SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kamy100

I am really liking the demo.

It is a completely different experience to that of FIFA but nonetheless a positive one.

First things it is much better than 2008, they have got rid of all the bugs and slowed down the gameplay, like I said earlier it is now much closer to the award winning gameplay of PES5. The graphics have also improved from PES2008, they are no where near FIFA 09. PES has never been about graphics, licences or any other gimmick, it has always been about rock solid gameplay which really excels when playing with a friend or playing online. Last year they lost those 2 important elements but this year they have got that old magic back.

Don't get me wrong FIFA 09 is an immense game and deserves all the plaudits but it just can't recreate that feeling of scrambling home a late winner after battling out with a friend which PES can.

Two good footy games this year each is good because it has different positives and negatives.

Don't get me wrong FIFA 09 is an immense game and deserves all the plaudits but it just can't recreate that feeling of scrambling home a late winner after battling out with a friend which PES can.

What is so good about it? What is different to scoring a last minute winner in this compared to fifa?

Guest Kamy100

It is hard to explain but FOR ME Pro Evo in terms of gameplay has always had that which FIFA has not been able to match, although like I said before FIFA 09 is a superb game. Both games in my opinion are better for different reasons.

In the past it was a case of owning either Pro Evo or FIFA. Personally I was a Pro Evo man but in the last few years FIFA has gradually clawed its way back into a position of challenging Pro Evo which is great for fans of gaming and football because it means we're probably going to start enjoying both. FIFA 08 was a great game and although many people have slated the last PES, I felt it was still a great game to play and was still slightly better than FIFA. I just hope FIFA09 and PES09 have both taken that extra step forward to being the complete game!

PES - Jury is still out yet, demo is ok, but not great.

Fifa - Got the game and its much improved. Much more features added in, alot more realistic in terms of challenges, headers, shooting, fouls etc. Also the keepers are much more useful, and can quite easily give away penalties too when your attacking.

I downloaded the FIFA demo last night as well, I can't agree that it's better. There's something just not right about it...the only thing I can pinpoint is the feeling of being in complete control of that first-touch...the reaction time from pad-to-player is quite poor on FIFA. That's not just it though, there are other things that just don't feel 'right'.

Guest Kamy100

Yeah the button lag (response time between pressing button and it registering on screen) was there in FIFA 08 and it remains in FIFA 09 but has improved a little. There are a few issues with FIFA 09 but generally speaking it plays really well.

PES - Jury is still out yet, demo is ok, but not great.

Fifa - Got the game and its much improved. Much more features added in, alot more realistic in terms of challenges, headers, shooting, fouls etc. Also the keepers are much more useful, and can quite easily give away penalties too when your attacking.

I downloaded the FIFA demo last night as well, I can't agree that it's better. There's something just not right about it...the only thing I can pinpoint is the feeling of being in complete control of that first-touch...the reaction time from pad-to-player is quite poor on FIFA. That's not just it though, there are other things that just don't feel 'right'.

Have to agree with Le Chuck. Hate the way Fifa has to "go through the motions" before you are actually in control. Another example of this is when your player runs towards a lobbed pass. Even if you hold sprint button its like he is in slow motion....

Also someone else described the Fifa feeling of scoring a goal as "oh I scored a goal" - sorta ditached feelin g you get.

In the old days atleast, when scoring in PES you had a feeling that it was actually you. Sounds weird I know....

That being said - I really hope both FIFA and PES has taken strides from last years crappy games

I'll be honest. Fifa is good. better than I expected. I think it just about equals PES. We'll see when PES comes out. I think, finally, we have a generation when BOTH games are good games and without major flaws.

Also, I agree with what you people are saying about the slow reaction rate. PES is more realistic in that it is more "real time", it doesn't take longer than a split second to react in real life, but Fifa it takes an age.

But it's better than the last. Both are good. I might just get both.

Early on I used to only play the Fifa games, loved the first Fifa International Soccer on the megadrive and then when Konami started releasing the Pro Evo games I found myself getting both.

For about the last 5 years or so though I've always preferred Pro.

Downloaded both of this years demo's and while Fifa definitely has improved over the years it still seems to be missing something for me, sure the graphics are better, the licensing is better but then it always has been and all I really care about is gameplay. (One of the reasons I used to love Sensible Soccer so much!)

I'm sure the new Pro will take me a bit of getting used to but after playing the demo a few times I really like it. They have slowed it down a touch which is good, Fifa for me, while I know others disagree, just seems a little slow and less free flowing.

In pro they do seem to move a lot better of the ball this year, you have to really work the chances and goals can come from anywhere. Fifa for me still feels slightly more constrained in terms of gameplay. There seems to be a lot more skill involved when it comes to winning in Pro and you get more of a feeling of accomplishment which others have also mentioned.

Can't wait for the full release, in the meantime I'm going to rent Fifa to give it a decent chance of me getting into it.

All in all I think it comes down to your own personal taste and opinion, for me Pro has always been better, for others its completley the opposite.

So far so good though, thumbs up for Pro2009

- Goalkeepeer reactions have improved, it used to take an age for them to get off their arse after saving a shot...but a few times my keeper got up off the ground to pounce on a shot he'd spilt before the striker could get to it.

Have you noticed a problem when the goalkeeper (on their own volition) comes out of his box and kicks the ball away (usually poorly) when it would be better to wait for it to go into the box and pick it up?

Anyway, it's a pretty good game and I've stuck by Pro Evo since number two, but hopefully the online experience is vastly improved this time (mainly relating to lag). That is the feature which lets me get the most out of a game. I usually play in an online league, but for 2008 I didn't play in it once, and participation in the league dropped significantly.

Had a blast on the demo - very very happy that they have sorted out the frame rate problems. The game does play well and through balls are working great again (which they always did better than FIFA to be fair) I also think the player models/faces look better than their fifa ones too.

Already have FIFA but think I will be picking this up too (maybe after xmas though)

ok wel having enjoyed fifa for a bit on my flatmates copy, im just gonna buy pro evo now, fifa just irritates the hell outta me now, the more i play it the more i dislike it, everything seems like predetermined, i dunno how to explain it really, just dont feel as in control of the players as ya do on pes

Guest Kamy100

Register to Play PES2009 Online

Gone are the registration codes of previous years, and in comes the Konami ID.

A Konami ID is your own unique ID which allows you to use online services in games such as PES and MGS. Registering a Konami ID is free of charge:

https://id.konami.net/quick/input.jsp

Without a Konami ID, you won't be able to play PES online on the PC or PS3 when the game comes out, so register now and keep your details safe, and when the game comes out you'll already be registered and be able to play your friends around the world straight away!

If you've already registered a Konami ID for Metal Gear Solid then you don't have to register again as the same login details will work.

360 users are unaffected by this.

Has anyone stumbled across the new quick free-kick feature? The old one was horrible, the screen would 'flash' before the kick was taken and suddenly there would be loads more players back in defence, rendering the feature pretty useless.

This time the player literally just gets up and takes the kick without the screening flashing or anything, so it seems like it could be a good weapon this time if you're on a counter attack or something. The only problem is I'm not sure how I did it. I think I was repeatedly pressing or holding short-pass (X on my Playstation pad) when it happened. I tried to get it going again but never got fouled.

Okay, I've worked out how to do it (can't edit my original post for some reason).

Just keep pressing X/pass if you want it to happen immediately after you've been fouled, although it won't work if the opposition player is going to get booked. Very useful if you're on a counter attack and want to keep going, I just scored a goal using it when I broke from defence with Ronaldo and he was clipped.

FIFA online is whats so good about the game. One thing that does annoy me about the new FIFA is that they allow you to compete in cup competitions from around Europe but they don't have the World Cup on there. Grr!

Before FIFA09, I was 100% Pro Evo but after so many mixed reviews on the new Pro Evo, I probably won't even get it straight away like I have done since ISS and just concentrate on FIFA for now.

FIFA online is whats so good about the game. One thing that does annoy me about the new FIFA is that they allow you to compete in cup competitions from around Europe but they don't have the World Cup on there. Grr!

Before FIFA09, I was 100% Pro Evo but after so many mixed reviews on the new Pro Evo, I probably won't even get it straight away like I have done since ISS and just concentrate on FIFA for now.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to mixed reviews from a 5 minute demo which isn't even the game at 100%. I'll definitely be giving it a bash, tried renting Fifa but it just isn't the same.

Archived