BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's News Ticker

It seems the good old Daily Mirror is the only paper with the fact that Brad SIGNED for Villa last night...

The Man City move was something of a shock, causing all sorts of stress for Joe Hart. That deal was masterminded by a certain Kia Joorabchian, by the way...and City could not afford the whole package...do I need to say more? ;)

Two belters for the morning.

Naming one of the right backs who has been watched.

And a bit of Warnock news - with the mother of all twists.

Don't ask...I ain't telling.

RIGHT BACK - Just a target, decent player, leaving it to the scouts to decide who is the best choice - and the progress has still got quite a way to run.

WARNOCK - It's a big twist, not sure whether you would see it as positive or negative...will provoke some debate.

When will you reveal the good/bad news to us?

Late on tonight...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just realising there are only three weeks to the start of the season - and looking at clubs who will need to sign players in an awful hurry.

MAN U - striker. ARSENAL - midfielder or two. CHELSEA - striker, possibly midfield, maybe centre half. LIVERPOOL - striker. SPURS - right winger, striker or two, maybe a centre half. VILLA - right back, maybe centre half, midfield, winger. ROVERS - right back, possibly two midfield, maybe right winger. EVERTON - right back, two midfield, striker. MAN CITY - keeper, left back, right wing, striker. PORTSMOUTH - right wing, midfield, centre half, left back. NEWCASTLE - left back, centre half, defensive midfield, extra attacker. SUNDERLAND - right back, centre half, two midfield, striker. BOLTON - left wing, centre half, midfield. MIDDLESBROUGH - central midfield. WIGAN - central midfield, striker, left back. HULL - centre half, midfield, striker or two. WEST HAM - centre half, possibly left wing. FULHAM - striker. STOKE - keeper, centre half, striker...at least. WEST BROM - centre half, striker...maybe more.

What other industry would swing into action with so much work still to be done? Madness.

nicko, do you have any names of who rovers are looking at instead of castillo

Not yet.

Nicko

Do you have any news yet on how much were paying Robinson in wages? Can't imagine he would have taken much of a paycut to join us but I'm assuming he must have been on more than what Friedel was on.

Also can you confirm if we are in deed getting around £500,000 from the Joe Garner to Forest transfer?

I don't know Robinson's terms but I would imagine it will be in the £35,000-a-week plus bracket and rising. It is also a five-year contract which is a massive commitment.

And I believe the Garner sell-on is correct. It's an awful lot of money for him. But the sale to Carlisle worked well for everyone...apart from poor old Neil McDonald.

Nicko

What was the link with Kia Joorabchian (sp.?) in the City interest; do you mean he was trying to broker a deal on behalf of City but they didn't have the brass?

Much has been made of Brad representing himself on his last contract renewal; was this still the case or was their agent involvement in his corner?

Think both us and Villa can be happy with the deal, what's your gut instinct as to how this was instigated - i.e. is it likely Brad got the whiff Ince may have been looking more at a long term solution & then a whisper went around he was available? Or do you think City sparked it all with their interest? Or was it just a speculative enquiry from Villa?

Finally, do you actually know the reason & want to protect your sources, or are you as in the dark on this one as anyone?

Thanks in advance, and for all the good work you do on here - much appreciated ....

Joorabchian was negotiating for Man City - he now does their deals. Bizarre.

Brad did his own terms but an agent called Tony McGill did the move for Villa.

As for how it kicked off...I think word went round that Rovers wanted another keeper and that alerted both Villa and Man City. Just who started those stories and why will maybe only emerge in time.

The bottom line is that all of the parties are happy. Rovers have a new and younger keeper without breaking the bank, Villa have a top keeper, Brad has picked up a massive final payment.

Sure, Rovers could have matched his terms and kept him...but you can understand why they didn't.

Brad was content until this all kicked off and Villa started offering fortunes. You can't blame him either.

It has all happened in a fortnight, so by modern standards that is minimum disruption.

70,000 a week 3 year contract is what i have been told...

Heard more like £50,000-a-week.

I bet Mark Hughes and co would walk barefoot over burning coals to get back to Ewood right now.

Joorabchian running Citeh's transfer business!!!!!

Joorabchian was also involved in Sparky's recruitment - along with his close chum Pini Zahavi.

However it is the 'massive' :lol: transfer kitty that may worry their new manager more I would imagine.

Question for Nicko: has your inside track to events at Ewood been derailed by the total regime change?

Surprised I heard no Scottish brogue grilling the new man at his press conference, and Castillo's ejection seemed to be news to you.

What's normally the best approach in such circumstances: brief favourably to prove ones loyalty, or brief negatively to demonstrate that having a journo inside the tent p!ssing out is preferable to the converse?

Just wondered.

Eh?

Fowler...Castillo...Villanueva...Friedel...Robinson...Osorio...Ochs...

Am I slipping?

Keep wishing.

Nicko, is there in truth in the story in the Manchester Evening News that Eric Steele is about to be appointed the goalkeeping coach at Manchester United - just two weeks into his new job with Rovers?

As Steele and Robinson appear quite close this is something of a surprise as I would have thought that Steele had some influence on Robinson coming to Blackburn.

Is this the reason why were are chasing Bobby Mimms? Have you heard any rumours about Mimms or even Tim Flowers being invited back?

The MEN also reports an interview with Chris Ronnie in which he has formally announced that he has no further interest in taking over Blackburn Rovers. He states that his own business interests are going to occupy him full time. I suspect that this means that there are now no potential bidders in play unless you know differently.

Any truth in a couple of moves that could be alternatives to Warnock and Santa Cruz?

Newcastle linked with Inter Left Back Nicolas Burdisso?

Man Utd have lodged a bid for David Villa?

Nicko,

Per Ciljan Skjelbred?

Do you know anything?

I knew about the Man U interest in Steele, but I didn't think it had gone official - yet. That does explain the ongoing interest in Bobby Mimms.

Chris Ronnie is out of the takeover running. That leaves Mr Chowdery and the 'mystery Americans.'

Warnock still alive - maybe Burdisso is the alternative. However he is just as expensive - and you can't swap Damien Duff for him... ;)

Man U and Villa? Maybe, but it sounds like a wind-up to get Berbatov.

I think it is Norwegian wishful thinking.

NICKO - does this mean the start of the merry-go round??

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...15875-20675692/

Spurs will have to sign a striker first...maybe two.

Bentley can happen - as long as the price is right. And the price is NOT £15 million.

Mind you, it would be better if this was sorted soon as you can make your own plans without him...otherwise it drags.

Nicko

Which club is likely to be most busiest before the start of the season in terms of signing? Will it be Spurs or are we all in line for a shock and it to be Blackburn Rovers.

Before the end of the month...maybe Tottenham. But possibly Everton too, way behind just now.

Rovers should get Villanueva, two midfielders and a right back, but you could not put a time-scale on it. Plus Robinson and probably Fowler.

You say two midfielders... Would two become three if Bentley goes or is it a foregone conclusion and you have already taken it into account?

If Bentley goes I suspect you will sign a right back first, take a look at Brett Emerton in that right wing role and then decide...

At the moment there is more talk of right backs coming in than right wingers.

Pennant seems favourite, but that would be down to price etc.

Newcastle papers full of card-marked lines about a 'third and final offer' for Warnock...

So two new Centre Mids, plus Villanueva?

We are going to be more packed than Spuds in midfield.

Oh yeah Nicko, the McDingles won last night 5-0, your mate Coyley was playing (:lol:) and scored the 5th.

You must have been skipping for joy.

I was interested to see that the team played 3-5-2 at one stage in Portgual. Sounds like the manager likes to experiment, which is good, so I think there will be an emphasis on midfield arrivals.

As for Coyley...some people just can't let go. :lol:

do the "if" go into account if mokoena leaves aswell, or will our signings be done regardless of him? and what is happening with him just now anyway?

I don't think he will play any significant part...and I don't think there is much interest in him either.

Nicko, I'm always curious about how long transfers take. One of Fulhams signings said that they knew of Fulhams interest at the end of the season but weren't signed until, what two or three weeks ago. The Danny Guthrie to Newcastle transfer was similar by all accounts.

Are we expecting the Warnock and Bentley deals to drag on that long, or do you think there is an end in sight?

It can take one call or a thousand.

The bottom line is that the price has to be right and the timing.

skysports says Fabricio Coloccini will rip his contract with his current club and go to newcastle if a deal is not agreed. truth? does this leave warnock at rovers?

Coloccini is a right back, hard as nails and mad as a badger.

If he comes over get a bet on him being the player with most cards next season.

Mind you, I would have him in my team every day of the week.

Also when you say we want 2 midfielders - what type? 1 Creative and 1 in the Viera Mould?

There was obviously the 'Castillo' type of strong, get-about-the-park, tackling midfielder...a better version of Mokoena.

And there still is the Keith Andrews issue.

So those two 'vacancies' - plus Villanueva - would be about right for that area.

Ochs is only 24 and shouldn't cost a bomb, but I haven't seen much of him. Apart from his name being sort of Scottish, what type of player is he? Speedy/slow, solid/dodgy, hesitant/lunger.

By all accounts he is athletic, can defend and get forward. He did well against Wigan last week which is a good test for a potential Premier League player. I think he must have a chance of being top of the right back list just now...but I don't know all of the names being watched.

One last question, QOTSA last night posted in the other thread about Villanueva having arrived. Have you had a chance to see or hear from the new boy?

I would think the club will make a fuss once all of the paperwork is done...this is an imaginative bit of business. So they should bang the drum a bit.

I find it surprising that Robinson has not even been 'unveiled' yet. When you bring in an England keeper you should make a bigger deal of it.

Sounds like a player we could do with to be honest.. have we looked at him?

Coloccini is too expensive for all but the dreamers of this world...

Coyley seems to be busy according to the press.

Eagles to sign today.

A Latvian former Rovers target to check out.

A £600k bid for the big lummux Kevin Kyle.

Eagles yes, Latvian only on trial, Kyle - no way.

What is your understanding of the Coloccini to Newcastle deal Nicko? It seems to have stalled. Would it not be worth a cheeky bid, if the money was available?

Fortunes...

Everton have no money according to some quarters of Everton Fans so i am a bit surprised you say they'll be alot of activity going on there.

Just sold AJ for a lot of money.

Their financier will pay for others.

There should be four or five in there in a hurry...maybe more.

According to the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/7530967.stm

"Blackburn Rovers have confirmed they are in negotiations with Tottenham over the possible sale of David Bentley.

But chairman John Williams has told BBC Radio Lancashire the club have yet to accept a bid for the England winger. "

That's nothing we don't already know.

I think this may be finally moving forward...think one or two people at Blackburn now want rid...

The price will be very close to £17 million.

One or two people being whom and why exactly NOW?

The key figures - who quite rightly think he is proving to be a pest.

Nicko, do you think that Rovers are waiting to receive the money for Bentley before they let Warnock go (whether in a swap or not)? It seems likely to me because then there would be £15m-£17m to splash out on a LB and RW.

I think there wil be a lot of trouble with the whole Warnock affair.

Nicko will we get a definite answer on the sell on thing once he's sold?

I think something should be said...

Nicko, what do you mean a whole lot of trouble with the Warnock affair?

I believe the chairman will put his foot down on this one.

There appears to be a row growing with regards to keans sale to liverpool - the spurs owner has said they were 'forced' to sell him to liverpool. Do you have any information on this Nicko? What is the difference with this and any other approach from any club wanting a Rovers player. There is always some form of snide moves in transfer of players.

It's a Spurs story - making us feel sorry for them...while they do the same by pushing through a move for Bentley.

What goes around etc.

nicko iv heard that the bentley fee could be rising up to 20.3 million... any truth in this??

I would be surprised.

Spurs have got their striker, by the way, which explains why they moved in for Bentley...

Young reserve keeper Frank Fielding will be sent out on loan...

Details in the Return of the 11 O'Clocker.

Also some interesting news re Bentley and Robbie.

is that Robbie Keane Nicko ?

Fowler.

Ok, is it Ince that wants rid?

If it is, I think you should say so, and if it isn't I think you should also say so instead of making vague comments which give people yet more ammo to fire against the manager without knowing any of the facts one way or the other.

I thought 17m was our original asking price anyway so we can't want rid THAT badly?

As regards Warnock I've seen nothing whatsoever elsewhere to suggest that either Ince or John Williams have the slightest interest in selling Warnock. His name hasn't even been mentioned anywhere else that I've seen, the "saga" only seems to be running on this thread. If there is indeed prolonged interest from Newcastle, is it not probable it is merely his agent stirring things up?

The Warnock saga only running on this thread...get real. Check the Newcastle paper this morning and the other papers who confirmed the Duff swap ongoing 'saga.'

You'll get to know the Bentley details later.

'Vague comments'? Don't make me howl.

BENTLEY - Deal will happen with Spurs. The fee is going to be close enough to £17 million to keep everyone happy. Both the chairman and the manager wanted rid by the end. He has been playing up - the boss wants the money for players, the chairman was getting fed up with the uncertainty. It is a lot of money for a player with flaws. But now it's about how it is spent.

PENNANT - Seems to be top of the hit list, but surely only if the price is sensible.

INCOMING - Sounds like a few trialists coming.

TARGETS - Defensive midfield maybe, right back certainly...maybe the chairmans remarks are a way of cooling down the Breciano story, Rovers WERE at the game - but just as much to watch the Eintracht Frankfurst right back Ochs...more than a coincidence.

BUDGET - Well, now we will see. There should be £7 million clear for Bentley plus what was already there...looking forward to the sell-on clause being confirmed shortly.

FIELDING - Young keeper wanted by Chesterfield, likely to happen.

TOTTENHAM STRIKER - Arshavin is coming. The fee is £19 million which makes it one-for-one with Keane. A decent choice.

By the way...

Bentley to Tottenham...Robinson to Rovers...Friedel to Villa.

All in one Mirror story on July 14 - and all denied on Sky TV later that same evening.

Aye.

What about the news on Robbie nicko, also is Bents having a medical tomorrow?

Apologies...he is down to play a full 90 minutes at Northwich Vics tomorrow with the reserves.

He has only played bit-parts so far, so this is probably a crucial night for him.

NICKO ANY NEWS IF ROVERS WANT ARON LENNON AS A REPLACMENT FOR BENTLEY THEN

:lol:

Well, Rovers had the chance in the Bentley talks...which is why I think Pennant is top of the list - but nowhere near past the post.

anything on warnock? what about carlos villanueva?

Newcastle were meant to make a 'third and final' bid - but I'm not sure that they have.

Villanueva is here and about to be unveiled.

Mind you, he could do with some serious company in the signings department too.

Robinson, Villanueva, Fowler [maybe], Andrews [possibly] and a right back would be a decent handful...but only one is actually signed up full-time so far.

Nicko do you think there will be other possible right midfield targets that haven`t been mentioned?

Hope so, it would be wrong just to leap at Pennant. Hopefully they will know of other targets and watch them - fast.

PS

Is this a good time to mention that Burnley have signed SIX players at a total cost of almost £4 million?

Nicko,

Was the compensation to MK Dons, for Ince disclosed.

I was led to believe by the financial brains on here we had.

10mill

3 mill trustees

5 mill hughes

7 mill Bentley

2.5-3 mill Freidel

- Robinson

- Ince compo.

- .5 mill Villanauve.

25m ish,

What would be your estimate of the transfer kitty.

You would hope £20 million now.

If not, why not?

I said at the start of the window that these next few weeks are huge...now it's about landing some good players to give the thing a lift.

Selling Friedel was necessary in the end, buying Robinson a reasonable option. selling Bentley for THAT money is sound business.

But now it's about how it is spent. Villanueva could be excellent, a right back, midfield enforcer, maybe a right winger...and things could look good.

Obviously Robinson doesn't believe the Keith Andrews story either :D

"There's no reason Rovers can't push on. If you hear the players the manager wants to bring in, there is no reason we can't push for a European place. I know this club is right for me, going in the right direction and very stable.2

Steady now...you were telling me there was nothing in the Bentley-Robinson-Friedel stories two weeks ago.

Do you know if there's any truth in this Nicko; Hughes' top target is Santa Cruz:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...15875-20676928/

The headline is definitely interesting - whoever wrote it seems to be getting mixed up as to where Hughes is / was!

There are two good reasons why that will not happen.

Man City do not have that kind of money, they are trying to sign Ben Haim on LOAN. His agent is Pini Zahavi, who started flirting with Sparky when he was angling for a move from Blackburn. Zahavi is also mates of Kia Joorabchian who is conducting most of City's transfer business just now.

Zahavi is also the agent of Benayoun, another player linked with City today.

I don't believe City have the money to afford Roque - unless they sell Micah Richards.

Not sure that "Man City do not have that kind of money" and "I don't believe City have the money" can be classed as TWO good reasons!!!

No, that's one.

The other is not for public consumption.

Cheers.

Nicko,

Any substance to Rovers being interested in Duff. (Warnock not being part of the transfer)

I understand that Duff also has some sort of problem with international clearance due to medicine being used to combat hay fever.

Put it this way...the Warnock-Duff thing still has legs. ;)

Not sure about Duffer's medicinal issues. It's his overall fitness that was always a concern.

£12m and add-ons to £15 million say if they reach the champions league is a crap deal and if we have agreed to it then we have lost out.

Some papers reckon its £15 million going close to £18 million with add-ons.

I think it will reach the figure Rovers wanted. The £15 million plus £2-3 million extras has echoes with the Duff sale all those years ago - and it is a reasonable comparison.

One way or another Arsenal get a slice of the money handed over.

Still waiting to see if that official percentage is revealed.

Spurs fans seem to think they are getting Bentley for £12 million plus £4-5 million in add-ons. A figure i cant believe is true as JW comes across as far more shrewd than that.

Is there a chance Nicko the fee will be undisclosed?

In this case I think the figures will be revealed...Arsenal are due a percentage, so that means there may have to be more transparency.

Oh, by the way. from tonight's LET:

Arsenal are also in line for a chunk of any profit, having negotiated a sizeable sell-on clause into the original deal.

Thanks for the reply Nicko.

Is it your opinion that the £12 million plus +£4-5 million in add-ons is far from the mark?

£15 million plus extras would be more like it.

Remember that £8.5 million plus Robinson [valued at £3.5 million] and installments was rejected a week ago. So £12 million plus installments is the SAME offer.

It has to be around £15 million and rising.

Grella to Blackburn ?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_3887044,00.html

Do you know anything about this Nicko ?

Grella...Bresciano...I think there is an Aussie agent with someone's phone number.

With the money Rovers have they surely must do better than these guys.

nicko........any truth in the rumour david dunns name is being circulated at circa 1.5 million ??

Not that I have heard. The Middlesbrough rumour was just that - a rumour. His name was mentioned in there but he was overlooked.

I must admit I think Dunny may struggle for a game if they land all of the midfielders they are sniffing around just now.

But, to be fair, it's all in the melting pot right now and a bit early to be sure.

All the midfielders......................???

We have Villneuva, and are linked with Pennant. Are you implying there are more?

There are a couple due in on trial and others being watched.

Castillo was coming - some of that style is needed - fresh legs, strong.

And, of course, the MK Dons lad we are not allowed to mention.

Nicko, I'm back and guess what I'm asking about Warnock again. Any news on this?

I see Bassong has signed, but I think he is just a squad man.

My info is that Newcastle still want Warnock - whether they plan to bid more cash or try to push the Duff thing is up to them.

Nicko, it's been reported that Tal Ben Haim has signed for Man City (rather than loaned):

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/spo...y_seal_tal_deal

Does this mean they have some money, and does this mean we should now be worried about Santa Cruz?

Four-year contract, full-time deal...no mention of a fee yet. I can't believe they are paying any kind of cash for someone who was a free a year ago.

Agent Zahavi and his pal Joorabchian seem to be doing all of the deals there. I wonder if the manager really wanted him.

Who is going to be dropped to let him in the team? Richards? Dunne?

It's Billy Smarts Circus.

And they still won't be signing Roque...

Typical Gooners

Underestimating Nicko.

I hope Inler does end up signing for them!

Arsenal are trying to sign him...need to sell someone first.

Break it to them gently.

Nicko, Is Robbies "Big Game" tonight? Will they decide on him after that game or are they going to give him a few more weeks?

Interesting to see how he does. He wants to join, the manager wants him to be fit enough...we shall see.

Nicko, I thought the £3.5 million for Robinson was a pretty cheap deal, is it likely that Williams and Levy set a lower price for Robinson (say £1 million less) and adjusted the Bentley fee downwards in order to deny Arsenal some of the sell on money?

As for Ince's other transfer targets are Rovers likely to be looking abroad to fill those slots? Ochs sounds a definite possibility as a right back but wondered whether there might be other British based options.

Finally, can you explain why so many people have a downer on Andrews when they know diddly squat about him? The one guy who would know him inside out is Ince and he has the most to lose if he couldn't hack it. We definitely need more numbers with the new 7 on the bench rule coming in.

Very good spot on the fees...quite possible.

And the Andrews reasoning.

No major news...spent the evening watching Rovers at Northwich.

Robinson looks very slim and was unlucky to be beaten by a freak goal. You wonder when his luck will turn.

Fowler tries hard and will no doubt be given more time, but the old sharpness is missing.

Benni looked totally disinterested.

I have a feeling that Paul Gallagher was in the shop window and being watched.

Looking at the squad as a whole there MUST be a specialist right back - Kane is not ready - and a left back if Warnock goes - although Treacy was quite promising there.

The central midfield looks short all right, not sure Vogel is the answer. No sign of Mokoena. Or Dunny.

So the Andrews saga still has legs?

Yes. My guy who knows him is adamant that the deal will be done at the right time.

Of course, he could be being misled...I think not.

Nothing new there with Benni. How long does Fowler have, surely he will leave himself so he could get another club if we keep him on trial for another couple of weeks?

I think he will get a lot longer...he is among friends.

Seen as you were at the game tonight Nicko, would you say Fowler is getting better from his previous games? whats your gut feeling, will we sign him or not?

Plus some members have mentioned Manuel Fernandez. Any insight on him?

Cheers

Ince and Fowler are pals, so he will give him as long as he can. Fowler is still chasing a dream and Ince is giving him that chance. I think this will run for a while yet. He is a free agent, so it could even run past the window.

Fernandes is talented but a lazy big so-and-so. Avoid.

Is there any truth that Daniel Planchería is having a Blackburn trial?

Courtesy of a very good PMer that is correct...thanks for the name I couldn't find it out despite the Barcelona B keeper tip I got two days ago...

Look forward to seeing who the right wingers we are looking are.

I would think if Pennant is top of the list, then I wouldnt be getting too excited.

Nicko could you confirm that the sell on was 50% over 3 million or is it just 50% as some papers are saying?

I heard 50 per cent of the profit. I believe Rovers paid around £3 million-plus for Bentley. So they will have to give half of the 'profit' - half of £12 million - to Arsenal - and split the other £2 million when it comes in.

How can The Sun claim the sell-on clause as an exclusive, by the way?

Laughed when I saw the Stock Exchange confirm the story that some were trying to dismiss or hide. ;)

From what I can work out, the £10m transfer kitty is simply a guesstimate figure from Nicko.

There's absolutely no evidence as to what, if anything, is available.

Mark Hughes said about March that he had been given a kitty...he was happy with it at the time...perhaps he was lying which is possible but unlike him.

If there was no kitty - that is a disgrace. Was he misled? Is that why he left? And WHY would there have been no money.

As we speak apart from that 'kitty' there is:

£4.6 million compo from Man City less £2 million max compo paid to MK Dons for Ince...so that is a further £2.6 million-ish.

£3 million allegedly from the trustees.

£6 million approx clear from the Bentley sale...working on the 50 per cent sell-on over profit.

Less £1 million approx from the Friedel out - Robinson in transfers, possibly even less based on the size of Robinson's contract.

Round figures I know, but that should be £10 million-plus.

And this does not include TV money...and any surplus that may bring.

Add the 'Mark Hughes kitty' and you have the total

Nicko any headway on who else is on the right wing shortlist, other than Pennant?

Is Lennon even on it?

Also, any update on Osorio or Ochs?

No new names anyway...if Lennon was on the hit list he would have been in the Bentley deal...and no further news on the right backs.

Archived