BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fowler Out Now !

JAL

And the former MK Dons boss has hinted veteran striker Robbie Fowler will be offered a deal at Ewood Park.

The former Liverpool and Leeds striker is currently training with Rovers after rejecting a new contract at Cardiff City.

"Robbie is okay. He's fit but he just needs to get his sharpness and I've told him that," Ince continued. "He will always score goals.

"If we can get him right, then there's no reason why he can't play a part in the season. If you look at Teddy Sheringham, he played until he was 41.

"He wasn't blessed with pace, like Robbie, who I'm sure won't mind me saying.

gulp :unsure:

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you tell me when Jeffers had potential?

The fact that we received a transfer fee for Jeffers having picked him up virtually off the street does indicate that he had potential which he partially realised at Blackburn.

In fact, when he played for us - he wasn't that bad. He wasn't as bad as you would expect from someone who'd been bouncing around Charlton and Rangers reserves with no success.

Jeffers did very well in a short loan stint at Ipswich too.

Fowler has no potential now. Nothing worth speaking of. I would rather have Jon Stead be sitting on our bench because at least you know that with the skinny lanky one, he may trouble a tired side with his height, reasonable pace and mercurial reasonable skill.

When Fowler comes off the bench for us, defenders will get the cigars out.

Ince on Fowler

"He will always score goals"

Kinell! All these pre-season matches gainst lower div teams and he hasn't scored bloody one yet! :wstu:

*pens don't count in my book.

Fowler would be the most sickening signing we could make. It's a DISGRACE that we are considering him...

He could tell the kids about the pitfalls of white lines???? (Joke I know it was only rumour)

OK I can't offer anymore than I already have in the Fowler thread, but I do want to explain his hip injury. It is heavy reading.

From what I know Fowler underwent what is know as Hip Arthrascopy, a technigue that involves creating a microfracture in the hip. Below is a link to explain it better:

Hip Arthrascopy

Fowler he carried this injury for years I can only assume that the damage whatever it was would have severe. It may even have involved more than one microfracture. 3 months is about the norm in severe incidences of recovery before twisting can occur, yes he tried to make a comeback for the FA cup final but failed, then the close season came, I don't know if he trained or not, I assume the latter. Regaining peak fitness after such a long period off will take serious time not 6 weeks longer much:

Peak fitness

Now while not in the same catorgory as some of the listed atheletes you still require significant levels to play the game. Now if his surgery has correctted the problem, I don't know if it has? Then he will need more time, it would also explain his drop off that all of you are commenting on after he left pool.

Now Imagine this the surgery has correctted the problem (speculation, but you'll notice his career nosedived after it occurred), Cardiff must have thought so you don't offer 10K a week at there level on guesses. Given he's had pretty much 6 months of no training, or even stop start training, he nowhere near peak fitness yet. He is a risk I do not doubt this but if his injury is cured and Ince can get him back to fitness. Then it could work out quiet well, yes its a lot of if's, and he is 33, but if there's the slightest chance we can get a fully rehabilitated Fowler, on board at zero cost, then I say why not. Pay as you play, we lose nothing.

He is the 4th highest scorer in prem history, and thats with carrying this serious injury with him for half of his career.

Fowler has no potential now. Nothing worth speaking of. I would rather have Jon Stead be sitting on our bench because at least you know that with the skinny lanky one, he may trouble a tired side with his height, reasonable pace and mercurial reasonable skill.

IF we sign Fowler, it's because Ince thinks he can add something to our squad. So be it.

Your opinion doesn't matter.

What do you think his potential sell on fee could be in a years time majiball ?

What was Djorkaeff's, Henchoz's, Berner's, Enckelman's???? If he costs nothing and gets pay as you play then he costs nothing if he doesn't play.

My post above was merely to put some light onto the point that everyone has been making that he has been past it for a number of years. Perhaps citing a reason for it, and offering a slightly positive viewpoint from the normal we are a laughing stock comments because of him. If his hip is fixed, then there's a chance he could get back to something like his previous form. Why not take the chance, we lose nothing finacially. Was it not such players as Carragher, Gerrard who begged benetiz to take him back and keep him on at pool.

Even though he's had one season in the championship, a previous post that I put up showed he still has had a 1 in 2.5 goal ratio over the last four years.

You can scream all you want about how we are a joke, in the views of other fans, I personally am able to ignore others insults.

Also remember Robbie is an experienced Pro in the prem whether you like it or not he is. We lack older heads now who have been in the prem most of there lifes. Derbs has praised his pressence, that he can learn from him. He has scored more top flight goals than all our other strikers put together.

Are you seriously going to tell me he's been no worse than Benni pre-season??

By the way the op he underwent has a 5% morbidity rate, thats how seriously the man wants to play, that to me speaks volumes. At least he wants to be here can you say that about some of our other players?

It may work out it may not, but even a 10% chance that it does, its worth a try.

Strong comments there for Paul Ince can he show the maturity required and do the decent thing, we all await his decision hes had long enough.

Is Ince a ditherer?

:lol:

No games?

You made more sense when you were talking about Dunn.

Unintentionally hilarious post though, I'll give you that.

:D Only just read the last few posts on here and have to agree Rev, JAL's is one peach of a post. That is laugh out loud, eye wateringly funny :blink:

What was Djorkaeff's, Henchoz's, Berner's, Enckelman's???? If he costs nothing and gets pay as you play then he costs nothing if he doesn't play.

My post above was merely to put some light onto the point that everyone has been making that he has been past it for a number of years. Perhaps citing a reason for it, and offering a slightly positive viewpoint from the normal we are a laughing stock comments because of him. If his hip is fixed, then there's a chance he could get back to something like his previous form. Why not take the chance, we lose nothing finacially. Was it not such players as Carragher, Gerrard who begged benetiz to take him back and keep him on at pool.

Even though he's had one season in the championship, a previous post that I put up showed he still has had a 1 in 2.5 goal ratio over the last four years.

You can scream all you want about how we are a joke, in the views of other fans, I personally am able to ignore others insults.

Also remember Robbie is an experienced Pro in the prem whether you like it or not he is. We lack older heads now who have been in the prem most of there lifes. Derbs has praised his pressence, that he can learn from him. He has scored more top flight goals than all our other strikers put together.

Are you seriously going to tell me he's been no worse than Benni pre-season??

By the way the op he underwent has a 5% morbidity rate, thats how seriously the man wants to play, that to me speaks volumes. At least he wants to be here can you say that about some of our other players?

It may work out it may not, but even a 10% chance that it does, its worth a try.

Some good points made but hes still not good enough and simply has to go asap or the managers credibility is greatly damaged!

And I dont want that, having the managers credibility damaged especially as hes just starting out it aint good for any of us supporting Rovers.

The fact that we received a transfer fee for Jeffers having picked him up virtually off the street does indicate that he had potential which he partially realised at Blackburn.

In fact, when he played for us - he wasn't that bad. He wasn't as bad as you would expect from someone who'd been bouncing around Charlton and Rangers reserves with no success.

Jeffers did very well in a short loan stint at Ipswich too.

When Fowler comes off the bench for us, defenders will get the cigars out.

I disagree. I would rather have Fowler on the pitch then Jeffers any day. Although Jeffers looked a much better signing with his potential, I think he was a waste of space at Ewood. He always looked well out of his depth and very unfit. I think Fowler, positionally, is a great striker. Although, he's obviously lost pace and stamina, on a even sub bench he's wel worth his seat.

Just imagine we're throwing everything at another team at Ewood (which seemed to happen so many times last season). We're virtually playing the last half hour outside the opposition box. Fowler in this situation would be a good additon because his positional play and his football intelligence will give him chances.

I understand why people are concerned with this signing when there are blatantly a number of other positions that need filling but he will be a decent squad addition particularly on the right contract.

Its obviously going to be a short term, heavily reliant on performance so the risk is minimal. If he scores some goals then we are laughing, if he doesnt he will still pass valuable knowledge & experience onto the likes of Derbyshire.

Give the guy a break eh!

Its obviously going to be a short term, heavily reliant on performance so the risk is minimal. If he scores some goals then we are laughing, if he doesnt he will still pass valuable knowledge & experience onto the likes of Derbyshire.

Give the guy a break eh!

Derbyshire can get his knowledge from BM and RSC. Fowler should be nowhere near the club. Do you believe he get's paid NOTHING if he doesn't play?

Derbyshire can get his knowledge from BM and RSC. Fowler should be nowhere near the club. Do you believe he get's paid NOTHING if he doesn't play?

So he can learn from Benni, Great, so Derbs will learn to sulk be moody and stroll round the pitch half hearted. Benni is a link up striker he likes to drop in and get the ball with his back to goal, he is technique good. RSC is similar he also likes to drop deep, link up play etc.

Derbs is not this type of player, he never will be he stands on the shoulder he's a point man, a finisher, exactly what Fowler is and was. Yes he can learn from them but he would be better off learning from the same type of striker. You don't seem to understand this, there are different types of strikers, fowler and derbs are the same type RSC and Benni are not.

Would you ask pineapple to learn off Savage if he was still here they are both midfielders, no. Fowlers game was always about being in the right place at the right time, just as derbs needs to be he will learn better of Fowler than anyone else at the club.

Fowler is signing he's in the team photo, deal with it!

So he can learn from Benni, Great, so Derbs will learn to sulk be moody and stroll round the pitch half hearted. Benni is a link up striker he likes to drop in and get the ball with his back to goal, he is technique good. RSC is similar he also likes to drop deep, link up play etc.

Derbs is not this type of player, he never will be he stands on the shoulder he's a point man, a finisher, exactly what Fowler is and was. Yes he can learn from them but he would be better off learning from the same type of striker. You don't seem to understand this, there are different types of strikers, fowler and derbs are the same type RSC and Benni are not.

Would you ask pineapple to learn off Savage if he was still here they are both midfielders, no. Fowlers game was always about being in the right place at the right time, just as derbs needs to be he will learn better of Fowler than anyone else at the club.

Fowler is signing he's in the team photo, deal with it!

Don't be such a smart arse, of course I know Derbyshire is different to our other strikers but by your logic we should sign any old codger who used to be good because he might teach on of our players something.

If Fowler wants to be a coach he should get lost and get his coaching badges and then be employed as a COACH. It's an embarrassment that we are signing him as a player...

Don't be such a smart arse, of course I know Derbyshire is different to our other strikers but by your logic we should sign any old codger who used to be good because he might teach on of our players something.

If Fowler wants to be a coach he should get lost and get his coaching badges and then be employed as a COACH. It's an embarrassment that we are signing him as a player...

i take it you did not see the Matty Derbyshire interview the other day then Bish. i will laugh my back side off if he comes on tomorrow and scores the winner, then no doubt you will be saying Fowler is ace, thats how thick you are Bish. Now stop bloody moaning and get behined the lads you plonker.

IF we sign Fowler, it's because Ince thinks he can add something to our squad. So be it.

Your opinion doesn't matter.

Mine does 'cos I help pay his wages.

Everyone deserves a second chance. Fowler was a natural finisher a long time ago. A natural is a natural and just has it in them. You don't pass it on because it's like a gene. Fowler has nothing but bad habits to pass on and should be kept away from impressionable young men like Derbyshire. He was washed up at twenty four at Liverpool and they gave him a second chance(check the 'injury' lay offs he had). By 27 he'd blown it again. He could have passed loads on to their youngsters. Yet Liverpool were pleased to release one of their most prolific strikers.

Why was that do you think?

Wake up and smell the coffee.

i take it you did not see the Matty Derbyshire interview the other day then Bish. i will laugh my back side off if he comes on tomorrow and scores the winner, then no doubt you will be saying Fowler is ace, thats how thick you are Bish. Now stop bloody moaning and get behined the lads you plonker.

Let's see if Derbyshire scores as many as Fowler used to this season then. I fear he won't because Ince will probably be playing his mate in front of him.

I am behind the lads, I don't want to see us lose but I won't stick my head in the sand and say how great it is that we are selling our best players, are a laughing stock and are signing has beens like Fowler.

If we win games it will be because of people like RSC despite Ince and his mates being in charge...

To be fair Prof, you probably contribute just over £1 a week, £2 at most. In a decomocratic society thats hardly what we call a majority. That responsibility lands with the club, and its chosen manager.

No - but it gives me the right to have an opinion.

As he's not as yet been offered a contract he won't be turning out tomorrow.

I wonder if Ince will show us how tough he is by letting the trial go on and then booting his mate out? Would make a few people work harder on sit ups.

Archived