BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pennant

Has Pennant actually been any trouble at Liverpool? The last thing I can remember him doing was stupidly getting caught for drink driving whilst he was at Birmingham. Now, not that I condone that in any way...but he's no Joey Barton, is he? He just sounds more someone who made some stupid mistakes when he was younger, he certainly doesn't come across as arrogant/troublesome character on the field...he works hard, takes hard tackles properly and doesn't seem to cause much controversy.

He's not my first choice, but I think he'd be an excellent signing if he came. Can anyone remember the 2007 Champion's League final he played in? Most Liverpool fans agreed he was their MOM that night, I can't remember whether he actually officially got it or not though. He has tremendous pace and dribbling ability, but he just doesn't seem to have settled under rotation-Rafa. He was brilliant for Birmingham though, I didn't hear many Liverpool fans complaining when they spent £6 million on him.

The main positive for me is he'd offer something totally different to Pedersen, we don't really have an outlet like Pennant at the moment. Plus we know we'd be getting someone who can handle the Premier League, I'd be very nervous about signing someone untested over here because we already have Villanueva to bed-in.

Edit: There's a good YouTube video of him here. Whoever made that video has put quite a few clips of him just working hard and getting some tackles in, plus some excellent runs and skill. He's exciting, works hard and has undoubted ability...but he's struggling at a big club and needs a bit of guidance. Sounds like a perfect Rovers players, doesn't he?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pennant is unsavoury character but maybe he'll do a Bellamy. Our squad is, as far as I know, united and comport themselves well, so Pennant may be kept on the narrow by his colleagues.

After all, Bellers came with a rep.

Bellars is a far better player than Pennant. Pennant might behave himself here, if that's all you mean.

Jermaine Pennant

If i have to compare Bentley with pennant is has to be like this:

David Bentley:

+ Free-kicks

+ Crosses

+ Shots from outside the box

+ Creative

- Lacks the pace

- Too many efforts

- A little bit selfish

Jermaine Penannt:

+ Technical abilities

+ Pace

+ Creative

- Crosses

- Stamina

- Winner instict

I think Jermaine Pennant will add flair, pace and bags of skills. He also has a decent crossover and will be a very good addition to our squad.

For all those who are commenting about the fact he wasn't able to make it into Liverpool's XI. I Think he was as many else a victim for Rafa's stupid rotation system, also a lot of good players have fallen through at Anfield; Morientes, Alonso, Harry Kewell, Luis Garcia, Peter Crouch, Benayoun and Babel.

I would also like to mention that our very own Steven Warnock wasn't even close the First XI and he shines now!

Has Pennant actually been any trouble at Liverpool? The last thing I can remember him doing was stupidly getting caught for drink driving whilst he was at Birmingham. Now, not that I condone that in any way...but he's no Joey Barton, is he? He just sounds more someone who made some stupid mistakes when he was younger, he certainly doesn't come across as arrogant/troublesome character on the field...he works hard, takes hard tackles properly and doesn't seem to cause much controversy.

He's not my first choice, but I think he'd be an excellent signing if he came. Can anyone remember the 2007 Champion's League final he played in? Most Liverpool fans agreed he was their MOM that night, I can't remember whether he actually officially got it or not though. He has tremendous pace and dribbling ability, but he just doesn't seem to have settled under rotation-Rafa. He was brilliant for Birmingham though, I didn't hear many Liverpool fans complaining when they spent £6 million on him.

The main positive for me is he'd offer something totally different to Pedersen, we don't really have an outlet like Pennant at the moment. Plus we know we'd be getting someone who can handle the Premier League, I'd be very nervous about signing someone untested over here because we already have Villanueva to bed-in.

Edit: There's a good YouTube video of him here. Whoever made that video has put quite a few clips of him just working hard and getting some tackles in, plus some excellent runs and skill. He's exciting, works hard and has undoubted ability...but he's struggling at a big club and needs a bit of guidance. Sounds like a perfect Rovers players, doesn't he?

Spot on. My exact thoughts.

Better a proven Premier League player than another guy who needs 1-2 yrs to settle. I don't think anyone here would complain if we bouth Pennant 2 yrs ago from Birmingham for £4-£5

What do you mean when you say he hasn't cut the mustard anywhere he's been??

He was Birminghams best player by a long shot, and he was also one of Liverpools best players in the CL final not too long ago.

He hasn't cut the mustard wherever he has been, and he appears completely brainless, personally I'd prefer we stayed away from jumped up jail bait like this, prefer Lennon ANY day of the week!

That's simply not true, he didn't earn a £6 million move to Liverpool by failing at Birmingham. He was also one of very few positives in the Leeds team that went down. It's not like he's been poor at Liverpool either, he just hasn't cemented a place in the first team, similar to Warnock when he was there.

I agree that Lennon would be the better option, but Lennon would probably cost a lot more than Pennant because Spurs will probably place a ridiculous valuation on him. We're not even sure Lennon's available either, whereas Pennant is.

What do you mean when you say he hasn't cut the mustard anywhere he's been??

He was Birminghams best player by a long shot, and he was also one of Liverpools best players in the CL final not too long ago.

Totally agree Ricky....We're gonna pull out another Warnockesque signing here....Not good enough for Benitez and his totally confused selection process, Rovers can benefit big time....just like Arry has with Crouch....

What about in all the 100+ other matches Liverpool have played since he joined them? He's injury prone too.

I have some inside on Lennon and would not want him at Ewood- if you think Emerton is an athlete masquerading as a footballer then Lennon is a sprinter with no natural football ability.

Pennant is not my first choice but would back him he arrives. BUT, I'd hope his medical includes seeing a psychiatrist and an alcoholism expert.

Schweinsteiger- if ever I have seen a non-English player custom designed for EPL football its this guy.

Ince has the money to grab Schweinsteiger if he wants him.

Pennant to me is one of a dying breed of classic wingers in the way he hugs the touchline and beats full backs round the outside before crossing. Not something Bentley did a lot but when he did we looked dangerous with RSC in the box. Still not sure if Pennant is worth £6mil though having not played consistently well at all for two years.

I'd much rather have Schweinsteiger but even I'm not that optimistic! I agree with the comment on Lennon , I think he's like Shaun W-P in that they are both very quick but seem to hit the ball in front of them with little thought to what direction they are moving in. It seems more luck than grace when I watch them beat defenders.

Anyone KNOW with any accuracy how much money Arsenal took? I've read numerous figures ranging from £4mil from £7mil and it could make quite a difference.

Pennant is a good player and i am sure he will do a very god job at Rovers, he has got great skill and pace, just his final ball lets him down somtimes, but i am sure Rovers can work on that.

If i had my choice though i would go for Lennon he excites me more, but sadly i think he will stay at Spurs untill at least January.

Don't be fooled into thinking Pennant is better than he is just because he's playing for Liverpool. If he was such an effective winger, Rafa wouldn't want shot of him in the first place. £6m is far too much for us to gamble on the likes of Pennant.

Don't be fooled into thinking Pennant is better than he is just because he's playing for Liverpool. If he was such an effective winger, Rafa wouldn't want shot of him in the first place. £6m is far too much for us to gamble on the likes of Pennant.

1 word - Warnock.

why dont you try speaking to an anfield season ticket holder. i've spoken to 2 and they both like him as a player, but said he's a confidence player. If he's in the team on a run, he can be a world beater.

i actually think ince would be the perfect motivator for him...

I'd be delighted if we got him.

Were you similarly suspicious of Warnock? Don't assume Rafa knows what he's doing or could recognise talent if it bit him on the jacksy. If Rafa knew what he was doing he'd find his best 11 and play them more often than not.

I think Pennant would be a good signing. He's been a bit sporadic but playing regularly will probably help him. He was very good in the CL final against Milan.

He is as thick as a post though. I remember when he got nicked for drink driving. Steve Bruce came out and said that he'd had a terrible upbringing and could hardly read.

Aside from the fact they're two completely different players you mean? Warnock is a steady defender, and didn't come with any baggage. Rafa just preferred Aurelio because he's better on the ball.

Also, Bentley > Pennant.

So...

Archived