BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews - Rovers Newest Signing

I have seen Andrews play this season and as i have stated on previous threads he is a decent sqaud player for the Rovers. He will not moan that he is on the bench at a premier league club, will give his all, can pass and has a great engine. Also, look on Wikipedia and see how many goals he scored since Ince started playing him.....he must see something in him.

For £800,000 he is a gamble worth taking. Because of you think about, those add ons are a waste of time. I cannot see him playing every week.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know what Rover6, with that post you've totally contradicted evrything you stand for in relation to the promotion of youngsters to the first team.

How does this signing differ from the much maligned acquisition of Bruno Berner?

I did say that ideally, I would prefer Ince to persevere with Alan Judge (who can play central). Imo, if we stick with Judge, we will get results from him as a useful squad player. However, because I get battered for looping about youngsters getting chances I admit to compromising my stance on Andrews, to an extent. So, I accept your criticism of contradicting myself.

However, I would add, that this signing will be very different from Berner. This is because when we signed Berner, we had a promising left back in Andy Taylor who, in my opinion, deserved exposure as Warnock's deputy. That was why I was so strongly against the idea of signing mediocre squad player.

With Andrews, we do not have a a genuinely promising player in his role in the reserves. Like I said, Judge is someone who I'd like to see there but he's played most of his young career as a right midfielder. Otherwise, there's no real talent coming through, so Ince is arguably justified in bringing someone in.

I'd normally agree with you on that Al, but how far do you go down the leagues until that loses validity? If we signed a conference player, would we be wrong to say he's unlikely to be good enough without watching him? Particularly bearing in mind the age of Andrews.

Michael Kightly of Wolves that people are raving about, was picked up from non-league at 21. Jason Roberts and Derbyshire started out in non-league. Jimmy Bullard followed Wigan from league 2 to the Premiership.

People make a big point of Andrews being a League 2 player, while he's spent most of his career in the Championship with Wolves, being the youngest player to captain them. By his own admission he was stupid in his early twenties but has wised up the last couple of seasons. Given Ince knows the level of our squad he must certain that Andrews has something to do there.

I remember us picking up some guy, Neill or something from Millwall. Recalling that the Millwall fans never thought he was Premiership material.

Nobody expects him to be a world beater, but people focusing so much on a squad player is beyond me. I don't recall the same outcry on Jeffers, Berner and Henchoz.

I remember us picking up some guy, Neill or something from Millwall. Recalling that the Millwall fans never thought he was Premiership material.

We also picked up someone called Reid from the same club... There is also a mildly successful striker called Ian Wright who came from non-league. :)

We also picked up someone called Reid from the same club... There is also a mildly successful striker called Ian Wright who came from non-league. :)

The three players mentioned - Neill, Wright and Reid all had potential when they signed. At 27, Andrews has arguably fulfilled his.

There's no problem with any of us having an opinion and nobody wants the guy to fail either. Like I said before, the manager has to be left to manage.

Edit - Oh and you can add Stead to the list too.

Every single one of these players people keep listing have one key thing in common - they were young.

Find examples of players who have made the leap from Division Four to Division One in their late 20s. Bullard is the only one I can think of who comes near to qualifying.

Edit: Beat me to it LD. :)

I have seen him play on many occasions, as I was a season ticket holder at Hull city when he was playing for them. He was very very average and after many indifferent dispalys, was dropped. Hull were at the bottom of the Championship at the time with a very poor squad. So for him not to even make the squad speaks volumes. He has no redeeming features. He isnt fast, aggresive, gifted, or strong. He is a run of the mill, lower league journeyman. I would be very shocked if he has improved greatly since he left...i would have expected him to do well in league 2 with MK dons as the standard was much lower than the championship.

I think its one of the worst signing we have ever made. I think he would be a decent purchase for a league one club and is worth ca 100,000quid. Im not too depressed however as he isnt too expensive and maybe his wages wont be too high...but its a pointless signing and a waste of money. This has to be Ince bringing in a mate. Knowing Andrews, it couldnt be anything different.

Someone mentioned prem snobbery. I would always support my manager if he signed YOUNG players from lower league clubs a la Stead, but Andrews is past his prime already! He has always failed at championship level, so what are his chances of succeeding in the prem.

Had there been a rumour linking Andrews with an established prem side when he was at Hull city (and younger), it would have been totally unbelievable!

Everyone`s an expert. Of all people against the signing, how many of you have been along and seen the lad play?

Oh, its all gone quiet.

Me

He's rot. Anyone saying "he'll be better than Mokoena" had better shake the sawdust out of what passes for their brains. He's an adequate 4th division player. He didn't stand out at all for me when I saw their team play. Misplaced passes, played at the speed of your average slug into spaces where your team's players weren't. That's 4th division football.

It's Pedersen all over again. Last season people were saying that he must have the negatives on Mr Hughes to keep getting picked. Andrews must have some pretty revealing negatives on Ince to be bought.

Oh and as for the youngest captain at Wolves............... he was so good they got rid.

And for the idjits who say "we have to let the manager manage" That's true- unfortunately we cannot physically stop it. We don't have to think it's right though.

The three players mentioned - Neill, Wright and Reid all had potential when they signed. At 27, Andrews has arguably fulfilled his.

There's no problem with any of us having an opinion and nobody wants the guy to fail either. Like I said before, the manager has to be left to manage.

Edit - Oh and you can add Stead to the list too.

I would argue that the same would have been said about Ian Wright. He was picked up from Sunday League football just before his 22nd birthday. My point is this, just because a player is over his 21st birthday does not mean he isn't going to improve and he can't cut it at a higher level than he's been playing at. I've taken a look at Andrews record and it is remarkably different from his younger playing days compared to recent history. He may well not cut it at this level and he may prove to be 'only' a squad player but surely it's worth giving him a chance, as a fan of Rovers, to prove to you that he can do it? Ince thinks there is something there, he may be wrong but I'll warrant he knows a lot more about midfielders and how to play professional top-level football than any of us on this board. I hope people understand that I'm not blindly following Ince and saying everything he does is gospel because he is Rovers manager, I am still on the fence regarding his appointment but I'm willing to give him a chance and the same with Andrews. Ince will live and die as a manager by his appointments and how the team play, Andrews surely has to play a part in that and should be allowed to.

Before you hang a man, give him enough rope... ;)

And for the idjits who say "we have to let the manager manage" That's true- unfortunately we cannot physically stop it. We don't have to think it's right though.

So on the one hand you call me an 'idjit' and on the other you agree with me by saying 'That's true' ?

Strewth.

And believe me, if I had my way I wouldn't have Andrews anywhere near the rovers squad but that's what we've got.

Me

He's rot. Anyone saying "he'll be better than Mokoena" had better shake the sawdust out of what passes for their brains. He's an adequate 4th division player. He didn't stand out at all for me when I saw their team play. Misplaced passes, played at the speed of your average slug into spaces where your team's players weren't. That's 4th division football.

It's Pedersen all over again. Last season people were saying that he must have the negatives on Mr Hughes to keep getting picked. Andrews must have some pretty revealing negatives on Ince to be bought.

Oh and as for the youngest captain at Wolves............... he was so good they got rid.

Always such a pleasant tone in your posts...

How awful Saturday's win must've been for you. Seeing Ince getting the players to play attacking football that your dry professor Hughes never could. Even with his scientific training scheme.

So Andrews is now your only way to get a hit on Ince? A bit low isn't it.

I guess your opinion is based on more than one match? Isn't it a bit strange that he was voted League 2 player of the year then? Maybe your football insight isn't that great?

I have a mental picture of the Celtic fan, JAL and the other anti-Ince, anti-Andrews lot hanging around Ewood and booing him as soon as he touches the ball. That is when they're not throwing pies at Ince and generally being negative.

Personally, I'd leave well alone with this player, but I still hope my doubts are misplaced.

I have not seen him play but there are certain things that need to be mentioned here:

1. He has worked closely with Ince at Wolves and MK Dons (AL-in fact they had a major fall out at Wolves disproving the old "pension fund" for a mate theory!).

2. He was League 2 player of the year.

3. He has been the youngest ever Wolves Captain.

4. He has admitted that his years between becoming Wolves captain and playing for MK Dons were wasted and he is making uo for lost time.

5. If people are basing purchasing him on single performances then why not highlight his performance against Championship side Watford where he miles better than anyone on the pitch?

Most important is that Andrews is going to cost us £500K up front with a further £800K based on trophies, appearances etc, so a maximum of £1.3 million (if he is part of a successful team).

Sav cost us £3.5 million and we got £1.5 million back after 2 years, we are going to be losing very little financially on this deal AND he is a player Ince wants so back him!

Every single one of these players people keep listing have one key thing in common - they were young.

Find examples of players who have made the leap from Division Four to Division One in their late 20s. Bullard is the only one I can think of who comes near to qualifying.

Geoff Horsfield came up from the Conference - although, he didn't jump straight to the Prem.

You're right though, there are not many supra-late-developers who made it to the Prem from that the "low leagues" in their late 20s.

Here's another tenuous argument supporting the Andrews signing... Ince raided Mansfield when he joined MK Dons. Admittedly, there were a number of pish raids but the signing of Alan Navarro was inspired and he has become one of their star players (defensive midfield). Now, I'm sure, when MK Donnies heard about Navarro, they were not enamoured at the potential of signing a midfielder from a club that had been totally crap and only just avoided relegation.

Obviously, there was no league gap between MK and Mansfield, so the above argument is probably worse than tenuous...but they all count. ^_^

Rovers 'rumoured' in for superstar Joaquin, Andrews sneaks in. Stick, dog and fetch spring to mind.

Meanwhile near Valencia Joaquin looks up the latest news on his potential new team mate from the 4th division and .....declines rovers offer.

Everyone at Rovers is happy, big money is safe, Andrews is on board for his promised payday, stupid fans briefly excited.

Mugs, we are absolute mugs to follow this game.

if we get him for 500k, i'll be delighted.

Ince clearly rates this guy very very highly and believes he can add something to our team/squad.

His opinion is all that counts.

I just hope that if we do get him, all the detractors will at least give the guy a chance before burning him at the stake after a pass goes astray...

Absolutely right Andy C. Like virtually all of us Rovers fans I have no idea what Andrews has to offer us, but if Ince rates him as highly as he obviously does, then the least we can all do is to give the boy a chance to show us all what he can do. And that should mean at least a dozen or so games.....he has to get used to a new club, new team mates and a totally different standard of opposition to what he's been used to. Let's just be patient and give the lad a decent crack of the whip.

The "anti Ince" brigade were working themselves into a frenzy in the weeks leading up to last Saturdays game then suddenly fell quiet. However the tune has now changed to "anti Andrews" and again the noise is building.I can't and won't give an opinion on Andrews as I've never seen him play but as with Paul Ince he should be given his chance to prove himself without a mob baying for his blood before he's even kicked a ball. Some of you will say "we're entitled to our opinions" but one opinion that has been floated a few times I find particularly nasty and derogatory of Paul Ince. That opinion is that he has brought one of "his mates" in. Do any of you honestly believe he would jeopardise his budding Premier League career by doing such a thing, I certainly don't and it remains to be seen if his judgement was right or not.

Just imagine if you were to land a new job but before you had even started your first day you became aware of scathing comments about your abilities, you would'nt feel to good would you, so lets hope that should messrs Ince and Andrews be aware of the comments on this message board it only spurs them on to better things.

Archived