BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kalkan And/or Dalyan, Turkey

Sorry Paul I was not questioning your integrity or doubting your experiences

I didn't imagine you were doing so. My apologies if I gave that impression. A few days in a country is a very dangerous way to assess the real place.

By the way Turkey is NOT a muslim country.

Cheers.

Why do you say that? The rather skimpy guide books I read suggest Turkey is 98% Muslim? Now I know this is simplistic but mosques were everywhere, the call to prayers was heard frequently each day (don't you love the one at sunrise!) and many of the women appeared to be following an element of Muslim dress. I gained the impression this was the dominant religion in the same manner the UK would be considered a Christian country?

Anyway it was a good holiday and I've seen more than enough to convince me a "real" visit would be good. I'll have to wait and see what happens in 5-6 years time when I retire.

First lets stop apologising to each other - using posted messages it is very difficult to establish the "tone" in which they were written. I'm sure neither of us intended question each others integrity. Peace!

Turkey is a secular state where it just happens that the majority of the population is muslim. There is a very big difference between a secular state and a muslim country.

The secularism (if thats the correct term) is written into the constitution and is jealously guarded by the military. Recent history has shown that any attempt to mix religion and politics and governance of the country results in a military coup in order to guard the secularism of the constitution.

Last year a new president was chosen who was a member of the ruling AK Party. The secularists objected to his appointment on the grounds that it was "the thin edge of the wedge" and Turkey would slowly become a muslim country. He assured the objectors that that was not the case. The military joint chief of staffs issued a "general" press statement reminding everyone that they were the custodians of the constitution and any attempt to make Turkey into a muslim country would result in "interference" (a military coup) from the military.

Earlier this year the ruling AK Party repealed the law which prohibited girls from wearing headscarves in colleges and universities (the wearing of headscarves is forbidden in any government building). The secularists objected and took the matter to court and won on the grounds that the wearing of headscarves in government establishments (universities) was threatening the secular nature of Turkey. Now as before you will see girls walking to college and university in their headscarf but removing it at the entrance before they attend their classes.

Hope that clears that up for you.

A strange situation .

Militarists upholding secularism ....and a democratic party trying to chip away at it .

Who should the West support ?

Strange indeed and an excellent point you raise there.

In between being nominated by the ruling AK Party and actually being installed as president (shortly after the "generals" had issued their warning) the government held a "snap" general election on the grounds of "let the people decide who rules the country" - they came back with an increased majority and 47% of the vote.

Well the west are currently supporting the government but I suppose with the current world political climate if there was a military coup on the grounds of "the government is turning it's back on secularism and Turkey is becoming a muslim country" then the west would change sides and support the military.

Archived