BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Banks Pull The Plug On Margos Town Centre Flats?

Rumour at this moment in time, but i've been told on good authority that the banks have pulled the plug on Margo Grimshaws town centre development flats.

Further more one of the new buildings next to the Dunn Horse pub currently Z bar, the banks are looking into finding further funding to complete the roof so as to secure the building as its currently unfinished.

Sad for Margo though said she'd sold a number of the 'flats' which doesnt seem to be the case as of this moment in time.

Poor Margo her intentions were good just the timing of the credit crunch was unfortunate.

Who would want to but a posh flat in the centre of Blackburn of all places?

My thoughts exactly, and £295k for a luxury 2 bed appartment seems a bit optimistic. Just imagine looking out on your balcony at midnight on a friday and saturday night!!

It would be a shame if this does go belly up, I can't see why anybody would buy one of the flats at the moment but if the developments around the cathederal go ahead it might be better for the town centre. Just hope it doesn't end up like the pavilions, I'm sure there is still a unit available for let.

Yeah, poor old Margo. Times must be hard for her, still think she's not be able to get her Totem pole fixed after the arm fell off.

She deserves every credit for what she was trying to achieve, though I can't help thinking the project was a tad ambitious as I guess it relied on a lot of regeneration brass & the bank. On reflection, I don't feel it was truly viable to create a 'continental' pavement culture on Barbary Coast really, was it?

Still, it's a shame - I've a lot of time for the lass. Until I met her I was a bit cynical about her, but one thing is certain - she truly loves the town and will do all she can for it. She's also a businesswomen too, but it's only like us with that mob @ Ewood, sometimes our objectivity and sense goes out the window :blink:

With all that being said, she still may have made some brass if she was flipping them?

Knock em down rebuild Never Never so I can have a decent night out in another location in town without the chavs annoyin me.

Also rebuilding vies would be nice for pure nostalgic purposes :)

Seriously though near £300k flats in Blackburn town centre when people can rent one for less that £360 a month in the rest of the area its in is a bit optimistic

Still, it's a shame - I've a lot of time for the lass. Until I met her I was a bit cynical about her, but one thing is certain - she truly loves the town and will do all she can for it. She's also a businesswomen too, but it's only like us with that mob @ Ewood, sometimes our objectivity and sense goes out the window :blink:

She does seem a genuine woman from what little I've seen of her knocking around .

How she could believe this venture would succeed is hard to fathom . People with that kind of money would surely be doing their utmost to get away from the town centre not moving there .

I was born and lived in Chester until 1991 before I moved up to Blackburn and when I go back to Chester to visit the family there are a lot of developments of flats around the city centre,mainly on the outskirts and if I was in a position ton buy one I would as most are in good areas, however I don't think I would pay near £300,000 for a flat next to the Sun pub, although I wouldnt need a stereo as I would be able to hear the jukebox quite clearly :P.

The article that Ossie posted a link to, theres an interesting part where Margo says about how people dont want to go into to town because of young people off their heads on alcopops and shot drinks.

Err hang on how did Margo make her money again thats right selling alcohol in town, I remember my first time in Mr G's with my now wife, sticky carpets, flat ale and a shed load of borderline 18 yr olds.

It is a shame indeed. Blackburn town centre needS some life breathing back into it. The place totally dies after 5pm when the shops close (& it aint too great before 5pm either!!)

....but at the end of the day, if i had £295k to spend on a pad........it certainly wouldn`t be in down-town Blackburn! :unsure:

Err hang on how did Margo make her money again thats right selling alcohol in town, I remember my first time in Mr G's with my now wife, sticky carpets, flat ale and a shed load of borderline 18 yr olds.

I think she made most money selling drinks out of town at the Lodestar and Bowling Green. The breathalyser moved the scene to town centres after that.

Problem is that there are a hell of a %age of the residents of Blackburn that are the lowest of the low. Large tracts of the urban area now resemble ghetto's. Visit or drive through Bburn any early evening to find proof of that.

Blackburn is dying and this is just another nail in the coffin. The flats will eventaully be finished and will be brimming with whores and smack heads by 2011.....lovely.

Disagree...... it'll be surrounded by them.... the flats will be inhabited by the dealers and the pimps.

I think she made most money selling drinks out of town at the Lodestar and Bowling Green. The breathalyser moved the scene to town centres after that.

Problem is that there are a hell of a %age of the residents of Blackburn that are the lowest of the low. Large tracts of the urban area now resemble ghetto's. Visit or drive through Bburn any early evening to find proof of that.

Your right there theno'

The loadstar was where she made her money, used to go nearly every thurs, friday sat and sunday, saw the Boomtown Rats make their UK debut there and also saw Ken Dodd nearly get attacked on stage after making some not nice comments about the Rovers :)

The place used to be packed every weekend and had some great bands and comedians guesting.

Archived