BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Barack Obama

To me , both candidates aren't up to much .

Obama is like a vacuous pop star - I still haven't a clue what all this "change" talk is all about .

McCain by this VP appointment seems to be going with some very silly PR advice . He should rise above that kind of nonsense .

Even so I reckon the old fella will sneak home .

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still half expecting Bush to get re-elected thanks to some dodgy counting machines in Florida.

As for the candidates, I don't think either of them would do a bad job, the VP choices are to balance the sides.

Obama is a rookie (ish) and coloured, therefore go to a distinguished white gentleman to balance him out.

McCain is 70, white and has bags of experience, so go for something completely different in the vp candidate.

I think the democrats will win because the swing voters are sick of the Republicans/bush. But McCain is the Republican's best chance of winning.

Who is Richardson? Another question for you, can anyone be the VP? Or does it have to be a Senator or state governor?

It could be a member of the House I suppose. It could also be a high ranking member of the military or indeed a high ranking, yet unelected, member of the party.

Bill Richardson is the Governor of New Mexico. He ran for the Dem nomination this time round. His mother is Mexican and he has huge sway with Hispanic voters. He served in Bill Clinton's cabinet yet endorsed Obama a couple of months ago.

I really do wonder what the GOP could possibly have to say this week other than attacking Obama for being popular. Do they actually have any policies with currency that they can promote?

I have to admit I get a kick out of reading the reactions from overseas about our political process (or lack thereof).

Personal feeling. Palin wasn't probably even top 2 or 3 in McCain's list originally. But Lieberman and Ridge would have ###### off thefar right part of teh Rep party and killed his support in the Rep. base and he was advised against it. He eneded to combat the call for history on Obama's side and of course teh call for "change" to steal a bit of his thunder.

I also think the fact that Biden has a touching family background, and a son going to war (giving up the Delaware AG job to head to Iraq) meant that McCain and his advisors felt the need to counter that.

So I guess the list got short when your keywords for the search are: "historic", "child in Iraq", "touching family story", "pro-life" (or Anti-abortion depending on your view), "young", "reformer".

Also, there is a quite funny Obama commercial on TV around here right now using a spoof of an older song, and some quotes and picture to completely rip on McCain. I had to give it credit for originality and comedy.

I have to admit I get a kick out of reading the reactions from overseas about our political process (or lack thereof).

Personal feeling. Palin wasn't probably even top 2 or 3 in McCain's list originally. But Lieberman and Ridge would have ###### off thefar right part of teh Rep party and killed his support in the Rep. base and he was advised against it. He eneded to combat the call for history on Obama's side and of course teh call for "change" to steal a bit of his thunder.

I also think the fact that Biden has a touching family background, and a son going to war (giving up the Delaware AG job to head to Iraq) meant that McCain and his advisors felt the need to counter that.

So I guess the list got short when your keywords for the search are: "historic", "child in Iraq", "touching family story", "pro-life" (or Anti-abortion depending on your view), "young", "reformer".

Also, there is a quite funny Obama commercial on TV around here right now using a spoof of an older song, and some quotes and picture to completely rip on McCain. I had to give it credit for originality and comedy.

Is that the one where they show him hugging Dubya? Hilarious picture.

Bush jr. has now given his backing publicly to John McCain.

That's his hopes of getting into the White House completely wrecked!

Probably not, actually. Everyone knew Bush jr. would make that speech, I mean, what is a sitting president supposed to do? support a candidate from the other party? Make believe he has no opinion on the future o the office?

The real issue is more, will the Obama line of "4 more years of Bush" stick to McCain. If it does, he's dead in teh water. If he distances himself from that line, then he has a chance.

Is the American Dream all that it's cracked up to be? These politicians can't get enough of it and the crowds seem to love it. Does it mean anything substantial?

My understanding, to put it simply, is that it means that, in the US, if you work hard, you will succeed - there is no supposed hereditary elite or entrenched working class. Is it true of the US and if yes, is it something that is worthy of the acclaim that it receives - there's almost something religious in the way it's invoked.

It may turn out that the tactics for the Republicans are McCain playing the good cop, talking of uniting and making America better and so on, whilst Palin rouses the right wing Fox News types by attacking Obama, the evil liberal threat to the family and so on. Her speech was written by a speech writer for Bush Jnr. and had the same plain, direct, negative tones. It will probably work, and the Milfmeister will have a grandkid called something weird.

The Republicans are ridiculous. The US economy, indeed the international economic situation, is a shambles and yet they haven't a single solution to offer. The cynicism is staggering. All they can muster is some governor from a far-flung mountain range to offer right wing platitudes and mock community organising. I hope Biden kicks this dippy cow's ass in the debate.

No doubt McCain's acceptance dirge will be a barn-burner... :huh: The whole thing makes the nauseating DNC look like a dusty Whitehall think-tank.

Is the American Dream all that it's cracked up to be? These politicians can't get enough of it and the crowds seem to love it. Does it mean anything substantial?

My understanding, to put it simply, is that it means that, in the US, if you work hard, you will succeed - there is no supposed hereditary elite or entrenched working class. Is it true of the US and if yes, is it something that is worthy of the acclaim that it receives - there's almost something religious in the way it's invoked.

Don't take anything at a political convention to be "true". Conventions are nothing more than political pep rallies. If something gets teh crown to applaud and get excited, they'll say it again and again.

The Republicans are ridiculous. The US economy, indeed the international economic situation, is a shambles and yet they haven't a single solution to offer.

I'd say that's a tad unfair. You may disagree with his plan, but McCain has certainly advanced one. I mean where do you think Obama gets all his figures about "tax breaks" and "no help tot he middle class" etc. Actually was an interesting story this AM on the news where they took an "average, middle class" family and compared their tax payments fior next year using McCain and Obama's plans. Interesting story in total.

As I said to Rover6 above, the convention is a rally more than anything else these days. there's not more "figuring out the party platform" discussions since the party elite meet all the time, and we don't get the joy of "coalition governments". To this point of the convention they haven't addressed the issues, but then again, of all the speakers that have gone out there, its not Guilani's or Romney's or Thompson's or Palin's or even Cindy's plans that matter, its John McCain's. I assume that he has to get to the issues tonight. I'll be amazed if he doesn't.

Archived