BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Butter Pies

Spar, Mill Hill.

Followed Philip's link and I didn't realise the butter pie was almost strictly a Lancastrian thing...that probably explains why it's almost impossible to find them in Cumbria (never tried in Manchester).

Let us know if it's a success bacup, I might have a go myself if you find something successful...nothing beats a good pie, and being a non-meat eater the butter pie is one of very few I can enjoy. I'm a bit puzzled as to where the flavour will come from in the recipes suggested on the internet though...just onions, potatoes, butter and pepper in pastry? Someone suggested boiling the potatoes in stock...that seems to make sense.

I've never, ever had home made pasty that compares to the pastry on a pie from a bakery though.

Followed Philip's link and I didn't realise the butter pie was almost strictly a Lancastrian thing...that probably explains why it's almost impossible to find them in Cumbria (never tried in Manchester).

Let us know if it's a success bacup, I might have a go myself if you find something successful...nothing beats a good pie, and being a non-meat eater the butter pie is one of very few I can enjoy. I'm a bit puzzled as to where the flavour will come from in the recipes suggested on the internet though...just onions, potatoes, butter and pepper in pastry? Someone suggested boiling the potatoes in stock...that seems to make sense.

I've never, ever had home made pasty that compares to the pastry on a pie from a bakery though.

Thanks.

I must admit i wondered about the flavouring so i part boiled the potatoes in vegetable stock first,drained them off and put them in the dish with sliced onions.I then put a couple of ladles of the stock over the spuds and onions and then placed the butter on TOP of them,so the butter would cover all the veg as it melted.Added salt and pepper to season then Whacked the pastry on and baked for 25 mins at about 180 degrees celsius.If you press the pastry down you get some of the juice on the edges of the pastry.Mmmmm!! Delicious!

By the way the pie was pretty damned good,Wife and kids wolfed the lot down!

Im assuming with you being veggie you use veg oil for your pastry?Sorry but unfortunately it doesn`t really make good pastry.(majority of pastry is made with lard. :( )

Mmmm. Piiiees!

Spar, Mill Hill.

The Ashworths butter pies from Mill Hill Spar are fantastic.

More than that they only exist in some parts of Lancashire. IIRC the Oldham lass I used to go out with had never heard of them, nor my boss who hails from Bury (though his missus has).

More than that they only exist in some parts of Lancashire. IIRC the Oldham lass I used to go out with had never heard of them, nor my boss who hails from Bury (though his missus has).

You could be right there. My mum hails from Oldham and claims not to have heard of them before moving here. Neither had my dad, who's a Manc.

Bacup,

Don't worry about the pastry too much. Simply wazz up 2 amounts of flour to 1 amount of fat (it can be marge, butter or something like Stork cooking (or if you are not vegetarian or don't care - lard) in the food processor. It should look like breadcrumbs.

Using liquid oils like sunflower or olive works OK, but just be steady as you add it.

It's now ready to add sugar if you want to make a crumble (for apple crumble, or rhubarb crumble.)

For pie pastry leave out the sugar & simply add cold water VERY SLOWLY until it forms into a ball. Stick it into the fridge for a couple of hours and it will be ready for rolling into a pie case.

The butter pie recipe really needs adding to, in no particular order

mint

peas

chilli (for them December games at Ewood)

coriander

garlic

cheese (Lancashire of course)

or maybe a combination

Happy cooking pie-lovers.

YFB

I was going to suggest cheese myself, but I thought that would make it an entirely different pie...the veggie option in cumbria seems to be a cheese pie (not to be confused with cheese pasties from Greggs etc), which seems identical to a butter pie really except for the cheese. The one round the corner from my parents house puts a layer of cheese on top of the lid as well which then gets that lovely shepherd's pie-esque texture to it.

I'm going to have to have a go at this, I've been trying to expand my cooking skills...I was contemplating risotto as the next venture, but making one of these pies is just too tempting. Manchester seems awful for pies, I've yet to stumble across an independent bakery, they're all chains that offer pretty much the same thing.

I was going to suggest cheese myself, but I thought that would make it an entirely different pie...the veggie option in cumbria seems to be a cheese pie (not to be confused with cheese pasties from Greggs etc), which seems identical to a butter pie really except for the cheese. The one round the corner from my parents house puts a layer of cheese on top of the lid as well which then gets that lovely shepherd's pie-esque texture to it.

I'm going to have to have a go at this, I've been trying to expand my cooking skills...I was contemplating risotto as the next venture, but making one of these pies is just too tempting. Manchester seems awful for pies, I've yet to stumble across an independent bakery, they're all chains that offer pretty much the same thing.

I agree.Although it`s nice to come up with varying options,if you add cheese and some of the other ingredients that Colin suggested (thanks for the tips on the pastry by the way,i will try it next time! :tu: ),it then becomes a totally different pie due to the strength in taste of the ingredients.

I remember a chef once saying sometimes the best dishes are the ones with the simplest and minimal amount of ingredients.

EDIT: I do reccommend though boiling the sliced potatoes first in veg stock and then add a couple of spoonfuls of stock to the pie.

If anybody tries some of the above suggestions,please let me know how you have gone on. :tu:

Rather galvanised by this thread I've just made a butter pie.

I stuck by the potato/onion/butter filling but stuck a bit of sage in there & a few "bullet" peas from the garden which I boiled for ten minutes to tenderise. A good crunch of salt & pepper.

It's cooling off in the kitchen............

What about pea pies!! You can get them in Darren, across from the anchor.

Not if Colin gets his way!! He wants to shut that pie shop down by building a bus lane through it!!

:o

Not if Colin gets his way!! He wants to shut that pie shop down by building a bus lane through it!!

:o

You'll be standing in the "Naughty Corner" if you don't behave yourself.

• 9 months later...

I did end up making this from the recipe on here a few months ago and it was delicious. Still can't quite get the pastry to be like a proper bakery though. Adding a strong cheese definitely added a lot to the flavour, and I did underestimate the amount of butter needed to stop it being dry the first time round.

I did end up making this from the recipe on here a few months ago and it was delicious. Still can't quite get the pastry to be like a proper bakery though. Adding a strong cheese definitely added a lot to the flavour, and I did underestimate the amount of butter needed to stop it being dry the first time round.

Try adding some vegetable stock to the butter,just gives it a little more flavour without it drying up. :tu:

Archived