BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mark Bunn

den

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is only a FOUR year gap between them, 24 as opposed to 28 and Andrews has played at a higher level for most of his career Bunn has played at league 2 for most of his career.

Bunn has never played in the Championship, what makes you think that at the age of 24 he can make the step up to the premier league?

There is only a FOUR year gap between them, 24 as opposed to 28 and Andrews has played at a higher level for most of his career Bunn has played at league 2 for most of his career.

Bunn has never played in the Championship, what makes you think that at the age of 24 he can make the step up to the premier league?

FOUR years is a big gap though, Bunn is a keeper and they peak later. What's so hard to understand?

4 years is a long time in terms of a football career. You can buy at 24 and sell on at 28 (and longer for a keeper). If you buy at 28 it's hard to get much for a 32 year old. Think about it.

I can see Bunn signing for Chelsea one day. Interesting to see Ince has scone for another lower league player. This may spell the end of the currant back-up keeper Jason Brown(ie). Some are critical of our new signings, but they could work out and we'd then applaud Ince for using his loaf and getting bargains.

No doubt the headline writers would love to sign any players called Baker or Cherry.

FOUR years is a big gap though, Bunn is a keeper and they peak later. What's so hard to understand?

What makes you think that a 24 year old keeper who has played the vast majority of his career in league 2 can make the step up to the Premier league, FOUR leagues up?

He has never played for a bigger club, has never trained with even championship players, I realise that goal keepers peak later but the point I was making is that you are willing to state that this goal keeper is a "exciting prospect" on the basis of what? Do you see other PL clubs clammering for his signature?

League 2 player of the year- Andrews, Bunn was in the same league.

I am keeping my mind open, as I have with Andrews but the likelihood is there is better chance of Andrews succeeding in the PL than Bunn.

What makes you think that a 24 year old keeper who has played the vast majority of his career in league 2 can make the step up to the Premier league, FOUR leagues up?

He has never played for a bigger club, has never trained with even championship players, I realise that goal keepers peak later but the point I was making is that you are willing to state that this goal keeper is a "exciting prospect" on the basis of what? Do you see other PL clubs clammering for his signature?

I am keeping my mind open, as I have with Andrews but the likelihood is there is better chance of Andrews succeeding in the PL than Bunn.

Keepers don't peak till 28-30, midfielders usually peak around 26-28. Andrews is around his peak whereas Bunn has a lot of time for improvement.

He has never been tested at the highest level so we have no idea how he'll do. Andrews made 65 appearances in 6 years at Wolves who were a Championship team for the most part. Yes he did well at MK Dons but considering he didn't exactly set the Championship on fire it's a fair assumption to say he won't do well in the Premier League either.

Didn't Joe Hart play for someone like Shrewsbury before Man City got him? Mind you is crap, should go back to Shropshire, 4th division players are all rubbish etc. I know he was 18 or so whenhe moved, but goalies can peak in their 30's, so Bunn has time on his side.

Didn't Saint Mark of Wrexham often buy players no-one had heard of, or were dossing round the reserves? I'm thinking of Warnock, Axe, Samba and to a lesser extent Nelsen. Perhaps Ince's time in the lower leagues has meant he has a better idea of who can make it from these tiers than, say, Rafa Benithez who would rather spend £16m on a dobbin who got lucky and scored a few goals in Holland or wherever. Hughes got praised for finding unknowns from abroad, and yet Ince gets slated for trying unknowns from home. Double standards?

Keepers don't peak till 28-30, midfielders usually peak around 26-28. Andrews is around his peak whereas Bunn has a lot of time for improvement.

He has never been tested at the highest level so we have no idea how he'll do. Andrews made 65 appearances in 6 years at Wolves who were a Championship team for the most part. Yes he did well at MK Dons but considering he didn't exactly set the Championship on fire it's a fair assumption to say he won't do well in the Premier League either.

Andrews has never been tested at the highest level either, stick Kuqi up front for United and he would score 15 goals, it depends on the quality of player that you are playing with. Ince stated he has no worries about Andrews making the step up.

I think Bunn could be a success but the chances are lower because he has not even trained with Championship players.

Ince knows a midfield player when he sees one, in the way hughes knew strikers (OK let him off for Kuqi and Jeffers!) and I have no doubts that Andrews will be a success and when he is we can this conversation again!! ;)

What's happened to Robbo and Brown then? I'm sure we have other areas to worry about.............

Nothing has happened to them. But we need to have three keepers, and I suppose this means Fielding will go out on loan again.

What a load of negative, un-thoughtout codswallop. Keepers generally don't get into the first team till later on in their careers.

England goalkeeper Nigel Martyn was playing in the bottom league with Bristol Rovers when he was 23.

Another albeit brief England goalkeeper, Dave Beasant, started at Edgware Town and then progressed through the leagues with Wimbledon.

And finally David Seaman was kicked out of Leeds at 19 deemed 'not good enough'. He had to drop down for a couple of years to the bottom division with Peterborough before working his way back up the leagues with Birmingham and QPR.

It's also worth bearing in mind that for the keepers I've named above it was easier for them to break into first teams at a higher level. There were very few foreign keepers in the league and so they were more likely to be given their chance with league clubs. Nowadays many clubs have cheap foreign keepers as there number two stiffling the chance for English young talent to show.

Regardles, he may well not be good enough and make no impression but how many other second choice goalkeepers have we got through from our previous managers ?

I have slated the Andrews signing heavily, so to prove I am not totally negative, I think this guy will turn out to be a big success! I have heard great reports from Northampton supporters about him. 24 is young for a keeper and its good that Incey is giving a chance to a young lower league player. He has played quite a bit of first team football already which is an advantage, young keepers at prem teams rarely get a chance to play and gain experience of competative footy. He is going to have a tough job getting past Robbo, but good luck to him!

What a load of negative, un-thoughtout codswallop. Keepers generally don't get into the first team till later on in their careers.

England goalkeeper Nigel Martyn was playing in the bottom league with Bristol Rovers when he was 23.

Another albeit brief England goalkeeper, Dave Beasant, started at Edgware Town and then progressed through the leagues with Wimbledon.

And finally David Seaman was kicked out of Leeds at 19 deemed 'not good enough'. He had to drop down for a couple of years to the bottom division with Peterborough before working his way back up the leagues with Birmingham and QPR.

It's also worth bearing in mind that for the keepers I've named above it was easier for them to break into first teams at a higher level. There were very few foreign keepers in the league and so they were more likely to be given their chance with league clubs. Nowadays many clubs have cheap foreign keepers as there number two stiffling the chance for English young talent to show.

Regardles, he may well not be good enough and make no impression but how many other second choice goalkeepers have we got through from our previous managers ?

I am not being negative, I was simply pointing out that there is so much optomism for Bunn, an untried league 2 player, who is 24. However the current league 2 player of the year, who is 4 years older at 28 is slated and certain people have said that he has little chance of success in the premier league, where is the balance?

For the record I think this is a good signing and yet another example of good players to be found in the lower leagues.

The point you make is the exact reason people like Andrews dont get a chance to play in the PL because of managers would rather buy cheap no bodies like Bruno Berner than give British players a chance.

The point you make is the exact reason people like Andrews dont get a chance to play in the PL because of managers would rather buy cheap no bodies like Bruno Berner than give British players a chance.

Maybe. I'll certainly give Andrews a chance.

Difference is Andrews had been tried by 5 clubs before working his way down the leagues to the bottom level. This lad has had 1 club and has obviously been performing well.

Of the two players, Bunn obviously is the one that could 'potentially' be a top Premiership player.

• Backroom
Bunn is only 1" taller, than Brown, that's not going to make that much difference.

Unless he is more agile, and gets to the top corners better.

Ahh but he's got really long arms though :P

Imy9,

Jim Arnold,

Went on to be one of the best goalies in this country having started at a non league club, then theres the legendary Neville Southall from Bury to Everton both made the step up.

Lets hope Inces judgement is just as good with Bunn.

Archived