BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I've just recently become a "convert" to FIFA after a couple of very dissappointing showings by PES. My expectations aren't very high for the new version but I hope I'm wrong. Fundamentally they should be looking at getting all the clubs licenced and they should go back to Pro Evo 5 and look at everything that made it such a fine game and polish it until it's just right. In my opinion, even if they produced a fully licenced, graphically upgraded version of Evo 5 and just tweaked it, it would beat anything the FIFA team could produce.

FIFA is getting good now so this will be a test to see how well they can compete. When you compare FIFA 08 and the latest pro evo, FIFA has it's nose in front (even though for me it's still flawed). Historically FIFA has never come close for me. After playing FIFA for the last 3 months now it still doesn't give me the same buzz as scoring on PES.

And for god's sake sort out the graphics!!!!!! The 360/PS3 are next gen consoles for crying out loud.

It's PES all the way for me, tried a few FIFA's now and again but just can't get on with the gameplay.

Other than the online play which is glitchy I was quite happy with 08, having said that though there is still a massive scope for improvement.

Can't wait!

If anyone ever wants a game on the PS3 of PES2008 then my PSN name is DeadlyDirk23

• 2 weeks later...

Some more details:-

Gameplay:

Close control more intuitive:

• Manual cursor control

• Adjusted trick control for easier control – more within natural control parameters than via special movements

Ball movement more realistic:

• Ball has always been treated as separate entity, but 2009 has new air resistance calculations for trajectory of ball

• Instant control. Buttons presses are no longer stored, making for a crisper playing style

• Heavier foot-in tackles, depending on the length X is depressed

• New friction routines to affect ball movement in terms of ground conditions

• Backspin routines calculated so ball slows accordingly

• The bounce of the ball can be used more effectively: players can flick the ball up to tee a shot, or to lift it over a defender’s trailing leg

• Skills are now integrated more into the game. If a player has the ability, they will be able to perform deft turns others cannot and will be able to feint and shimmy within the confines of the control system

• Player has to compensate for heaviness of ground when weighting passes in wet conditions or frozen ground

Teamvision enhanced:

• Tactics change according to situation

• Better off-the-ball movement – running to receive passes, etc

• AI recognizes strategies that work and accumulates data on an ongoing basis within Master League and League modes

Visuals:

Stadiums:

• Graphic depiction of weather conditions unique to each stadium

• Much more detailed lighting effects that mimic the time of day more closely

• Key new grounds like Wembley, in total about 20 stadiums

• LED Boardings (PS3 and 360 versions only)

Players:

• All new players models in game: everything reworked for additional detail

• Specific new animations to make the game flow more: players now stumble, place a hand down so as to keep running

• More individuality to movement of players: running and kicking styles, for instance: Ronaldo’s stance before a free kick

Camera:

• New vertical camera, allowing end-to-end view including ‘Player Focus’ zoom, panning in on key one-on-one situations

• New distance drawing techniques using adjusted chromatic fields

Front End - Menus:

• All new, clearer menu system

• Match stats now on sub-menus if required

• Much improved music choice

Edit:

Sound:

• In addition to the importation of graphic data, music and crowd chants can also be added

Graphics:

• Pixel Paint function allows users to create team badges from scratch

Game Modes:

Become a Legend:

• New long-term mode sees player guiding one player to glory

• Control the destiny of a midfield/striking star

• Player works within team structure, akin to popular ‘Fix’ mode – assisting play, scoring goals, etc

• Default vertical view

• Dedicated development data for player as game progresses

• Full range of transfer opportunities: but fail to play well and you will be demoted to bench or even transferred

• Based on popular Japanese mode, first time in Europe

Legends:

• Online version of ‘Become a Legend’

• Use player created in solo mode

• Play online with other ‘fixed’ position friends

• Intricate play and teamwork rewarded with PES points

• Upload finest moments for others to view and rate

Master League

• More intuitive menus

• Easier to understand two-tier negotiations: team level and individual terms

• Loyalty: players unhappy with terms, etc, will not play as well. A happy player will play better.

• Skills are now integrated more into the game. If a player has the ability, they will be able to perform deft turns others cannot and will be able to feint and shimmy within the confines of the control system

I'm not sure I like the sound of that, I hate it when they make it easier to dribble through a defence.

That sounds good. I see they decided to copy Fifa with the Be A Pro feature.

Fifa did nick the entire control system from PES so it's only fair. Was it triangle you used to have to bash relentlessly to sprint? Madness.

Like you, I can't stand the arcadey feel of Fifa, I much prefer the realism of PES. I get bored of Fifa so easily because it just doesn't feel 'right'.

Guest Kamy100

So long as they get rid of the slowdown and make sure online works properly then I will be a happy man.

Lots of information coming next week as the Leipzig game show starts on Wednesday and PES will be playable there so expect lots of videos. Also THIS site is an excellent source of PES information.

That sounds good. I see they decided to copy Fifa with the Be A Pro feature.

I like that feature, but the gameplay is so much more realistic and reactive on PES, I simply couldn't play Fifa. So I'm glad they nicked it.

Not sure if they did to be honest,

'Become A Legend' has been in the Japanese versions of PES since 2007, only now have they decided to incorporate it into the european version.

When did Fifa start doing Become A Pro? I haven't played a FIFA game for a while apart from a quick go on the Euro 2008 game which obviously has it.

Not sure if they did to be honest,

'Become A Legend' has been in the Japanese versions of PES since 2007, only now have they decided to incorporate it into the european version.

When did Fifa start doing Become A Pro? I haven't played a FIFA game for a while apart from a quick go on the Euro 2008 game which obviously has it.

Fifa started Be a Pro last year however, Pro Evo have had the behind the player cam since the PS2 games (although it was just a camera setting and nothing to do with the game)

• 4 weeks later...

**IF** you can edit the crowd chants I found this site below which has loads of songs on - I haven't listened to any yet cos I'm at work :P but let me know if they are decent.

http://www.fanchants.com/football-team/blackburn_rovers/

Haven't heard of some of the Rovers songs - guess that makes me an Armchair :huh:

"No nay never?" ;)

Konami have secured a 4 year deal which will see the Champions League officially licensed in PES. PES 2009 will have a champions league mode, all the kits etc will be authentic in this mode, also the 2 premier league teams that are licensed this year are Liverpool and Man United, below is a new video launching the new mode:

Champions League Mode Trailer

People who have played the game have said that it is much better than PES2008, graphically it can't compete with FIFA but gameplay has been tightened up (it plays like PES5) and online is working properly.

• 2 weeks later...
Rumours flying around that the demo was coming out today but it's not to be.

This may sound anal but I hope they sort the nets out in 2009 - I used to love smashing a goal in and the ball bouncing right back out. In 2008 it just feels naff.

Just watched a video on Youtube and the ball came pinging out so I guess you are sorted.

The ball looks heavier and moves more realistically. The ball physics are a big thing for me so hopefully it isn't too heavy touch.

PES2009 demo out now on Xbox Live and PSN.

:tu:

Will download when I get in tonight - very excited about this hope it's not a letdown. If it is I will probably buy FIFA instead even though the gameplay isn't as good (can't afford both yet). I believe it's got a multiplayer option in the demo? Hopefully that means it's been fixed since the god awful last version or surely they wouldn't showcase it.

COME ON EVO YOU CAN DO IT!

Okay...first impressions. Having never played the PC version before I'm not sure how much it usually differs from the PS2 version, but if the consoles versions are anything like that I'll be mightily impressed. The graphics/player movement is an immense improvement, it doesn't feel as linear as the old versions. A few things I've noticed from playing 3 games:

- Player movement off-the-ball has improved, making games flow much better and making attacks more pleasing.

- Goalkeepeer reactions have improved, it used to take an age for them to get off their arse after saving a shot...but a few times my keeper got up off the ground to pounce on a shot he'd spilt before the striker could get to it.

- As mentioned, everything feels more 'free', and players don't feel as constricted to the 8-points of direction (even though they obviously are, but the movements are as severe).

- The menus/music aren't annoying as hell like last time

THEY FIXED THE FANS!!

Proper fans for once, finally.

Yeah, this is gonna be a hard game to score in. It is much slower than PES07 but not on the Fifa scale. Scoring a goal now gives you one of the old "PES-highs" instead of a Fifa esque "Oh I scored..." feeling.

I'm impressed. If they get Rovers accurate and online is good, it'll be the best yet in my opinion.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the ball physics are better. It does feel like you are playing on foot high grass sometimes though.

liking it so far! took me a while to download mind! i remember the sheer disappointment i felt when i put pes 08 in and all that slowdown! thank god its gone! become a legend looks class as wel! altho its quite annoyin having to watch it every time!

Good news indeed chaps.

My download was on 65% this morning when I left so hopefully I'll be able to play it when I get back. I had a few games of FIFA 09 demo yesterday and lets face it it's a damn good footy game. However, if PES lives up to it's potential (which it sounds like it will) then it's goodbye FIFA and hello PES bliss once more!

Being it on. :D

Archived