BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pennant

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would prefer Lennon over Pennant. If we can screw Spurs over for a cheap deal, I'll be happy.

Surely that would have happened as part of the Bentley deal if it was ever likely?

Agreed though, Lennon > Pennant.

Do we need to look for a right winger, for me Bert is better than any that we have been linked with.

Seriously? I think some people forget how bad Emerton was as a wide player. He was always full of potential but I think he's well and truly passed the point where he can improve that side of his game...I'd much rather have the solid and hard-working full back/central midfielder we've seen over the past two seasons.

Seriously? I think some people forget how bad Emerton was as a wide player. He was always full of potential but I think he's well and truly passed the point where he can improve that side of his game...I'd much rather have the solid and hard-working full back/central midfielder we've seen over the past two seasons.

Yep.

Why does Ince see a right back as a priority? IMO, Bert's done a great job there for a while now. So we bring in a right back and a right winger, - what are we gonna do with Bert?

Other positions are a far bigger priority as far as I'm concerned. Defensive midfielder, attacking midfield and striker should be the targetted positions. I know we have a number of strikers on the books, but only one of them is up to the job. We don't need a right back.

Yep.

Why does Ince see a right back as a priority? IMO, Bert's done a great job there for a while now. So we bring in a right back and a right winger, - what are we gonna do with Bert?

Other positions are a far bigger priority as far as I'm concerned. Defensive midfielder, attacking midfield and striker should be the targetted positions. I know we have a number of strikers on the books, but only one of them is up to the job. We don't need a right back.

I'm kinda with you there - I do think we have far bigger priorities right now. Having said that, a solid, sound defensive minded right back would be a real plus. I do like Bert mk2, but I do think we could do better and enhance the balance of the team significantly.

Bert mk 3 is the way to go. He was superb in centre mid late last year - he even looked good away to Brum.

Yep.

Maybe a more central mid-field position - i.e. Bert Mk3. I actually thought he was very good when he played there towards the end of last season.

My worry with Emo at right back - he tends - more than once - to be caught out of position. I do think he is under-rated in that position - and was one of the reasons that Bentley did so well. But - I do think the defence would be more solid with a recognised right back.

Yep.

Attacking Midfielder - Carlos Villanueva

Striker - RSC, McCarthy, Derbs,Roberts. All of em are capable of getting goals and thats the only position we don't need to strengthen.

Defensive Midfielder - Definitely, The Axe and Vogel are simply not good enough. Talks of Annan, not seen the guy play so can't judge him.

RW - Another place we MUST strengthen, Bert can't play there, we've seen him try and he's failed miserably. We need a proven Winger, Pennant may be the answer, if not I trust Ince's judgment.

RB - Again we MUST improve this position, a lot of teams targeted Emerton last season as he wasn't the best RB in the business.

Emerton may be used more of a utility player. He can play on RB,RW and Attacking Mid. Interesting to see what Ince does with him.

But RB,RW,DM and maybe another midfielder is essential!

Attacking Midfielder - Carlos Villanueva

Striker - RSC, McCarthy, Derbs,Roberts. All of em are capable of getting goals and thats the only position we don't need to strengthen.

We don't know whether Villanueva is good enough yet. TBH, I'll be surprised if he can come in and hold down a central mid position.

As for the strikers, I'll stand by what i said - only one of them is good enough.

We don't know whether Villanueva is good enough yet. TBH, I'll be surprised if he can come in and hold down a central mid position.

As for the strikers, I'll stand by what i said - only one of them is good enough.

I personally feel Benni will be our best striker next season. Roque wont have the same delivery from the wings. As we all know MGP and Benni play well together and that partnership next season is vital for Rovers. Roque nevertheless may bag at least 10-15 goals and i'm banking on McCarthy to be the 20 goals a season goalscorer this year.

McCarthy will be more focused this season and has stated he wants to end his career at Rovers. He has bags of quality when we saw him in his first season and he had a rubbish season last year but still managed to get into double figures. More concentration this season and he'll be up there in the top-scorers chart.

No need to worry on our strikers. If worst come to worse we always have Robbie :D

In reality I don't think the signing of Pennant needs to be made at all.

Would like to see a quick strike partner for Santa, but the amount we have rule that out.

We would have to sell at least two of them first.

I'm not sure it does. Or atleast it shouldn't. I must admit I was looking forward to seeing who would be this summers Mark Hughes bargain striker.

I'm sure Incey is on Youtube right now scouring for bargains.

It always makes me laugh when people go into the "can't replace him", "he's crap" phase when we need to sign someone.

I remember being one of the few on here who thought Bentley was a good signing when he came on loan and even when bought him many were against it and most were totally unexcited by the prospect. Suddenly a year and a half later he can't be replaced. Those same people who obviously didn't make the right call on the Bentley deal are now willing to hang Ince by a player he hasn't even signed yet. Willing to trust their judgement to be right this time around and that Pennant, a player who has looked great at times in recent seasons and very good in his only real full season when he was at Birmingham, will be totally crap if we sign him.

It always makes me laugh when people go into the "can't replace him", "he's crap" phase when we need to sign someone.

I remember being one of the few on here who thought Bentley was a good signing when he came on loan and even when bought him many were against it and most were totally unexcited by the prospect. Suddenly a year and a half later he can't be replaced. Those same people who obviously didn't make the right call on the Bentley deal are now willing to hang Ince by a player he hasn't even signed yet. Willing to trust their judgement to be right this time around and that Pennant, a player who has looked great at times in recent seasons and very good in his only real full season when he was at Birmingham, will be totally crap if we sign him.

I purely mean that we need to strengthen other areas.

I think Bert will be fine.

I also personally don't like Pennant.

I'd have thought Pennant would be worth a punt at up to 4m.

So do I Rev but not above that

Don't know about anybody else though, but in all my years watching Rovers no matter who has been the manager (and I have posted this before), but for whatever reason we appear to be unable to excel at any other formation than 442 - yes we can adopt now and again and maybe during a match but in terms of effectiveness Rovers and wingers has always gone together , and imo is the best way to play football.

Not sure where Ince will go with his tendencies but I feel this is where our strengths lie and a right winger of the Pennant mould ( pretty tricky and has pace with his only doubt being his attitude and crossing ability) is exactly what we need as , especially to get the best out of Santa.

An in form MGP would also add great benefit, with the new 'red hot chile' hopefully contributing as well.

A better season from Benni, a 'fit' Dunn and BERT MKII who certainly adds drive and pace and the skll to to unlock defences (if only he could figure it out) certainly has the potential to be a very good offense.

I'm not a fan of Pennant and would rather look elsewhere but he looks like he might be our most likely target for the right winger position.

So what do people feel is a good price for him if Ince decides he wants him as Bentley's replacement? If you read the papers the price seems to range from £4 million to £7 million.

I think if we end up paying £6-7 million we have been ripped off.

It's hard to put a price on Pennant, he hasn't been terrible at Liverpool so it's hard to see how has value will have dropped much from the £6.5-ish million they paid for him. Crouch has had similar playing time to Pennant at Liverpool and his value increased, although I suppose being a regular England international helped do that.

I think I'd be happy with £4-4.5 million, maybe rising to the £6 million Liverpool want with performance based add-ons (such as us qualifying for Europe, Pennant receiving an England call up).

Don't you realise that Rovers' forte is doing stupid deals? A La Bentley sell on clause.....

Presumably the option from Arsenal at the time being 'Give us 5mill OR give us half a mill with add ons and accept the sell-on clause........... or you simply cannot have him'. So bearing that in mind should we have simply walked away from Bentley 3 years ago Marky?

Presumably the option from Arsenal at the time being 'Give us 5mill OR give us half a mill with add ons and accept the sell-on clause........... or you simply cannot have him'. So bearing that in mind should we have simply walked away from Bentley 3 years ago Marky?

Arsenal don't have a record of asking for that sort of money for 'failed' youngsters though, I sincerely doubt the real scenario was even close to that. Even players like Pennant and Upson, who both cost Arsenal money to buy and had greater reputations than Bentley did at the time, left for a lot less than £5 million.

With the way funding was last season, I suspect we did it to save ourselves £1 million or so. There's no way Arsenal would ask £5 million for someone who'd only had a failed loan spell at Norwich and a less-than-impressive 6 months with ourselves. Bentley's situation at the time is probably best compared with Aliadiere...both considered highly talented but were nowhere near the first team and had failed everywhere they'd been on loan.

Dead right at the time it was a great deal, who else could we have got for 750K down payment - no one. Bentley came through the ranks and I'm sure I have read that the only reason he left was because he flet he was ready for the 1st team and wenger did not. Wenger a shrewd man he must have known there was a serious chance that Bentley would blossom and the sell on's that he insists on have proved him correct, however I doubt either us or Wenger ever thought at the time Bentley would become a 17M man.

I know its been written that Pool require the cash for Pennant, but maybe we could sort out some sort of deal along the lines of Bentley with a negligible down payment? We seem to be the only team interested.

That however does not change my view that I think we can do better than him.

Archived