BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Names For My Daughter Please

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or name her after teh place she was conceived, eg "Bed"

Bad idea - poor girl - fancy being called Stationary cupboard at work or kitchen table or Knee trembler against the lounge wall

Cockroach fashion stood up under lino.

Amelia is nice.

A friend of mine had the following class mates (from different families) in her school in Durban: Computer, Psychology, Ubhoko (Zulu for Big Stick as that was what it felt like inside of her during pregnancy!!)

When my wife was expecting we had the same dilemna,although i liked the name `rebecca` i was mindful to the fact there is a history of poor eyesight in the wife`s family.If she ended up needing glasses the obvious name calling would have been `specky Becky!`.Therefore we decided on Lauren as it is a good name that can`t be twisted to benefit some low-life bully as she gets older!

I hope everything goes ok with the baby and you let us know what name you have picked!

Very interesting topic! for me.

--- So sorry Plastic Head.

I'm really interesting how do English(speaker) give the name to children.

'cause, I often see "Same first name" people in English.

I still don't meet and see same my first name person (sound and letters both, and fimily name + first name does)!! I think most of Japanese same does.

Hey, Dillo, not seen you around much lately? Things alright with you I hope.

I heard an interesting point about middle names - rarely do people use their middle name, and usually people don't know other people's middle names, so you can make them something interesting without scarring the kid for life.

For some reason my youngest daughter is forever complaining about her middle name which is Margaret. And before you ask, it's my middle name and also the middle name of one of my grand-daughters. Family tradition and all that.

My eldest came off worse. Her middle name is Dora, after my mother-in-law of the time, a fearsome woman whom I was trying to get round. Didn't work and my daughter has never forgiven me :D

Just like to echo most of the sensible posts on here.

Don't go for "pop star" names - "Kylie," "Britney," "Byonce" are all plastic and time-limited.

Similarly don't go with something like "Chardonnay." Or go along the famous idiots like Geldorf, Beckham and some other "Hello" magazine specials.

In 20 years time your daughter is going to be applying for a place at Uni or a job and some daft name will not help.

The old girls names such as "Doris" or "Hilda" have had their day unless you use them as a second name to note an ancestor (as we did, calling the daughter "May" after a great aunt. But it's nice, simple, lovely, name.)

We settled on our daughter's name because we just felt comfortable with it. It wasn't contrived, it just felt good. She'll be able to live with it OK.

A friend of mine's daughter is called "April." I really like that.

Hello Dillo, keep in touch

There's a geezer in Zimbabwe called Handbag Mbwauene. Maybe i've spelt his surname wrong, but you get the idea.

They take English words they like teh sound of and give them as first names. There's one bloke called "Phosphate".

True.

Met a girl in China who took the "Western name" of Sharp because she liked the word.

They have some interesting ones at times because they pick it themselves when they start to work with western companies.

When my daughter was born, We didnt have a name.My then girlfriend wanted to call her Charlie.I wasnt to keen.

Then when she was born she looked like a Charlie.

So we chose that.

Her middle Name is Josie(after my nana).

But i call her Charlie Chucklebum.And i so can not wait till she brings her first boyfriend home!.

When my daughter was born, We didnt have a name.My then girlfriend wanted to call her Charlie.I wasnt to keen.

Then when she was born she looked like a Charlie.

So we chose that.

Her middle Name is Josie(after my nana).

But i call her Charlie Chucklebum.And i so can not wait till she brings her first boyfriend home!.

:lol:

My daughter is called Lauren but we nicknamed her Flossy,as a babe her hair was a wild mop of blonde hair like a candy floss so hence the nickname.She is 9yrs old now and at the age where she likes to show off when she is with her friends,i let her go so far then i start calling her Flossy which she hates.Thankfully it brings her back down to earth a bit!

Just out of interest does anybody else have nicknames for their kids,if so what are they and why?

Can it be that nobody's suggested Nicko yet?

OT again (not a good method for choosing a daughter's name): a fella I used to work with was short of ideas for his son's middle name so decided whoever next scored for Wolves gets the honour. Lucky lucky kid - it was Steve Sedgeley, not Timuri Ketsbaia as I was hoping.

I heard an interesting point about middle names - rarely do people use their middle name, and usually people don't know other people's middle names, so you can make them something interesting without scarring the kid for life.

I know a lot of people that go by their middle names, but you don't find out for ages because as far as your concerned that's just their name!

I've no middle name and I'm perfectly happy not to have one!

I can also see why people might want to give a middle name as a backup name and the person can decide when the time comes as to which they want to be known by. Or if there's a family name it's nice to continue it.

In any event, also in my experience, girls seem to hate their names. So regardless of what you call the little lady she's not going to be happy with you about it!

Archived