BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 39th Game New Options

The Premier league have decided a winter break is in order.

39th game changes

Two week break, or not an extra 5M is serious cash for Rovers, and could lead to more silver-ware, it may also be another route into europe :lol: It won't.

I'm on the fence over these ideas TBH, as I said 5M is a decent player extra each year, but on the flipside it will mean more games but only two more, thats not drastic it would no longer effect the league and can only aid in raising rovers world profile.

What do you all think?

The Premier league have decided a winter break is in order.

39th game changes

Two week break, or not an extra 5M is serious cash for Rovers, and could lead to more silver-ware, it may also be another route into europe :lol: It won't.

I'm on the fence over these ideas TBH, as I said 5M is a decent player extra each year, but on the flipside it will mean more games but only two more, thats not drastic it would no longer effect the league and can only aid in raising rovers world profile.

What do you all think?

If all the clubs get £5 million then what's the difference from now? I believe that money would go to even higher wages pretty quickly anyway - that's been the trend for ages now anyway.

It wouldn't help anyone within the league, but it would give premiership sides an even bigger advantage over lower league and european clubs. Also, the possibility of winning 5 million in a short tournament would be a pretty big deal for a club like ourselves.

I'm not sure that I am for it, but it is certainly better than the 39th game idea.

put the money into the carling or FA cup, so they are more attractive.

But this is the Premier Leagues baby.....The FA run the FA Cup and League Cup, no way the Premier League is gonna add extra games and then gift the money to the FA.

If all the clubs get £5 million then what's the difference from now? I believe that money would go to even higher wages pretty quickly anyway - that's been the trend for ages now anyway.

OK so you don't want an extra 5M profit at the club money that we could only generate by selling, for two games we get the same money that Crown have sponsored us for the next 3 years!

Yes every team would get it, so by that very reasoning we should have said no to the sky/setanta deal that has made our league the most lucarative in the world, that money helped us a club make a profit, with this we would make 5M more profit. Everyones also talking about the credit crunch, this extra 5M for two games could go along way to covering over the cracks the crunch may cause.

Each place in the league is worth an extra 750K alot of money, two games for 5M played in a two week break, so no mid week games and 2.5M a game in the coffers. Albiet it will either change the start of the season or the end, but most teams would be finished by mid may (same time as Continantal competion finishes) with training starting again beginning of July. Most leagues in europe already have a two week winter break, they don't just stop training for two weeks, they go on training camps during this time. Its not as drastic as you think. So 2 games 7 days apart training camp abroad change of scenary, bit of sun bonding session with team mates, think of it as pre-season like. Two games that don't in the grand scale of things matter one bit.

blah. just another way to inflate transfer prices. and if the teams are not obligated to use their best squad, what is the point?

put the money into the carling or FA cup, so they are more attractive.

The money would be generated by the continents bidding for the teams, its extra cash we already have deals for the carling cup and FA cup TV rights, we can't just put the price up. Our cups especially the FA cup are the most prestigous domestic cup competitions in the world all ready, I'm sure we squeeze as much cash from the rights as possible already.

The teams are obligated to field there strongest teams, it is stated in the article. Transfer prices I agree are inflated but we as a club never pay over the odds, with the current regime we never will, thank god. Look at the Robbo deal, the Benni deal, Cruz's deal, you cannot say we payed over the odds for them. Its done to the buying club if we feel its too much we will look else where, JW is no fool.

If its £5m a piece then its an 8% increase in revenue for a £60m turnover club like Rovers and a 3.5% increase in revenue for Chelsea, Arsenal or Man U.

Slight leveling of the EPL playing field is always welcome.

For that matter, there are signs that the prune juice effect might be getting slightly blocked this summer.

I'm with Phillipl on this, it will help make things more level within the Prem. Guaranteed money and it will be harder for the top four/five to consistently win a mini tournament like that. Smaller clubs would have a real chance.

It is a very intelligent idea in stark contrast to the 39th game idiocy. I can see it being a global event as it will have real immediate impact. I wouldn't be suprised if a "play off" is introduced between the five winners.

2 problems, as other have pointed out: 1) It makes the gap between Prem and Championship even more massive. Soon it is going to be almost unnavigable 2) It's not a winter break! Their playing for godssake... It makes the season longer! - not good for the England team.

For that matter, there are signs that the prune juice effect might be getting slightly blocked this summer.

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

There you go again Philipl. You constantly throw in these (as you see it) "oh so clever little lines" that the rest of us village idiots have no chance of understanding. Do you get off on that sort of thing? Just wondering as you do it so often.

If its £5m a piece then its an 8% increase in revenue for a £60m turnover club like Rovers and a 3.5% increase in revenue for Chelsea, Arsenal or Man U.

More to the point is how we spend it.

Rovers have spent better than just about every other club in the PL over the last few years. In order to maintain our position, we must continue to do so. We're about to find out if the astuteness lay with Sparky or JW. Hopefully the latter.

Their playing for godssake... It makes the season longer! - not good for the England team.

Exactly JBN .. and why its a stupid as the first idea.

The whole idea of the winter break was that they said the players where playing too many games ... so what the hell is this then?

I'll say it again ... its nothing to do with the game and is just to roll in more cash to the pockets of the greed of football nowadays.

Sorry folks, I'm already being driven away and they can put as much cherries on it as they want it's still a load of crap.

More to the point is how we spend it.

Rovers have spent better than just about every other club in the PL over the last few years. In order to maintain our position, we must continue to do so. We're about to find out if the astuteness lay with Sparky or JW. Hopefully the latter.

It's not down to JW to spend the money, it's down to the manager. (Within an overall budget laid down by JW and the Board)

Otherwise there'd be little point in appointing a manager. The Board have to pick who they think will be the right man then back his judgement.

OK so you don't want an extra 5M profit at the club money that we could only generate by selling, for two games we get the same money that Crown have sponsored us for the next 3 years!

Yes every team would get it, so by that very reasoning we should have said no to the sky/setanta deal that has made our league the most lucarative in the world, that money helped us a club make a profit, with this we would make 5M more profit. Everyones also talking about the credit crunch, this extra 5M for two games could go along way to covering over the cracks the crunch may cause.

I didn't say I didn't want it. I was merely skeptical as to where the money would be put - I think the players earn too much already. That's why I don't see it as a big deal. I know it will give us an edge over other leagues but I'm against the idea of playing league matches in other countries - those countries have leagues of their own and often struggle to generate enough money to support themselves - no need to let the rich get richer by stealing from the poor :rolleyes:

If it benefited the countries the games were being played in too then it would be a different issue - but I would prefer the English Premier League to stay in England.

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

There you go again Philipl. You constantly throw in these (as you see it) "oh so clever little lines" that the rest of us village idiots have no chance of understanding. Do you get off on that sort of thing? Just wondering as you do it so often.

I think for once, what Philip said was perfectly self explanatory.

He was alleging that this summer there seemed to be a slowing down of all income bypassing the clubs and flowing straight into the players pockets. (The prune juice effect)

Not sure I agree, but it was clear what he meant I thought.

Completely agree. Probably the most sensible thing you've ever written on the m/b. ;)

Actually, not sure if I favour the original proposal more than this one.

One game and and two or three days away for 5m or several games and 12 days away for 5m?

I know which I'd go for, plus under the new proposals the games become meaningless, no matter how they try and dress them up. Might as well just have everyone doing this preseason as part of their preperations.

Sorry, when Alan Sugar was quitting Spurs he said that football was an impossible industry for businessmen to get involved with.

Any cash investment injected went straight out into players' wages "just like prune juice".

Ever since then, it has always been referred to as the prune juice effect.

This summer, there seems to be an effort on the part of the EPL clubs to keep wages in check. There is prune juice at the very top with Abramovich plus Barca, Real, Juve, AC and Inter controlling their own TV revenues being happy to get into thje £100K++ a week bracket but there seems to be a break on the nonsense of the previous two transfer windows.

There are even a few tablets of immodium around- not least at Newcastle and West Ham.

So where is the argument that players need a proper winter break and less games? Its all always about money and you have to wonder where it ends.

Sure an extra 5 million would be nice but there basically going to be flying halfway around the world and back again to play a couple of friendlies.

Stating that they have to put out their strongest team? Sure I can see RFW wanting to win the ever so important 'Vodaphone International Cup' while picking up a few injuries for the slightly more important Premier League and Champions League. I think it's safe to say now that Rooney and co might pick up a slight hamstring strain which just so happens to be fine for their next premiership match.

I didn't say I didn't want it. I was merely skeptical as to where the money would be put - I think the players earn too much already. That's why I don't see it as a big deal. I know it will give us an edge over other leagues but I'm against the idea of playing league matches in other countries - those countries have leagues of their own and often struggle to generate enough money to support themselves - no need to let the rich get richer by stealing from the poor :rolleyes:

If it benefited the countries the games were being played in too then it would be a different issue - but I would prefer the English Premier League to stay in England.

As I have already stated several times before on various threads at various times: Football has long ago ceased to be a sport; it is now about ONE thing and ONE thing only............MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.

Actually I don't have any problem with the idea of Football clubs and Associations making money; they have to do that to carry on existing and to make reasonable and modest progress. BUT there is a world of difference between everyone making a decent living and the situation we now have in Premier League Football and it's equivalent in other countries. What is happening now in these top leagues is nothing more or less than sickening greed by the leagues, clubs, players and their agents,and exploitation of the paying public by the clubs and the media. I am not blaming any particular club for this and certainly not Blackburn Rovers, but the situation has been allowed to happen over a period of many years, and has now gone far, far beyond anything that could be described as reasonable. In fact it can best be described now by one word....... obscene.

This latest proposal from Mr Scudamore and sanctioned by the EPL is merely another step on the road to Hell for the ultimate victims (the paying public), and is simply pandering to more and more of the greed as dreamed up by the money-mad circus presenters AKA the Leagues, Media, Agents, Clubs, Players and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all. You and I are the fools that ultimately pick up the tab. Either get used to it, or alternatively find something else to do with your money. Join a golf club might not be such a bad idea after all! ;)

I think for once, what Philip said was perfectly self explanatory.

He was alleging that this summer there seemed to be a slowing down of all income bypassing the clubs and flowing straight into the players pockets. (The prune juice effect)

Not sure I agree, but it was clear what he meant I thought.

Well all I can say is that being used to people (and myself) speaking plain English I can't be expected to know what Philipl or any other would-be clever so and so has at the back of their arcane minds when they post using expressions like "prune juice effect" unless they somehow or other tie it into something that has been said before in another post and accompanied by either a quote from said post, or at least some other clear and unmistakeable reference.

Archived