..............................................Cruz...............Roberts

I think this would help minimise our problem with our right side

That is what I would have. A good formation, both defensively and offensively. Emerton and Warnock can both attack as we know. Both can drop back when we need to defend. Villanueva and Dunn together in midfield sounds very exciting. Both can beat a man, both can shoot. Roberts can drop a little deeper to help them out if needed. However, with this formation I don't think Roque will be as effective without any decent delivery from the wings.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Villenueva unproven at Pemier League level, the heartbeat of the side is David Dunn in a slightly advanced central midfield role. For me, his talents are wasted on the wing. I also think that Roque's ability to score goals would be somewhat comprimised with him plying out wide. However, as Judge is, by all accounts, more of a central player than a right winger and with the likes of Emerton and Reid being hugely inept in the right wing position, were are put in a difficult position.

I also really don't like the idea of playing a defensive midfielder because I feel it limits our creativity and our ability to effectively counter attack.

Somewhat begrudgingly, I'd probably go with something like this:

...................Robinson

Emerton / Oiijer / Nelsen / Warnock

..............Grella or Vogel

Dunn / Villanueva / Andrews / Treacy

.................Santa Cruz

With this formation we give Emerton some freedom to roam down the right in advance of Dunn, while also giving Dunn the opportunity to drift in centrally. We have an out and out left winger who deserves to be in the side and who can beat a man and put in a fantastic cross. With Pedersen under performing, we cannot risk not having a single source of crosses into the box. We have an injection of pace through Villanueva and our best striker playing where he is supposed to: up front. I was impressed by Andrews at West Ham and think a box-to-box midfielder is always an attractive proposition.

EDIT: I also think that three at the back would be destroyed in the Premier League, especially against Arsenal next week.

Maybe we could try an old Souness tactic and play with no right-midfielder. ;)

------------------ Robinson ---------------------

--- Emerton --- Ooijer --- Nelsen ----- Warnock --

------------------- Grella -----------------------

--------------- Dunn ---- Villanueva -- Pedersen --

-------------- Roberts --- Santa Cruz ------------

It is funny that everybody is leaving Roberts out (including me) as he has arguably been our best player in the first three games. But I guess that is a product of most formation playing 451 to allow more of our (millions) of central midfielders to play. Its hard to drop Rocky in favour of Roberts though!

I am a little worried that Rocky will really struggle without someone to play alongside who can make the room for him and we will look too compact. I wish we had got in someone like Ollic :(

I think you missed something there mate.. did you mean two from Dunn/Pederson/Treacy?

I agree with you think thats the only way forward atm although I would possibly be tempted by having two def midfielders..

======Oijer===Nelson/Samba===Zurab======

==Emerton=====Grella===Andrews=====Warnock==

==========Dunn===Villanueva============

==========Cruz===Roberts/Derbyshire=======

No if you add the keeper that adds up to 12

EDIT: I also think that three at the back would be destroyed in the Premier League, especially against Arsenal next week.

Nope because with my formation it would become a back 7. We would bypass midfield and boot it long to a front 4! Brilliant ;)

It is funny that everybody is leaving Roberts out (including me) as he has arguably been our best player in the first three games. But I guess that is a product of most formation playing 451 to allow more of our (millions) of central midfielders to play. Its hard to drop Rocky in favour of Roberts though!

I am a little worried that Rocky will really struggle without someone to play alongside who can make the room for him and we will look too compact. I wish we had got in someone like Ollic :(

As long as the three attacking midfielders get up to support him it will work. Man utd play similar and with no point man both Rooney and Tevez drop in.

Roberts has done well so far but we have looked weak defensively having 5 in the middles should help that. The only down side is it limits the number of unique passes into the final third from a defensive start.

As long as the three attacking midfielders get up to support him it will work. Man utd play similar and with no point man both Rooney and Tevez drop in.

Roberts has done well so far but we have looked weak defensively having 5 in the middles should help that. The only down side is it limits the number of unique passes into the final third from a defensive start.

Sorry to quote scousers from late 70s. Only work if we pass and move not like several Rovers players seem to like ...pass-admire pass-move slowly towards defender and hide. Standing still after the pass is the other alternative we adopt.

It does not matter what formation we adopt...Rovers attacks seem almost static at times!

I would like to point out that Rooney can drop all he likes because Ronaldo, Giggs, Nani, Tevez all have loads of pace and will get ahead of him.

We have no-one as quick as any of them, with the only individual who promises to offer a bit of speed being Treacy. If we play one up front we will be a lot more Everton than Man Utd!

Sorry to quote scousers from late 70s. Only work if we pass and move not like several Rovers players seem to like ...pass-admire pass-move slowly towards defender and hide. Standing still after the pass is the other alternative we adopt.

It does not matter what formation we adopt...Rovers attacks seem almost static at times!

That's what we appeared to look under Hughes as he like us to be more 'in' the shape. But at times it become too predictable for our opponents esp at home.

I like Ince letting his wings and flair players like dunn to express themselves more on the field. Thats why a sitter is essential and a proven one being bought in.

ps - we'll get to see Dunny's 'no look' passes more often too. :D

My prefered one when everyone's fit and ready is joey's fav formation. Except its Mpg instead cos he's better all round player.

Playing this formation we got to win the second ball instead of the first and play to the channels. Formation doesn't mean much but how we blend together as a attacking unit is key(defensively too).

I'm surprise not many appreciate the way now Ince is trying to make us play with good movements and slick passing. Give him time yes and the signs are good to me. :tu:

Drill em and Drill em, you can't honestly think they could not adapt. Hughes did not advocate Fluidity of movement, they would adapt. Lack of movement is something a coach can change.

I would like to point out that Rooney can drop all he likes because Ronaldo, Giggs, Nani, Tevez all have loads of pace and will get ahead of him.

We have no-one as quick as any of them, with the only individual who promises to offer a bit of speed being Treacy. If we play one up front we will be a lot more Everton than Man Utd!

I put Derbs in mine to add pace, but its not a must have its a great bonus. the most important aspect is to keep the ball in motion always changing the picture if you like. Look at Arsenal they have some pace but keep the ball moving until a mistake by the defence works an opening. Lack of pace can be overcome through this. Players swapping positions, doubling up on one flank/middle. Again all things that can be worked on on the training pitch. I do feel at times we try to force an opening when its not required.

Hey Everton Finished 5th, I'd settle for that.

• 2 weeks later...

hate to say it, but with the way the squad is looking, and has looked in the last 3 games, i think the safest option is to defend till january and then hopefully the board will get their acts together and get in the players we need to make the squad work.

Robinson

Ooijer Samba Khiz Nelsen Warnock

Dunn Grella Pedersen

Carlos

Santa Cruz

Conceeding 11 goals in 4 games is a total disgrace. Defensivly we look awful as we are and if we dont sort that out then it really dont matter what the rest of our formation is. If we keep letting in hundreds of goals then we will be relegated, simple as. We conceed, it knocks the teams confidence, we dont score coz of it. Samba needs to be taken out of the squad as soon as possible to let him know that he isnt invincible. Dunn should be made captain proper.

Blackburn have been awful in all but one of our games this season and something gotta change.

QUOTE (J*B @ Sep 18 2008, 03:25 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
..................Roque

Treacy......................Pedersen

....................Carlos

...............Grella....Vogel

Warnock Nelsen Samba Emerton

....................Robbo

If I was going down that route I would be tempted to do what Hughes used at the end of last season:

-----------------Roberts

---Treacy---------------------Cruz

------------------Carlos

-----------Grella-------Emerton

Warnock--Ooijer---Samba---Simpson

---------------Robinson

I think we will still be banging away at the 442 though.

Just a thought passes by when I watch a CL match between Juventus and Zenit. (In love with russian football after their Euro exploits ^_^ )

Zenit dominated the whole match away and played beautifully but lost to a Ronaldo-like freekick by Del Piero.

The point is I can actually see us trying a style and formation similar to Zenit, as we have some similarity to them player wise.

Zenit play a 4321 christmas tree formation. Back four, a defensive sitter with two midfielder alongside and two supporting player for a targetman.

They play with ;

- fullbacks with pace and good engine like wingbacks keep bombing forward at every chance

- defensive sitter the most important player for them and Tymoschuk to me is quite godly. What a player! He reads the game nuffing out any

possible threats from their opponents. Spread the ball around. A player that does the simplest thing right.

- two box-to-box midfielder who takes turn to push for attack and drop for defend

- two supporting forward at each sides to provide the creative sparks and a strong targetman upfront.

So how are we similar to them?

We have no decent wingers and I don't consider Mgp as one. So we can't play a winger system now.

Our only pacey outlet actually comes from Emerton and Warnock last season.

Grella should be playing his own game in that defensive role.

During the Arsenal game, we saw our two midfield pairing doing the same hence showing signs that Ince is playing it too.

I'm bit pushing there by saying we have two adequate creative player at premiership level. :D I think we've only got Carlos, Dunn, McCarthy.

Mgp or Gallagher at a push. But it did solve our general lack of pace when attacking currently with this style of play.

So here's the team when all's fit and I can actually see it working :rolleyes:

----------------Santa

-------Carlos-------------Dunn

-----Andrews---Grella----Reid

Warnock--Nelsen---Samba---Emerton

---------------Robinson

If only we have Advocaat as our manager eh? :P

Dear Mr Ince,

I know you have been struggling with our best formation but I have found it and thought I should let you know.

Basically, Samba would make a great defensive midfielder as he is partial to the odd spurt forward, not to mention how effective he would be arriving late in the box on crosses and above all he can actually tackle (something we haven’t seen in the Blackburn midfield for some time)! I also think Derbyshire has something to offer on the wing (not the left one though) and with Ooijer capable of playing RB it gives Emerton a great deal of freedom (to go forward/central) and protection (from having a striker as defensive support).

--------------------Cruz

------------Carlos

Treacy---------------------Derbyshire

-------------------Grella

--------------Samba

Warnock--Nelson---Ooijer---Emerton

---------------Robinson

The formation can also be quickly and easily changed through 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 (these are the most effective formations of recent years, which I'm sure you will learn when you do your coaching course) without needing any subs giving you the ability to baffle your opponents with differing formations throughout the game.

So in summary problem solved, sorry I can't do anything about your injuries (put Andrews or Reid in for Grella for now) but longer term you will have a good bench in Gamst, Dunn, Simpson, Kish, Benni Mc & Roberts

Let me know if you need any further assistance, cancelling international weeks for instance.

Regards

Oscar.

Dear Mr Ince,

I know you have been struggling with our best formation but I have found it and thought I should let you know.

Basically, Samba would make a great defensive midfielder as he is partial to the odd spurt forward, not to mention how effective he would be arriving late in the box on crosses and above all he can actually tackle (something we haven’t seen in the Blackburn midfield for some time)

Oscar.

It's a bloody good job your not our manager!

I guess that's a subtle way of saying you disagree? Please feel free to offer an opinion as to why.

Samba is a defender he will never make it as a defensive midfielder. He is too tall and can you imagine him running round like a donkey after the likes of Fabregas? He's quick yes, however he won't have the stamina and I don't know i'm just shocked that you even made that as a suggestion, as would many others.

What next? Roberts as our "attacking" midfielder?

What do the rest think?

Archived