BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's News Ticker

What is the stance with Pennant? Have Liverpool offered him to Rovers or have we inquired about him?

Is Lennon on the radar now Bentley has moved on?

I think prices have been discussed with Pennant - but the clubs are miles apart.

Lennon could have been done during the Robinson-Bentley dialogue and wasn't...so he is NOT first choice. But you never know.

Like I say, it's not the best of choices for that position. So maybe hang back and see what emerges.

wasn't Bentley very average when relegated with Norwich Nicko????

Yes, he was. However he had/has flair. I just think Larsson is ordinary.

Newcastle's local paper say Keegan hasn't given up hope of signings Warnock but the club will move for Taye Taiwo at £7.5 million if they can't get him.

Where do the links with Sebastian Larsson to Blackburn come from? Because I've seen quotes from his agent saying Newcastle have had a bid rejected and that he wants to move there.

I think the Warnock business is over...won't sell, don't want Duff.

Larsson? No idea.

nicko. the spanish bid for Annan. is it accepted?

No, he wants to go to England. The club will oblige...as long as the Arsenal offer is in the same region. Obviously if they put a sell-on in that could eventually become much more.

By the way, the Man City goings-on will make good reading in the papers tomorrow.

Unbelievable.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nicko, do you think it will come to a point where Hughes will not put up with it and resign? I guess he'll have to swallow a great deal of pride to do so.

It does amuse me to see Hughes' dream of money and "platform to match his ambitions", are crumbling to sand. It's like watching an ex realising that the grass isn't greener on the other side, while you're having fun with your new girlfriend which might not work out, but at least she's young and good looking :)

Why do I get the feeling you are talking from experience... :lol:

What does Sparky do? Quit and save face, say he was duped...or sit and wait for a pay-off that would probably never come?

Tough call.

I still find it hard to take in that someone as sensible as him was conned by the Mad City big talk. Sometimes you believe what you want to believe.

Re: the RSC to Villa story.

Where would that leave John Carew? Would have thought that the two are too similar to play together. Both are big lads, hold the ball up well and are proven goal scorers. I haven't watched Villa enough but the impression I get is that O'Neill likes to play Carew with two smaller and quicker players around him in a 4-5-1/4-3-3, so would he play both RSC and Carew at the same time then?

You would have to ask Martin O'Neill about that...and if you ever listen to his answers you will be none the wiser by the finish.

There will be an 11 o'clocker tonight...

One bit of news that will cause screaming and another thing that is a hint of something to cheer people up.

Sorry, to correct any possible scaremongering by using the word 'screaming'...

It is NOT a sale.

Ladies, Gentlemen, theno,

I have to jet off for a little bit for work. Will have intermittent Internet use time, so I can not do this for two weeks or so.

If anyone else could help out that would be great, but I will catch up when I get back.

Thanks a bunch, and wish me luck.

Ladies, Gentlemen, theno,

I have to jet off for a little bit for work. Will have intermittent Internet use time, so I can not do this for two weeks or so.

If anyone else could help out that would be great, but I will catch up when I get back.

Thanks a bunch, and wish me luck.

Good luck on your travels. How do you get the quotes into the boxes? I will do it first thing each morning if I can crack that.

I think it's just a matter of quoting the relevant posts, copying everything in the reply box (including code) and paste them onto word or Notepad before pasting them all into a reply.

Hope that makes sense, I'm not here enough to do similar but I've found this thread invaluable.

I can probably fill in for now... I'll try to do my best and update as quick as possible! :P I'm new at this so bear with me, just hoping I can do half as good as rebelms.

There were a couple of daft rumours kicking about today - I checked them and found they were wrong.

But I suspect at least one paper has fallen for them.

We shall see in the morning.

As I think both are wrong I'm not going to start any balls rolling here.

It's mad enough as it is...

WARNOCK - The Newcastle thing has resurfaced, but the story going round yesterday was that he had asked for a transfer. That is NOT the case.

ROQUE - Somebody is revving up that there is a problem with him...but the Man City rumour has to be one of the stupidest I have ever read. I can't believe that made print.

I have to say that your club is leaking like a sieve at the moment and several people in there need to sharpen up their act. I spend more time chasing stupid rumours coming from the place than I want to.

I could go further but I will bite my lip on this at the moment.

And, by the way, I am sick and tired of this anti-Ince thing I am being blamed for. I think I have broken the stories on all of the signings and targets...what's 'anti' about that? Some people are either short-sighted or dim-witted. Possibly both.

If you don't like some of the players he is going for - Fowler IS still here and Andrews is very much to of his wanted list - then who's fault is that.

Did you want me to ignore the coaching course trouble or the management course issue? No. And if you did, tough. It was factual and it was relevant.

Mind you...

Everton have lost out on Vagner Love. Thought they had him on Saturday. Failed to show for a medical yesterday. Total chaos.

They have also had about three other knock-backs in the last 48 hours.

Away win?

nicko any update on the annan-andrews topic?

I am hoping there will be a development on Andrews at least. He is due to play for MK Dons tonight unless a fee is agreed. If he is cup-tied it might have an impact on his price...and he could get injured.

There won't be anything on Annan until that one is resolved. Arsenal are the ones making the moves and Wenger won't want him to play for Stabaek in Europe on Thursday [?].

ARSENAL/JOHNSON/ANNAN - The Michael Johnson story is wishful thinking from his agent. Arsenal are after other players [plural] and he is not one of them just now. Remember the Gunners are NOT well off which is why they have set up a deal for Inler but need to get into the Champions League to afford it which is why Wenger is delaying on that one. Annan is only a small fee, so that deal is basically down to whether the player wants to go there and take his chances. One of the Norwegian chaps mentioned the other day that he is part-owned by SEM...which is Jerome Anderson, a man with very big Arsenal connections. Has the penny dropped yet about who made the approach to Start last week?

:lol:

Nicko, the rumours of Sparky walking out, is there any truth in that?

The Sun back page today was just an attempt to catch up with the Mirror story yesterday.

Things are bad there just now. But Sparky is a fighter. I hear he laid down a few ground rules in the last 48 hours...but that won't make the books balance all the same.

Nicko - The midfielder you mentioned to do with us - was it Edu?

No.

Nicko a question on this Man City debacle, have we recieved all our funds for the Hughes/Staff compensation?

Yes...Man City paid the money but had to borrow it to pay it.

ANNAN - There has been a pretty big development. The news will have to wait until 11pm. However don't hold your breath if you expect Annan to be joining Rovers.

JOHNSON - What a very good idea.

ANY OTHER MIDFIELD NAMES - No...and please stop asking. When I hear of a bid or loan offer then I will do the story.

SPARKY'S COMPO - Paid in advance to Rovers. Thaksin still has to pay for it. That's the way to read it...

Could the mysterious midfielder be Alanzinho? The brazilian playing with Annan in Stabæk? He is small and knows how to pass the ball... That would be obscure after all the talk about getting Annan....

:wacko:

I think there's more chance of it being Nickozinho.

Nicko,

Was this your 11 O'clocker? That United are interested?

No.

Nicko, i don't believe anyone has asked you this yet so I will. Reports are suggesting that Nelsen wanted to stay at the olympics but Ince didn't get back in touch with him after he had asked. Is there any truth in this as far as you know?

No, it was pre-arranged to play for two games and then return.

Nicko often gives his opinion on Ince's decisions. He was highly critical of how the Annan saga (according to him) was handled by Ince and if I remember correctly there were even a few posters on here who disagreed with his view on it. Ince showed "lack of respect" or something wasn't it Nicko?

Many people on here take his rumours as fact and I think often they adopt his opinions too that's all I'm saying. In fact I've seen many people specifically ask for Nicko's opinion on various topics and although he's free to make them (good or bad) my original point stands that if he does judge Ince to make a mistake then we should remember who is the man who's been there and done it (albeit in Div 4).

Critisise Nicko and you'll be the first to be told how you're not a journo like him and asked sarcastic questions about where your next scoop's coming from so if he then critisises a professional football manager's decisions he must face be prepared to have his arguments thrown back at him.

Yet another mature respose :wacko:

You seem to be lagging behind again.

I said the manager had every right to decide against Annan and to choose Andrews. He had worked with both.

I said it was a 'lack of respect' to players to bring them on trial and then change your mind in a hurry. This was the case with Castillo and this was the case with Annan.

You may want to check these quotes from your club again to see that the Annan affair has been badly handled.

JOHN WILLIAMS - LAST THURSDAY MORNING: “Anthony has done very well. I don’t think we can be any more positive on how well he’s done.

“He’s a regular Ghanaian international and Paul really likes what he sees in him.”

PAUL INCE - LAST SATURDAY EVENING:

“He came to the club for a couple of days, but it wasn’t enough in helping me make a decision and to consider how much we were going to pay for him."

ps...Sorted out that 'two loans only' rule yet?

Nelsen wanting to stay at the olympics

Sorry I forgot the source. It's a bit disappointing if true don't you think? Though I've never been sure of the accuracy of the LT stories after Peter White.

If he said that he is out of order.

I know I'm cheeky asking this but if you never ask, you never know...

Could the people leaking all the stories be members of the board who were unhappy with the appointment of Ince?

Or is it possibly members of the new regime who are yet to understand the nature of the press at the highest level? (eg Ray Mathias etc.)

I ask about these because these are both sources who could easily close their mouth and watch what they're saying....

None of the above...just some people talking rather too much at the moment.

Some of your posts include:

1...Just to help nicko out on the Paul Ince comments

"When I came to Blackburn, I said I wanted to keep my best players, and Brad Friedel comes into that category. He is one of the best keepers in the Premier League.

There is no interest from me in Paul Robinson. As far as I am concerned, I want to keep Brad. I do not want to sell Brad, so why should I want Paul Robinson? "

2...Writes off the Robinson rumour and Brad going "scoop" in one paragraph. Nicko are you sure you don't want to back down a little here? We all get things wrong from time to time and unless you are calling Ince a liar, or that there are forces above him that pulling the strings which sounds more like Chelsea than Rovers it may be time to check your sources..

Anyone reading Ince's comments and saying they are aligned with what nicko has said over the last two days is being very economical with Ince's statement. IF Brad does go and nicko is right then I would consider Ince a liar, especially if the deal goes through in the next few days as predicted.

Pull your heard out of the sand (or should I say nicko's behind), let me remind you again...

3..."There is no interest from me in Paul Robinson. As far as I am concerned, I want to keep Brad. I do not want to sell Brad, so why should I want Paul Robinson?"

At the very least you can't deny that he is lying with "There is no interest from me in Paul Robinson" if nicko is correct.

WHO WAS CALLING YOUR MANAGER A LIAR...YOU?

Didnt nicko warn us about Warnock requesting a transfer, and said that it was only bull****?

Warnock has NOT asked away...but he does fancy Newcastle United.

This is becoming a nightmare and explains why there were so many bids for him and all of this chatter.

So that wasn't me revving it up after all.

To clarify...I heard this story yesterday, checked it out and discovered he has NOT put in a request. He still has not. But he DOES want away.

Warnock obviously thinks/knows Newcastle United are still in for him and does not want to miss the chance.

This is becoming a bit troubling.

Nicko, what is it that has changed Warnocks mind, he seemed to like it here last season and Newcastle are a shambles (although I''d say we have become one in the last 7 weeks).

I think I had better pass on that one just now...

The trials and tribulations of supporting a small town team!!!

I was properly downhearted when we were relegated but this pre-season is really getting to me.

Nicko, have you got any positive news for us??? Here's hoping.

I wish.

It would not surprise me if there were a lot in the media who would love Ince to fail. I hate to use the colour card, but to some it is an issue. I wonder if there are people in the media who are ' deliberatly' upsetting Ince becasue he is black. It is also possible that Ince opened the door to what is happening at his press conference when first appointed as manager. Maybe he came over as very weak etc and therefore ripe for the taking.

Maybe Nicko can shed some light on how Ince is viewed in the media.

That's just not the case.

I was looking forward to an exciting if unpredictable season. I felt it needed a change as it happens.

But I have got to say I have never known so many stories flying around the club than there are right now.

I try to trace back where things come from and to get the strength of them before I commit to print.

But I have to repeat that this is like the Wild West at the moment...players coming and going and leaving and not coming.

I still say the time to judge is when the games start. But you can't be losing your best players and not finding suitable replacements.

As an advance of the 11 o'clocker I will tell you about the next left back in the sights. I think this one was originally as cover, but frankly you never know these days.

Keith Andrews news...you can decide if it is good or bad.

As of an hour ago Rovers are refusing to pay the £2 million asking price.

Andrews is unhappy about this and we shall see if he plays tonight or goes on strike. I suspect that he will play.

Andrews thinks it is too dear - and so does your manager.

The latest I hear is that he will let his contract run down and go for nothing next summer.

This is a tactic aimed at making MK Dons drop the price.

It does seem high...if it lowers then this will happen.

Watch this space.

ANDREWS - As you know, the valuations are still apart.

ANNAN - Racing Santander have offered #2 million on or so...biggest bid yet. Arsenal still want him but don't want hyim to play on Thursday. I don't know of a Rovers bid...yet.

WARNOCK - As stated before, wants out but Newcastle are only talking #4.5 million. It will take more.

REPLACEMENT - Paul Konchesky at Fulham is the name being pursued. I hoped it was for cover.

FOWLER - D-Day on Thursday I believe. I think he will get a deal.

PENNANT - No nearer, but I have a feeling that one could happen just to 'raise spirits.'

Sorry that the pound signs aren't working. Dropped the laptop earlier.

MONEY - Yes, there is plenty. And not many can say that.

Good night.

Doubt I'll make this a regular thing, but as Tesco say, every little helps.

Thanks for the help, sorry this one is a bit unorganized, I am in abit of a hurry.

I heard there was a full-scale practice match organised for tomorrow...we should have a better idea then if King Carlos is ready.

Don't ask me why but I have this picture of him hitting a 25-yard winner at the weekend.

What's the price of that happening? Because I am on it.

I can understand Paul Ince's defiance.

It is a stance.

However Warnock wants away and Newcastle will have to pay the asking price.

Taking stances is understandable, but in the long term you also have to find players who will come in and want to play for you.

I have never golated about the manager's remarks re Friedel, Robinson and Bentley...those were also 'stances.'

However the bottom line is the team you get on the park and the results you get.

Words, ultimately, mean nothing.

Milner and Villa has been on for some time...maybe they have agreed a fee...but it would have to be a lot more than 6 million.

If Newcastle get to 5 million for Warnock that could happen.

I think Warnock is a good player, but not great. He can tackle but he can't play. If you get a better player, fair enough.

Is that Konchesky? No.

He won't confirm the size of the bid...but it's not £2 million...thought you said he always told the truth... ;)

Racing Santander are quite rich just now because they sold Duscher to Sevilla and want a replacement. They are NOT in Europe [i believe] so they are OK about Annan playing tomorrow night.

Arsenal now have to come up with a similar sum which is putting Wenger on the spot. He needs to get this done before tomorrow's game in my view.

Now that Annan is 'flavour of the month' I bet there will be lots more at that game as well.

ANNAN - my mistake.

Turns out Racing Santander ARE in Europe and don't want him Cup-tied either.

So the Annan D-Day is likely to be before tomorrow night's game.

Fowler should be decided tomorrow...signing I think.

Andrews won't happen until the price is right.

Annan could well be off before tomorrow night's game in Norway.

CORLUKA - Mark Hughes wants him to stay and has stamped his feet good and loud.

Tottenham think they have some sort of claim on him.

The player may/may not ask to move.

So I think I will keep my winnings in my pocket and not bet on that outcome.

Zigic - another loan? We already have a very good aerial threat with RSC. We need some pace up front but then again, this is not an area we need to strengthen at the moment.

I believe Zigic was looked at around the time Sunderland were sniffing round Benni. Understandable thought.

However Sunderland are yet to bid for Benni because of the price tag.

I must have said about four or five times in the last two days that Warnock has NOT asked for a transfer...but he does want to move.

Sky were told as much yesterday or they would not have run the story.

Love the picture on the official website too........... Warnock is obviously tempted by the geordies and everton but as nicko quite rightly pointed out he has not submitted a transfer request!

Everton are not in it - and Newcastle will have to bid a lot of money.

ANNAN - So Rovers don't want to buy him...got slaughtered for saying that last Friday...he was only offered a loan...why?...the manager wanted Andrews instead.

ANDREWS - For the hard of hearing...Rovers have been trying to agree a price...you will note that the Daily Mail had the fact that MK Dons thought they were selling him on Monday...it's not just me who knows about this...I have a source as close to Andrews as I need who told me precisely what has happened all the way through...the player wants to come, but undertands that the price is too high.

WARNOCK - Sorry, but he wants out...how do you think the story leaked to the papers in the first place...why did I hear about it - and ignore it - on Tuesday after my paper had a tip 'from somoene at the club'...and then why did it hit Sky yesterday?

ANNAN - I had heard that Rovers were not sure about him and other clubs had looked and thought he was too small. The info shocked me, but I was happy to chase it and found out you were correct.

This time last week the chairman was praising him to the heavens...a couple of days later he was being offered a loan. Now other clubs are offering decent money.

It has twisted and turned as moves often do.

You will also see that the player says he would be glad to play for Rovers/Arsenal/Man U. He changes his mind as much as he changes his socks.

I am quite happy to accept that the manager saw him and overlooked him. That's his call.

I still don't think it's right to mess people about.

What goes around comes around.

is the LARSSON thing dead yet?

if he play against wycombe tonight, will we drop the chase because he is cup-tied? (even though its just the carling...

If it was ever alive...which I don't think it was.

Bresciano is being linked with a move to rangers,have you heard anything about this nicko?Are rovers still interested in him and grella?

I was never too convinced about Bresciano and Grella as targets.

I know Bresciano was watched about two weeks go...and nothing has happened since.

But I have to say, in the current climate, that anything is possible with two midfield players still wanted - and none here yet.

THAT is the most troubling thing as we speak.

Archived