BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Treacy

One of the few plusses from today was that we seem to finally have a decent product from the Academy. Quick, can cross with both feet, decent physical presence, good technique, can beat his man.

He was up agianst Neill who as we know is a good player and not slow himself and he repeatedly got past him and slung crosses in. Also seems able to cut inside.

This guy coming through is a boon for Ince as he seems much more the Guvnor's type of wide player than Gamst. Personally I think he could potentially be promotes to the starting team. It might also allow us to switch, along with a new right winger, into Ince's favoured 451 formation....

Anyhow, I am going to watch this guys progress with interest. I am sure Pedersen will too.

Treacy should definitely be in line for a start soon. Every one of his crosses tested the West Ham defence. He positioned himself very wide and took every opportunity to take the ball down the line and past the full back.

It's just a shame that Ince hasn't had the courage to persevere with Judge on the right as he has with Treacy on the left. Our "senior" right midfielders, Reid and Emerton, don't deserve to play there. Just as Gamst doesn't deserve to start if he keeps putting in sub-par performances.

One of the few plusses from today was that we seem to finally have a decent product from the Academy. Quick, can cross with both feet, decent physical presence, good technique, can beat his man.

He was up agianst Neill who as we know is a good player and not slow himself and he repeatedly got past him and slung crosses in. Also seems able to cut inside.

This guy coming through is a boon for Ince as he seems much more the Guvnor's type of wide player than Gamst. Personally I think he could potentially be promotes to the starting team. It might also allow us to switch, along with a new right winger, into Ince's favoured 451 formation....

Anyhow, I am going to watch this guys progress with interest. I am sure Pedersen will too.

If he can cross with both feet is there any chance of playing on the right? I remember Duff playing there in his early days at Rovers. If he can play with both feet he would be able to go on the outside as well as cut in.

Best to use the lad as he's being used now. Regular sub appearances for a while longer, rather than put him in too early. The priority at the moment is Keith Treacy, What's best for his development, is best for the club.

Best to use the lad as he's being used now. Regular sub appearances for a while longer, rather than put him in too early. The priority at the moment is Keith Treacy, What's best for his development, is best for the club.

...and persevere with the ineffective Pederson ?

If players aren't cutting it then they have to be replaced with newer , hungrier players . Pederson has been living on easy street for years already .

Good summary , joey BTW ..

• 10 months later...

Nicko (and Tim the Southampton Rover) reports; Treacy to Sheff Utd on loan

Keith Treacy annoyed me the last game of the season, when i took my little sister to meet the players before the game. She wanted all of the players autographs on a football and baseball cap, including the youth players. When we saw Keith Treacy we approached him to get his autograph and I eventually pulled her away from him. He was totally ignoring her holding out her things to be signed and was too busy messing about from his friends shouting and swearing about the Ireland U21 manager and how he will never get to play for Ireland. The club is known as a family club, he turned up to the coach looking half dressed wearing the Rovers suit. He shouldn't be allowed to disgrace the club like this. My sister was disappointed and upset that she didn't get to get his autographs. She is 9 years old.

I did argue that Treacy deserved a first team chance, and I stand by that. He did very well for the ressies and for Ireland U21 and Mark Hughes was the one who first identified the player's potential and gave him his first team debut when he was, I think, only 17 or 18. When he got a chance under Ince, if you can bear to turn your eyes on that fugue, he was impressive. He came on for Gamst and showed directness, running the line and whipping in crosses.

HOWEVER, I did eventually accept that Treacy had had his chances and should be demoted in favour of some other youngster. He did not develop. His biggest weakness, as was clear, was that he lacked vision. Once on the ball, he had little idea of what to do with the ball - if he couldn't sprint down the line. Basically, he's a poor man's Keith Gillespie.

Imo, there is hope for him to become a useful footballer - probably Championship level. What he needs, imo, is an intensive period playing central midfield (something tells me he's not going to be granted that...). If he played CM for a while, his awareness and vision would improve dramatically.

However, I don't care a jot about what he does now - as long as Rovers can sell him for a fair bit of money. (That's where giving a few games to youngsters benefits the club even if they prove not good enough). From everything I've heard about the guy, he's not exactly pleasant or humble. I can't stand these young footballers with prize egos and nothing to justify their self-importance - (a bit like Joe Garner). Frankly, good riddance. Edit: I've just checked and read that Sheff U have signed Kyel Reid and are set to sign Julian Gray and possibly, Tommy Smith (all left wingers). Treacy's chances do not seem good - if he signs!

I'm not sure how he'll do at Sheff Utd who, under Blackwell, play hoofball. Hopefully, amongst the cloggers, he'll stand out a little and we'll bag our money the way Alex Ferguson has bagged devious millions from his young crappy cast-offs.

(Side note; Treacy will be linking up with Andy Taylor at Sheff Utd, on their left flank.)

Like you say - he just seems to get the ball and run in a straight line to the corner flag, yes he showed glimpses of pace, but his crossing was nothing special and he lacks that bit of skill to come inside and cause havoc.

Hope he does well for Sheff Utd

Still cant believe Sam is getting rid of so many poor players - the man must have some Vision.

Who knows - he could really push on after a run of games in the Championship. We never really saw it but he has always been highly rated. It's up to him now, he's got a good chance to show what he can do.

Let's not give him too much stick, he could come good.

Not up to it at all. No passion, no guile, no tricks, no pace, no strength.

If he brings his usual game to the Championship he will fare no better. It really is alarming if he is the best our Academy has to offer.

Yep, I'd agree there. I'd be suprised (but pleased for the lad, and for us cos it might mean a decent fee) if he comes to terms with the standard of the Championship. Lower leagues level from what I've seen.

Not up to it at all. No passion, no guile, no tricks, no pace, no strength.

If he brings his usual game to the Championship he will fare no better. It really is alarming if he is the best our Academy has to offer.

Which would still be an improvement over Morten the Ghost.

Which would still be an improvement over Morten the Ghost.

yeh, because Peds never has any strength to win headers or anything,

Don't forget his lack of passion tho; especially when him and Robinson came together towards the end of last season...

:rolleyes:

Sheffield Utd are to announce two signings tomorrow at a 1pm press conference.

It seems strange that they would sign Treacy when they seem intent on signing Julian Gray, Glenn Little and Tommy Smith...! Overload of lefties, me thinks.

So Treacey has officially gone to Sheff Utd now, does anyone know if they have a future fee set in place, makes no mention of it on the official site, might suggest we haven't completley given up on him if he can improve.

He looked a decent prospect when he first came on the scene, seems to have taken 1 step forward and 2 steps back since then.

I'm very surprised. I was never too sure of Treacy when he played, but he was still an option to use on the left. We now have Pedersen, Van Heerden and Diouf who can play in that position. Van Heerden is completely unproven, whilst Diouf will probably be needed on the right. We need squad players and Treacy was certainly that, so to let him go to Sheffield United on loan is a strange move in my opinion.

I'm very surprised. I was never too sure of Treacy when he played, but he was still an option to use on the left. We now have Pedersen, Van Heerden and Diouf who can play in that position. Van Heerden is completely unproven, whilst Diouf will probably be needed on the right. We need squad players and Treacy was certainly that, so to let him go to Sheffield United on loan is a strange move in my opinion.

Are you forgetting Olssen and Warnock for left midfield?

I don't think we'll miss him this season, he's looked woeful the past year or so and as I said really taken a step back.

Still think he showed signs of promise when he first burst on to the scene though, if he can rekindle that at Sheff Utd this season then he could still have a future at the club, think he has a lot of improving to do though. That's why I was wondering if there was a fee set to make it permanent or if no future fee has been set as we still see a future for him, would be interesting to know.

All in all I think Pedersen, Van Heerden, Diouf, Olsson and even putting Doran or Judge out left give us better options than Treacey.

Are you forgetting Olssen and Warnock for left midfield?

I don't feel Olsson is better in that position than Treacy. Warnock can play in that position but I believe he is better playing in a central midfield role rather than as an attacking winger.

I do believe Treacy was very poor at times last season, but I would rather have him on the bench than out on loan.

Treacy was good at running the ball into no-man's land. If we really need his ilk, we'll pluck someone from the U18s.

Although he certainly didn't set the world alight, Treacy has still played in that position and has gained valuable experience from doing so. Hopefully he will do well at Sheffield United and come back to Rovers a better player, as he has the potential to do well for us - especially when you consider his age.

Another U18 player could be similar to Treacy - good prospect but lacks the decisive quality. I would rather Rovers play it safe and play Treacy instead of a completely unproven U18 player as it is really important that we are stronger on the left than we were last season and do not take big gambles by playing youth.

Surely we have all seen enough of Treacy to know he is not PL standard just now. Whether we have a replacement available or not is a non-issue as he is not a replacement for anything himself at the moment.

I hope for his sake he shines at Sheff U and shows sufficient ability to be a PL contender a year from now.

Archived