BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Roberts

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In an Ideal world you would have a striker who can ease the scoring load of RSC, with Roberts being used as an impact player, where IMO is where he is most effective.

Roberts creates loads of chances for others though. And he does not just help out his strike partenr but the entire team. You could see at Everton how Roberts constant running, use of pace and physical battering of the Everton back line forced them incredibly deep. As soon as he came off for Benni Everton just marched straight up the field.

He makes it easier for everybody, creates room for everybody. I am encouraged that this guy Pinto seems like a similar "battering ram" (apparently his nickname is the "tank" - although did Left Winger write that?)and Ollic who we are checking out has serious pace. People like this make it hard for the opposition to pin you in - a real problem we had last season.

Roberts was exceptional on Sat and I think he will continue to be vital for Rovers over the coming months. Defenders will not get a moments rest and Cruz will be afforded much more room than he otherwise would.

Roberts, just does not = goals, it is a pity, I like his style, if he could weigh in with around 1 in 2.5 it would make a big difference.

To do that he needs a good run in the team, maybe he will get that under Ince.

This is more than likely why we are looking for a CF.

If Roque has any sort of problem, we will struggle for goals.

Like Emerton, when Roque plays for his country, it's 24hrs travelling not the best preparation for a Saturday fixture.

Will also have the same problem with pineapple, and Grella EDit if we sign him.

Jesus we need a big squad, even without European football.

Come on Ince sign the lot. We don't care.

We just want to finish in top six. PLEASE. :rolleyes:

Roberts, just does not = goals, it is a pity, I like his style, if he could weigh in with around 1 in 2.5 it would make a big difference.

To do that he needs a good run in the team, maybe he will get that under Ince.

This is more than likely why we are looking for a CF.

If Roque has any sort of problem, we will struggle for goals.

It could be that Ince's strategy might benefit Roberts in that he gets involved more . In the Everton game we were far more fluid and counter attacking in our style . Very early days but we need a hard working big bugger up front - Roberts could be even more effective in that role if the midfielders get forward quickly , with pace . A bit less whingeing would help but he's worth far , far more to us than McCarthy .

It could be that Ince's strategy might benefit Roberts in that he gets involved more . In the Everton game we were far more fluid and counter attacking in our style . Very early days but we need a hard working big bugger up front - Roberts could be even more effective in that role if the midfielders get forward quickly , with pace . A bit less whingeing would help but he's worth far , far more to us than McCarthy .

In today's market probably worth a lot more to us, than what we would get for him, and what it would cost to replace him.

Although Olic at 5m is a snip. ;)

Roberts is strong and works hard, but is crap when it comes to scoring goals. I'd sell him if a decent replacement was available. Unlike my dad I appreciate the fact that he works well with Santa Cruz and should start ahead of Benni who doesn't. I'd sell both Benni and Jason, whereas my dad thinks Benni should be kept despite the daft money Sunderland may be offering.

Roberts is the new Dickov, runs his ass off chases down defenders and so on. I love it, personally due to it being a key component of what was "total football" it means we defend from the front aggressively. But he has to score goals, I've posted on the Hull thread that Derb's should start but perhaps it Roberts how should if he can get a couple against them, it could push him on. There's nothing like goals to boost a player, Roberts must know he hasn't done as well as he could off, a couple against Hull could be exactly what he needs.

Roberts is incomparable to Dickov and a much better player. Dickov was a headless runner with heart. Roberts has so many aspects to his game, but his finishing isnt top drawer. He creates so many chances for himself with his power and running. If he could finish he would be a 15 goal a season striker and the perfect partner for Roque.

Best way to describe him is a one in five striker (goals per chances) and they are not half chances. The thing is he gets into clear cut positions, which someone like Roque or Torres would bury...Thats the shame...

Agreed.

Which is why IMO rsc complements him so well. Roque does alot of intellegent running and finds himself in good positions for rebounds and tap ins. Roberts does the dirty work and is a very generous forward who likes to pass the ball to RSC.

Speaking about his generosity always reminds me of his game vs West Brom (or Wigan ??) when he and McCarthy found themselves almost running into eachother to burry a chance and he just layed it onto Benni instead of scoring against his old club. Good Man

Roberts is not as good a player as Dickov was. No way.

Dickov was a much cleverer player than Roberts, and was invaluable in the same context but different classes as Santa Cruz is now.

In Hughes' first season without Dickov we would have gone down, for sure. His football brain was far superior to Roberts', and he scored more goals.

I don;t think he got enough credit for that side of his game, but he bought players in the game and started attacks in ways Roberts never could. His control is also far superior. I think Roberts is a very poor player, and has only ever had one good season in his career. Prior to that season Souness had him on trial and there was hysteria around here.

Roberts is not as good a player as Dickov was. No way.

Dickov was a much cleverer player than Roberts, and was invaluable in the same context but different classes as Santa Cruz is now.

In Hughes' first season without Dickov we would have gone down, for sure. His football brain was far superior to Roberts', and he scored more goals.

I couldn't disagree more. Dickov had no football brain, he only had an on/off switch mentally. And with it off he either got sent off or booked. Ref West Ham away 2005/2006 season opener. His only endearing quality was his work rate and passion. He couldn't finish except for tap-ins, never won a header, no technical skills and whatever pace he once had was gone. You'll also find that quite a few of his goals were penalties, and he missed some of them too. At least Roberts has power and pace that Dickov didn't and also wins a few headers. Their finishing skills are probably equal and they are both more about brute than finesse.

I don;t think he got enough credit for that side of his game, but he bought players in the game and started attacks in ways Roberts never could. His control is also far superior. I think Roberts is a very poor player, and has only ever had one good season in his career. Prior to that season Souness had him on trial and there was hysteria around here.

I think you're mistaking Dickov for Roberto Baggio....

The stats will also show you that Roberts has scored a lot more goals then Dickov throughout his career, and they have comparable careers.

He couldn't finish except for tap-ins, never won a header, no technical skills and whatever pace he once had was gone.

Do you not rem Dickovs goal at Bolton?

BUT 'never won a header' applies more to Roberts than Dickov. Roberts did not win a header all day v Hull. All he did was bend over forwards and claim that he had been pushed in the back. Considering his size advantage Roberts is a far worse header of a ball by far.

Roberts will be a difficult player to mark, and on the plus side if we play to his strengths i.e. ball to feet / down the channels he should prove productive. People on here do not seem to understand that the most difficult chances are the ones that he carves out most... 1 to 1's. A good gkeeper makes the nets look mighty small, rem how many 1 on 1's Brad 'won'?

With the possible exception of Dunny, Roberts was the best player on the pitch on Saturday by a country mile. He is without doubt our second best striker at the moment and should be in the team every time before that now useless waste of space McCarthy.

To compare him with Dickov is gravely insulting.

Indeed Gord.. Many are also forgeting his pearler against Man Utd.

Dickov still had Championship clubs fighting over him this summer, aged 36.

My bet would be Roberts wont when he hits that age.

Why do you care what he will be like at 36? He is our player NOW.

Archived