BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derbyshire/ Gallagher/ Rigters/ Fowler/ Roberts

Lets have a thread dedicated to this lot as they are starting to clog up the Nicko thread which the mods dont want B)

Personally I feel that:

Gallagher has been given long enough to prove himself and hasnt so should go.

Rigters - hasnt had much of a chance yet, maybe 6 months on loan would give us a better inidication

Fowler - Has always got goals and therefore should be given a performance based contract. What is there to lose with that?

Derbyshire - Good talent, potential for the future, but not ready yet. Needs to get regular football to improve - not sure if he will get the relevant time at our club yet, maybe a loan with a recall option? At the moment he is 4th choice, maybe the sale of Roberts would help matters??

Fowler - Has always got goals and therefore should be given a performance based contract. What is there to lose with that?

If that were the case, then financially there would not be much to lose.

But every time he plays a minute on the field instead of a developing Derbyshire, we lose out. Every time he comes on when we need a goal in place of any other striker, we lose out...because he'll be useless. He's been useless for the best part of a decade, I see no logical reason how that will change when he's 33 and coming off the back of a poor, injury-ridden season in a lower league.

Lets have a thread dedicated to this lot as they are starting to clog up the Nicko thread which the mods don't want B)

Personally I feel that:

Rigters - hasnt had much of a chance yet, maybe 6 months on loan would give us a better indication

Derbyshire - Good talent, potential for the future, but not ready yet. Needs to get regular football to improve - not sure if he will get the relevant time at our club yet, maybe a loan with a recall option? At the moment he is 4th choice, maybe the sale of Roberts would help matters??

Ooohhhhhh don't post this - look - we'll be getting 1.2m for Gally £500,000 for Rigters, I'll have to say Fowler is worth a chance or people will get upset with me (I think I've got this one - we give him a 5 year performance based contract that isn't a contract really -is it? and sell him to Villa in four years for £1.2 million!). Derbyshire is no good anyway because he not got all the qualities Messi has.

Now the other thing that will cause consternation is you've obviously anticipated the pre season sale of Roque and Benni. In this heat thats message boared suicide. :lol:

Seriously though - good idea mate!

But every time he plays a minute on the field instead of a developing Derbyshire, we lose out. Every time he comes on when we need a goal in place of any other striker, we lose out...because he'll be useless. He's been useless for the best part of a decade, I see no logical reason how that will change when he's 33 and coming off the back of a poor, injury-ridden season in a lower league.

Couldn't agree more!!

Gally sell him get some cash, chuck in a sell-on just in case.

Rigters prior to the championships his goalscoring record was abysmal, still is I would send him on loan to the champ for one year to see if he can get back to that level

Fowler by the sounds on this message board Ince could do with a friend at the club! :lol:

Derbs needs games should be second only to RSC and Benni, has looked good in flashes does well at U21's needs a run to see if he can do it week in week out.

Lets have a thread dedicated to this lot as they are starting to clog up the Nicko thread which the mods dont want B)

Personally I feel that:

Rigters - hasnt had much of a chance yet, maybe 6 months on loan would give us a better inidication

What happened to Roberts? :huh:

IMO get rid of Gally and Rigters, Fowler on a pay as you play deal is OK, Matty does well too as an impact sub.

Roberts we should keep unless we get a stupid offer for him and can get in a better replacement for the same money or less.

What happened to Roberts? :huh:

IMO get rid of Gally and Rigters, Fowler on a pay as you play deal is OK, Matty does well too as an impact sub.

Roberts we should keep unless we get a stupid offer for him and can get in a better replacement for the same money or less.

Oh no - that would make Fowler 7th choice striker!

Fowler does not need a trial. We have all seen enough over the last five years to reject him out of hand. A more obvious 'jobs for the boys' scenario I have never seen (imo).

I know that it's only £15K a week but any money paid to Fowler is in my opinion poured down the drain.

Thought i would move this response from Nicko's thread to this one as its discussing our striking options.

Derbyshire 1) cannot beat a man 2) has only average pace 3) isn't physically strong enough 4) can't play with his back to goal 5) is a poor header of a ball etc etc etc

Derbs doesn't have electric pace however he is no slouch either, plus he has that ability to move in behind the defenders or in and around the box.

Physically strong, I think you may have a point but that could be worked on. Look at Bentley now for example in comparison to when he joined he looks a lot stronger. Not sure Strength needs to be a serious attribute with the type of striker Derbs is.

About him not being able to play his back to goal well not sure that’s relevant as he is not that type of striker. Derbs is all about movement and being able to make intelligent runs in order to get a goal scoring opportunity.

Poor header of the ball you may have a point but again he isn't a target man, he is an on the ground striker.

And Jim i won't respond to the personal insult in your post, all i can say is grow the hell up and accept that people may have a different opinion than you.

Derbyshire - Great off the bench. Keep.

Fowler - I'd get rid, but a short term deal on pay-per-play deal might be ok

Gallagher - Sell. I love his technique but he's had enough chances. I'm fed up of waiting.

Roberts is a poor man's Drogba.

Rigters is a poor man's Roberts - and there isn't anyone bad enough to be a poor man's Rigters.

We will persevere with Fowler to prove that he can still cut it.

We persevered with Jeffers to prove that he could still cut it.

We persevered with Bothroyd to prove that he's got Serie A class.

We persevered with Nonda to prove that he could recapture his pre-injury form.

Why the heck don't we persevere with some of our young guys to prove that they can develop and cut it? Oh, I know why, because young players are expected to make an immediately astonishing impact and new signings get all the time in the world to learn to trap a ball with Premier League starts.

Fowler does not need a trial. We have all seen enough over the last five years to reject him out of hand. A more obvious 'jobs for the boys' scenario I have never seen (imo).

I know that it's only £15K a week but any money paid to Fowler is in my opinion poured down the drain.

Gotta agree with this - even with 7 subs next season - I would prefer to keep the 15k in the bank. Even over a 6 month "trial" we are looking at £390k.

Now the other thing that will cause consternation is you've obviously anticipated the pre season sale of Roque and Benni. In this heat thats message boared suicide. :lol:

Seriously though - good idea mate!

No i just wanted the topic to be about the fringe/ squad forwards. We should keep RSC & Benni. Roberts should be allowed to leave but only for good money of about £4m+

Roberts is a poor man's Drogba.

:lol:

I like Roberts for some reason, scores the odd goal and runs around like a madman. Keep.

Gally, should sell but you never know under a new manager he could be good, if he fails under INce bye bye.

Derbs definite keep.

Fowler if his wages are cheap and we have a goal bonus on him he may make a great impact player.

Why the heck don't we persevere with some of our young guys to prove that they can develop and cut it? Oh, I know why, because young players are expected to make an immediately astonishing impact and new signings get all the time in the world to learn to trap a ball with Premier League starts.

It is true...I remember Derbyshire being completely written off for good by some on this board after his first start in a Uefa Cup game.

I think he would benefit from a loan at a Chamionship side. Although he went on loan to Plymouth he was swiftly recalled after a managerial change. So far his only really consistent game time was when on loan for Wrexham. Let us see what he can do higher up the tables...

To be honest I doubt if he has really got what it takes to be a top Premiership striker but let us at least see what he can do - consistently - at a higher level than Wrexham.

Matty has scored 14 goals for us in 58 appearances including a couple of match winners last year against Middlesbrough and NUFC.He has shone well in times and not so well at other times.This is a young professional still learning his trade and consistency.I would be willing to go out on a limb and say he is going to be a good competent player for rovers who will give his all every time he is on the pitch.Heart and desire are intangible that stats cannot measure and I believe he has these in spades.

Perhaps Rigters/Derbyshire could be loaned to Hull, Wigan or a better championship team until Christmas in order to get momentum and playing time. Then we can see how good they are.

Fowler is probably finished, and Gallagher never started. Roberts is dodgy in my opinion, but I don't know if there are better options out there at the mo.

You may soon have to extend this thread for Santa Cruz who Ince may replace with Kevin Davies of Bolton Wanderers.

Best not. If not soon you can include your list with ince. :lol:

But come to think of it. We got so many strikers???

Gally isnt good enough.

Rigters hasnt been given a chance but he is 25ish now.

Fowler, as long as he isnt given a starting place out of love by Ince then not much of harm to have him around.

Derbyshire will never be a starting XI player who can lead the line.

What I can't understand is the negativity towards Derbyshire when he has not been given a worthwhile chance

Played out of position many a time and not given a consistent run in the team - yet his goalscoring record is very good when played up front.

IMO he has already shown he has a knack for being in the right place and is certainly a good finisher

I think that Derbyshire is an important member of our squad. I don't think that he is better than the likes of Roque, McCarthy or Roberts, but still gives us a good option off the bench and is always likely to score some vital goals. I don't think that he should be loaned out. Every team should have at least four strikers and Matty is one of those. As for Fowler, we shouldn't bother because he is long past it. He may grab us the odd goal here or there, but I don't think that it justifies getting in the way of some of the younger players development. Ritgers could benefit from going out on loan. He hasn't really had a chance and when he has played he hasn't really impressed. Some regular football in the Championship could do him the world of good. Gallagher has shown that he doesn't quite have what it takes to make it in the Premiership. He could be used as a squad player, but I think it would only be fair if he were allowed to leave for a Championship team, where he could do very well.

I think that we would benefit from another striker being added to the team. We have a real absence of pace in our team and if Ince could identify someone who could solve this problem and score some goals as well, then we would really improve.

I think that Derbyshire is an important member of our squad. I don't think that he is better than the likes of Roque, McCarthy or Roberts, but still gives us a good option off the bench and is always likely to score some vital goals. I don't think that he should be loaned out. Every team should have at least four strikers and Matty is one of those. As for Fowler, we shouldn't bother because he is long past it. He may grab us the odd goal here or there, but I don't think that it justifies getting in the way of some of the younger players development. Ritgers could benefit from going out on loan. He hasn't really had a chance and when he has played he hasn't really impressed. Some regular football in the Championship could do him the world of good. Gallagher has shown that he doesn't quite have what it takes to make it in the Premiership. He could be used as a squad player, but I think it would only be fair if he were allowed to leave for a Championship team, where he could do very well.

I think that we would benefit from another striker being added to the team. We have a real absence of pace in our team and if Ince could identify someone who could solve this problem and score some goals as well, then we would really improve.

If Gally had anything about him he would have gone - Joe Garner did and just got a £1m move, it's his own fault - I think Stoke wanted him and he wouldn't go. Sad but he's the oldest promising youth player ever. Time to go.

Archived