BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Grimsby

Hasta

Like everyone else I really enjoyed the game Wednesday night.

We all knew that there would be changes but I was surprised by the number. When we started playing I felt that there were one or two people like Simpson and Carlos who were trying that bit too hard ( not that this is totally a bad thing ). This trying too hard lead to the Grimsby goal with a needless free kick being given away. I thought for a while we really looked lost. The people who were nervous at the start looked more nervous, Grimsby’s confidence grew and I didn’t see how we were going to get back into the game. I thought at this stage that Emerton was outstanding his runs were really penetrative.

Carlos’s goal was fantastic. It was a joy to behold. The question is of course can he do it against better opposition or with Vidic say breathing down his neck ? I hope and think so but he does not mind taking a shot from distance, he hits the ball sweetly and he can make room for himself to get a shot in. I cannot remember when I was last so impressed with someone I had seen for the first time. When he stepped up to take the free kick he was full of confidence and from his body language you could read “ I can do this “. Stunning shot as good as anything. He could have had 4 that night.

Mokowana was also very impressive. He makes very few mistakes. He got his head on the ball to everything that came his way. His passes nearly always found his man. They are not magnificent defence splitting passes the length of the pitch but very useful non the less. And they are getting longer and more frequently towards the opposition goal. He also goes on a run more frequently. Not runs were he beats people like Bently did, but more taking the ball forward into unoccupied areas. On a different day he could have been my MOM vying with Emerton.

Tracy looked surprisingly comfortable and at home. Simpson had aggression and talent. Not the finished article but certainly has potential if he is not too old. I usually think that Pederson has made more of a contribution than many people and certainly felt he played well wednesday night. Great move for the 4th goal. It would have beaten far better defences than Grimsby.

Derbyshire was on the spot for his first goal and his second was excellent. . I often think that he does not make his presence felt enough at some stages of the match even when he goes on to score one or more goals. Don’t know if this is unfair or misguided. Certainly he was unlucky not to score more

I had hoped that Blackburn would get a cricket score. Even though they didn’t they had shed loads of chances kept going and were unlucky not to do so.

I was surprised to see both Judge and Marshall get a game. This is well done by Ince. Judge who has impressed in the reserves was unlucky not to have the ball break his way more often. Marshall who has not really impressed in the reserves when I have seen him, did have the ball break his way, handled the situations well and will no doubt be especially pleased with the night. .

So a thoroughly enjoyable time all round . The big question “Is Carlos a 20 goal a season man who will surprise the opposition on numerous occasions, .” The exciting answer is yes, perhaps he is.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived