BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fifa 2009

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you playing FIFA 09 on the PS3 you will need to change your display setting to 720p to get the best out of the demo.

Personally feel that FIFA 09 has is the closet representation of "real football" that there has ever been, the video below shows this:

Ignore me - I downloaded now.

1st impressions - graphics havent really changed much. Gameplay however is much smoother and much more life-like. The passing is much more responsive and its not as predictable. The challenges also need to be timed better too, both in the air and the ground. The new strength feature of the players is good too as some stikers can hold off thier defenders unlike before. I think also that tactics will play a much bigger role in this game in the future.

Im hoping the ref aint as fussy as in the demo either as I get sent off for hardly touching players.

I finally played the demo. They are cheeky so and so's arnt they. What I mean is at the beginning where it doesn't exactly give you a chance to let you pick the difficulty because it tests every red blooded male by asking:-

What setting do you want to pick (and I am only going from memory here so may be a little off)

1. You have never played before and don't know what a football is - this is your first football game

2. You know about football but only take a passing interest

3. You know everything there is to know about football and couldn't possibly lose a game ever (this is the setting that I and I suspect everyone else picked too)

I does feel like a totally different game to me from last year. I have been playing the old one allot lately and having to then play this I just got destroyed. I found it really hard to score and much harder to go past people - these are good things.

The old one goes back to the shop tomorrow ready to pick up the new one when it comes out at the end of the month.

I find it quite easy. Infact out of about 12-14 games iv only lost 1.

Beat Chelsea 3-0 with Real Madrid

Beat AC Milan 2-0 with Marseille.

Im not sure on the game, il try it on the other settings Kamy mentioned as for me the graphics didnt impress and it seemed like a step back.

Cocker - take it back to game and they are offering something daft like £7.

I know it's only a demo but for me it's still nowhere near Pro Evo, just doesn't seem as free flowing and quick for my liking.

Very much looking forward to the new Pro coming out.

I am not sure how you can say that really. The demo I played was more flowing and quicker than any fifa I have played in a long time - it was certainly more flowing than the frame rate mess that was last years PES - I am not sure how anyone could stick up for that - even the developers admited what a mess it was.

Dont get me wrong, I have always been firmly on the PES band wagon but after last year my blinkers were ripped off on what I try to do now is to take the lables off both games and treat them for what they are.

I hope very much that the new PES has been sorted out. What we might get are two really good games that would mean two football games will be sitting in my game rack - many people only pick one but I dont see why? I have more than one first person shooter so why not more than one footy game - hopefully

Agreed Cocker. In my opinion Fifa has been miles ahead of PES for AT LEAST 3 years...

PES is going to have to do something pretty stunning to do one over Fifa this year. I had PES 2008 as well as Fifa 08 earlier this year, but ended up trading it in as so much of the game i hated.

Also the reasons Pro Evo fans gave for prefering it to Fifa for the last couple of years doesnt exist any more.

If you don't like the pace of the Fifa game your playing, i suggest you go into game settings as you can speed up or slow down the game... Just like in real life, you can have a slower passing game and frustrate the opposition or you can have a fast game and run the opposition raggid!

I was quite impressed with it. They have taken steps from the Euro 2008 game and improved I think. The player animations look good and more natural than they have in a while. Passing feels good, even the through pass works. I like the details in the animations like players pointing where they want the ball as they are running forward. Seems you have to be careful in timing your challenges particularly in the air. Go too soon and you're likely to miss the header completely. I also like the tactical "sliders" and what not.

Might pick this up.

Guys if you like the FIFA 09 demo then you are going to love the final version, I was at an event last night where was able to play the final version and the game is much, much better than the demo. It is more fluid, has tons more animations and looks gorgeous. I played as Rovers and they have the abilities of players down to a tee, for example Roberts is very good at holding players off, while Roque is more agile and has superb movement of the ball. Very impressed.

I was also lucky enough to try out PES2009, it was a 85% complete version and am pleased to report that it far better than PES2008. Graphically it looks better, the lighting is superb (best I have ever seen) player models are better than FIFA09 and it plays very well. There is no slowdown or glitches and Konami have gone back to the core gameplay of past versions (plays very much like PES5). It was very hard to score goals and you felt as though you really had to think about what you are doing. The become a legend mode (like FIFA's be a pro) is far superior to FIFA 09's as it is deeper and more customisible. You can import MP3's into the game (music, chants etc) and the edit mode is superb, this year you can take a picture, transfer it to the PS3 hard drive and then make yourself in the game (no need for PSEYE toy this time round). I tried it and it I was blown away by how easy it was and how life like I looked in the game.

So in summary to superb footy games, in a lot of ways they are good for different reasons but I know i'll be playing them both a lot for the next 12 months.

I also got to test out Motorstorm, Little Big Planet and Resistance 2 impressions of them later.

Wow very very jealous indeed. Like I said earlier in the thread - if both games are good I will buy them both. There is no need to just get one. You dont just buy one first person shooter do you?

I am looking forward to your motorstorm and Little Big Planet reviews - more than that though I think that Resistance 2 will be the one. That just looks amazing to me - hopefully you will confirm the same.

No worries will do a write up later today, I have also captured some high def video of all the games so will try and upload that.

Oh and don't worry Resistance 2 is awesome. Motorstorm is much better than the original, but the real show stealer was Little Big Planet.

Mouthwatering post there Kamy - more than like will end up with both.

I said in a previous thread that if Evo can go back to PES5 and produce a next gen version I'll be more than happy. After last years dismal effort for PES I think they needed to take a step back to leap forward if you'll excuse the cliche so Kamy's sneak peek is very encouraging.

From what I've read (both above and on other sites) Evo is gonna edge it for me although the Fifa demo was great. Like cocker says though - why choose between tomato or mustard on your hot dog when you can have both. (that point is lost if you don't like hot dogs but there you go)

Kamy any idea how the Evo data importing (badges, MP3's etc) is gonna work on the 360 (if at all?)

I don't personally like the game, and wont be purchasing it... Fifa all the way for me!!!

2 Pieces of good news on the Fifa 09 front. Was playing it earlier especially trying out some things that 08 didnt have, and managed to a) get my goalkeeper sent off and B) Get my goalkeeper injured!

Also discovered the new injury system, where by if your player pics up a injury, he'll either go to the sideline and hobble back on after the ref allows it, or he will be to badly injured to come back on... Pretty damn nifty!

Do you mean Pro Evo? Have you played the new one?

I will always be a Fifa man.

I always read reviews saying Pro Evo is better then Fifa, then i buy Fifa first anyway (it's always going to be better then Pro Evo) then a couple of months down the line buy Pro Evo to try it out, only to discover it isnt nearly as good as Fifa!

Pro Evo is a consistent letdown and will always be in the shadow of Fifa IMO!

You will be able to import MP3's, badges, logo etc on the 360, however you will have to do it yourself as it is not possible to share option files on the 360. However for the PS3 there will be fully edited option files available pretty much at the launch of the game. If you are buying PES2009 then buy it on the PS3 purely because of the editing etc.

FIFA 09 is also a superb game and I for one will buy and enjoy both.

Archived