BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Give Us Our Toilets Back!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, that argument doesn't work both ways though does it? Suppose a Christian male and female wanted to use the room together? As I understand it, some religion's places of prayer only allow access to one sex in certain circumstances; there's a difference in respecting another's religion and amending one's practicing to suit another. There is also an element that the room is there as a facility meant to be used in addition to a normal place of worship; not instead of, and so some concessions would clearly be made. It would just be nice to be clear about what is/isn't acceptable and how the room should be used.

So, if one of the beer mob wanted to use the room, would they have to leave their beer out of the room too, as alcohol is banned in some religions?

Once again. You respect another persons religion. Those that have common sense will do that. Do you go round drinking Beer in Church? I very much doubt it.

My religion doesn't allow drinking, however, they still sell Beer at Ewood. Do I or other people complain? NO, because we understand your allowed to drink in your religion so we respect that.

Wikipedia actually. Feel free to distance islam from the said copy and paste.

Feel free to come up with your own ideas how Islam "disrespects" other religions. Like they say, don't believe everything you read ;)

Once again. You respect another persons religion. Those that have common sense will do that. Do you go round drinking Beer in Church? I very much doubt it.

My religion doesn't allow drinking, however, they still sell Beer at Ewood. Do I or other people complain? NO, because we understand your allowed to drink in your religion so we respect that.

Feel free to come up with your own ideas how Islam "disrespects" other religions. Like they say, don't believe everything you read ;)

Not beer, but had some good old swigs of wine though !

As always, this is becoming twisted to the victim mentality. Try and have an objective discussion.

Hey, was only playing devil's advocate :D

RotR, you seem intent on turning this into a pointless religious debate but the main point is why halve one of the busiest mens toilets at Ewood for a politically correct box ticking exercise? Do it elsewhere.

I agree that the positioning of the Multi-Faith Room could have been done in a more ideal position. However, I don't agree with the fact there shouldn't be a Multi-Faith Room at all. It is a great idea by Rovers. However, the location should have been considered. Finally, i'm not turning it into a religious debate, it's just annoying when some members have a swipe at muslims and "blaming" then for this Room, when in fact it is a MULTI-faith room. Not just for Muslims but for EVERY religion!

I agree that the positioning of the Multi-Faith Room could have been done in a more ideal position. However, I don't agree with the fact there shouldn't be a Multi-Faith Room at all. It is a great idea by Rovers. However, the location should have been considered. Finally, i'm not turning it into a religious debate, it's just annoying when some members have a swipe at muslims and "blaming" then for this Room, when in fact it is a MULTI-faith room. Not just for Muslims but for EVERY religion!

At the risk of coming over all Boris Johnson, where did anybody blame the Muslims for this? In this thread, or anywhere, for that matter? If anything, you seem to be making out something that clearly is not there IMO.

I have several issues about this room - the siting, the need, the planning, the application, the policies to start with. What I most certainly do NOT have, is any issues with Muslims that I'm aware of. However, I DO have an issue with anyone that's looking to twist the thread to play the victim/religion/separatist card.

At the risk of coming over all Boris Johnson, where did anybody blame the Muslims for this? In this thread, or anywhere, for that matter? If anything, you seem to be making out something that clearly is not there IMO.

I have several issues about this room - the siting, the need, the planning, the application, the policies to start with. What I most certainly do NOT have, is any issues with Muslims that I'm aware of. However, I DO have an issue with anyone that's looking to twist the thread to play the victim/religion/separatist card.

I guess you haven't read the thread when it was first opened? Then you'll probably see where i'm coming from.

I guess you haven't read the thread when it was first opened? Then you'll probably see where i'm coming from.

No, I've just not seen an entirely objective discussion from yourself since I posted about shoes on the thread, at least one that's not keeping specific religion out of this debate as a whole.

Hey, religion causes enough aggro without it being drilled down into defending/attacking one particular one - it's all not worth the hassle in my book. You seem a sound poster on here, but it seems you're either too touchy on this one or it's too sensitive an issue. There's enough gyp around the world caused by religion to add to it by falling out on here, it's certainly not worth polarising folk, but there's a responsibility on both sides though for that.

Of all the problems with this room, and the fall-out, I don't think any fair or reasonable person would look to 'blame' Muslims though.

I'd read the thread before I posted, and didn't see anything that blamed Muslims. I saw one post that mentioned the concept that Muslims, who it seemingly was aimed at, wouldn't have thought it was a good idea. I think that was a balanced response; I think you will agree if you asked Muslims if they could pick a better location for the room, they would be able to. Then again, the same logic applies to any religion - the location is poor all-round. I also don't think you can deny that the Islamic faith would be a particular demographic they would be looking to include with this room.

The bottom line here is just because someone mentions Muslim in a thread, it doesn't automatically follow they are being disrespectful, it could just be a lack of knowledge or even ignorance, and you don't have to respond. Things can get blown out of all proportion at times, you know?

We will have a multi faith room in each stand soon - the blackburn end is probably the hardest area for them to put one due to the typical moaners, but it wont be long before they are in each stand (Well maybe not the riverside)

The reactions from the fans at the game was to be expected and at first started out with the light hearted 'we want our toilets back' but some of the chants that arose after were prity cringeworthy and I can only see things getting worse, I can only imagine how things would be if we were losing and the ill feeling came down from the stands to the concourse. For me the blame is firmly planted at the door of those responsible for the siting of the multi-FAITH ROOM and I would have liked to of seen their response had they had the wisdom to be on the concourse to see the effects during the half-time interval :angry: one of the craziest thought out ideas seen at Ewood for a long time

It seems a reasonable idea to provide a quiet area where people can take a few moments to pray / contemplate during the working day. It may be more common than we realise.

Quite how anyone would want to / could reflect on life in an ex toilet surrounded by 4000+ football fans on a noisy concourse which reeks of beer is quite beyond me.

A good idea but obviously not a great location.

It seems a reasonable idea to provide a quiet area where people can take a few moments to pray / contemplate during the working day. It may be more common than we realise.

Quite how anyone would want to / could reflect on life in an ex toilet surrounded by 4000+ football fans on a noisy concourse which reeks of beer is quite beyond me.

A good idea but obviously not a great location.

You make a really good point Paul. My assumption yesterday was that the multi faith room would largely serve employees, who are probably in Ewood for 6 hours on a match day and 8 hours a day during the week. They might not choose to use the facilities during the actual game but might want access at some point during their working day (whatever day of the week they work). Many large employers now provide multi faith facilities for their staff and visitors.

However, in my opinion, the location of the room was very ill thought through.

I was amused by the 'give us our toilets back song' - the removal of toilets and beer being the two things that motivate football fans to protest; I was very uncomfortable when Jack Walker was brought into it and returned to my seat when the singing became explicitly racist. I'm glad that some of those participating in that were thrown out. The whole incident was completely predictable and should have been anticipated. Ewood Park is a pretty vast place; there must have been a more suitable location.

When have we disrespected other faiths?

I'm sorry but you're taking the preverbial right?

You are at the height of self defensive ignorance. As somebody who is not particularly religious, I could really go to town with my opinion with a frankly neutral mindset, but you really aren't worth it. I also wouldn't like to keep my posting abilities.

Anyway, as I said, awful idea. Whilst respectful of all faiths, this is an old and traditional football venue. Why must we continually destroy traditions and our own cultures purely to obide to the woeful PC regularities we now live within.

The siting of the prayer room might not be ideal, but it doesn't excuse some of the pretty ignorant stuff going on here and at the game yesterday. (From where I was sat in the Riverside, I couldn't hear any racist chants)

To accuse people of being over-sensitive or whatever is a commonplace accusation of Muslims in these types of situations, but one incident after the game is instructive. As I walked up Livesey Branch road after the game I heard a few skin-headed lads trying it on with some middle-aged Hull fans, but it was the sight of an Asian shopkeeper in traditional dress sent them over the edge. A load of racist abuse came this poor man's way from two of the lads, as the third popped inside to buy something. Rater foolishly I had a few words with them, "This is my area," "Are you from Feniscowles?" was their response and that was more-or-less that. Big mouths, small brains.

Let's hope the prayer room issue doesn't give the nasties more to complain about.

I've read the thread and it's bordering on going down the route of being closed. BUT there is definitely a topic here to be discussed as long as it can be done in a suitable way.

I have no issues with having a multi faith room but think the location is all wrong. Nosiest, busiest part of the ground is not the place to put it. also removing a much needed section of an already busy toilet block was probably not the best route to go down.

I was in the BBE corner of the Jack Walker yesterday so heard the chants of 'We want out toilets back' which I thought was quite innocent and ammusing, didn't hear the other stuff so cant really comment on that.

So, basically, most of the security personnel in the Blackburn end are being employed in keeping people that they don't think really want to be in there out of the multi-faith room?

And throwing out those who protest?

GREAT use of resources. There should be a multi-faith room FOR EMPLOYEES somewhere in the bowels of the ground. Use whoever thought of this bright idea's office. For others, Rovers is the religion on a Saturday. so FIFO- as my old boss used to say.

And throwing out those who protest?

I was stood in that area of the concourse during half time and the begining of the second half. Many people protested and were listened to with respect by the stewards and police. As far as I could see, it was only those singing racist songs (and therefore breaking the law) that were thrown out.

Archived