BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Local Footy

Thats a dismal end!

Although its amazing how the momentum shifts in amateur football. Had a pre season run out last Sunday and after goin 3-1 down within 10 mins in the second half, went on to win 7-4 and all against the slope!

7-4! had a few of those scores when I used to play sundays, lost 19-2 once, we only had 9 men!! I do remember another sunday morning when we played a local side in a league double header, we lost 9-2 & 15-0, Gavin Geddes had just been released by Brighton & Hove Albion & was playing for our oppenents, he destroyed us with his finishing!!

Good luck Rog for the season, hope it goes well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was right back when i first started playing in junior school. lost my way with than and converted to keeper in my high school days, was one of the best for my age group, only person to do better than myself was a lad called zack jones at darwen vale, he got scouted by blackburn, though not sure if he is still playing at that level. i then left vale and when to queens park, was alway the first choice for keeper there, even ended up playing for the year 11s when i was in year 9. best game i ever had was against QEGS, we lost 3-1 but i was on fire that day, saved every 1 on 1 in the first half. got off to a great start in the 2nd when they hit a low hard shot to my bottom corner, i managed to get down and some how flip it over the bar. about 15 mins from the end my defence went to pot, we where 1 up and they just gave up. their first was a very nice diving header, was 3 on 2 for that one, saved the first shot but didnt parry it out far enough and couldnt get up quick enough to stop the rebound, 2nd took a deflection. and the 3rd was a penalty for a apparent hand ball. towards the end of school i became quite a decent CDM.

after my school days i played up at JJB soccer dome. up there i either played a defending role or in the nets. then due to work that went out the window.

kinda lost my way a bit now, though i think i could probs get back the standard i used to play after a few weks of training ext. i want to start playing again, hopefully on a sunday, i just cant seem to find any teams.

Played last 2 years of Juniors, then Secondary school, but lost out to the bigger boys. It is a shame this happens in England. End up with teams full of BIG strong Fast lads with relativly little skill.

Played Sunday League full of beer in 20s and 30s.. after I grew up and put a bit of meat on. I was always one of the most skillful inteligent players on either side, just never fit enough to do myself justice.

I play for a Saturday side in the Staffordshire County league, We have just won the league and have been promoted to Div1, if anyone fancies a pre season friendly then we would be up for it, we would travel away (some of the lads would love a away trip/beers) or your side could come to us, it is in the Stoke area.

Anyone fancy it? We are an ok side, we try to play good football and are not a bunch of meatheads/kickers.

• Backroom
Played last 2 years of Juniors, then Secondary school, but lost out to the bigger boys. It is a shame this happens in England. End up with teams full of BIG strong Fast lads with relativly little skill.

Played Sunday League full of beer in 20s and 30s.. after I grew up and put a bit of meat on. I was always one of the most skillful inteligent players on either side, just never fit enough to do myself justice.

Sounds a bit like me to be fair, I think I've always had the brain for it and I used to have the fitness and speed, nowadays though not so much (and I'm only 25) Being 5'7 and not having much weight on doesn't help at park level.

Played around a bit, Langho juniors then onto Langho a few years ago then onto Woodlands Reserves on Sundays.

Now I just play in the soccerdome and the like but may sign on for Rishton to play the odd game for the reserves next season when numbers are low, thing is i wont give up my season ticket so have no chance of holding a place down even if i were to warrant one.

Played at primary school level where we won the jubilee shield (any one remember that?). Then played at secondary school level as well as playing for islington boys and then clitheroe fc youth team (where we won the cup). Also played once for lancashire against cheshire.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to play for a local youth team near Blackburn. We lost almost every game and always finished bottom i think for the 7 years I played for them. I've just joined a semi pro team in Germany. Made my debut this week for the seconds but need to make it to the firsts to get paid. Train 4 times a week and seems to be hardcore running for 1.5 hours then kick a ball a bit then a bit more running to finish off. Think the first team was the second biggest team in Hannover until recently.

Are there any other rovers fans in Hannover? A few German mates are now rovers fans so will take them to Ewood later this season hopefully.

I play for a local team in South West London called Streatham Stanley FC. New club, last season was 1st one. Finished 5th in the league and reached semi finals of 2 cups.

Good laugh and keeps the fitness ticking over....(plus i'm players player and managers player of the year - which means i'm a likeable guy who kisses the managers arse, haha)

The Royal Navy's side (Youth, U21 and Full)

The Naval Air Command

Had a trial @ Norwich City and was told "Good effort, but we've shed loads of Centre Halves" Want to know who was one of them that day? Mr Chris Sutton.

Then 10 years @ the Mighty Ossy St. Mary's !!! LOL (Blooming great bunch of lads though and a great crack)

Royal Navy Novices (u19) 1983

Royal Navy 1984

Scottish Navy Command team 1984-86

Wheelton Rovers aka Red Lion FC Chorley Sunday League

When men played for the fun of it tanked up after the night before !!!

I play for a local team in South West London called Streatham Stanley FC. New club, last season was 1st one. Finished 5th in the league and reached semi finals of 2 cups.

Good laugh and keeps the fitness ticking over....(plus i'm players player and managers player of the year - which means i'm a likeable guy who kisses the managers arse, haha)

Where in Streatham? I'm 2 blocks from Tooting Common, in the edges of Streatham Hill.

If you guys are a crap team and need a crap player, let me know!

Play up there on a Tuesdays for what was Kazakstan we are now known as The Hurricanes.

Wheey; think i've played against you a few times then.

I used to play for the sly dogs, but my knee went so I had to pack tuesdays in.

Anyone play local footy in Manchester?

I've been playing in Taiwan for the last ten years, but I'm back in Manchester now and wondering how to find a team

Play vets football (over 35s) in S Manchester on Sun mornings so it depends on your age B&W. Otherwise for younger (fitter!) players I recommend contacting West Didsbury who have a good set up - good pitch, club house etc. based in Chorlton. What's your position and standard?

Where in Streatham? I'm 2 blocks from Tooting Common, in the edges of Streatham Hill.

If you guys are a crap team and need a crap player, let me know!

We train on Tooting Bec Common, over the road from the Athletics Track, so quite close I imagine! We're pre season training at the moment, Sundays at 10:00. You're welcome to come down - I don't think any of us are amazing!

I live near Battersea Arts Centre in Clapham Junction :)

Play vets football (over 35s) in S Manchester on Sun mornings so it depends on your age B&W. Otherwise for younger (fitter!) players I recommend contacting West Didsbury who have a good set up - good pitch, club house etc. based in Chorlton. What's your position and standard?

I'm 32, centre mid last 2 or 3 years, played upfront before that and can also defend, not sure what standard really as I've been playing in Taiwan the past ten years where the opposition included some very very good players and some not so good, I was offered the captaincy/asst manager just before I left and was playing better than I'd ever done before. Been away so long don't know many people here now and have no contacts whatsoever in football.

My mates and I have all joined together to start an XI a-side Sunday League team these last few months. We're pretty awful and there are so many things I want to change in terms of starting formations and line ups etc, and one or two people I'd love to bugger off but, seeing as this has been a dream of mine the last five years or so, I'm just really happy that it's all come together.

Unfortunately, I've been out of the game for eighteen months now, but am slowly, slowly beginning to get back to fitness. In the space of about two months, I've gone from barely being able to break walking pace, to playing 90 minute training matches and then, last week, the final 30 of a competitive game. Within five minutes I'd got an assist with a really good through ball and then played an absolute beauty in for our striker to subsequently squander.

I play CM. When fit, I tend to sit a bit deeper and let our star player do his thing. However, I get plenty of opportunities to break forward and play some nice passes and I like to carry the ball as much as possible. Got a game tomorrow actually, so should get another 30 mins under my belt. Fingers crossed I don't hurt myself.

I recently joined a team called AC Milan, playing in a league just outside Atlantic City. Everyone in the squad apart from me is from Honduras or Puerto Rico and speaks Spanish and their hero is Wilson Palacios. I don't understand a word they say (why do they keep calling me pendejo, and hijo de puta? :P ) and the football is quite different to in England - slower paced, skillful but tactically unaware, but it's going alright so far.

It does give me some sympathy for non-English speaking players in the EPL. Or non-French speakers at L'Arse.

My mates and I have all joined together to start an XI a-side Sunday League team these last few months. We're pretty awful and there are so many things I want to change in terms of starting formations and line ups etc, and one or two people I'd love to bugger off but, seeing as this has been a dream of mine the last five years or so, I'm just really happy that it's all come together.

Unfortunately, I've been out of the game for eighteen months now, but am slowly, slowly beginning to get back to fitness. In the space of about two months, I've gone from barely being able to break walking pace, to playing 90 minute training matches and then, last week, the final 30 of a competitive game. Within five minutes I'd got an assist with a really good through ball and then played an absolute beauty in for our striker to subsequently squander.

I play CM. When fit, I tend to sit a bit deeper and let our star player do his thing. However, I get plenty of opportunities to break forward and play some nice passes and I like to carry the ball as much as possible. Got a game tomorrow actually, so should get another 30 mins under my belt. Fingers crossed I don't hurt myself.

been wanting back into 11 a side so if you need a extra player/keeper give me a shout for a trail

Archived