BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Expectations For The Coming Season

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The south american is a big big risk, hes small, not very fast and doesnt speak English and prefered Spain over England in his prefered destination.

How do you know he preferred Spain? I never heard that...I only know a deal to Real Sociedad broke down. Did he say that in an interview?

Also...we should remember that every signing is a risk to some extent. Players from abroad more so (hence the higher fees for English players/players with Premiership experience) and those from different continents even more so still...Cruz was also a gamble but slightly less than Villanueva due to having been in Europe for years as well as having top-flight experience in Germany. Bayern Munich is a different ball game from a Chilean side.

It really is too early to say. If ince is at all contemplating swapping Warnock for Duff then I will be very worried. Friedel going had to happen and Robinson is an excellent keeper when on form and Ewood is the ideal place to rehabilitate careers...just ask David Bentley. Then again his future is another riddle.

If I had to guess right now I would say about 12th or so...I think another top half finish is going to be too much but without European distractions we should have more than enough to be clear of the relegation pack. With Ince still be such a learner when it comes to management I do expect inconsistency and many ups + downs. A good cup run would be nice.

INCE STILL HASNT ATTRACTED A TOP QUALITY CENTRAL MIDFIELDER, how you reach that conclusion the mind boggles.

What's Villanueva then?

Look at Nico's list of what the other EPL clubs still haven't signed and Rovers look pretty OK by comparison.

I'll say 7th now, 12th if either Bents or RSC go and 15th if both go.

Irrespective of whom we bring in.

The only thing I'd like to correct is that it is not UEFA cup that's going to let us keep our players. Only the CL would do that. The difference between 5th and 17th is not that dramatic. But of course, the dealings this summer have made such goals impossible. We'll probably finish a boring 11th and fade into mediocrity.

The difference between 5th and 17th is not that dramatic.

Actually, I would slightly disagree with you. The difference equates to more than £6.5m in EPL prize money alone.. ;)

Too early to 'call' league positions - I'll wait for a few more weeks.

top 12 at this point. its really hard to say, but im sure that even if we lost brad (very very well replaced), bentley and warnock, and dont buy in replacements other than the chile kid and robbo, we will have absollutely no fear of relegation. lose rocky aswell and we will probably drop a little more but i dont think there is a chance of relegation. remember we have hull and stoke in the leage!

im sure rocky stays for now. so does warnock, but bentley could leave, althought at this stage i dont see it happening. so with the squad intact, with robinson and villanueva in, why wont we push for europe? if we get a pair of extra guys on top of that, then im very positive.

Surely this is far, far too early. I couldn't even come close to having expectations without knowing the fate of Bentley and Santa Cruz, not to mention who we might sign (it's obvious there are going to be a few coming in).

Maybe

OK. Opinions for now and then we'll add the poll just before the start of the season.

Can I remind people that there is a big difference between central midfield and a second striker.

Villaneuva is a forward, a No. 10. NOT a central midfielder.

Apparently, he was tried on the left wing but was not effective due to a lack of defensive strength and pace.

A bit too early to call, as we're nearly into the second month of the transfer window, and we've lost and signed a keeper, and have a couple of players on trial (Villaneuva and Fowler).

Hoping that the team gets among the top half with a flirtation, and hopefully more than that, with the UEFA Cup / Europa League Cup (or whatever it's going to be called) places as that's where we need to be on a consistent basis. Ince's teams, albeit at a lower league, seem to perform very well. From staving off relegation from the Football League, to winning a trophy and the division, if Ince can bring his winning mentality and gets the squad to gel to his way of management I think we'll do ok.

i think if things stay pretty similar with just a fewn more signings i think easily between 8th and 11th because tbh for the quality of bentley spurs are paying way over the top money and i dont think he'll make much of a difference especially with carlos coming in

Just to stir it up a bit...........

Higher than Mark Hughes achieved in his first season.

MH took over a team that would probably have been relegated had the previous manager stayed.

Ince is taking over a club that just finished 7th.

Archived