BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Record Transfer Fee

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way, Andy Cole cost nothing like £8 million...

The fee was £4 million down plus about £1 million in extras.

I don't know who that leaves as record signing...Grabbi?

Holy crap. That was a fricken bargain!

Wrong, it's David Bentley. Think about how much we've paid Arsenal for him in total....

According to nicko we'd payed £3m for him by the time he left and then had to give Arsenal a further 50% of his profit (£6m). That already makes him £9m and it will raise to £10m should the £2m add-ons get paid to us from Spurs.

Here's an idea, why not scrap that £1m for Andrews and add it to the Joaquin fund if price is an issue? Are we talking £2m here because seeing as we've got £20m I'll be a little miffed if we miss out on him over price...

You're a little bit silly to suggest that, surely? Just because the net monies may balance out to an amount, doesn't amount to a transfer. Plus the figures are based on speculation anyways.

Clearly, the reason for the massive sell-on (being the operative word) clause was a commercial gamble by Rovers on getting Bentley, set against perceived risk - hence the low fee.

Um no you don't subtract the amount you sold him for from how much he cost to get the value, that's just stupid.

It's pretty simple really, how much did we pay for David Bentley? £3m + £6 = £9m. Spurs gave us the £15m, we then have to give 6 of it to Arsenal on top of the 3 we've already given them. I don't see how you can't see that we've paid £9m to Arsenal for David Bentley's services. Add-on clauses ARE relevant, otherwise are you saying that if Bentley fulfils his clauses then Spurs still only paid £15m for him? No, it would then become £17m.

Or easier, do you count Jo as costing £19m (the total values inc add-ons) or do you only count the £5m or so they've paid up front?

Did you go to the Ken Dodd School Of Accounting?

How much was kevin davies when he came?

Too much.

I think it was about £6 million with Beattie going the other way in a separate deal...and Rovers getting a percentage of a sell-on...and that was all tied into the one 'swap.'

That was one of the most bizarre stories I ever got. A guy in a shop in Macclesfield picked up his phone one day and got a crossed line, with Rovers and Southampton negotiating the fee and he listened in. He rang the Mirror and the whole thing checked out.

Honest.

Gave him away for very little, mind.

I think most would agree he was great value for our football club at £8m, let alone £4m. What were the extras, and did we ever pay them? I'd assume one was staying up the season he signed.....

I think most would agree he was great value for our football club at £8m, let alone £4m. What were the extras, and did we ever pay them? I'd assume one was staying up the season he signed.....

I think there was a survival bonus plus extra played after appearances...might not even have reached the extra £1 million.

Agreed. We'd have been in danger of going down without him and he did score that goal in the cup final. Shame he fell out with Souness because he shouldn't have been sold so soon.

What do some people not understand? It is so simple.

We paid Arsenal in total £9million for David Bentley. Is that a fact or not?

We paid United £8million for Cole or paid ternana £7.5 million for Grabbi? Fact or not?

The fact is we paid Arsenal the most amount of money for any of our players, therefore, making him our RECORD SIGNING!!

How hard is that to understand?

I don't think this 'debate' has a definitive answer ultimately - even if some more of the accountancy-minded folk on here get involved.

There's two distinct factors under debate here - the accountancy practice element and the amounts (based on speculation) in question.

1) What constitutes a transfer fee anyway? With so many add-ons etc.

2) How can any amounts actually be proven anyways (even with some Ken Dodd accounting) - unless one actually sees audited accounts we'll never know.

3) I hope to Christ those that seemingly don't understand basic commerce - such what is a purchase, a sale, and future revenues - get a job at Man City.

People are also getting bogged down with the breakdown/payment structure of deals. I thought it was standard practice to split a fee in instalments, and I guess if one could determine from JW - or someone at an equal level of knowledge - how transfer deals are considered in terms of revenue we'd have more clarity. At the moment - like most things on here - it's counter bluff to suit arguments verging on 'Modern Jackass' territory.

Saying that, I could do with some creative accounting services similar to those seen on this thread.

What do some people not understand? It is so simple.

We paid Arsenal in total £9million for David Bentley. Is that a fact or not?

We paid United £8million for Cole or paid ternana £7.5 million for Grabbi? Fact or not?

The fact is we paid Arsenal the most amount of money for any of our players, therefore, making him our RECORD SIGNING!!

How hard is that to understand?

You can't state anything as fact that's based on speculation.

Such as - the amount we initially paid for DB, the amount we had paid at time of sale, the value of any clauses, the total revenues etc.

Even if you were the auditor (which I hope not), what you'd be publishing isn't always what actually was transacted. It's a moot point TBH. My suggestion is the official club records would arguably be the best source if you were that bothered.

Are you involved in any commercial capacity in any employment you do?

Well from my point of view as a guy who has ran a few companies and kind of does for a small company now ;).. you can't mess around with the original figures, a sell on fee is not counted.

Some deals I do have sell on fees... I take a bit of software (or code for software) and repackage, rebrand, tweak it and rebuild it.. they get a cut of the end sale and I get a cut (always more than I paid for it and costs to change it).. but I never could consider the cost of the sell on fee as what I paid for it because when I bought it the stupid thing (in this case bentley) it was not worth that much, it takes time (in Bentleys case 1st team experience) to make it worth while selling.

In simple terms you buy something you improve it... you sell it.. you pay a larger ammount to start with if you dont have a sell on clause (Bents would of cost how much without a sell on fee?).. a smaller ammount it you do but risk it not working out...

In the most simplistic terms was BENTLEY worth 9mil when we signed him? No we turned him into something worth 15mil, by your own maths we should count the profit we made on bentley as well?

the fee for david bentley was £3m and included in this £3m was an agreement that they got a share of the future profits if there was to be any. that was part of the agreement of the TRANSFER FEE which was £3m.

the £15m recieved from spurs, therefore was not ours to give to arsenal!

a profit of 12m was made on the player. our entitlement was 6m and so was arsenals because this was a pre-agreement. we did not "pay" arsenal a further £6m pounds - it was already theirs by contractual agreement

Those people who think David Bentley is our record signing can keep thinking that. The official record signing is Andy Cole. accept it and live with it. no one will admit they are wrong.

I am just stating that Andy Cole is our record transfer - and that is because the official statistic says so!

Archived