BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Midfield Weak Link?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If anyone had to go, it would be Steven Reid. He doesn't do it for me, and we should be able to get a few mill for him.

Steven Reid hasn't become a bad player. If he can get himself fit he can be one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the country.

Remember a couple of seasons ago when Reid's stock was at it's highest? The usual rumours abounded pedalled by the usual suspects and who else but Spurs :rolleyes: were sniffing around. Did Reid do a Bentley? He signed a contract extension instead. Are those who are calling for him to go the same ones who bleat about player disloyalty?

Steven Reid hasn't become a bad player. If he can get himself fit he can be one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the country.

It's such a fine line between players in the top flight. Sometimes after a serious injury a person just can't get themselves back to the same level, it's a matter of the smallest of fractions..... Jansen was a prime example. If I was a betting man I wouldn't bet on Reidy returning to his old self, sadly!

Maybe prof, but you cant seriously be saying Dunn & Mokoena are good enough as our central pairing? If we wanted to just stay in the league, then maybe, but if we have ambitions then they aint good enough.

The frustrating thing about our midfielders is that they all have the ability, they just can't regularly produce it. Sometimes Dunn looks like his old self and can unlock any team. Sometimes Mokoena breaks everything up, protects the back four perfectly and distributes the ball well enough that he allows others to be creative. Sometimes Tugay looks 10 years younger and can play passes that no one else could ever see. Sometimes Reid has the energy and powerful style that made him one of the main men in our 6th place finish and the form that had United interested in him. None of them will do that for 30 out of 38 games. Probably not even 20 out of 28. What's worse is that their bad performances are championship level and that might be being kind. You can't afford to not know whether you're getting champions league or league 2 from your central midfield. There are too many good midfielders and too many good teams in this league. They've all had a run in the side to prove themselves, none of them really managed it. Out of our current lot, the only two I would seriously expect to challenge for a major role in the side are Reid and Vogel. Vogel looked pretty good in the few games he had. Reid, although he was horrible last season, can still be given the benefit of the doubt after such a long time out of the game. Now that he has had a full pre-season he can have no excuses. Still, I'm happy to see two or three new players brought into the middle of the park.

The frustrating thing about our midfielders is that they all have the ability, they just can't regularly produce it. Sometimes Dunn looks like his old self and can unlock any team. Sometimes Mokoena breaks everything up, protects the back four perfectly and distributes the ball well enough that he allows others to be creative. Sometimes Tugay looks 10 years younger and can play passes that no one else could ever see. Sometimes Reid has the energy and powerful style that made him one of the main men in our 6th place finish and the form that had United interested in him. None of them will do that for 30 out of 38 games. Probably not even 20 out of 28. What's worse is that their bad performances are championship level and that might be being kind. You can't afford to not know whether you're getting champions league or league 2 from your central midfield. There are too many good midfielders and too many good teams in this league. They've all had a run in the side to prove themselves, none of them really managed it. Out of our current lot, the only two I would seriously expect to challenge for a major role in the side are Reid and Vogel. Vogel looked pretty good in the few games he had. Reid, although he was horrible last season, can still be given the benefit of the doubt after such a long time out of the game. Now that he has had a full pre-season he can have no excuses. Still, I'm happy to see two or three new players brought into the middle of the park.

Do you think we should get rid of Dunn and have Tugay concentrate on coaching badges?

I feel that Ince (or someone) is in agreement with us and sees our center midfield and right defence as our weakest points.

It doesn't take a genius to see central midfield is our weakest area. And it is a big weakness as it is the place where most of the football happens....

Reid- Became, for about three months, an outstanding player who could get from box to box and absolutely terrify defences by bounding through the midfield at pace. Got injured, shadow of his former self, but arguably never fit. However never technically brilliant.

Dunn - Look at the MOTM polls from last season. Quite often was the best Rovers player on the pitch. Can pass, carry the ball, show real imagination at times. Yet probably equally poor in some games. I was very impressed with how much he worked on the defensive side of his game, and his workrate, but he is not really a "box to box" midfielder, and certainly not a DM, - more a proper AM - and tackling is not his bag.

Probably suffered from not having a proper defensive midfielder to hold the things together while he got forward. If he has further upped his fitness, and we bring in a highquality Makelele type to do the dirty work I can see him surviving in the squad and maybe even flourishing. If we bring in Bresciano I fear for his future as they play the same role....

Tugay - Best Rovers player in the last 10 years. But sadly a little past it, and post Savage we do not have anyone to do the running for him. I expect to see him in the Carling cup and not anywhere else....

Vogel - Tidy player, can pass, neat, accurate, unspectacular. But he isn't a beast, or even Owen Hargreaves. In an ideal world you want someone who can do everything Vogel does, and can also put their foot in and eat the opposition alive. Currently a shoo-in for a start as no one else can play his role (save Tugay, but see above), but you feel Ince is looking to upgrade.

Axe- Enthusiastic, and can do the eating that Vogel can't, but just not really a footballer in the modern sense. Stoke seem interested so he will be off. I think he will do well there until they decide to play a passing game.

Anyway in summery:

I think Hughesy had it right when he left - we should be looking for one central midfielder of Exceptional Quality (apparently Sparky was sniffing round Jean II Makoun - who has been sold now but you get the idea) as he could bring out the best in the others. I don't really see the point in Bresciano unless we are unloading one more of the lot above. Which we might do.

It is such a shame Diarra did not decide to bugger off out of Arsenal now when we have some money....

Bellamy offered £55k, Bentley £50k - I think they are very good wages.

Pompey couldnt offer much more than that surely?!!

Diarra joined Pompey on GBP65K a week if I remember correctly.

You have to remember the Gaydamaks were in money no object mode at the time and cranked up a stonking great loss as a result.

How about we play 3-5-2

Stopping the worry about a new right back and Warnock. Therefore no need for a new right back, and let Warnock join the Toon for around £7m.

Play 3 Centre Backs – Samba, Nelsen & Ooijer (Cover from Zurab & 1 new?)

If we want to go to 4 at the back for a game (We still have Emerton, Olson, Zurab also)

Play wing backs of Emerton & Pedersen (Both do alot of defending anyway)

Centre Midfield – 1 Defensive (Vogel?) – Villaneueva (Free Role) – Reid/ Dunn

2 strikers – Benni & Roque

Who was the last team to play three at the back? Must be six years ago at least. Or actually thinking about it maybe O'Neill when he first came to Villa. Soon reverted to 442/451 though.

I would be very wary of changing away from four at the back as positionin gand concntration are paramount in defence, and messign around with the system undermines that.

ps. Emerton would be an excellent wing back, he would go up and down the pitch all day! Pedersen on the other hand would cover the ground, and be good defensively, but I just can't see him carrying the ball (his dribbling is awful and he is one paced) far up the pitch from deep.I could see Warnock as a very effective wing back.

Just a thought - Controversial I know but surely worth a look if we are considering 5 in the middle. Not a big fan of only playing 1 upfront on his own, so 3 defenders is the only way to include 2 strikers and a big midfield

Midfield who loses out ?

Everyone who played in midfield last season has to be under threat, no one is safe.

For me though the 'Axe' has to go, so has Dunny, Mgp is going to have to pull out all the stops now or hes probably going to be heading for the exit door.

Tugay is finished sad to say.Steven Reid along with MGP have my stay of execution.

Bentley would have been the only one guaranteed his place but then hes off so it could look like a totally new midfield as it definitely has the potential to be a completely new looking midfield because last seasons failings depending were you want Rovers to be.

Never fear, Keith Andrews will soon be here! :rolleyes:

Vogel and Villaneuva if he signs.

Tugay is a has-been and needs to be taken out round the back of the stable and shot.

Reid is an injury-prone, inconsistent crock.

Dunn might get back to his best, but I doubt it with Ince at the helm. Plus fitness is a worry as he likes his food.

Midfield who loses out ?

Everyone who played in midfield last season has to be under threat, no one is safe.

For me though the 'Axe' has to go, so has Dunny, Mgp is going to have to pull out all the stops now or hes probably going to be heading for the exit door.

Tugay is finished sad to say.Steven Reid along with MGP have my stay of execution.

Bentley would have been the only one guaranteed his place but then hes off so it could look like a totally new midfield as it definitely has the potential to be a completely new looking midfield because last seasons failings depending were you want Rovers to be.

Not sure what your issue with Dunn is. After bentley he was our best midfielder last term. I'm not sure he will be a regular starter if we get 3 or 4 mids in, but certainly should stay in the squad. Reid, Ped, Axe, Tugay all played worse than him. Vogel was only around for six games or so.

1) Never fear, Keith Andrews will soon be here! :rolleyes:

2) Vogel and Villaneuva if he signs.

3) Tugay is a has-been and needs to be taken out round the back of the stable and shot.

4) Reid is an injury-prone, inconsistent crock.

5) Dunn might get back to his best, but I doubt it with Ince at the helm. Plus fitness is a worry as he likes his food.

1) The longer it takes, the better the chance of it no happening.

2) Like Vogel and seemed to be very professional, love the look of Villanueva's style of play.

3) Who says that players are fickle, that statement should make you ashamed after the service he has given the club.

4) See 3

5) Were you going for most consecutive negative comments for Guinness or something? Dunn is great backup and looked much better last season IMO.

Emerton may get his chance on the right after tonights performance.

Pedersen was back to his old self, running at players, banging crosses in and showing real desire.

Mokoena - Time to go! £3m please Stoke!

Dunn was our best center midfielder last season, JAL just has some personal crusade against him.

Hes not good enough!

He could only last about sixty minutes per game...just not good enough, ,we, Rovers, need better than what Dunny could deliver, thats the standard for progression.

For me his body cant deliver to standard required i'm not doubting his ability for one moment just his overall fitness.

Dunn was our best center midfielder last season,

Not a chance. In all honesty our best performers in centre midfield last season were Savage and Emmo, which is a pretty sad indictment of those who were playing there all season.

Archived