BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's News Ticker

Thanks guys for keeping this going. This thread is a life saver for me.

I think it is for a lot of people judging by the number of views - almost half the number of Nicko's thread itself.

It's just a shame a few more people don't take the time to copy Nicko's important posts over here in the absence of Rebelmswar, it only takes a minute or two.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nicko, with annan being passed over and MK Dons adamant over the fee for Andrews is Ince looking seriously at other CM targets or is he just hoping that MK dons reduce their price on or before the eve of the transfer window?

I wish I could tell you...and I have an awful feeling you will be asking the same question for a while longer because there isn't much sign of progress.

There is always the chance of a kneejerk job and going in for a Steve Davis or someone like that - just because they are available.

I don't know that, but transfers like that happen when there are vacancies and no-one filling them.

Minor update...there was a training game and work on the line-up, but it would be wrong to divulge any details apart from the fact that Roque was doing some work on his own but seems to be fit.

Interesting Champions League stuff tonight.

Shabani Nonda gets two for Galatsaray - never rated him. Brilliant to see Bruce Rioch taking Aalborg near to the group stages...a real manager. And Panathinaikos won away again...good old Henk Ten Cate.

No major transfer news apart from the Konchesky thing being 'live' - although that does NOT mean Warnock is going.

Should be a Fowler decision and some news on where Annan is going tomorrow.

Pennant? Maybe. Andrews? Maybe MK Dons will decide to sell.

Nicko, Jimmy Bullard was being touted at teh start of the summer as being up for sale. Did I dream that? Because the permed one is someone I'd love to have at Rovers.

Smashing chap but I don't think he would pass a medical. Bad knee injury a year ago...that could be a problem.

I have no more info on Grella...would he be any good? Not sure.

Nicko, heard there's a 10am news conference tomoz. true or not?

Heard from where?

Our friends at Sky sports News reporting that City have made a £12m for Roque.

What price a nights peace in front of the telly??

I usually find it better to count to ten when I am fuming...in this case it's about a million.

How any newspapers or TV stations can fall for the Roque story is beyond me. It is blatant propaganda from a club which is on the rocks because of their problems.

City employ a couple of spin doctors who brief the media to make it sound like everything is wonderful.

Remember Ronaldinho? Where is he?

The Sun ran a 'Hughes quits' story and then cosies in by taking the City-Roque 'bid' seriously.

The Independent's man is close to Joorabchian and his people who also want to make sound City like a force.

Quite pleased with the Spurs Corluka row story in the Mirror today...check that out to see what is REALLY happening.

And, by the way, City will sell one of their top players shortly to bid for a striker...but it will take more than that to buy Roque.

It is laughable.

Nicko - call me paranoid - but I am starting to feel like the media have it in for Rovers. One night SSN report Warnock has put in a transfer request - the following RSC to go to City.

Some of the stuff in the media, just to grab headlines, is unbelievable. At least when you give us a rumour you qualify how valid you feel it is.

Headlines that Rovers are considering a £12m bid for RSC is absolute drivel - either these guys don't have a brain or it is a deliberate ploy to unsettle the club.

I really think now is the time for every Rovers fan to get fully behind Ince. He isn't everyone's choice - but I would prefer to back him than give into the media bullying that we currently seem to be receiving.

I can understand why you say that.

However you do have players who are wanted by other clubs. Take that as a compliment. I can think of some clubs have have NONE.

But you have just banked a lot of money and have no need to sell - unless players stamp their feet and demand to go.

What concerns me is that your squad is two, three or even four players short. That is more cause for worry right now.

GRELLA - It could be happening, but I've not heard it. Agreed, could do better.

Nicko,

Which top-player is City offloading ? Are we getting him?

Nicko- Is there any chance we could be in for Milner, we have the money, so we should at least place a bid, or if we negotiate a swap for Warnock. Minds in Overdrive!!!

The Man City sale will hopefully keep for the morning.

That is one stick of dynamite best kept in a safe place at the moment.

Milner is £9 million. He is a good player but not THAT good.

Straight swap for Warnock? Maybe.

11pm then nicko please!

Anything else happening? Any news for Rovers or Everton?

I think quite a lot is happening...but nobody seems to be able to wrap up deals.

Why does everyone leave it so late?

Drives me nuts.

I think there needs to be another statement with a firm hands off about Roque, just to put this to bed once and for all.

No-one followed up on what I posted from earlier in the Lancs Telegraph...

Nicko - do you think the signing we are closing in on is Andrews? just got the gut feeling so

If there is a 'long term target' close then it would either be Andrews or Pennant.

But as of last night there were still big differences in valuation in both cases.

Nicko, the club have confirmed that City have bid for RSc and that it was turned down.

You missed that one didn't you ;)

I could make a bid for Roque...it's not going to happen either.

I don't fall for publicity stunts.

You can if you want to.

How many times has 'City and Roque' been mentioned this summer? Have I ever taken it seriously?

Ask WHO leaked it to Sky and The Sun? Start working things out more.

Interesting thinkg on Annan.

Start says that they only last night received a bid for Annan. There was NO bid during the weekend. They were only told that a bid WOULD COME - and now has. It was from Racing Santander. They play uefa-cup, so they might want to step up the bid if they have to. I dont know if its accepted.

That might have had a mention here yesterday... ;)

Here's a thought on Roque.

Accept Man City's bid...and see if they have the money.

nicko who leaked the roque story to skysports?

Probably the same person who leaked a lot of the Mascherano stuff a few months ago and always gets credibility with shots of him on his mobile and references to him being a wheeler-dealer and big player.

I don't even want to mention his name.

Nicko, a young hungarian (u19 international) guy, Andras Gosztonyi is in Blackburn at the moment. But the hungarian papers don't write why he is at the Rovers. Is it a trial or just a chance to training with Rovers a couple of days? Any information about this?

Shhhh...I'm saving that for Sunday.

Nicko the keeping it quiet for sunday kid, wasn't he on trial at liverpool??

Could it be Barry, is bringing over some of the kids he was checking out at pool, they have massively invested in their youth recently?

There was a tie-up between Liverpool and MTK.

So I take it that Barry Whitbread is behind this one.

Mind you, it would be better if there were more first-team players landing.

Interesting..

Also have a guess whose son plays for Liverpool youth? ;)

Nicko, is there any truth about Spurs wanting compensation from City over the Corluka fiasco? Viewed a few spurs forums and they are fuming. They are backing the club to possibly take legal action.

That was my story and Spurs are going all the way on this. Checked yesterday and again today.

Not that Spurs are blameless in transfers, but this Corluka affair is a bit ridiculous.

FOWLER - Will sign. That is presumably the long-term target. Allow me a Gloat Fest when that one goes through. Took some stick for breaking that one a few weeks ago...maijg it up blah blah...anti-manager blah-blah. Just happened to be a hell of a story.

ROQUE - Tottenham? Well, if they have £20 million. At least you could take that idea seriously. However I am not sure it will come round. They have taken about a month to replace Keane with Arshavin.

WARNOCK - Probably the good news...I hear Newcastle are now after another and much-cheaper left back. No names. That one is for Sunday - I hope.

MAN CITY SALE - Chelsea want Sturridge. I like him a lot. Could be a shrewd, shrewd deal.

MAN CITY ROQUE INDEPENDENT - Like I said yesterday, Joorabchian feeding his mate and he is swallowing. Milito is also a Zahavi/Joorabchian job. Sure, that's happening too...just like it did at Everton.

THE GETAFE STRIKER - Could be right. I hear a pacey striker would be an option if Benni was ever sold.

TEAM NEWS - I won't be doing any of that...certainly not when you are aware that other people/clubs are watching.

FOWLER - In the team picture but not signed yet...what is going on?

VILLANUEVA - Well he was here on Wednesday...but fit to start?...pass.

MCCARTHY - If Sunderland have reached £9 million that will be interesting. If...

It'd be useful if a few other people could just stick the 11 o'clockers or big updates in here, there are enough waiting around constantly for them.

Its late, I'm tired but too hot to sleep.

Nicko's posts only:

Yesterday, 15:17 Post #5069

Sorry for lack of updates.

Been out and about, working. Hard life, eh.

Also been counting to a million again re this Roque rot.

Have to say, no word on this 'imminent' signing.

There could be Annan news later. He is due to play tonight. Racing Santander's bid is the biggest and it's make your mind up time all round.

Forgot to say that as Annan needs a work permit he could not play for Arsenal or Rovers for a week or more anyway...whether you buy, loan, whatever that would be the case

Yesterday, 15:19 Post #5071

QUOTE (Broken_Picture_Frame @ Aug 14 2008, 16:16 )

So City put in the bid as a PR exercise just to create the facade that everything is ok with financies at the club. That makes sense actually with the bid only being twelve million They knew that Rovers would never accept it so didn't have to worry about how they were going to pay for him.

It would be a bit like bidding a £1 for a new car on E bay, it shows in your listing you are bidding on a fancy new car but you know you are not going to end up with it.

Or a man stops selling the Big Issue to step inside an estate agent's and make an offer for a house he can't afford...but goes and tells his mates and Sky Sports News about it.

Something like that.

Yesterday, 15:26 Post #5075

QUOTE (bonger 26 @ Aug 14 2008, 16:20 )

nicko are there any other names you could possibly share with us about who we may be looking at?

I think it's about time that decisions were made on current targets and I've not heard any new ones. The 'mystery' one I heard about seems to be very problematic, so it is probably the usual suspects.

Yesterday, 15:57 Post #5085

QUOTE (RibbleValleyRover @ Aug 14 2008, 16:35 )

Nicko have you heard any truth in this?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11706_3981987,00.html

"Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock expects non-league star Tom Denton to sign for Blackburn."

I believe he is signing for Huddersfield Town.

Yesterday, 16:42 Post #5094

QUOTE (hawkiiz @ Aug 14 2008, 17:37 )

nicko. have there been more than one bid for annan?? what other club than racing?

i wouldnt worry too much about them though. they seem to think norway are packed with quality midfielders - they are after alexandre tettey from rosenborg aswell.

I think there have been a few 'offers' but nobody has bid the money they want.

In that case - as it stands - Annan plays tonight.

Then we see whether Racing still want him, Arsenal still want him and maybe even Rovers still want him.

Start WANT to sell and the players wants to go...so something has to happen soon.

Yesterday, 17:01 Post #5099

QUOTE (hawkiiz @ Aug 14 2008, 17:59 )

He IS playing. the game starts in 5 mins

do you think his value (bidding clubs) will increase/decrease/no different because of the game tonight (it being uefa-cup)?

oh.. and will he play internationals the same time as benni and co? maybe rovers and arsenal want to have a new look then?

Feel free to let us know how he does...

Racing Santander and Arsenal have obviously not agreed a fee.

So it's still in the mix.

Yesterday, 17:35 Post #5106

Here's some good news...

Baines and Jagielka will be in Everton's midfield on Saturday.

Baines at left wing by the sounds and Jagielka as the holding player.

Not as daunting as it might be.

Yesterday, 17:41 Post #5110

QUOTE (brian_gallagher85 @ Aug 14 2008, 18:39 )

Sorry if I've missed something but are they still getting Smith?

Now we just have to hope Lescott and the Yak pick up a few knocks

Smith deal is there to be done...I think they want to sign someone better first and then slip him in.

Where have we heard that before?

Yesterday, 19:24 Post #5144

QUOTE (blue'n white @ Aug 14 2008, 19:35 )

are we in line for a sweet 11'o clocker tonight! i'm seriously in need for some great transfer news:)

Trying.

Trust me.

Trying.

Yesterday, 19:52 Post #5151

QUOTE (Doaksie @ Aug 14 2008, 20:39 )

Nicko, you mentioned you think we need 3/4 new signings before August 31st. How many do you think we will actually purchase?

Three or four...funnily enough.

Midfield or two, possibly a right winger and surprisingly a goalkeeper for the ressies.

Unless a couple more leave...but let's not go there.

Can anyone confirm that the team picture was taken on Wednesday? Would love to know if Robbie Fowler was in it?

Has it been used anywhere? Can't find it myself.

It might answer the 'long term target' question.

Yesterday, 20:51 Post #5163

Here is the news.

ROQUE - Manchester City's bid was £8 million - not £12 million. How have they got this money? That I will have to keep back. But you can probably work it out. However the offer is so low that it is almost insulting. There is no way Rovers would accept that. Why offer it? Make your own minds up.

FOWLER - Still love to know if he was in the picture.

ANNAN - Chief scout Barry Whitbread was at the game. We shall see.

ANDREWS - My source keeps telling me it's just down to prices.

TARGETS - Still actively looking, sounds like nothing is decided on the possible right winger and the one or two midfielders. Can't see anything done by Saturday in those departments.

But tomorrow is another day.

QUOTE (budha @ Aug 14 2008, 21:50 )

Not that this 100% belongs to this topic, but as I can't seem to write to transfer links -topic anymore..

Five top-flight clubs circling with an eye on Super Eagle Dele

For a second I was scared we were after (Big-)Dele Adebola. Anything more on this, anyone?

Golden rule...when you see more than three clubs linked with one player in a story then you treat with caution

Yesterday, 22:12 Post #5193

QUOTE (Cookiemonster @ Aug 14 2008, 23:03 )

According to the ever reliable and in noway bias Manchester Evening News, City will bid again for Santa Cruz.

Presumably they had a whip round tonight

MEN

Do you reckon they will make another bid Nicko?

More cheap publicity.

Today, 08:35 Post #5248

FOWLER - Will sign. That is presumably the long-term target. Allow me a Gloat Fest when that one goes through. Took some stick for breaking that one a few weeks ago...maijg it up blah blah...anti-manager blah-blah. Just happened to be a hell of a story.

ROQUE - Tottenham? Well, if they have £20 million. At least you could take that idea seriously. However I am not sure it will come round. They have taken about a month to replace Keane with Arshavin.

WARNOCK - Probably the good news...I hear Newcastle are now after another and much-cheaper left back. No names. That one is for Sunday - I hope.

MAN CITY SALE - Chelsea want Sturridge. I like him a lot. Could be a shrewd, shrewd deal.

MAN CITY ROQUE INDEPENDENT - Like I said yesterday, Joorabchian feeding his mate and he is swallowing. Milito is also a Zahavi/Joorabchian job. Sure, that's happening too...just like it did at Everton.

THE GETAFE STRIKER - Could be right. I hear a pacey striker would be an option if Benni was ever sold.

Today, 10:07 Post #5304

TEAM NEWS - I won't be doing any of that...certainly not when you are aware that other people/clubs are watching.

FOWLER - In the team picture but not signed yet...what is going on?

VILLANUEVA - Well he was here on Wednesday...but fit to start?...pass.

MCCARTHY - If Sunderland have reached £9 million that will be interesting

Today, 12:51 Post #5371

QUOTE (alexanders @ Aug 15 2008, 13:41 )

According to Norwegian Media;

"one of the clauses in the Annan bid from Racing Santander was that he did not feature in yesterdays UEFA-cup match. Now that he played yesterday Racing might withdraw their offer and Annan might end up in another club, even a Norwegian one."

What a saga...

You certainly got that right. Mind you, Arsenal are now looking to sign a player or two next week and he is still on their list...don't know what Rovers made of last night. And I wouldn't discount Racing Santander either.

Messy.

Today, 12:55 Post #5373

QUOTE (Hughesy @ Aug 15 2008, 13:54 )

Nicko - Any news on this Grella rumour on sky?

Also anything new on Benni?

The Grella story is going round and round in circles. It may be right. But if it is £4 million for him then that sounds a bit too much.

As for Benni...Sunderland have lots of money...but why leave it until today?

Football drives you mad at times

Today, 13:42 Post #5391

QUOTE (JohnS @ Aug 15 2008, 14:38 )

Nicko whats the latest on James Milner?

Staying at Newcastle...different noises out of the club...football, bloody hell

QUOTE (Doaksie @ Aug 15 2008, 14:26 )

Nicko,

Just wondering, with the close of the transfer window fast approaching - are you looking forward to some more relaxed reporting, concentrating on the action on the pitch, or do you crave the frenzind transfer windows (dismissing/confirming rumours, feeding us nuggets of info? etc.)

I do enjoy the rumours, but I'm counting down the hours till 3pm tomorrow and the real action beginning. Will be kicking every ball against the Toffees!! Can't wait.

First...I am looking forward to a day off on September 1.

Second...I should be looking forward to the start of a season, kicking off with your game, but I know that most of the interest will be about who is NOT playing in the Everton team because of no signings being made and who Rovers are STILL short of.

I don't think I have ever known a season when so many clubs are still at the 'work in progress' stage.

So much money, so many amateurs around.

Frightening.

Like I say, I need a day off.

I am sorry but my PC is going a bit bonkers on me. Please can someone finish off from post 5403 on page 271 to theend of the closed thread? There are only 3 pages to do and some good stuff for the News ticker.

At the time of writing this, there are no nicko contributions on the new nicko thread version xi.

As the thread is closed I cannot quote directly so I had to do it this way. Sorry for the inconvinience.

Mozzer - ive heard a price of 2million for the french player-why would we pay that for a reserve player??

NICKO = £200,000...but you never know...he might have been great in training.

NICKO's Reply to John S - So basically a bunch of muppets in the game. Okay you give me your honest opinion on these deals Nicko. Whether they will happen. Like a rating 1-5, 5 is happening 1 is a no go. Just a bit of fun.

Andrews - Blackburn 5 if MK Dons see sense...currently 3

Milner- Villa 1 now because of Geordie politics

Barry- Liverpool 2 unless Liverpool sell Alonso in which case it is a 5

Berbatov- Man Utd 5 over the weekend

Robinho - Chelsea 5 if the money goes silly

Santa Cruz - Spurs 1 because I don't think he is first choice and they don't have 20 million

McCarthy - Sunderland. 3...or 9 million and it's 'taxi'

Nicko on Roque improved offer - Old story...I would say they are about £12 million SHORT of the money needed.

And I haven't heard of any bank robberies anywhere today

Nicko on Cash richness of clubs - Sunderland possibly although they have had a fair old spend up already.

Villa may have a couple of dabbles but seem careful...and have the Barry issue to consider.

Spurs have bought and sold so many that they probably have enough for one out anjd one in.

So I would still say Rovers are right up there in that particular table right now.

ANDREWS - The whole situation should become clearer shortly...I suspect he is pushing hard for the move. From his point of view it is a dream chance.

FOWLER - The way the manager is talking him up and putting him in the team pic suggests that is a formality.

GUERET - I think there is something in that too...you have lost one keeper and loaned out another.

GRELLA - Still checking, would imagine he would be watched in the Australia game in midweek. He will also talk up his chances in the next few days too. We shall see.

MCCARTHY - If it gets to £9 million there has to be the chance of a sale.

ROQUE - Daft Man U rumours, but I still think it will be Berbatov who goes to OT.

TARGETS - No feedback from weekend games that were covered...yet.

I don't see anything bleak in it. The manager has been after Fowler and Andrews since he came...like I have said countless times you have to let the manager manage.

Selling McCarthy - and replacing him with a quick striker - would be fabulous business. Do it.

And if someone came up with a silly offer for Roque, then that is just part of football. I think it is unlikely, but you never know.

This time last year there were similar concerns with Benni...no-one came in but many probably regret that now. ;)

Do you hear whether we would seriously consider selling Benni at the right price and is there any rumbling of interest in replacement strikers?

Where did you hear that we would look at a pacy striker if he left?

Terrible cliche - but every players is for sale at the right price. Benni is no expection. £9 million for a 31-year-old who played a few minutes at the weekend is unbelievable cash.

And I know that quick strikers have been checked recently...just in case.

More than one? English-based or foreign-based?

So is Uche really on the radar?

Care to give us any clues at all Nicko? :)

Nicko, someone over the weekend said we might be looking at Roman Pavlyuchenko as a replacement for Benni? Do you know if this might be true or not?

If that was true I would buy a season ticket...

Nicko, surely that post implies that we had a couple of absentees from the side?? I cant for the life of me think who was absent apart from Bert. I know you said earlier that it was due to Mokoena and Reid playing but surely that doesn't back up the original absentee comment. Had you initially heard that RSC was out, I know he had been a doubt all of last week.

I heard Reidy and Mokoena were starting, which meant Emerton was out and Villanueva was not fit to start. Didn't expect Ooijer to get the nod over Simpson, turned out quite well in the end.

:rover: paul ince has expressed a lot off pressmen/reporters have been causing him/the club grief.silly reports about unrest/transfer speculation and still 90% off the board take everything said by our resident reporter as gospel.grow up and see him as a agent provocateur :brfc:

You've been a bit quoet since you said the Fowler stuff was garbage...

Strange that.

Actually it's less what has happened and more what you suspect/your opinion but I'm not one to split hairs

Just like I suspected most of your moves this summer.

Must be a lucky guesser.

It's amazing how much more work you can get done when the site is down...

The 11 o'clocker tonight will be well worth a check.

In the meantime, no questions...off to an obscure ressie match.

Oooh how exciting, anything Rovers related.

Rovers-related, all right.

Final question and final answer.

The 'news' is this:

JOAQUIN - Rovers are watching him and that is one of the tales in the morning. I don't think they have bid and the price seems high. But they are looking and there is a chance. Sounds like Valencia want to cash in. The chief scout has watched his last two games...that is not a coincidence. I believe they went to watch Zigic and Newcastle, saw this guy and went to the game with Real Madrid on Sunday. That sounds like an interest to me, but probably not a bid already.

IVICA OLIC - Chief scout Barry Whitbread went to see Hamburg at Bayern. I believe it was to watch the Croatian striker. He is available and good. Obviously that would be if someone left...like Benni. Sunderland are not at £9 million yet, but not far off.

I'm sure there will some whingers who see this as negative in some way.

In which case, consult your therapist.

Grella still surprises me, but there we go.

Joaquin is very real...Olic developping a bit too.

And there could be a lot more going on today.

There's a closed-door game featuring a couple of well-discussed names, Carlos and Robbie I believe.

Plus a top striker who has been invited in for a quick trial - but with a Premier League rival leading that race. I WON'T be naming him just yet.

All of the other stuff will have to be kept back for later unfortunately.

Little update...

JOAQUIN - The prices quoted earlier - the 12 million and 3 million - are in euros...otherwise the info from Spain is accurate.

SAVIOLA - He is NOT the player I was talking about coming in on trial. Newcastle are currently trying to sign him on loan.

MYSTERY STRIKER - If anyone knows this I will hold a steward's inquiry. There is no way this name could have got out...and won't do until it moves on.

Racing Santander were offering the most money, but wanted him to be pulled out of the European game. Now I hear they have signed someone else.

Arsenal and Blackburn could offer less now and maybe get their man...but both seem to have backed off for some reason. Maybe he wasnt so great in the last couple of games after all.

At the asking price it can't be a hard deal to do. If you want to.

Nobody quite that glamourous...or chunky.

Just heard Henning Berg is the new boss of Lillestroem...taking over from Fjortoft.

Can our Norwegian chums confirm?

It was confirmed

I love that 'BBC understands' line. Why don't they just say 'BBC read in the papers.'

Man City close to signing Silvestre from Man U for a small fee...which will probably mean Corluka being sold to Tottenham for a big fee...and ending their little dispute...and possibly meaning Dinamo Zagreb get their second installment for Corluka...Michael Ball may also go to bring in even more dough.

Starting to warm up

Spurs still want Arshavin. Once they get him I take it Berbatov goes to Man U.

That one is currently putting me to sleep.

There may be some Silvestre drama.

NOT involving Rovers before we get a stress fest.

Could be...

In reply to Silvestre going to Sunderland

Checking...but not the best CV...27 and only made about 70 first-team appearances.

In reply to Sky saying Rovers looking at Lopez

JOAQUIN...I know that Rovers have found out the price....it is £9 million up front plus £2 million extra...at those prices I don't think it will happen, but it coud come down and then be a possible.

OLIC...The English agent in the deal was at the club today...so again I think they know the price - around £5 million - and that is a possible if Benni McCarthy leaves.

TRAINING GAME...Villanueva looked the part...Tigay played...not sure Robbie Fowler did...WHAT is going on there?

ANDREWS...I heard Archie Knox went to watch him last week, so that one is still 'live' but will come down to the valuations.

MYSTERY STRIKER...Told the guy is going to West Ham first, but Rovers are keen...his name may come out in the morning... ;) ...interesting player...told he is very good...but Curbishley does not want to sign him because the Italian guy Nani - his technical director - is behind the deal.

SURPRISE BONUS...There is an Israeli keeper coming in on trial later in the week which suggests the reserve vacancy is not filled...and MK Dons keeper Gueret is not a done deal yet.

Good night.

The trialist striker in at West Ham has NOT been named yet...he is a good one...but that should be out in the morning.

There is a chance for Rovers on this one as politics may cock it up at West Ham

Can I use that expression?

Also adding this one:

I couldn't find the Benni thread so here will have to do.

Went to Australia-South Africa tonight at Loftus Road and I spoke to Benni after. You can read the full story on Setanta tomorrow but basically he knows Sunderland are interested and if he's not starting for Rovers then he'd like to go. Which is fair enough.

Also met Vince Grella before the game and it seems reports of his signing are a little premature. He's says there's no official contact from either Fulham or Blackburn but he would be interested in a move if either made a bid.

Woy Hodgson was at the game and, perhaps wisely, wouldn't comment when I asked him about Grella. Think Fulham's his more likely destination if you ask me but he's not a bad player and could do a job for Rovers.

Incidentally Benni's performance tonight was incredible. I've honestly never seen a player move less. I could count on one hand the times he broke into a sprint.

About McCarthy and Sunderland...

I think it got as high as £7 million.

Don't know how this will impact the search for another striker.

About a possible news update later on...

I think you have had the updates already...unless something happens later.

Andrews has to be close, McCarthy more likely to stay and still waiting on right wingers and another midfielder.

Hang on LeChuck some very important information missed from that post of your's:

Sebastian Pinto is the 'mystery' striker I was on about. Chilean, big and strong, very highly-rated. He signed for Santos in Brazil but fell out with the coach and is now available for sale, better still you can have him on loan first.

He is known to Carlos and could be company for him...but he is also a very decent player. Big and strong, knocks people about and scored on the deck and in the air. He has just one cap, so might struggle for a permit. However he may have an EC passport. Or get one made. :lol:

West Ham have been into him for a few weeks, but Alan Curbishley is not into the idea...his technical director has set it up and there is some politics.

Rovers have invited him over, but it seems he may have gone to London already. Obviously one of his agents is pushing him that way. But Rovers are still in this and could intercept the deal.

Not sure where he fits in the squad, but worth a look.

Fowler might have played, my source only got a sneaky look at the game for a few minutes...and didn't notice him. Not many more details unfortunately.

There will be significant news on Benni McCarthy later...need this to keep for the morning. Even this early in the day. ;)

Ohad Liveta will be in by the end of the week.

It was in certain editions of the Daily Mirror this morning... ;)

JOAQUIN - The trouble is the price.

PINTO - Is NOT a Joorabchian player. One source tells me he is at West Ham as we speak but there is trouble over this. Rovers waiting and watching.

ANDREWS - Anyone still want to say I have been making this one up? Can think of one or two having Humble Pie [twice] for lunch right now. Custard Pie for afters... :lol:

MK Dons wanted £2 million, the Rovers offer is £800,000 in installments.

The player wants to move and 'threw one in' at the weekend.

Classic compromise would be £800,000 up front plus a few extras.

I think there has obviously been a compromise on this already within Rovers.

The manager always wanted him. He has to be backed.

Hold the phone...

Fowler was always on trial with a view to signing a short-term contract. No expense really.

Andrews was always a target and if a deal can be done cheaply then that is fair enough.

There could be a new reserve keeper. Little expense either.

That STILL leaves you bundles to get a couple of top players...a right winger and a top-line midfielder...maybe even an extra striker if required.

Granted I would be upset if they did not arrive, but these things take time and proper homework.

No need to panic yet.

ROQUE/VILLA - Have they got over £20 million to spend on one player? Itis the only question that applies.

JOAQUIN - I think Rovers would like to pay less. I don't blame them.

GRELLA - Not really sure about this one, it's just not a name I have been picking up, but happy to be convinced otherwise.

nicko when will we hear the Benni news? 11PM OR EARLIER IF SOMEONE GETS THE STORY.

Also, does it have anything to do with Roque? NOTHING AT ALL.

And by saying Sunderland wont get him, does that mean NO ONE will? SUNDERLAND ARE GOING ELSEWHERE AND EXPECT TO GET THEIR TARGET.

Just read the MK Dons-Andrews piece all the way through.

The offer is £500k plus £800k...that is very fair.

And Winkelman has accepted it.

It was only ever down to valuations.

This is happening.

Humble Pie takeaways on order...

He confirmed cisse is going to Sunderland, not Benni, and that the ex-Liverpool staff at Rovers did not fancy having Cisse at Ewood.

Hang on LeChuck some very important information missed from that post of your's:

Ah, thanks for that. The search function has been disabled so I couldn't just look for Nicko's posts...and as everyone just seemed to be talking about McCarthy I assumed nothing else had happened.

Not much to add from yesterday...

ROQUE - Man City phoney baloney 'bid' is now dead. What a surprise? Wait until you see who they drag in instead. Laters, as the man said. Villa won't go to the money needed. Move on.

MCCARTHY - The Cisse Sunderland deal may yet hit a late snag, so that one could come back on. I don't think there is any chance that they will sign BOTH. And the £10 million figure just seems like fantasy.

ANDREWS, FOWLER - Same as it ever was.

ISRAELI KEEPER - Should come in today, over for a few days.

JOAQUIN - Down to price, but other right wingers still being watched. So that is far from settled.

GRELLA - Somebody trying very hard to sell him. Yet to be convinced on this one, but willing to stand corrected.

Still to decide on Hungarian kid, who spent a few days at the club and has now gone back.

I've not even chased the Lopez thing. With that CV I can't see what he would bring to the party.

Healy to Sunderland today.

Davis to Rangers.

Do you know how much they are paying for Healy ? Whatever it is I don't think he is worth it !! THINK IT IS A SWAP FOR ETUHU

Do you think Keane will still go for Benni ? NO

Man City will be selling a player or two very shortly...

There is an awful lot going on today...

Give me til later and I will make a bit more sense of it.

And there WILL be a striker at Rovers tomorrow. With other midfield targets moving too.

However do not draw any conclusions about players going, especially up front.

Newcastle won't pay the money for Roque either...

I wish people would either make a seriously big offer or just leave this cheap publicity alone.

Rovers fans do have a chip on their shoulders at times, but on this one I can understand why they are totally brassed off about teams looking for headlines linking themselves with a top player.

Q about Grella and midfield

I will know more later. However I think decisions are being taken on a couple today.

Replying to whether RSC, Benni or Warnock are to be sold

I don't think they are planning to sell...but if a big offer comes in or a player demands to leave you have to plan for that too.

You would feel a bit daft if someone broke the bank for one of those three and you could not find a replacement and hadn't done your homework first.

I think that's where things are at the moment.

PINTO - The big Chilean striker is here. Had a row with West Ham which meant that he wallked out. Have to see how he does, but the reports are good. The only snag is - do Rovers need another striker at this time? He can come on loan, so this one has a chance. I would think his presence means there will be no move for Zigic until he [Pinto] is looked at.

MCCARTHY - Think Sunderland is off. That probably means there is no need for Olic. Might not even be a need for Pinto or Zigic. Not sure.

ANDREWS - Just about the strangest move I can recall for some time. MK Dons have accepted the offer but not given the move the go-ahead. The player will NOT play for them this weekend. There is some kind of snag but no-one is saying what. Very odd.

GRELLA - Archie Knox and Carl Robinson watched him play for Australia in midweek, so there is obviously an interest. Don't think a price is agreed.

JOAQUIN - There are no other bidders and Valencia need the cash. You never know.

ROQUE - Nobody has robbed a bank today, so I think he will stay. But there is a long week still to go.

REplying to q - have Rovers bid for Joaquin:

Nobody senssible makes a bid unless they know it will be accepted.

That's the kind of thing that separates man from the apes and Rovers from Man City.

Rovers will be trying to push the price down or do a deal that suits them...this could happen.

It's like the Benni story. Sunderland will have made verbal offers, but they probably have not put in a written bid as they have been told 'he's not for sale.'

Wonder how that stance will look by the end of the year.

You have to be realistic. Man U may get fed up with Berbatov and try a bid. That is the ONLY possible way that Roque would leave in my view.

The other clubs won't offer enough and Roque would not kick up a fuss for a sideways move.

If Fergie called I would be very concerned. You can't discount that. He IS a very good player.

I think Annan is going to Rosenborg Trondheim. But I gave up on that one about two weeks ago...as did Rovers.

Drog calls Pinto Carlos Kickaball-

It's not like you to stereotype...

But you should know that Pinto was flown in by West Ham with the promise of a four-year deal and then found out the manager didn't want him.

After a 10,000 mile trip I think he is entitled to be peeved.

He got on a train and headed north-west.

I would applaud that rather than give him some cliched tag.

But that's just me.

[

This seems to have died a death :( Here's everything so far from the 11 o'clocker last night till 11:21 today (Weds)

Here's the news...although you know most of it already.

Grella done. A wee bit expensive, but decent enough pedigree.

Andrews missing again for MK Dons. If he is not signing why is he not signing?

Right winger. Could be one of several. Pennant is he decides to play football for a living. Ireland ditto.

Israeli keeper gone, others being checked at home and abroad.

Pinto is still here and that decision will be at the end of the week.

MILNER - Was with a Newcastle official tonight...they have NO players...so they might sell him if they can spend it.

BERBATOV - Could still be messy. If they get the other Russian that is a good replacement.

EVERTON - Trying to sign the Guinea defender.

Nicko, italian site Calciomercato report that Birmingam made a bif for Bolton's Al-Habsi.

Any truth in this?

http://www.calciomercato.com/index.php?c=24&a=93128

Bolton won't let him go.

AKALE - Nonsense.

FOWLER - Heard he was unhappy with the pay-as-you-play deal, so it may be that he goes. Mind you, the manager has been pushing for him to stay. So this is probably not dead yet. I wonder if there was a trade within the club - 'you can have Andrews or Fowler but not both'?...makes you think.

nicko is it right that rovers are interested in SWP

Not at £9 million.

On Grella + Andrews = £5 million.

Grella is around £4 million and Andrews [with bits] will be around £1 million.

Nicko do you believe with Grella and Andrews in, that the summer shopping for us is done.

I will be happy when the Andrews thing is done, but that won't stop the activity.

There are right wing possibilities...a second-choice keeper...and intriguingly a left back being watched as cover or whatever with Warnock.

Then you have the Fowler and Pinto issues.

This is far from over.

JUST A BIT MORE ON ANDREWS...

http://www.harlowstar.co.uk/mknews-sport-m...e.asp?ID=343484

Archived