BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City Preview

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who can recall our last home game with Hull? league cup first round in 91. Payton (spit) scored for them in a 1-1 draw. Not sure who equalised but it may of been Lee Richardson.

Hull beat us 1-0 in the away leg. Another away defeat to Ipswich meant Jack Walker had enough, Don Mackay was sacked, King Kenny came in, Rovers won the play-offs, then became the 4th best team in the land, then the 2nd best, then the League Champions.

Thanks Hull :lol:

Mr Foolham ... I thought you had been around here long enough to realise Rovers are never a home banker

:D

I know I have been building Rovers up but there only decent players are Boateng and Myhill. Geovanni drifts in and out of games. Folan is big burly striker but he is crap. I didn't take notice of Marlon King, he could be a threat as well Dean Windass.

Well no new singings again so I imagine that it is going to be exactly the same team with Emerton taking someones position on the bench - maybe Tugay's. It would be cruel for Reid to instantly lose his place.

Hull are a different proposition to Everton - they will have more energy going forward and be more compact in defence. Although I said theoretically we have two teams in our squad better than Hull realistically they will be on a high after last week, and be looking to colse us down at every opportunity. Not in the bag by a long stretch of the imagination.

I would love to see Villanueva get a run out at some point. And the key player for us again is going to be Dunn - he is our only player who can really be described as "creative" so we need him to supply qualtiy from the centre of midfield.

Looking forward to it.

It´s a piece of cake or very frustrating match. Either way Rovers will score atleat once and that´s enough. Interesting to see line-up. Somehow I feel this could be Benni´s final chance. But Roberts was very strong against Toffees. And is Emerton starting as a winger? Kind of hope not. Would be a nightmare to see he performing strong and Ince telling he´s good enough. And there´s still Carlos. Of course Ince may give Axe more starts. Toffees 2nd game from Andre´s side but he did score the winner. Simpson must have his chances too. Should Nelsen get early break. He has travelled a lot and it could be vice decision to get some rest. We actually do have very strong squad. Only lacks that winger from my point of view.

Robbo

Simpson-Ooijer-Samba-Warnock

Reid-Dunn-Axe-Gamst

Benni-RSC

Brown

Nelsen

Emerton (sub. Reid)

Derbs

Roberts

Carlos (sub. Dunn)

Tracey (sub. Gamst)

I am so looking forward to this game.

Welcome back to Ewood Park, Hull City.

I remember the days in the 1950's when we were in the Second Division {labelled "The Championship" now} entertaining teams such as Hull City, Doncaster Rovers, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth Argyle and Lincoln City as well as the bigger clubs. We were quite a good side then but results were never a foregone conclusion.

Let's hope the Tigers don't become another bogey side for us.

I cannot see it.

Must forecast a win. Hope it's not the kiss of death. :rolleyes:

The bookies really fancy Santa Cruz to score, in fact Coral are only offering 14/1 on him to get a hatrick! The biggest odds I found were 33/1.

Coral's price is ridiculous considering you can get 33/1 on Betfair for a hatrick being scored during the game, no matter whom by.

It´s a piece of cake or very frustrating match. Either way Rovers will score atleat once and that´s enough. Interesting to see line-up. Somehow I feel this could be Benni´s final chance. But Roberts was very strong against Toffees. And is Emerton starting as a winger? Kind of hope not. Would be a nightmare to see he performing strong and Ince telling he´s good enough. And there´s still Carlos. Of course Ince may give Axe more starts. Toffees 2nd game from Andre´s side but he did score the winner. Simpson must have his chances too. Should Nelsen get early break. He has travelled a lot and it could be vice decision to get some rest. We actually do have very strong squad. Only lacks that winger from my point of view.

Robbo

Simpson-Ooijer-Samba-Warnock

Reid-Dunn-Axe-Gamst

Benni-RSC

Brown

Nelsen

Emerton (sub. Reid)

Derbs

Roberts

Carlos (sub. Dunn)

Tracey (sub. Gamst)

Yes of course, having our right winger perform well would be terrible :rolleyes: .

One of two things will happen this afternoon.

Either we will see at least a pointer to the new attacking, creative football that Ince promised us, or everyone will see that without Bentley, we have no means of opening up even the poorest of teams.

4:45 should answer some of that.

One of two things will happen this afternoon.

Either we will see at least a pointer to the new attacking, creative football that Ince promised us, or everyone will see that without Bentley, we have no means of opening up even the poorest of teams.

4:45 should answer some of that.

Thats noit really how football works though is it. There are teams with good players, and teams with bad players, but really the tactics and so on are just as important.

Last week we tore apart Everton because they had little pace and penetration to get behind our defence, yet as they were at home and (by last years league placing) theoretically a better team they were not going to sit back. So we could force them into their half against their will and find space

Hull by no means have a team as good as Everton's but they will approach the game completely differently - probably sitting very deep and looking to hit us on the break. This could end up being successful for them and result in us losing, or it might not work. It's hard to say until we get out there.

But if we do lose it doesn't suddenly make us a rubbish team just like winning last week did not suddenly make us a very good one. It's all about having the right players and the right tactics (and not to mention some luck) for each type of game.

I just hope people don't go overboard. THis is the sort of game where bentley would be extraordinarily useful as we will get time and room to pass it around and have to be clever to unlock them. And also it is the sort of game where Roberts, Emerton and Mokeona are likely to look useless as it will be less about running and physicalty and more about passing (maybe McCarthy could have an impact here as he would actually be able to get close to the oppositon goal....).

But just because we could lose against Hull does not mean we are woefully inadequate against every team in the league. Football is not a one dimensional game. It is highly strategic and varies all the time. Thats why even the best teams lose against unlikely oppostion.

Remember it is horses for courses....

Archived