Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] League Table Prediction 2008-2009

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20. Stoke

19. Hull

18. Wigan

None seem to have bought enough quality, nor possess the right mix of players to do well this year. Shame, really. One team of the three that comes up always seems to do better than the rest and this will be no different.

17. Bolton - The unflushables of English football. Will survive to fight another day, but losing Diouf will prevent them from regaining any composure.

16. West Brom - will probably break out of the bottom in the second half of the season.

15. Blackburn - At the risk of getting chastised, I just feel it's time to build. The beginning of a four year plan for the new gaffer, but losing Brad more than anyone else will affect whatever was left of the stability we had. A relegation scrap would be character building, but I feel our final position will be more of a loss of concentration at the end of the season with nothing left to play for.

14. Man City - Oh dear. Whatever happened to them. Expect to see the FA fail to deduct points (that would otherwise have relegated them) when evidence of severe financial irregularities are uncovered, and instead issue a statement that Thaksin is a jolly good egg. The day before he gets extradited. Hughes will give up before Christmas, probably the second he is offered a job elsewhere.

13. Sunderland - Got some good players at last, now Keane needs to get them working together. Will probably have a poor first half but a good finish the season.

12. Newcastle - Permanently poor.

11. Fulham - Will surprise a few with a better season then usual, thanks to some good signings.

10. West Ham - Another mixed season for the happy hammers.

9. Middlesborough - A far better season than normal - perhaps Southgate will start to get some credit.

8. Tottenham - I doubt they will ever shift that tag of under achieving. Seem to be distracted by being one of the 'big five'.

7. Everton - Probably not as good a season as normal but a late surge will please the fans

6. Portsmouth - Another cracking season for 'Arry. Unfortunately for us, if the table finishes like this any of our decent players will be tempted should they come knocking.

5. Liverpool - It doesn't matter who they sign, Benitez will never get the hang of tactics for a league.

4. Aston Villa - My tip to finally break that top four, thanks mainly to Brad.

3. Arsenal - The kids have become men, but another quiet transfer window means they won't gain any pace on the top two.

2. Man United - Will bore everyone with the never-ending Ronaldo saga. Yawn.

1. Chelsea - Will bore everyone by winning too much and only ever playing average football. Zzz.

1 Man Utd

2 Chelsea

3 Arsenal

4 Tottenham

5 Liverpool

6 Portsmouth

7 Man City

8 Aston Villa

9 Everton

10 West Ham

11 Newcastle

12 Blackburn

13 Sunderland

14 Fulham

15 Middlesbrough

16 West Brom

17 Wigan

18 Bolton

19 Stoke

20 Hull

Any reason why so many think the Hammers are in for a tough season?

Ashton and Bellamy are never fit at the same time. Don't even know how good Bellamy is these days because he never plays. Ashton took a long time to get anywhere near his best form after his last injury.

Others are always injured like Dyer and Parker, these two are not the players they were once more mainly due to injuries. In defence what have they got? Anton Ferdinand and co, Lucas Neil who's career has certainly not improved since he left us, (You don't see clubs like Liverpool wanting him now!). I see nothing special in their team basically, they've bought in Behrami who looks technically very poor.

The only good things they have is Ashton when fit, Noble in midfield who looks promising and then Rob Green at the back who does for them what Brad did for us, keeps them in the game.

Coming in late on this one - sorry! :rolleyes:

01 Chelsea

02 Man Utd

03 Arsenal

04 Liverpool

05 Aston Villa

06 Portsmouth

07 Tottenham

08 Rovers

09 Everton

10 Newcastle

11 Man City

12 West Ham

13 Middlesbrough

14 Sunderland

15 Bolton

16 Fulham

17 Wigan

18 West Brom

19 Hull

20 Stoke

• 5 months later...
Man I just about half an hour making all my precitions and giving explanations then the page wouldn't load when I clicked post, here is a less detailed version!

1. Chelsea I see it as a two horse race, Chelsea have a stronger squad if injuries come into play, it really is a tossup between 1 and 2

2. Man Utd Lucky with injuries last year, might not be so lucky this year, it will be close.

3. Liverpool Keane will create and score goals for them, taking the pressure of Torres and Gerrard pushing them closer but still not quite there.

4. Arsenal Nasri coming in for Hleb is more or less a like for like replacement but without Silva and Flamini they lack steel in the middle.

5. Portsmouth Goals in the team and building a strong squad, 5-8 is hard to call.

6. Blackburn A few more signings and were going to have a stronger squad than last year, outfield I see us being better, the difference between 6 and as low as 11th will come down to how well Robinson replaces Friedel.

7. Tottenham Some good players have come in but the majority are unproven in the premiership and I can't bring myself to place them any higher than this.

8. Aston Villa Lost a few key players at the back and I think defenses will now have the knowledge of their pacey counter attacks and deal with them a bit better this year.

9. Everton With Johnson and Carlsley gone they've lost two key players and replaced them with nobody as of yet, could be a tougher year for Everton.

10. Man City Still wonder who is going to get all of their goals, is Jo the answer? Maybe but only time will tell. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

11. Newcastle Another season of mediocracy for Newcastle, a fit Owen could score the goals to push them higher up, question marks will always remain about their defence.

12. Sunderland Brought in a lot of players, question marks over the quality of a few of them but they'll do alright this year.

13. Wigan A few shrewd signings, the likes of Valencia, Palacios, Cattermole, Heskey and co give them a lot of power, goals may be a problem but I think they'll do okay.

14. West Ham They moan about injuries but other than few such as Ashton I don't see that much quality in the team. Curbishley first to go.

15. Middlesborough Tough to call on Boro, Alves could be one too watch, could break into the top 10 if everything goes right. Adam Johnson looks very promising.

16. Fulham Johnson will dive/score enough penalties to keep them up, they'll be in the battle but just stay up

17. West Brom Strengthened a lot, question marks about the quality of a few but I think they'll scrap enough to stay up.

18. Bolton They lost Anelka and struggled last year, now they've lost Diouf so who knows where the goals are coming from. With the likes of Speed, Stelios and Campo now gone they have also lost a lot of experience. Bye bye Bolton.

19. Stoke They'll give it a good go but lack the quality to stay up.

20. Hull They'll do well not to break Derby's record from last year.

Well with over half the season gone I'm not looking too great here! Portsmouth at 5th? What was I thinking, although things could have been different if Harry, Defoe, Diarra, Muntari etc stayed. That was mainly because I couldn't bare to put Villa any higher than 8th due to a dislike for them!

Slightly ambitous to put us at 6th haha, I even hinted that 11th would be our lowest position!

Anyone doing any good?

Well even before all the shennanigans of the pre-season began and the supposed goings on down at old Ewood I thought we would struggle this season.

However, bar maybe Spurs (even possibly without Berbs and Keane) I don’t see anybody else who has really strengthened to the extent that it will render us also rans in the European places

What I do envisage is a Premier unlike any before with regard to the bottom 3 relegation places – and it being a constant revolving door with many teams going in and out on a regular basis . With about 10 teams battling throughout to keep away from the trapdoor – except for Stoke who could be another Derby in the making,before stabilising to the usual 3/4 teams at the end

The likes of Sunderland, Wigan, Fulham appear to be better equipped to make a better stand of it and surely the Geordies will be not be as bad as they where.

Therefore my Lawrenson report for the season is as follows:

1. CHELSKI

2. MU

3. LIVERPOOL

4. ARESNAL

5. SPURS

6. PORTSMOUTH

7. VANILLA

8. BORO – as per others the possible surprise pkg

9. ROVERS – stability

10. FOOLHAM

11. EVERTON

12. WIGAN -2nd surprise pkg

13. NEWCASTLE

14. SUNDERLAND

15. notlob

16. WBA

17. WHAM

18. CITEH

19. HULL

20. STOKE

Maybe not so good in terms of the positions but what I envisaged is certainly happening - anybody want the lottery numbers for the weekend

I dont go for predictions I am afraid, what will be will be.

The important thing is we keep picking up points and being solid as a unit, personally as long as we are not relegated, I dont care where we are this season, then we can kick on next season, that to me after the disaster called Ince would be Eutopia!!

1. Chelsea

2. Man U

3. Liverpool

4. Arsenal

5. Villa

6. Spuds (unless they improve their defence and get a striker-then they'll be 5th)

7. Portsmouth

8. Everton

9. Man City

10. Boro

11. Sunderland

12. ROVERS

13. Newcastle

14. West Ham

15. Fulham

16. Man City (assuming the current madness keeps on ging, and Hughes leaves soonish)

17. West Brom

18. Bolton

19. Hull

20. Stoke

Not too bad I suppose. Spurs, Boro and Portsmouth will probably be completely wrong, but we can reach 12th. Whilst browsing to find mine, I had noticed how many have under-estimated Villa, including me.

• 2 weeks later...
Not too bad I suppose. Spurs, Boro and Portsmouth will probably be completely wrong, but we can reach 12th. Whilst browsing to find mine, I had noticed how many have under-estimated Villa, including me.

Opposite for me as didn't really underestimate Villa - more over estimated Boro :blink: - what the hell was I drinking?

• 3 months later...
1. Man Utd

2. Liverpool

3. Chelsea

4. Portsmouth

5. Arsenal

6. Tottenham

7. Everton

8. Blackburn

9. Aston Villa

10. Newcastle

11. Man City

12. West Ham

13. Fulham

14. Sunderland

15. Stoke

16. Hull

17. Middlesbrough

18. Wigan

19. Bolton

20. West Brom

What was I thinking!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it was time to start calculating everything, but remembered I don't have a way to do it. I was thinking maybe a 20 point thing. You get 20 points if you have the spot right, minus 1 point for every place you were off. It'd be a lot of point but I cant think of anything else. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

01. Manchester United

02. Chelsea

03. Arsenal

04. Liverpool

05. Everton

06. Aston Villa

07. Portsmouth

08. Tottenham

09. Middlesbrough

10. West Ham United

11. Newcastle United

12. Blackburn Rovers

13. Manchester City

14. Fulham

15. Wigan Athletic

16. Sunderland

17. Bolton Wanderers

18. West Bromwich Albion

19. Stoke City

20. Hull City

(Ones in Bold i predicted correctly).

Got a few right, I was expecting the three that came up to go straight down so i wasn't expecting Newcastle and Boro to finish so low.

Predicted we would have a tough season with Hughes going, the sale of Bentley and the employment of an inexperienced manager who i thought would need a season to find his feet. Didn't think we would finish as low as we did though.

1. Manchester United

2. Chelsea

3. Arsenal

4. Liverpool

5. Spurs

6. Villa

7. Rovers

8. Portsmouth

9. Everton

10. City

11. Boro

12. Newcastle

13. West Ham

14. Fulham

15. Sunderland

16. West Brom

17. Bolton

18. Wigan

19. Hull

20. Stoke

Not a great year for me.

1. Pensioners

2. Gunners

3. Red devils

4. Reds

5. Spurs

6. Villa

7. Boro

8. Pompey

9. Toffees

10. Blue mooners

11. Hammers

12. Rovers

13. Black Cats

14. Magpies

15. Cottagers

16. Baggies

17. Latics

18. Trotters

19. Tigers

20. Potters

Only two correct. Poor performance.

1. Man Utd

2. Chelsea

3. Arsenal

4. Tottenham

5. Liverpool

6. Aston Villa

7. Portsmouth

8. Everton

9. Man City

10. Newcastle

11. Middlesbrough

12. Sunderland

13. Wigan Athletic

14. Blackburn Rovers

15. Fulham

16. Bolton Wanderers

17. Hull City

18. West Ham Utd

19. West Brom

20. Stoke City

Why do I always think Tottenham will do well?

Not a great year for me that, although I was very close with our prediction.

01. Manchester United

02. Chelsea

03. Liverpool

04. Arsenal

05. Tottenham Hotspur

06. Portsmouth

07. Everton

08. Aston Villa

09. Blackburn Rovers

10. Newcastle United

11. West Ham United

12. Manchester City

13. Sunderland

14. Middlesbrough

15. Fulham

16. Bolton Wanderers

17. Wigan Athletic

18. West Bromwich Albion

19. Hull City

20. Stoke City

:unsure: oops!

Don't feel bad Lechuck I had Spuds high as well and we won't talk about newcastle!

Archived